Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Jim;

Thanks for straighting the dues out when we joined I never gave the price a second thought but item 5 in my post drove us out.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I'm pretty much in Groucho Marx's camp on this subject,

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member."
Old 12-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

pinopolis , South Carolina
We left about 4 years ago over the same things. The old against the new. We were members for 10 years and when we did not renew, we never heard from club.Tthey made it was clear to us. We discover we can still camp with out all the rules and fees. It is sad, we loved the A/S life. It took the wind out of our sail.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
The wife and I love planning trips and heading out on our own, no need for a crowd and we enjoy the freedom. We do support and attend several Air Forum Rallies each year and find those to our liking, namely informal, friendly, and no rules other than the campground posted rules. Also, for the forum rallies there are generally no fees.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Old 12-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Well, folks, the ice skating rink just opened in Hades....

Seriously, though, my "inside baseball" knowledge of this stuff is limited, but we're talking Rob Baker of the Vintage Airstream Podcast here, right? Here's a guy who has made a significant contribution to the Airstream community... not only through the VAP but with the WDCU. How do you lose a guy who is an ambassador of the product, the history and the mystique?

Maybe PeeWee can explain it?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #46
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Always faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
How do you lose a guy who is an ambassador of the product, the history and the mystique?
I don't think the AS community has lost him Hamp. I think maybe he's just chosen another road to the same destination.
I've never met Rob in person but I think I know why....Semper fi.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #47
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Well, folks, the ice skating rink just opened in Hades....

Seriously, though, my "inside baseball" knowledge of this stuff is limited, but we're talking Rob Baker of the Vintage Airstream Podcast here, right? Here's a guy who has made a significant contribution to the Airstream community... not only through the VAP but with the WDCU. How do you lose a guy who is an ambassador of the product, the history and the mystique?

Maybe PeeWee can explain it?

Yup, that Rob Baker. The laugh of the VAP. Ambassador of all things Airstream. 3rd generation Airstreamer. Graduate of the United States Naval Academy. Marine Corps Lt. Colonel. A true Man of Honor.

I don't want to speak for Rob, but he is not the kind of person that is likely to wait around for changes to take place. He tried to make changes through proper channels. He was bypassed when he was an officer in the VAC. He was silenced on the WBCCI Forums, not for being beligerent, but for asking questions that showed the club in a less than favorable light.

Rob Baker had the ability to sing the praises of the WBCCI to thousands of people every 2 weeks on the VAP. The WBCCI could have gotten so much free good publicity through him, but they saw him as a threat to the Status Quo. Rather than recognizing him as the asset that he could have been, he was cast aside and treated rudely.

Rob's leaving the WBCCI could have been predicted. When a man of action sees that his efforts are having no effect, he will change tactics. A man of action will not sit idly by and wait for change to take place in a time when the organization is at risk of no longer existing. A man of action does not listen when he is told "just enjoy camping with your unit". The way the WBCCI is being run into the ground, his unit may not exist for much longer!

I would rather have my family camp with Rob Baker and people with his attitude any day of the week. Family values, responsiblilty, honesty, and fun versus fiscal ineptitude, stuffed shirts, passive-agressiveness, and a "me first attitude". The WBCCI is not for me right now. I hope that it will be again some day.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
The way the WBCCI is being run into the ground, his unit may not exist for much longer!
I agree we are on the cusp of either a collapse or a major overhaul on the club- however the "unit" = WDCU will be there as long as the club is there. With over 150 members (most of them who don't mind spending ~$55 a year) are happy to renew just to be a member of the "Airstream Club." It's only when you start to get involved in the politics of it all that it starts to get to you (one can start to go mad thinking about our country if you pay to much attention to the government and start to forget all the wonderful things it still has to offer). If you can afford the dues- and remember it's just a CAMPING and CARAVANNING CLUB- then by all means go forth and keep Wally alive! Even if you choose not to be a member- it doesn't mean that you can't be a good steward for the brand of Airstream and help to uphold it's history and Americana value.

