RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
There is a lot involved in changing a black, or grey tank under an Airstream. I've done it now three times. Here is a photo of the 30 gallon black tank I installed in the back of my Overlander. I went big cause I had the space. I also routed the vanity sink water to the black tank for added capacity, and to help keep the black tank wet.

I also installed a new 27 gallon grey tank one frame bay in front of the black tank. I couldn't get them both in the same area under the frame. It all seems to work well.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1802 Waste Tank Black Installed 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	18
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	380594  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1966 Trade Wind Renovation Documentation:
Knowledge Base Airstream Trailers

See my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:

See our 1976 Sovereign Renovation Project:
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #262
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
parker , Colorado
Wow David! You and your friend did such an amazing job with this Airstream. It is very attractive and functional. I can't believe you quickly you pulled off such a complete renovation. I really admire the way you approach solutions from a practical mindset.

What are you going to fill your shop with this winter? I know you must have something up your sleeve.

Ron

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...on-178655.html
Venturewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Well hello Ron. Nice to hear from you. I have my son's 69 Globetrotter 21' in my shop now for this winter's project. It definitely needs a new axle, with "Colorado" increased lift. But that is the easy part.

We never installed a grey tank in this trailer, and the above floor black tank is a poor design in my view. It dumps going straight down. The rear corner bath is a poor layout also in my view. So what if I configure a layout where we can get a side to side rear bed back there, and a mid bath design with a combination black and grey tank? We're thinking about it.

The trailer needs a new water heater too. And the plumbing needs upgraded to PEX. It should keep Grandpa busy for a while at least.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Old 11-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #264
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
St Augustine , Florida
Looking forward to reading through this entire thread. Just scored a 1976 31í Sovereign that needs some (alot) of work. Has some skin damage, rotting sub floor, dents, dings etc. Previous owner had 2...one a Ď71 and my Ď76. They gutted the Ď71 and put most of what they tore out of it, into mine. So I have some original cabinet bits for templates and such.

Want to try to do some work myself, but pretty sure Iím in over my head for the entire project on my own.

Would love to find a restoration/renovation company that does work-alongs. They have the expertise and I provide some grunt work and help with tasks I can and learn a bit in the process.
Booberboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:49 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi booberboo: Welcome to the vintage Airstream hobby. These vintage Sovereigns can be renovated into modern travel trailers, and customized to your liking. It is a big project, but not as big a building a house, a boat or an airplane for that matter.

Airstream Forums has a category called Airstream Knowledgebase, then trailers, then Sovereign and finally your year range. You will find this category near the bottom of the Forums page. You will see many Sovereign project threads here where you can see how other folks did their projects; the good, the bad and the ugly. Oh well, I call it fun.

I nicely renovated 70s Sovereign may be worth maybe $35k with documentation of the work done. A new Airstream is over $95k of similar size. Materials to renovate can be $15k assuming all new appliances. Time to renovate an old Airstream is likely over 1000 hours. A professional shop could do excellent work, but the end result at $100/hr shop rate would prohibit that approach seems to me. Most vintage Airstream enthusiasts do their own work, for free!

So jump right in. Make a project plan based on the trailer's needs. Then take it one step at a time.

Stay well... Airstreams won't give you covid. Going to the hardware store can.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Tags
sovereign