Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #421
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I was, incidentally I had a very good teacher but my skills are rusty!

My daughters been furloughed by the govt so I'm drafting her to be my bucking buddy. I haven't decided whether to but her on the gun side or the bar side. She might be a little trigger happy as she just got her ( real) gun permit!

I need to start putting things back, my lights , emblems, compartment doors and so on are so ready to buck back on!

If you were like 2000 miles closer I would be at your back door, like yesterday! and I'd make Zep come help too!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #422
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
We have roof closure....

We had a stretch of good weather lately and it was finally time to tackle the Fantastic fans that have sitting on my dining room since Spring.

This is what I started with, this hole was originally the air conditioner which was one of the first things tossed.

A little closer

A little closer still.....

I obviously can't be trusted with a zoom!

I've read other blogs where they have completed this project in a couple of hours (while holding a beer in one hand no less!). That was not my experience. I spent almost 5 hours the first day just removing sealant, silicone and some type of martian spit, I guess. I used aluminum oxide abrasive wheels, brass brushes and such. Lots of plastic scrapers, razorblades and fingernails, did I mention fingernails? Mine look like they've been chewed on by a beaver.

I did it from the inside, perched on the top of a ladder for so long that my feet went numb and the next day I had a narrow bruise that ran all the way around my rib cage from the edges. THAT was my experience! And I had the good fortune to repeat it later in the week! Lucky, lucky me! Note to universe; I would just like one project on Moonraker to go easier than I think it will!

This is were I was after 5 hours and a good cleaning with acetone. You can see where I marked it for cutting. The hole needs to be a little bigger for the Fantastic fan. I just used aviation snips to cut it and then rounded the inside corners with a small round file. And hyperventilated while doing it! Nothing scarier than cutting into the skin!

I used Eternabond doublestick tape for the seal between the roof and fan. I then went around the whole perimeter with Tempro 635, this was because I was concerned the sharp edge of the flange would create a stress point. Then I used Eternabond tape (actually the 4 inch Alumibond, that has a shiny foil surface) on top of the flange and roof . I pre-drilled holes with a 1/8 inch bit for the screws.

I guess its the OCD in me but in my mind this makes for a much cleaner looking installation and no little piles of white doggie poo (aka Tempro) on the roof of my Airstream. It will also be much easier to inspect for leaks, and if it starts to lift I can repair it.

I did the two installations slightly differently.

The middle one I used 1 inch #8 SS pan head screws and washers like recommended by Colin Hyde. Unfortunately, that made it harder to use the roller to get the Eternabond tape down. Kinda key because pressure is what activates the glue in Eternabond. On the rear installation I used stainless steel machine screws this left a smooth surface on the flange of the fantastic fan that was much easier to roll. I'll check back and tell you what works better!

There was no rain in the forecast but immediately after I installed the first one with just the doublestick and screws, it POURED, and kept pouring. I was amazed that even without the Trempro and Alumibond tape that the installation was leak free! I'm hoping these will remain leakfree for many years to come!

A couple of notes if you haven't installed yours yet, make sure you do a dry fit to see if the Fantastic lays flat on the roof. I doubled up on the doublestick tape in the one area because the roof starts to slope down by the end cap. I had a much bigger gap in the back than the front. In retrospect, I wish I had trebled it. I ended up using a rope of the doublestick to fill in the gap.

Also, on the second go around, I drilled out the original fan housing , pried it off the roof, then I painted on Citrastrip, covered it in plastic and left it overnight. It turned a five hour job into a two hour job. Got up the martian spit nicely! Of course nothing really touches the silicone, but I think it even helped there. So if you have the time to let Citrastrip do its job I highly recommend it!

I used acetone to clean the roof really well before I taped it with the Eternabond. Don't get it anywhere near the fantastic fan though because it will dissolve the plastic (ask me how I know....) Use mineral spirits for cleanup instead!

Finished Installation.

And look what arrived in the mail! Just in time to plug the other large hole in the roof! Any guesses?

Old 10-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #423
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
We had a stretch of good weather lately and it was finally time to tackle the Fantastic fans that have sitting on my dining room since Spring.

This is what I started with, this hole was originally the air conditioner which was one of the first things tossed.

A little closer

A little closer still.....

I obviously can't be trusted with a zoom!

I've read other blogs where they have completed this project in a couple of hours (while holding a beer in one hand no less!). That was not my experience. I spent almost 5 hours the first day just removing sealant, silicone and some type of martian spit, I guess. I used aluminum oxide abrasive wheels, brass brushes and such. Lots of plastic scrapers, razorblades and fingernails, did I mention fingernails? Mine look like they've been chewed on by a beaver.

I did it from the inside, perched on the top of a ladder for so long that my feet went numb and the next day I had a narrow bruise that ran all the way around my rib cage from the edges. THAT was my experience! And I had the good fortune to repeat it later in the week! Lucky, lucky me! Note to universe; I would just like one project on Moonraker to go easier than I think it will!

This is were I was after 5 hours and a good cleaning with acetone. You can see where I marked it for cutting. The hole needs to be a little bigger for the Fantastic fan. I just used aviation snips to cut it and then rounded the inside corners with a small round file. And hyperventilated while doing it! Nothing scarier than cutting into the skin!

I used Eternabond doublestick tape for the seal between the roof and fan. I then went around the whole perimeter with Tempro 635, this was because I was concerned the sharp edge of the flange would create a stress point. Then I used Eternabond tape (actually the 4 inch Alumibond, that has a shiny foil surface) on top of the flange and roof . I pre-drilled holes with a 1/8 inch bit for the screws.

I guess its the OCD in me but in my mind this makes for a much cleaner looking installation and no little piles of white doggie poo (aka Tempro) on the roof of my Airstream. It will also be much easier to inspect for leaks, and if it starts to lift I can repair it.

I did the two installations slightly differently.

The middle one I used 1 inch #8 SS pan head screws and washers like recommended by Colin Hyde. Unfortunately, that made it harder to use the roller to get the Eternabond tape down. Kinda key because pressure is what activates the glue in Eternabond. On the rear installation I used stainless steel machine screws this left a smooth surface on the flange of the fantastic fan that was much easier to roll. I'll check back and tell you what works better!

There was no rain in the forecast but immediately after I installed the first one with just the doublestick and screws, it POURED, and kept pouring. I was amazed that even without the Trempro and Alumibond tape that the installation was leak free! I'm hoping these will remain leakfree for many years to come!

A couple of notes if you haven't installed yours yet, make sure you do a dry fit to see if the Fantastic lays flat on the roof. I doubled up on the doublestick tape in the one area because the roof starts to slope down by the end cap. I had a much bigger gap in the back than the front. In retrospect, I wish I had trebled it. I ended up using a rope of the doublestick to fill in the gap.

Also, on the second go around, I drilled out the original fan housing , pried it off the roof, then I painted on Citrastrip, covered it in plastic and left it overnight. It turned a five hour job into a two hour job. Got up the martian spit nicely! Of course nothing really touches the silicone, but I think it even helped there. So if you have the time to let Citrastrip do its job I highly recommend it!

I used acetone to clean the roof really well before I taped it with the Eternabond. Don't get it anywhere near the fantastic fan though because it will dissolve the plastic (ask me how I know....) Use mineral spirits for cleanup instead!

Finished Installation.

And look what arrived in the mail! Just in time to plug the other large hole in the roof! Any guesses?

Astradome

Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #424
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Red Sox World Series Championship Flag?
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #425
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Hahaha Counting on it!

Nope, it's my new Maxim skylight to replace the astrodome
Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #426
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Hahaha Counting on it!

Nope, it's my new Maxim skylight to replace the astrodome
I was pretty close
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #427
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So, the second to last photo is the finished product? The silver tape around the Fantastic Vent?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #428
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
So, the second to last photo is the finished product? The silver tape around the Fantastic Vent?
Yep, although that was after just the first rolling, I went back over it a couple more times to make sure I got everything.

Notice my shiny roof Frank?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #429
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
The Avion people use Eternabond on their entire seam on the top. I used it around my vents on my Avion like you did, Shelly. So far, so good! I have an extra roll if you need any more! I decided to do my long seam on it like I did my AS. You certainly have to get everything off before you use it...I put it on in a hurry last fall (when I got the Avion) & when I crawled up on the roof this summer to do the job right, some of it peeled off very easily because it wasn't really clean under it. Looks like yours was clean as a whistle!!
NICE ROOF!!!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #430
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
I was pretty close
Colin
Yep, you were! Sorry no prize .
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #431
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
The Avion people use Eternabond on their entire seam on the top. I used it around my vents on my Avion like you did, Shelly. So far, so good! I have an extra roll if you need any more! I decided to do my long seam on it like I did my AS. You certainly have to get everything off before you use it...I put it on in a hurry last fall (when I got the Avion) & when I crawled up on the roof this summer to do the job right, some of it peeled off very easily because it wasn't really clean under it. Looks like yours was clean as a whistle!!
NICE ROOF!!!
The roof is shiny Unfortunately, polishing season is over, it's below freezing in the morning . I'll put the finishing touches on in the spring. And MAYBE post final polishing pictures But y'all are going to have to beg!

I'm curious, is it really that difficult to remove? I'm super impressed with the doublestick, it works great for things like sealing the wiring holes in the teardrop
lights.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #432
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
The roof is shiny Unfortunately, polishing season is over, it's below freezing in the morning . I'll put the finishing touches on in the spring. And MAYBE post final polishing pictures But y'all are going to have to beg!

I'm curious, is it really that difficult to remove? I'm super impressed with the doublestick, it works great for things like sealing the wiring holes in the teardrop
lights.
Oh, it sticks if its clean underneath.....absolutely!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #433
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Gotta go order this.... Way to go Red Sox! BOSTON STRONG
Old 11-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #434
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Shelly, I so love your tutorials (that's how I see them, anyway!). Awesome, awesome, awesome! I have one of those that needs installing. If I wasn't 4 weeks away from having twins, I'd be up on that roof right now. Someday, my Airstream will no longer be neglected! It's just hard to say when, now.

So you recommend the Eternabond tape vs the gasket that comes with the vent? Just trying to pick your brain because at the Vintage Trailer Academy, Steve with Vintage Trailer Supply did a demo and recommended using the included foam gasket... Thoughts? Thanks!
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #435
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum75 View Post
Shelly, I so love your tutorials (that's how I see them, anyway!). Awesome, awesome, awesome! I have one of those that needs installing. If I wasn't 4 weeks away from having twins, I'd be up on that roof right now. Someday, my Airstream will no longer be neglected! It's just hard to say when, now.

So you recommend the Eternabond tape vs the gasket that comes with the vent? Just trying to pick your brain because at the Vintage Trailer Academy, Steve with Vintage Trailer Supply did a demo and recommended using the included foam gasket... Thoughts? Thanks!

Glad you are liking the posts!

There are as many ways to install the fantastic fans as there are to polish!

I can't see that gasket lasting, and things that deteriorate leave gaps and gaps lead to leaks.... I typically do like to follow the manufacturers instructions. However, I'm just not willing to put a lot of faith in something that appears so flimsy. And someone that sells the product isn't likely to tell you to ignore the directions.

In all likelihood, I've voided my warranty and I'm okay with that

As far as I know I'm the first to use the eternabond doublestick and alumibond on the fans. By the time your twins are one, I should know if my decision was wise or not. I just don't like the look of gobs of sealant. You can't look at one of those globs and tell if it has started to pull away or didn't stick because of contaminants. The tape coming up will be obvious and easy to keep an eye on. Eternabond is a lot more popular on other RV Forums. We'll see I guess.

Good luck with the twins (I'm a twin too!). And you're going to be far too sleep deprived to install anything!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #436
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Thanks, Shelly! I guess I'll check back with you next year to see how it's held up. You're right, I'll be too sleep deprived to do anything with mine anytime soon!
I agree, that foam does look flimsy, and what you're saying about gobs of sealant hiding leaks makes perfect sense!
Regarding the twin thing, I do remember reading on your thread that you have a sister with an Airstream.... I didn't remember you were twins. That is too cool, twins with a shared interest in aluminum! Mine are boy-girl, and hopefully they'll both love Airstreams, too :-)
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #437
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Thanks, Shelly! I guess I'll check back with you next year to see how it's held up. You're right, I'll be too sleep deprived to do anything with mine anytime soon!
I agree, that foam does look flimsy, and what you're saying about gobs of sealant hiding leaks makes perfect sense!
Regarding the twin thing, I do remember reading on your thread that you have a sister with an Airstream.... I didn't remember you were twins. That is too cool, twins with a shared interest in aluminum! Mine are boy-girl, and hopefully they'll both love Airstreams, too :-)
Quote:
I have a little secret to share with you.... You are lucky to be having a boy and girl, I think it will make life easier. I love my sis but when she got an Airstream when I'd been fascinated with them forever, I was like HECK NO, if she's going to do this then I am too!

Slightly competitive that way, twins are..... What bites is that she's off camping in hers and I'm still slaving away!

