Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Good-bye WBCCI

An email I sent to Mr. Tom Collier last night..

To the leaders of the WBCCI, we respectfully request that our membership (#2820) be terminated.

Last night's Charlie Burke telling me to Cool my jets on the WBCCI forums was the last straw that sent me over the line of no return.....I might have said some things I should have slept on over there on the WBCCI forums .. but I did so because my passion got the best of me... Charlie - you and your IBT guys win! I resign from the WBCCI. PS - the Blue Beret is still not worth the paper it's written on Charlie.

We're gone! We're done with all this crap.. we're through... (we're not even gonna wait to quit after the dues is increased to $75 a year when other members will depart in droves).

Good-bye WBCCI - sadly, we'll miss all our WDCU friends that we've met over the years..alot!!! It was fun being your Unit President last year. Many, many great memories.

I can not, with good conscious, be a part of a club where I pay money that supports your forum..( I know Charlie, no money goes to the forum)... and the IBT / club leadership and all their perks that is running the club into financial ruin.

Truly friends, if you hang out over there on the fourms, you will learn the truth - and it's NOT what Charlie states - he's too close to the subject to be objective. It's not a forum worthy of the WBCCI backing in my opinion.

I usually would sleep on this decision...I don't take it lightly, but I'm not going too tonight... I've had it.. I should have never re-newed this year, but I did while not following my gut instinct. It's all about certain principles I believe in - like listening to the members and doing something about it.. that the current leaders are not doing. I'm now going to follow my gut instinct and depart before I say what I'm really thinking in the near future or do something I'll regret years to come.

Good-bye friends..we'll see you down the road. We're just gonna go do what we love to do - "Just our family camping" for a while.

I don't need all the stress - you all know I live, eat and dream Airstreams and the WBCCI.. and now it's time to eat something else...change my diet some, because if you know me, this stuff has been stressing me out terribly, to the point where it's not healthy. This decision has been brewing for a while, and today's forums antics iced the cake... it's time to just ride off into the sunset for a while without the WBCCI club and issues and that's what we intend to do.

Star, please remove the WBBB for next June from the WDCU rally list as I'm not going to be a part of it.... April - please remove us from the roles. Cindy Reed, please acknowledge our resignation from the club - #2820.

Wow - I've gone from probably one of the most avid WBCCI promoters out there, enthusiastic as all hell, to probably one of the most anti-WBCCIers that won't be fooled by the IBTs propaganda machine any longer and won't continue to financially support it either. They say it's about the local unit, and I 100% agree... but all the $$$ goes to the IBT and I'm one that truly believes in the power of the purse. It'll come to an end for the rest of the WBCCI soon enough.

Take care everyone,

Rob, Zoe', Stanton, Bryce, Braedon and Finn - the Bakers - as a huge stress lifts!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
That letter is hard to read. Your pain is apparent. I know the WBCCI will miss you a lot.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
No they wont - they don't care. Like Jim Franklin said, Quality, not Quantity, and that seems to be the path that the club is on (except, how do you define Quality - I thing Rob is, not Jim Franklin).
As for the forums, I am not there, I can not even register or view the forums due to the Conquistadors "Miserable Users" hack - I know it is a joke. I so totally understand Robs frustration!
WBCCI is losing a quality member here...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 12-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
Certifiable

. , .
I'll still camp with you guys anytime, anyplace.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I too am following Robs lead. My letter of resignation will be sent today also. I have contemplated this for a while and only renewed due to the fine folks at the WDCU.
I am of bad quality and not part of the quantity....

the only thing I do not like about making the choice to quit is that Dale Schwamborn will be upset with me.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #6
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
I'm dropping out, too. When the club dies in 5 or 10 years, I do not want to be associated in any way with those that put Wally and Helen's club into the ground.

The WBCCI Forums are blocking WBCCI members with a "miserable users hack" when they write things that the moderators don't like. They are LIEING TO YOU when they tell you that this is not being done!!!!

If you think the club is in good shape, think again. The IBT is still spending money like it did back when membership numbers were many times what they are now. Unbelieveable! What is even worse, when they look at the numbers and see that there might be a problem, do they talk about cutting spending? NO! They talk about raising the dues!

What put me over the top is that when they are discussing all of this, their main objective seems to be to get through 5 or so years. They are not looking long term, and they WILL kill this club. If you bring this stuff up, they tell you to not be negative. I will not stand around and watch this happen. I am gone from the WBCCI.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Since it was brought up already and aired openly, I will only say that Rob's decision was Rob's alone. Rob is totally right, he should have slept on his communications on the forum before hitting the send button.