It's just a CAMPING CLUB- and they are simply historic recreational vehicles! We aren't curing cancer here folks- just recreating in aluminum!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #49
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3streams View Post
I agree we are on the cusp of either a collapse or a major overhaul on the club- however the "unit" = WDCU will be there as long as the club is there.
Exactly, no WBCCI = no WDCU. Then what?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
He was bypassed when he was an officer in the VAC.
I heard that Rob ascension to President of the VAC was delayed because he did not meet the requirement of having attended two Internationals. As I understand it, they were postponing him one year so he could meet the requirements according to the VAC bylaws.

Whatever the case, communications with Rob should have been handled better on the part of the VAC.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Exactly, no WBCCI = no WDCU. Then what?
I group of friends that all happen to own Airstreams who like to camp together!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWilly View Post
Howie, if thats the case, why doesnt anyone file a motion to ammend or change some bylaws to regain control while the club still has a fighting chance? Then it gets put in front of the board, or membership, and the vote shall then apply.
In brief, the Bylaws are created only by the IBT, the membership can only change Bylaws by getting a member of the IBT to make the motion.

Second, the IBT is Constitutionally the only body in the WBCCI entitled to interpret what is constitutional and what is not. They alone interpret the rules.

This results in an organization that is top heavy. The IBT is the equivalent of both Judicial Branch and Executive Branch of government. They long ago kidnapped the Delegates Meeting (analogous to the Legislative Branch) and control it. So, the structure of the WBCCI is designed to maintain the Status Quo. So much so that even IBT members wanting to make changes have failed to make much of an impact (Bob Thompson being an extreme example of that when he was suspended).

I see a way to change the club from within, but am not optimistic. The club is going down and will crash. That appears to be inevitable, and perhaps the thing for members to do is to figure out if a controlled crash is possible so that we can rebuild.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Rob,

It was great meeting you in person this summer at International. I think the decision to leave or stay is a subjective one, and there is no right or wrong decision in that regard. I also think that leaving has to be difficult, but I have no doubt that it is due to you being a principled and ethical man. Always take the hard right, and never the easy wrong! We will miss you and your family in the VAC!

Truly, with respect,
Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I served onboard an LST. Who knows? I might have given Rob a lift... but hey, those guys in camo all looked the same to me.

When a person has the passion of Rob, or Frank, the failings and foibles of a "club" are a distraction, not a deal breaker. I suspect they will remain vibrant and active members of the community. Even though the club is fading, I think the Airstream community is stronger than ever. It is a shame, though. I thought the WDCU and similar units were one last chance for the WBCCI. Really, folks, all it takes is a reasonably objective look at what units are growing and asking, "What's going on there"?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:

I would rather have my family camp with Rob Baker and people with his attitude any day of the week. Family values, responsiblilty, honesty, and fun versus fiscal ineptitude, stuffed shirts, passive-agressiveness, and a "me first attitude". The WBCCI is not for me right now. I hope that it will be again some day.
Easy there Fella

Have you experienced these stuffed shirts, irresponsiibity, dishonesty, camper style passive-agressiveness and your most frightening claim of no family values at any rallies?

Have you also had these experiences while attending Club rallies? Or are you mearly projecting your wrath in advance of what you might expect after hearing others complaints?

After joining in 2003, restoring our trailer and hitting the road and attending many wb rallies over the years we have had only positive experiences. Mostly fun, easy going and met hundreds of great people. Including Rob & family.

It is pretty easy to read these post now and figure out who have been out and about and actually has met many of these so called stuffed shirts from the more numerous one timers that did not like the look on the face of the voluteer parker and made a u-turn home to never return again.

Too bad for them. I hope the problems are resolved with the club soon. And it is good that Rob has many friends that defend his decision to check out of the club. I hope he comes back.

But these complaints should be directed towards the club officiers and not at the whole body of members that have had positive experiences.

Finally, it really bugs me that new owners read these posts and quicky decide the WB club is out of the question.???

If it is that easy to be disappointed by other peoples experiences then this camping thing may be difficult for you. And watch out for all those stuffed shirts. Really now.

Get out there......rally, camp, and decide for yourself.
Gary
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Well Stated

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
Easy there Fella

Have you experienced these stuffed shirts, irresponsiibity, dishonesty, camper style passive-agressiveness and your most frightening claim of no family values at any rallies?

Have you also had these experiences while attending Club rallies? Or are you mearly projecting your wrath in advance of what you might expect after hearing others complaints?

After joining in 2003, restoring our trailer and hitting the road and attending many wb rallies over the years we have had only positive experiences. Mostly fun, easy going and met hundreds of great people. Including Rob & family.

It is pretty easy to read these post now and figure out who have been out and about and actually has met many of these so called stuffed shirts from the more numerous one timers that did not like the look on the face of the voluteer parker and made a u-turn home to never return again.

Too bad for them. I hope the problems are resolved with the club soon. And it is good that Rob has many friends that defend his decision to check out of the club. I hope he comes back.

But these complaints should be directed towards the club officiers and not at the whole body of members that have had positive experiences.

Finally, it really bugs me that new owners read these posts and quicky decide the WB club is out of the question.???

If it is that easy to be disappointed by other peoples experiences then this camping thing may be difficult for you. And watch out for all those stuffed shirts. Really now.

Get out there......rally, camp, and decide for yourself.
Gary

Those of you slamming those of us that have decided to hang in there with the WBCCI need to reread the quoted post above. You have to get out there and meet some more of us.

The statement "no family values at any rallies" you have GOT to be kidding! I know my two college attending well rounded kids and I found the "family values" at any rally more than meeting my and their needs. That comment made me laugh out loud!!!!!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Thank you Mr. Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
Those of you slamming those of us that have decided to hang in there with the WBCCI need to reread the quoted post above. You have to get out there and meet some more of us.

The statement "no family values at any rallies" you have GOT to be kidding! I know my two college attending well rounded kids and I found the "family values" at any rally more than meeting my and their needs. That comment made me laugh out loud!!!!!
Those that read my entries know that the first word in my vocabulary is civility. Without observing that word, there can be no society. Ed you are 1000% correct in your comment. In the military I learned what leadership meant, I had great duty officers that I worked with. I also learned about DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY...and what it meant in the military to be an "Officer and a Gentleman." These qualities and leadership should be practiced more in life.

Thank you, Ed.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Ed and Gary,

You're simply being defensive and not listening to the anger and frustration that is out there. The WBCCI has some very real ethical problems.

Ed, I know your position is to ignore the International level and concentrate on the Unit, but that does not make the problem go away.

It is wrong, very wrong, for the WBCCI forums to be run by a private, for profit businessman, and moderated by a non-WBCCI member.

I wrote a letter and sent it to every member of the IBT, including a copy to Cindy Reed and HQ, outlining how the WBCCI's relationship with Greg Gibson endangers the Club's non-profit status, and not a one of them even so much as acknowledged getting my letter, much less reading it. It was completely ignored.

So much for trying to work within and not air dirty laundry publicly. That doesn't work. Going public doesn't work. Rob may well be right, the only thing that has an effect is the pocket book.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, we truly loathe the infighting and bickering, but now have some real, vested interest in the resolution of these pervasive, disheartening issues.

What IS the solution from within? Let's see a list of what can be done by members not at the top to make the needed changes.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
I am new to the airstream community and since my airstream is not quite camp ready I live, for now, vicariously through the airforums and the VAP. Since the WBCCI is an institution in the airstream world, I did seriously think of joining it before my Tradewind even hits the road. However, my family were tenters before this airstream and we did not join any club to tent. Now I believe I will have a CAMP first and join later attitude. I hope to see you all on the road soon....!
Closed Thread

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com