Her blog is here
The Midllife Crisis - 1960 Airstream Restoration

Ps I was first born by a whole seven minutes It's another twin thing.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #438
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Cool, I'll have to check out her blog! She may be off camping, true, but was she as meticulous in her restoration as you have been?! You may have something on her, there (in addition to having been born first, lol!) ;-)
Old 11-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #439
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Another Maxim success!

Well the Maxim Skylight is in!

A while ago on these forums there was this thread about a residential/commercial company (Maxim) that would make a custom skylight to your specifications. They obviously have found Airstreams to be a niche market because they now have a page devoted to Airstream Skylights!

Many of the newer model Airstreams have converted their skylights to maxims but I only found mention of one other vintage rig, so I was a little concerned about how this was going to work.

I wanted to replace the Astrodome in the front with a Maxim. There are reproduction Astrodomes made, but I was missing the Ladeaux lifters and knobs (known unobtainium) so going back to what was there originally wasn't feasible. I've seen the knobs alone go for $50 on ebay, much less the lifter. I will lose the abilty to open the Astrodome but with the two Fantastic fans creating the equilavent of a wind tunnel, I doubt I'll miss it.

This is what I started with!

This masqueraded as an Astrodome. I think it's a window off a seventies Airstream. If you can identify it and want it, it's yours for the shipping.
The maxim is custom made so it was necessary to remove the old skylight to take accurate measurements. My skylight frame happened to squared up (or rectangled up?) but it's possible that the frame could be bowed out in the center or out of square so I took take measurements in a few different places. I was concerned about the top of the frame having a channel. Late model Airstream's are flat there and somewhat wider. With the design of the skylight it was a non issue.

Taking the measurements...

I called and gave them the actual measurements. They build in a fudge factor of 3/4 inch, so you have a 3/4 gap all the way around. My actual measurements were 13.875 by 25 inches and the skylight they made for me was 14.625 by 25.75.inches.

I chose all three layers domed and clear, and a mill finish frame. Just over $200 including shipping. The genius about these skylights is that they screw into your original frame from the side! Much less likely to leak.

I found the Maxin Company to be simply amazing to work with. There was a slight hiccup in the process when they got my order wrong. They cheerfully admitted the mistake and had the correct skylight made and sent the next day.

And they are very strong, try doing this to a regular astrodome!
(Okay guys, this is a gratuitous use of two pretty girls trying to break a maxim skylight. This is as good as this post is going to get so if you stop reading after watching this I understand! Totally....just saying....)

Go ahead click , I'll wait....

Anyway, this is what the skylight looked like during the test fit

Jut like the Fantastic Fans the hardest part by far was getting all the old sealant off!

I installed with #10 hex head stainless sheet metal screws. Make sure you deburr the holes on the skylight, a few of mine needed it. Otherwise the screw won't tighten up. The skylight frame comes pre-drilled (and without hardware).

When I test fitted the skylight I predrilled the holes into the original framing because I wanted to be sure that the skylight was centered on the inside. The predrilled holes on the skylight are too low to use a drill to transfer the holes to the original frame, so I chucked a bit into my dremel and used that.

Then I used a trebled up piece of Eternabond double stick tape and put a piece of the alumibond over that (just so the skylight wouldn't stick when I test fitted it. When the screw goes through the doublestick it will seal itself.

I did use Tremco 635 on the exterior of the screws. Here's the finished product. Quite a bit better looking than when I started!

It's been leak free through several rainstorms. I'm going to have to fabricate some kind of trim because the screws are visible from the inside of the Airstream. Late model Airstreams have a trim piece that will cover it, but the vintage rigs don't.The view from below.

Guess whats next?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #440
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Full-Timing , All states!
Looks great, Shelly! Good choice in replacing the Astrodome. We did a Maxim too in our '65 because our lifters were in terrible shape and we hated the opaque plastic, and we love it so far. It adds so much light to the living area and we love looking up and seeing trees or stars overhead.

Here's what we did to trim out the inside. We used red oak and nailed the pieces to one another, then to the wood trim that's riveted to the ceiling. We'll see if it holds up over time, but we've hit some pretty serious bumps while driving and it hasn't come down...yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7759.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	200264  
Previously owned a 1965 Overlander, fully renovated it, then sold it after a year of full-time travel. We're taking a break from trailers to try a class A for a while, but we're still Airstreamers at heart!
Our blog | Video tour of our trailer
KristinS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, 1963 overlander