Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #701
Rivet Master

September Blue Beret "Letter to the Editor" claimed Class A motorhomes are the most populus RV on the road. This article from today's RV BUSINESS states, towable sales are HOT, but motorhome sales, especially Class A diesel are NOT.

RVDA Poll: Towables Still Hot Sellers Next Year

November 29, 2011

Travel trailers and fifth wheels will continue to star in 2012, bunk bed models will be hot but diesel coaches will not, and no one is looking forward to the possible side effects that the presidential election season may have on the marketplace. That’s the consensus of RV dealers who were interviewed recently for the December issue of RV Executive Today.
After several lean years, many dealers say they will add full-time positions in the next 12 months, particularly in the service and sales departments. Some retailers believe consumer confidence will improve markedly and have already seen signs of pent-up demand giving way in their showrooms.
A few are starting to ramp up for what they believe will be a gangbusters recovery, while others aren’t expecting confidence levels to rise significantly in 2012.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #702
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Arrow New amended motion - they want to hear from you!

Here is an amended motorhome motion that will be presented to the delegates next summer. We will discuss it at IBT in Hattiesburg in January. Please, I want to hear from you and your members how you want me to represent Region 12 on this matter. I will listen to you and will relay that to the other IBT members next month.

Judy Bechthold
WBCCI Region 12
President
-------

To the IBT:

Attached is an amendment to the Motor Home motion.
I have had several comments about being restricted to just Life Members so
thought this might be a better approach to get something started.
It will be added to the agenda and we can at least discuss it in
Hattiesburg.

June Ryan
International Treasurer

Motion/Item NoMeeting Date: January 2012 Location: Hattiesburg, MS
I move to amend the motion that was approved at the June 27, 2011 IBT and send the following to the 2012 Delegates for their discussion and vote.
WBCCI Constitution, Article VI, be amended as follows:
Section 2 - Insert paragraph C as amended as follows: Any Regular members [ (struck out)who are Life Time Membership ] may, upon request, retain their membership as Regular Members if they replace their Airstream manufactured recreational vehicle with a Class A motor home manufactured by a division of Thor Industries, Inc. the parent company of Airstream, Inc.” “Also any person who owns such a Class A motor home may apply for membership in WBCCI”.
The existing paragraph C becomes paragraph D with the following changes:
Replace “manufactured by Airstream, Inc.” with “as defined in paragraphs B and C above” The existing paragraph D becomes paragraph E. The existing paragraph E becomes paragraph F.
Sec 4 after Airstream, Inc and before who, insert or a division of Thor Industries, Inc. the parent company of Airstream, Inc” and after Airstream, Inc. and before owned vehicle, insert “or a Class A motor home as defined in this article”
Article VI would then read:
Sec. 2
C) Any regular members may, upon request, retain their membership as Regular Members if they replace their Airstream manufactured recreational vehicle with a Class A motor home manufactured by a division of Thor Industries, Inc. the parent company of Airstream, Inc. Also any person who owns such a Class A motor home may apply for membership in WBCCI.
D)
E) Regular Members, who were in good standing when they sold their recreational vehicle as defined in paragraphs B and C above may, upon request, retain their membership as Regular Members, provided such members do not own another brand of recreational vehicle, except such Regular Members may own another brand of recreational vehicle that is parked in a permanent or semi-permanent location to be used by the members as a vacation facility or as a home.
F) Such Regular Members shall possess all the rights and privileges of the International Club, including the right to retain their membership number, except that those who have relinquished their membership number and are to be reinstated as regular Members in a Unit and the International Club shall be assigned a new membership number by International Headquarters.
G) A Unit shall not establish other requirements for an applicant to be a member of a Unit.
Sec. 4 Notwithstanding the requirement that ownership of a recreational vehicle, as defined in Section 1 of this Article, is a prerequisite for membership; not more than ten officers and employees of Airstream, Inc. or a division of Thor Industries, Inc. the parent company of Airstream, Inc, who do not own such a recreational vehicle, may be members at any one time, provided they have the use of such an Airstream, Inc. or a Class A motor home as defined in this article- owned vehicle in which to participate in International Club activities.
Rationale: We are losing members as their Airstream Motor homes age and become no longer road worthy. Not being able to purchase a qualified motor home they may choose to purchase another brand and drop their membership. Also we could get new members if they own a qualified Class A motor home.
Financial Impact: Unknown

Old 12-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #703
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Bob, this seems to be pretty much an unrestricted version of the more restricted motion made earlier, if I understand it: Not just for lifers, unrestricted right to hold office. I'm also leary of (part of) the rationale: "Also we could get new members if they own a qualified Class A motor home."

