Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Someone please shoot me for even reading this thread.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Folks, I've said my bit. I offer the data as is, and allow the reader to draw their own conclusions-- either way. I am not going to get drawn into a full scale assault/flame war over a handful of folks who for whatever reason seem to think that taking to the public forums every time they feel wronged is the best place to air their dirty laundry. I respect Rob's decision(s) as regrettable as it/they are....and I mean that sincerely.

Should you want to discuss this or anything else for that matter in any greater detail, I'm happy to continue the conversation via PM, but I feel my participation in this thread has run it's natural course.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Just the other day I was contemplating joining the WBCCI. I've been an Airstreamer for 5 years now (although an enthusiast my entire life) and thought that it might be time for membership. However, after hearing that Rob and Frank are resigning from the club it has made my decision an easy one. These are two of Airstream's most passionate enthusiasts. This seems to be a time when the WBCCI needs youthful infusion, and to hear this news of their departure saddens me to no end. I recently watched a documentary about the club from back in the early 90s (Silver Palace: An American Travel Adventure) and all I can say is that they were definitely stuck in the last millennium. It looks like the current leadership is wallowing in that same archaic quagmire.

Rob & Frank, you guys are great, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and work on the VAP. I WILL CAMP WITH YOU ANYTIME!!!

WBCCI, I am sorry to hear that you are not joining the rest of us in the 21st century and I will not be joining your ranks.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
[deleted]
Take care everyone,

Rob, Zoe', Stanton, Bryce, Braedon and Finn - the Bakers - as a huge stress lifts!
Rob,
Wow, powerful letter! Left the WBCCI after one year of seeing what was going on. I have enjoyed many forums rallies.

If you ever make it out west. Drop me a line. I have 30+10A at the curb.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Old 12-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Boxing

That was one of my favorite PE classes at the Academy..Plebe boxing... right before noon chow so that when questioned, after being hit in the head, you had no answer....

Well, at the WBBB, and somehow it will still take place, just not as a WBCCI get together, we are already planning on having those blow up sumo wrestling suits.. I'll start mowing the area in the spring for the ring.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
too bad i threw out my application or I would throw it out again.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I am not going to get drawn into a handful of folks who think the public forums is the best place to air their dirty laundry.
Eric,

The problem for you is... we are airing YOUR dirty laundry. And the public forums is the perfect place to do it.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Looks like i should have gotten up a bit earlier today and caught up on my reading. I posted this comment to Paul's Closed Door tread but think it should be read hear also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Wayne,

I suggested "MANY" times that we should get a bunch of units to go together and create a new club. But I know you will never get units to vote for leaving the WBCCI (Can you see Star starting that move? I think not).

I'm sure this will be the topic of much conversation at Myrtle Beach, SC over the Christmas break.

And it looks like they are already leaving and the due increase has not even been voted on.

Paul

If you recall I mentioned to your several years ago that someone should be opening conversations with Thor towards the formation of a new club with Company sponsorship and that I thought that club would be formed out of this Forum. This is where the center of Airstream ownership is currently represented.

Yes you will not get units as a whole to vote to withhold dues or to vote to leave the comfort of an established origination. However if there was a clear evidence of a new club individual members would likely opt to join and over time that indirect voting would determine the outcome.

I, and many of you, currently support the Forum to the tone of $20.00 per year. For that money I get much better communication with the Airstreams than I get through the Blue Beret. The Forum rallies I have attended are considerably better than those of the WBCCI, exception of the CBR, which is WBCCI in name only.

Just as WBCCI units now accept associate members I can see individual unit members desiring to join a new club, or have we not already done that here in the Forum. It is the formalization of that New Club that needs to be defined. The nucleus of leadership is already in place within the WDCU and has already began to hold rallies, ie Rob, Frank, and Paul. Now you guys just have to define a Constitution, you know that document you want to change anyway.

I don't think it would be long before you saw migration from Metro NY either.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
"Yes you will not get units as a whole to vote to withhold dues or to vote to leave the comfort of an established origination. However if there was a clear evidence of a new club individual members would likely opt to join and over time that indirect voting would determine the outcome.

I, and many of you, currently support the Forum to the tone of $20.00 per year. For that money I get much better communication with the Airstreams than I get through the Blue Beret. The Forum rallies I have attended are considerably better than those of the WBCCI, exception of the CBR, which is WBCCI in name only."

Interesting! We are WDCU members because we like to CAMP with those people- however- club or no club we will probably still camp with them! I feel obligated to be a WBCCI member because of the volume of trailers we own (I feel it's almost disrespectful to Wally's vision to not be a member of the club and a steward for it). However, we won't ever spend the money on another international rally and I barley flip through the Blue Beret except to lure Members at Large to the WDCU! I will have to have a heart to heart with Andy if we should renew when the dues go up. Sorry to see Rob go- but I totally understand why- the WBCCI forums are only the nail in the coffin at this point!

