Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #7261
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
St. Thomas , ontario
Our Maxim Sklyloight arrived today. Just have to figure out when it is going to get installed now.....
onemorejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #7262
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Just replaced the fridge panels in our FC27 with matching laminate. No more fingerprints and we think it’s a better look! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3489.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	399731Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3490.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	399732
Old 07-23-2021, 03:14 PM   #7263
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1549.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	510.6 KB
ID:	400235new table for Cecil. Couple more coats of arm-r-seal ought to do it.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:21 PM   #7264
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Looks beautiful. Love the depth of the shine that’s coming up nicely! What kind of wood?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:58 AM   #7265
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Attachment 400235new table for Cecil. Couple more coats of arm-r-seal ought to do it.
Very nice indeed. Post a pic after installation.

Thanks for sharing!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:09 AM   #7266
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
AM Solar assisted me in choosing portable panels to supplement my 250W of roof solar. These 2 - 100W Obsidian panels are a new product carried by AM Solar. They have an improved PWM controller and a thinner design.

One thing I didn't realize was that 1 doesn't have a controller and it just runs through the one that does. This was an added bonus for me as I also have a Yeti Goal Zero 1000 lithium that I use for AC power in my Globetrotter as well as a DC supplement. For the times I use my GZ without my Globetrotter, I can use the panel without the controller to charge my GZ. I found an adapter that will take the SAE Zamp connector and convert it to fit the 8mm input on the GZ. There is also an adapter in between to reverse the polarity of the Zamp connector to correct the polarity used by the GZ.

Looking forward to finding the sun when my roof panels are shaded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Portable Panels.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	400258  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:48 AM   #7267
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloBuckeye View Post
Just replaced the fridge panels in our FC27 with matching laminate. No more fingerprints and we think it’s a better look! Attachment 399731Attachment 399732
I like it. I considered doing similar but Dometic doesn't sell panels.
Did you cut them yourself from a sheet of laminate?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #7268
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Looks beautiful. Love the depth of the shine that’s coming up nicely! What kind of wood?

Local Oregon walnut
Old 07-24-2021, 11:42 AM   #7269
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Colts Neck , New Jersey
Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Attachment 400235new table for Cecil. Couple more coats of arm-r-seal ought to do it.
That is so beautiful!!!! What type of wood is that? I have always wanted to try to make a real wood tabletop!
megster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #7270
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Installed the Dish Wally receiver for my Pathway X2 satellite dish. My Globetrotter was prewired for satellite, but AS could not have made it harder to find the other end of the cable. Now watching a Dr Pimplepopper marathon.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:30 AM   #7271
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
AM Solar assisted me in choosing portable panels to supplement my 250W of roof solar. These 2 - 100W Obsidian panels are a new product carried by AM Solar. They have an improved PWM controller and a thinner design.

One thing I didn't realize was that 1 doesn't have a controller and it just runs through the one that does. This was an added bonus for me as I also have a Yeti Goal Zero 1000 lithium that I use for AC power in my Globetrotter as well as a DC supplement. For the times I use my GZ without my Globetrotter, I can use the panel without the controller to charge my GZ. I found an adapter that will take the SAE Zamp connector and convert it to fit the 8mm input on the GZ. There is also an adapter in between to reverse the polarity of the Zamp connector to correct the polarity used by the GZ.

Love hearing the different solutions people come up with. Thanks for sharing!
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #7272
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
New Axles and Lift Kit

I ordered new axles and a lift kit for our 76 Excella 500 back in April. I guess Dexter is backed up with orders, but I took delivery of my items this past Monday 7/19/21 and finished installing them on Wednesday, 7/21/21. They were great to work with! Cynthia took care of everything for me and I can only recommend others to give them a call......if I ever have to do this again in the future, that's who I will be dealing with. I only had to drive 4.5 hours to the closest Redneck Trailer Supply (Dexter Dealership) to pick them up. They loaded them for me and all I had to do was sign off that I received them. I ordered 2 #11 Torflex 4500lb. capacity axles, with EZ-lube 6 lug hubs (original wheels with fit on those) with 12" electric brakes and the lift kit. The only thing I had to do was make one of the mounting holes in the frame a slot for the new stuff. This has to be done regardless with new axles on an older unit. Only set me back around $2200 and that included the cost of gas to drive and pick them up and back home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	400343   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1_1.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	400344  

Name:	image3_1.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	400345   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	400346  

Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #7273
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
Mollysdad,

I cut it myself from one piece of laminate. Pulled the aluminum panels out and replaced with the new. Cut the "combined" piece first, so it kept the grain when I cut it sideways for the top and bottom panels. $60 for 3'x8' sheet from Home Depot.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:12 AM   #7274
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:

Curious to know more about why you chose this system. My brain gets a little crazy when talking about batteries and power but I'm thinking you chose a GZ over installing a converter??? Am I getting at right? If so, why? I'm trying to look at different solutions before I take the plunge. Leaning towards a solar panel for sure...I know that much. Thanks!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
Old 07-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #7275
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by megster View Post
That is so beautiful!!!! What type of wood is that? I have always wanted to try to make a real wood tabletop!

Thanks! It’s Oregon walnut.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:11 AM   #7276
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
Curious to know more about why you chose this system. My brain gets a little crazy when talking about batteries and power but I'm thinking you chose a GZ over installing a converter??? Am I getting at right? If so, why? I'm trying to look at different solutions before I take the plunge. Leaning towards a solar panel for sure...I know that much. Thanks!
Farafield, the short answer is “yes”. I use my GZ vs a converter in my Globetrotter. The converter is only 1000W and is only useful for the television, very small coffee maker, etc and it uses a LOT of DC battery power. The GZ has 3000W surge and 1500W continuous. I will power the microwave, hair dryer, coffee make, television, etc. Basically, anything electrical but the A/C and HVAC system and uses none of your DC battery power. I don’t use my converter anymore. For me, the GZ took the place of my converter and my Honda 2000 generator.

I used to carry around my a) Honda generator, a gas can for it b) my portable grill and a propane tank for it. I got rid of the gas can, the generator, the propane tank and replaced it with the GZ and use the propane from the RV. Take up a lot less space and is safer to transport.

I didn’t think of any of this myself. It all came from this forum. The idea for the GZ came from Pteck’s thread;

Affordable Approachable Lithium - Airstream Forums (airforums.com)

You may, but I didn’t understand any of it when I first read it. My set up is not as efficient as his but, basically I use my GZ just like I use to use my generator. See the attached pics.

1. I put the GZ in the back of my truck, (FYI this is not my TV in the picture),
2. I put a 50A to 20A adaptor in my shore power input
3. I take a 10 gauge extension cord and connect the 2.
4. I turn off the converter breaker in my Globetrotter at the breaker panel. By turning off the converter, the GZ will not be using electricity to charge the RV batteries. However, if your RV batteries get low you can use it for that by turning the breaker back "on"
5. I put my refrigerator in Propane mode vs auto so that it does not run on electricity.

By doing this, my RV batteries will run everything 12V and my GZ will run everything 120V in my RV (except HVAC system). If I am not using my microwave, I just leave the GZ in the RV and plug the other item directly to the GZ (hair dryer / TV/ coffee grinder/ etc).

We are minimalist when we camp. I use about 200-300 watt hours of the 1000 GZ watt hours a day. My 250W roof top solar will recharge that daily. If I have shade, I now have the portable panels for that. I installed a cigarette lighter input in my RV to recharge the GZ inside my RV with the solar.

If I go to a football game and tailgate, my GZ will power my television and blender with no generator noise and the 100W portable panel will keep the GZ charged if It needs it.

Pteck’s system has the GZ installed inside his RV with a transfer switch. When he as electricity from a pedestal the transfer switch will choose that source. When he does not, the transfer switch will choose the GZ as the AC power source. I do not have the expertise to do that. His system is more efficient and better but mine gets the job done as well.

If you need anymore info, send me a PM and I’ll be glad to give you a call.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yeti outside.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	400483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yeti-1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	505.6 KB
ID:	400484  

Name:	Yeti Cigarette lighter Charger.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	400485  
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #7277
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
Installed a new black tank Valterra dump valve assembly. Old one was dripping a small amount so hopefully prevented a looming disaster.

Progressive EMS PT30x

Some Boeshield T-9

A St Croix fly rod at a yard sale for $25…oh wait that’s sort of for the Airstream.
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:27 AM   #7278
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Farafield, the short answer is “yes”. I use my GZ vs a converter in my Globetrotter. The converter is only 1000W and is only useful for the television, very small coffee maker, etc and it uses a LOT of DC battery power. The GZ has 3000W surge and 1500W continuous. I will power the microwave, hair dryer, coffee make, television, etc. Basically, anything electrical but the A/C and HVAC system and uses none of your DC battery power. I don’t use my converter anymore. For me, the GZ took the place of my converter and my Honda 2000 generator.

I used to carry around my a) Honda generator, a gas can for it b) my portable grill and a propane tank for it. I got rid of the gas can, the generator, the propane tank and replaced it with the GZ and use the propane from the RV. Take up a lot less space and is safer to transport.

I didn’t think of any of this myself. It all came from this forum. The idea for the GZ came from Pteck’s thread;

Affordable Approachable Lithium - Airstream Forums (airforums.com)

You may, but I didn’t understand any of it when I first read it. My set up is not as efficient as his but, basically I use my GZ just like I use to use my generator. See the attached pics.

1. I put the GZ in the back of my truck, (FYI this is not my TV in the picture),
2. I put a 50A to 20A adaptor in my shore power input
3. I take a 10 gauge extension cord and connect the 2.
4. I turn off the converter breaker in my Globetrotter at the breaker panel. By turning off the converter, the GZ will not be using electricity to charge the RV batteries. However, if your RV batteries get low you can use it for that by turning the breaker back "on"
5. I put my refrigerator in Propane mode vs auto so that it does not run on electricity.

By doing this, my RV batteries will run everything 12V and my GZ will run everything 120V in my RV (except HVAC system). If I am not using my microwave, I just leave the GZ in the RV and plug the other item directly to the GZ (hair dryer / TV/ coffee grinder/ etc).

We are minimalist when we camp. I use about 200-300 watt hours of the 1000 GZ watt hours a day. My 250W roof top solar will recharge that daily. If I have shade, I now have the portable panels for that. I installed a cigarette lighter input in my RV to recharge the GZ inside my RV with the solar.

If I go to a football game and tailgate, my GZ will power my television and blender with no generator noise and the 100W portable panel will keep the GZ charged if It needs it.

Pteck’s system has the GZ installed inside his RV with a transfer switch. When he as electricity from a pedestal the transfer switch will choose that source. When he does not, the transfer switch will choose the GZ as the AC power source. I do not have the expertise to do that. His system is more efficient and better but mine gets the job done as well.

If you need anymore info, send me a PM and I’ll be glad to give you a call.
Because football and tailgates and tv's and blenders go together!

Just kidding--thank you SO MUCH for this info. I think it's an interesting solution and its really helpful to know the back story as well as the actual functioning of it. I meant "inverter" not "converter" I just realized but I'm glad I made that mistake because it was good to know when and why you turn off your GT converter. I will look at PTeck's posting too. Very cool. If you have a moment I'm curious to know what you have for battery(ies.) Thanks again and happy trails!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
Old 07-28-2021, 01:04 PM   #7279
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Set up the new Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-0550.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	400580  
GDGerry1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #7280
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We got a new tow vehicle for our 2015 23D International Serenity. One of the last of the 2021 200 series Land Crusiers. (The USA will not get the new 300 series that started production in March of 2021). It has been fitted with an Australian 12.5 gallon auxiliary gas tank that is above the spare and a pair of Firestone in coil air bags for the rear springs. The 12,780 combined weight was within specifications and there is an adequate margin on the axle weights to make this a viable combination.

The 23D is sporting new 3,600 pound axles with 12" dual puck disc brakes and a 3" lift. This required switching to six lug wheels from five lug wheels but we are still using 15" Michelin LTX 235/75R15 XL tires at 44 psi.

The 20.2 mpg I have seen on the highway with the 8 speed transmission drops to 10.2 mpg on the level when towing. I will definitely see single digits in the mountains.

As a last hurrah, the Land Cruiser is exceptionally quiet (can talk at normal volume at highway speeds) and the shift are barely. noticeable. Really pleased with the rig.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LC & 23D.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	400617  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote