Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Roof
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
B&J
Happy Campers

Safest ladder

I have the need to get on my Airstream roof. What is the best and safest way to do this? What type of ladder is the best/safest (three legged, extension ladder, step ladder, etc.)?
2005 CCD International 28 foot
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J View Post
I have the need to get on my Airstream roof. What is the best and safest way to do this? What type of ladder is the best/safest (three legged, extension ladder, step ladder, etc.)?
A regular ladder works just fine.

Lean the ladder against the top of the window frame so that it rests on the drip cap. That works from 1969 until present.

If you have a 68 or older, place a small piece of carpet against the shell where the carpet meets the shell. That prevents scratches.

When your on the roof, DO NOT walk forward of the first main bow, or rearward of the last main bow. You can also use the awning rail as a guide.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Safest ladder is an oxymoron.

I used this setup when replacing the air conditioner on my trailer a few years ago. It is the creation of Zeppelinium and worked out very well. Any journey to the roof of the trailer is an adventure. There are places you can step (rivet lines) and places you should not (end caps). Any mistakes can be costly to your trailer and to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00407.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	139873  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
As Richard says, there is NO safe ladder, especially around Airstreams. I have a set of wooden tripod ladders up north that I feel best on, but down south I borrow what is available, wrap towels around the ends and GO EASY. Best to use any of those devices before toddy time.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
You are going to get a lot of answers on what is the best ladder. If you are home, and your use is at home only, Richards solution is ideal, or a ladder system that can do double duty around the house.

My shop ladders at home in storage were too long in the stored position to fit into our van, and we have been on the road for two years, away from the storage unit.

Our solution for roof access is with a multi position Werner 13 foot ladder, and it fits in the back of the van easily. A ladder of this multi position design, can be carried when traveling, and be used at home also.

Buy a ladder that is long enough to fit the job, strong enough (300lb), and short enough to fit in your tow vehicle if needed.
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
No safe ladder

Ladders are unstable when leaned 15 ft. up an apple tree. Ask mehow I know this. Also 2 wks ago, while hanging the extension ladder up on the garage wall it slipped and came down the top of my forearm leaving a very nasty cut. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
As a painting contractor I spend countless hours on ladders, often 40 footers. The trick is to be extremely focused on what you are doing and always take just a moment and think before you make your next move. Take your time.
When on my Airstream roof, I wear non slip boat shoes and lean the ladder against the awning rail. The non-skid stuff people use to line cabinets or put under rugs to prevent slippage is a good thing to put between the ladder and the Airstream to reduce the possibility of the ladder sliding side to side as you exit or get back onto the ladder. Coming off the roof back onto the ladder is the most dangerous part--take your time and have a helper on the ground holding the ladder stable.
I would also suggest that you park the trailer in the grass so that if you should happen to come off the roof you at least land on something softer than concrete and chances of injury are reduced.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you're going to take the ladder on the road with you, take a look at Tele-Steps extension ladders. The one I got goes from about 30" tall collapsed to over 8' tall extended. It fits in a storage compartment for travel.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Anybody rig up a pulley and harness like the factory service center uses? I wonder if something outdoors could be fashioned for safety, perhaps some sort of permanent guide mounted on the Airstream to attach to or cross over?? I can't see me ever risking the aerial walk without a strap or net. Leaving the security of a ladder rung to climb a tall slippery slope scares the dickens out of me. I would love to have a platform that would enable easy access but that isn't going to happen.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Cantrell that was some great advice.

I have a 24' extension ladder. I generally keep it separated as I don't always need the length and it is easier and more stable (to me) to just use the lower section if that is all you need. I lean that section up against the awning cover and since my trailer is nest to a concrete block building the bottom goes against that. Very stable. But like Cantrell said, you have to stay aware of your every move. Also like he said getting back on the ladder to come down is the most dangerous part. All in all, I am a pretty big guy (220# 6'1") and I don't have many problems on the roof. I just carefully plan where to walk and stay on the ribs. I also wear good non-slip shoes.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
My MH has built in ladder but for roof work I have found it is now important to have more ladder above the roof line than I used to use, if it is at least 4 foot above, it is easier to hold and align that first step down.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
This has been discussed before, but in my opinion, something way more importantly than having one really safe extremely stable ladder is having a second ladder or point of egress. I feel comfortable going up many types of ladders and using many methods to climb up something, but what happens if the ladder gets kicked away, or the wind knocks it down while you are up there? Do you have another way to get down other than jump? Ultimately tou could slide down the endcap, but I'm betting over 95% of the people on these forums (incl. myself) would probably risk our bodies rather than dent our trailer.

just some food for thought.

- Peter

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
chapin , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
My MH has built in ladder but for roof work I have found it is now important to have more ladder above the roof line than I used to use, if it is at least 4 foot above, it is easier to hold and align that first step down.

Just make sure your first step down is at or below the point it contacts the trailer or it may kick out and then your in for a ride

TAC# SC-2
AIR# 41283
oleschool is offline   Reply With Quote