But maybe I misunderstood, having had only one cup of java this morning so far.

Lynn
Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #704
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
The way it read to me any one with a "qualified motorhome" could join the wbcci.
Presumably that would be ANY class A thor product.
This idea is not even worth commenting on
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #705
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Lynn, Your second cup will not make a difference, this proposal opens it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
The way it read to me any one with a "qualified motorhome" could join the wbcci.
Presumably that would be ANY class A thor product.
This idea is not even worth commenting on
Correct, Rick it is worth commenting to the right folks.

Any interested members should start emailing their concerns, if you need the emails look in your blue book and or a copy of the Blue Beret.

6 on the Exec committee, 12 region presidents

As an aside in the same email demand a WBCCI members forum be open, the software is in place ready to go but as usual they are dragging their feet.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #706
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I find it interesting that the International Treasure can see NO FINANCIAL IMPACT to this amendment. There are thousands of members that have quite the Club and many current members that have stated they will quite if if this amendment is enacted. This appears to be forward thinking bookkeeping.

Is there a reason that Paragraph B was omitted from this presentation while it is referred to several times as the defining description of the type of vehicle necessary for membership.

I for one strongly object to the extending Regular Membership to existing and future members that do no own an Airstream. Regular membership provides such members the right to hold office.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #707
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yes, and more ironic still that the person thinks it's going to retain or add membership while having no financial impact. I guess somebody else was doing without java, too.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I find it interesting that the International Treasure can see NO FINANCIAL IMPACT to this amendment. There are thousands of members that have quite the Club and many current members that have stated they will quite if if this amendment is enacted. This appears to be forward thinking bookkeeping.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #708
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
They still don't get it, do they! jim
Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #709
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think subsection (C) may open up membership to a very large class of people though interpreting it is difficult because it seems to contradict itself when I try to figure out what it means:

"Article VI
Sec. 2
C) Any regular members may, upon request, retain their membership as Regular Members if they replace their Airstream manufactured recreational vehicle with a Class A motor home manufactured by a division of Thor Industries, Inc. the parent company of Airstream, Inc. Also any person who owns such a Class A motor home may apply for membership in WBCCI."

Reading the 2nd sentence alone, it clearly states, anyone, regardless of whether they have ever owned an Airstream product or not, may "apply" for membership if they own a Thor Class A MH. They could have bought that Thor MH 10 or 20 years ago. Since I haven't seen the whole document, this may or may not mean something, but standing alone, "apply" doesn't mean acceptance of the application. But it just may be sloppy wordsmanship—the better sentence would have the phrase read "…may be a member of the WBCCI."

The 1st sentence says that anyone who "replace[s]" any Airstream RV (presumably including a Basecamp) with a Thor Class A MH may retain their WBCCI membership. Thus, if they had no Airstream product at the time they bought the MH, they would not qualify. If they sold an Airstream product 6 months beforehand, would that qualify as a "replace[ment]"? "Replace" means to me simultaneously or nearly simultaneously getting rid of one and getting another.

The 1st sentence's use of the restrictive qualifier "replace" contradicts the 2nd sentence which would allow anyone, regardless of their RV history, to qualify for membership. It seems the purpose is to restrict the membership to someone who has owned any Airstream product. What is the time window is on replacement is left unresolved. The 2nd sentence does not fulfill that restricted purpose; it's purpose seems to be to admit anyone with a Thor Class A MH.

This is sloppy draftsmanship piled upon sloppy draftsmanship, thus leading to confusion. People will interpret it differently and arguments will ensue (something the WBCCI is really good at).

Gene
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #710
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs down

A new Thor recreational vehicle club...seems they should change the name of the club. The executive members are headed in a direction that has little to do with Wally Byam or Airstreams, or increasing the value for the majority of present members. Calling all Thor Class A owners, COME AND GET IT!!! WBCCI is having a blowout sale and is up for grabs apparently, but not with my dime. I do agree WBCCI is losing members as the motorhomes age but it isn't the motorhome owners they are losing but the trailer owners that are leaving in droves or being put off from joining under such wayward agendas. The club is losing all curbside appeal.

photography
Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #711
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Rationale: We are losing members as their Airstream Motor homes age and become no longer road worthy. Not being able to purchase a qualified motor home they may choose to purchase another brand and drop their membership. Also we could get new members if they own a qualified Class A motor home.
Financial Impact: Unknown
The rationale above pretty clearly states what the writers intent is when "new members" are referenced even if the wording of the motion itself is poor.