I realize how hot of a subject WBCCI is, and we (including me) have been guilty of hitting that submit reply button under a full head of steam, yet here are excerpts of the communications we are talking about:

Quote:
Yeah, sure - cooling our jets - good advice, for a toddler.... until the IBT/EC7 starts listening, I'll only be turning up the fire, not COOLING it off... good one.
Quote:
... so, "cool my jets?" - yeah, right.. we're only getting started. I'm just glad you aren't running Welcome to the Frontpage - The Vintage Airstream Podcast - cause we're gonna pour the gas on the fire over there baby....
Quote:
how does it sound - buda, buda, buda.... re-load!
The fact is that Rob was asked to stop these kinds of communications, as a result he decided to leave not only the forum, but also WBCCI as a result of these interactions.

I will tell you first hand that posts are not deleted if they go against someone's beliefs. However, when these kinds of communications are not kept civil, they have been and will be removed and or edited at the discretion of management following the guidelines of the TOS.

It is regrettable that this got taken to the levels I am now reading, but in life we all make choices. Rob, I wish you safe and happy travels down the road.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
The fact is that Rob was asked to stop these kinds of communications, as a result he decided to leave not only the forum, but also WBCCI as a result of these interactions.

I will tell you first hand that posts are not deleted if they go against someone's beliefs. However, when these kinds of communications are not kept civil, they have been and will be removed and or edited at the discretion of management.
Those quotes by Rob appear to be in response to something, such as him being told to "Cool his jets".

The way the WBCCI leadership is running the club into bankrupcy, I find it difficult to believe that anyone with a sincere desire for the club to last well into the future would be able to stay cool.

I imagine if I were told by a moderator, on a forum sanctioned by my club, to "Cool my jets" when I bring up controversial subject matter would lead to me typing something that may very well be deleted.

The WBCCI Forums are a fraud.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Yeah - Whatever!

Yeah, as you all know, one of my beefs with the WBCCI forums was that it had non WBCCI members (this SilverTwinkie person) who is not a WBCCI member... and I outright called for the end of that practice... so it's not surprising to see these Quotes from another forum over here by a Moderator.. isn't that breaking the rules - but it's ok for the mods to break them must be...

Yes, the decision was mine and mine alone... those quotes are taken out of context.... like it's said before, say anything contrary to what the desired message, you are quickly squashed...

Good luck SilverTwink.....moderating your 7 online users (whoops - 6, as I was one of them).. I hope you one day join the club you moderate... how ironic that this person is not a member... things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

burning bridges... maybe - but I've done my analysis and burning them is ok, as they are strategic targets never to be used again by this traveler.
Courtesy parking

Old 12-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
SilverTwinke:

Are you cross posting? Wish you would identify which forum you are referring to when you post unattributed quotes.

This is turning into a real mess. Need a playbook.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverOwner View Post
Those quotes by Rob appear to be in response to something, such as him being told to "Cool his jets".

The way the WBCCI leadership is running the club into bankrupcy, I find it difficult to believe that anyone with a sincere desire for the club to last well into the future would be able to stay cool.

I imagine if I were told by a moderator, on a forum sanctioned by my club, to "Cool my jets" when I bring up controversial subject matter would lead to me typing something that may very well be deleted.

The WBCCI Forums are a fraud.
I am not going to get into a variety of issues about WBCCI. I am merely responding to the aspects of the forum. You may be completely right that it can be and is hard to stay cool on such an important and at times volatile subject. I know from what I've read that Rob is a major Airstream enthusiast making the issues facing WBCCI that much more important and passionate to him. It's important however that we try our best to back away from things sometimes when we find we are too close to it to be civil or objective. This didn't simply start with the cooling of jets request. Obviously it started before that and it quickly spiraled out of control. What's interesting is that rather than talk with folks, I'm finding all this being aired here on AF and other places.

Again, I have no gripe with Rob and I also can see how passionate he is about all things Airstream. I think his decision to leave WBCCI, let alone the forums is a loss. I'd be happy to camp with him anytime regardless of what he may think of WBCCI or the forums.

Mark, those posts as quoted came from communications from Rob while on the WBCCI forum. I apologize for any confusion.

...and Rob, I wouldn't be posting here about it, but since you begun the conversation and openly aired it, I found no conflict to sharing the info to balance what we are really talking about. I am sorry if you take issue with my comments or my posting some of the other side of the conversation you initiated. I believe Charlie also posted to your comments you made publicly elsewhere and Charlie is in fact a member.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I will tell you first hand that posts are not deleted if they go against someone's beliefs.
Eric,

That statement is a total 100% lie! ...and I offer that in the spirit of civil communication
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Yeah, he's cross posting

I'd post over at the WBCCI forums, but it would just get deleted.... or I'd become MODERATED... or BLOCKED like others have been... I truly tried over there, saying, no, this can't be happening...but it is, truly and sadly it is... too close to the subject.. tell that to Charlie... the main cause of most issues over there...

So here is one of my only other avenues..

This WBCCI ship is sinking.. and I'm not gonna be on the boat... even though I have good water survival skills... Airstreams don't float!

Hey SilverTwink - if you join you will offset me and my family leaving.. help with WBCCI damage control and put you finger in the leaking hole....

or since it's winter... there is no way to stop an avalanche.. the only way to protect or reduce risk of an avalanche is to start an avalanche - right?
Courtesy parking

Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
_

. , .
using ONE forum to complain about treatment on ANOTHER...

it's hard to tell if the o.p. here is simply announcing his resignation from the wb' for a variety of good reasons...

or using THIS forum to complain about treatment on ANOTHER.

and 'twink bringing quotes HERE from another website is just silly, ok childish really.

as is following a person from ONE SITE to ANOTHER...very poor form.

the wb issues are well covered here AND the list of folks who have opted to quit or NOT renew is long.

however IF the primary goal is to vent about treatment by 'mods' on another site that's a problem.

WHY?

first this is a REALLY COMMON web tactic (complaining on one site about treatment on another site)

it's so common that many communities have started adding statements about this practice IN their ' terms of use' policy.

so folks that get accounts suspended OR are put in 'time out' who take their grievance to 'some other site'

only end up EXTENDING the punishment from by the original site.

i've noticed a BIG upswing in this practice here...

that is, using THIS site to complain about treatment on some other site...

with dozens of threads here NOW with complaints about treatment elsewhere

(and 1 member from the OTHER SITE posting 'explanations' here about the actions elsewhere)

mod status elsewhere=NOTHING here.

it's a natural thing to USE whatever outlet is available but not a good trend.

many of us DO NOT GO to the wb' site for GOOD reasons...

and bringing the laundry HERE to wash only results in threats/attacks from one site owner TOWARD the other...

have you guys NOTICED how MANY of the threads HERE about the wb' site are CLOSED???

and free speech is NOT absolute on THIS SITE either...

i can well imagine how the owner/mod team would respond IF grievances about treatment HERE were posted elsewhere...

which is why the 'end users agreements' have started to deal with 'posting mod complaints on other sites' as a no no.

i'm not condoning this practice OR the terms of use clauses that are added to deal with it...

just pointing out the problem.

to the o.p. welcome to the long list of former wb'ers...

but don't expect the home office to DELETE your stuff, they don't keep member lists that sharply trimmed...

it's pretty much 2 years before they REALLY subtract an old member from the rolls.

however your LOCAL unit can remove you from the roster pronto...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Wow, still at I see. It's been almost two years since we dropped out of the WBCCI, and I surely don't miss all of this.

Go in peace Rob and Zoe. There is life without the WBCCI!!!!

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

Old 12-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Dang, Makes me want to go right out and join a club..any club. NOT!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Whow CUZ
That's a shocker! I never expected to see you or Frank make such a drastic move. As passinate about Airstreams and the CLUB (i cant even say the letters anymore) as you both have been. It's a shame this has to happen,I don't think you will be alone. We will be more than glad to camp with you and your family or Frank,anytime anywhere, RED NUMBERS do not say who you are as a person.
I also feel bad for WDCU, they lose a valuable asset.
Hope to (as you say) "SEE YA DOWN THE ROAD"
ur cuz
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Why don't you guys get some boxing gloves and set up a boxing match. We used to do that in the old days when we had conflicts in PE. (Early 70's).

Have a big rally so we all can come and watch the slug match. Now that would be fun.

Just trying to add a little humor

Brian
Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Like to see that. Would probably get as much PPV as the Manny v. Mayweather match.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
It's a shame the WBCCI is in a self destruct mode and doesn't have a clue

As they begin loosing "valuable" members that are trying to give them a clue the silent majority just may wake up.

Tags
greg gibson, vintage-airstream.com