Wally's probably turning over in his grave right now (at least we are saving your trailers for future generations even if the club doesn't survive)!!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
Richfield , Ohio
I only read the first page, but like so many posts on here, am I supposed to take everyones word that something happened I would disagree with? What happened,that caused the change of heart? It seems there is another forums, and when something bad happens there, you can run here to scream? (the old mom says no so ask dad)?

I am new to these forums, so maybe I havent become part of the mentality here. Please explain....
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #31

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm staying in the Club

I've decided to remain a member of the WBCCI. I, also, am not real happy with the current hierarchy of the Club, but I believe that change is on the horizon. I am hoping that the dues increase will not pass. It is still only a proposal.

Lucy likes her big red numbers, and would feel naked without them. We also like the Airstream-only or WBCCI Campgrounds. That benefit alone pay most of our dues.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 12-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWilly View Post
I only read the first page, but like so many posts on here, am I supposed to take everyones word that something happened I would disagree with? What happened,that caused the change of heart? It seems there is another forums, and when something bad happens there, you can run here to scream? (the old mom says no so ask dad)?

I am new to these forums, so maybe I havent become part of the mentality here. Please explain....
I am a long timer in the Forum and I still have trouble keeping up with some topic. You just have to jump in with both feet and try and keep up.

In general the Grand Boobies of the WBCCI are managing the Club for personnel gain and draining the treasury in the process. Some are now taking exception to this.

The problem being the bylaws are written in a way that it is almost impossible to stop this since all power is retained at the top.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
Richfield , Ohio
Howie, if thats the case, why doesnt anyone file a motion to ammend or change some bylaws to regain control while the club still has a fighting chance? Then it gets put in front of the board, or membership, and the vote shall then apply.

I have always been a very opinionated person by nature.

Which rule in hurting the WBCCI?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Rob and Zoe, etc.
I just want to say a big, hearty WELCOME!

Welcome to one of the largest rv'ing groups on the planet: Those Not Associated With WBCCI! I really think you're gonna have a great time meeting and getting to know all of our many, many members. We CAMP! while they RE-VAMP.

Your member is #6,801,970,702

Seriously, It's disturbing to hear how you feel about this Rob. I can only say that they lost out in a big way when they lost your support.

Rich the Viking
Old 12-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
Where to start! At the bottom of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWilly View Post
Howie, if thats the case, why doesnt anyone file a motion to ammend or change some bylaws to regain control while the club still has a fighting chance? Then it gets put in front of the board, or membership, and the vote shall then apply.

I have always been a very opinionated person by nature.

Which rule is hurting the WBCCI?
All of them!

Particularly the one that all legislation must be screened by the very people who will "choose" to bring it up for a vote. If the region officer (IBT Member) doesn't agree it has merit, it dies in committee and does not get to the other units for consideration. In addition the motions may not get shared with other regions! Its next to impossible for the membership to get change on the agenda especially something that will change the experience for the leadership!

Should I comment on the process of voting! Nah it way too boring!

H'mm this senario sounds vagely familiar! Inside the beltway perhaps?

I vote ta go pahtying, any takas??

WAM
just a New England Yankee at hart
Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #36
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you spelled "haht" wrong.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
FreeWilly A few biggies.

1. Since I'm no longer a member the dues were $55 are split $20 local & $35 to HQ a proposal in the works increase 36%. I don't know how that will be split but I assume $20 local $55 to HQ.

2. There is no 1 member 1 vote and members at large have no vote.

3. The process to bring up a grievance is controlled by HQ.

4. Per the by-laws any one who speaks negative about the folks at HQ are suspended for 2 years.

5. A LOT of the clubs hold functions during the working day only retirees welcome.

The list goes on.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Garry

It is currently $55.00 to HQ plus unit dues ($15.00 in our unit) for a total of $70.00. I think many units are $20.00. We lowered our dues this year due to saving by sending our newsletter in color in .pdf format to nearly all of our members. Only a few still want the black and white, snail mail version.

A $20.00 increase would all to go HQ making their fee $75.00.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
This is freaky timing. I was just going to join WBCCI today. I am brand new to airstreaming and in the process of getting my 1960 tradewind ready for camping next summer. I was going to join since 62overlander and Rob inspired me on their VAP broadcasts. I was excited about the possibility of my very first rally being the Wally Byam Birthday bash that was supposed to be a WBCCI event at Rob's in June. Wow.... so not joining now. If guy like Rob who clearly loves all thing airstream is frustrated I can only imagine what a newbie like me would feel.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
If you can afford it, do it! My mother always told me to judge for yourself. Internationals are like none other. The first time I saw an assemblage of nearly a thousand Airstreams as I turned the corner it was exhilerating. So many people and models all Airstream can not be duplicated.

Unfortunately I can no longer afford the rally which has nearly doubled in price. Repetition of experience, however, would require more value and more activities of interest, in my opinion.

Test these things for yourself, as in everything, that is my advice to you.

Dues are extraordinarily high as far as clubs go...

photography
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com