Welcome to the "Good Wally" club
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #712
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Is it sure-fire that this amendment would go before the delegates (where it would almost surely be voted down)? Or it is intended for a smaller group of deciding members, who might conceivably pass it?

(Of course, even if a smaller group passed it, it could still be voted down by the delegates if Forrest's proposal is approved.)

Lynn
Old 12-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #713
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Is it sure-fire that this amendment would go before the delegates Lynn
This proposed amendment would have to be passed by the current IBT as a new proposed Constitutional amendment before it could go to the Delegates.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #714
Rivet Master

Good Grief. I wasn't but here I go.
I recently had been conversing with the "membership" person from the THOR DIESEL CLUB, asking why a Class A diesel Airstream was not allowed in TDC. Reason: THOR DIESEL CLUB is a club for coaches made by THOR MOTORCOACH. Airstreams are made by, of course Airstream INC. a divisiion of THOR INDUSTRIESl The TDC membership person said that THOR MOTORCOACH provided support to their coaches at rallies, and that TMC would not be supporting Airstream CLass A diesels because THOR MOTORCOACH was seperate from THOR INDUSTRIES. She said it, not me, that the THOR DIESEL CLUB is not interested in joining WBCCI even if they could...
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #715
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I don't believe they will ever realize the fact they need the trailers more than they need the Thor MH's. Now days an Airstream and Arogsy owner does not need WBCCI to enjoy their trailers and classic motorhomes. When WBCCI was established they were the only game in town. That isn't true anymore. There are many avenues available today. I have been a WBCCI member for over 10 years and I joined to be around the Airstream product otherwise I would have joined Good Sams. I just hope there is still enough votes to beat this issue again.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #716
Rivet Master

I thnk the "Letter to Editor" in November's Blue Beret I wrote spells out how I feel.
NO non-Airstream Class A motorhomes in WBCCI. There is no plausible way to keep the flood gates at a trickle, if we make some exceptions for a non airstream coach. There is Life After WBCCI!!
If this thing passes, we are through. As Gaylejoe above stated, one time WBCCI was the only game in town. We have other means to commune with like minded Aluminum fans. The BOND is with ALuminum, the bond is with the Airstream, the Bond is with the "machine!". If it weren't for the machine, there would not have been a WBCCI.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #717
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
We are picking up our new 2012 Flying Cloud 25 on Dec. 8th. Our first AS. We were sitting around imagining joining the WBCCI - "The Big Wally" - as we jokingly called it, and going off on our first caravan! Sounded fantastic. Then I sat down with my laptop and read this thread. Can you hear the air escaping from the tires?

I can't say it sounds even remotely attractive now. It sounds worse than national politics, the thing I am trying to escape by getting an AS to begin with. I am in love with Airstream trailers. You know, those exotic and gorgeous dreamy aluminum bullets you tow with a car. If I wanted to go camping with a bunch of smelly greyhounds smothered in garish shelf-paper graphics, I'd have become a roady for a country western band.

I'm too new to have any intelligent questions, but it seems like there must be other AS clubs besides WBCCI, no? If not, why not? Who could possibly tolerate this kind of ossified organization when all you want to do is hang out with other aluminum trailer enthusiasts and enjoy........... TRAILERING?

Wally's dead, RIP. But the trailers aren't. The allure of the aluminum space ship is just as strong today as it ever was (I wanted one my whole life). What do you need the old petrified "International management" for anyway? The vast majority of posts I read in this thread are by people that just want to enjoy their trailers and their friends in adventure. I couldn't detect a useful benefit anyone was getting out of the battle of bylaws.

Wouldn't the rules for a nice special interest club fit on one page? It's a club for Airstream trailers. You bring one, you can join. One Airstream, one vote. Elect a couple leaders, charge some dues, Put up a website or a FB page. Design a cool badge to put on your Airstream Trailer. Don't hand any out to greyhound drivers. Organize events. Have fun. Isn't that about it? You people seem too nice to be torturing yourself with old dead stuff just to have a legacy?

We're anxious to get our Flying Cloud and begin the journey - the adventure! I hope to meet lotsa nice people who dig towing aluminum trailers! Hope to see you out there.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #718
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Not just a club for AS trailers, but for AS MHs also.! jim
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #719
Rivet Master

Our 270 Motorhome atop Wolf Creek Pass with friends

Click image for larger version

Name:	3849229-Wolf-Creek-Pass-0.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	146463
Old 12-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #720
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
@coloradobus:
He who has the most aluminum wins! Haha
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci