View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 181 50.14%
Mac 196 54.29%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Being a graphic designer by trade, I am a dyed-in-the-wool MacHead. Would have it no other way. I do have PC friends (and like them very much despite of that fact), but they do not understand what I mean when I say that PCs don't have any sense of humor. Mac users do. Macs are fun and entertaining, besides being kick-a** computers (and they don't get viruses)! They have made my life easier and more productive (both in work and play)...and they make life more fun. By the way, I currently have a G5 tower and a G4 PowerBook...both are aluminum and when I am on the laptop in the Airstream, I can't help but be happy that all my favorite things match!

TB

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:28 PM   #198
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I guess I never followed up. I did get an iMac 24", the older white model. I've had it for a couple of months.

I also pre-ordered Leopard and got it installed on the 26th. :-)

So far I'm pretty happy. It does take some adjustment. Like on the iPhoto thing we were talking about. Its nice that it *takes care* of all that background stuff of saving it to its library. However it makes it difficult to pick out a few to email or use for a website. You'd have to open iPhoto which takes a while with my 6000+ photos. Then export them out of the library. I see that the new Mail has a photo browser in it. That should help some.

Overall I'm glad I switched, if nothing else, just to learn something new.

Some of this, *it just works* stuff it a little hype. There is still a learning curve. For example, the mac did not just find my printer. I had to download a driver for it, then figure out how to get the mac to find the driver. It was not that simple.

Also I was trying to get some files from my old windows pc to the mac via the network and the Drop Box. Took me a couple of hours to figure out that you could drop stuff in the box, but not click on it from the windows pc. I still have not figured out how to grant full access to a folder from a windows pc.

It has been pretty solid and its slick and powerful. I downloaded a program called GeekBench to run bench marks and compare with my brothers who run more powerful pc's, more memory, dual processors, etc.... I out benched both of them

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #199
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just a little story on what happened a few weeks ago.

Two of our schools were broken into.

One school, they intruders threw a 17" flat panel iMac to the floor, face down, totally destroying the display. After that, it appears that they played kickball type hockey with it, up and down the hall (on it's face). The stand was all bent up, the case was cracked, badly scratched up from sliding up and down the hall and into walls, parts of the case chipped off (and of course the screen was totally gone).

Being me, I wondered what would happen if I plugged it in and tried to fire it up?

I plug it in, it chimes like it should. Can't see squat, but wait, I have remote management (Apple Remote Desktop aka: ARD) active on it....so, I plug it into the network, fire it up again, and after a few minutes (giving the poor beast some time to try to boot up, thinking it still is damaged beyond working order right?). Low and behold, ARD says it's at the login screen. So I click on it, take control, login, run some tests, the guts are as flawless as it was before it got damaged. Little trooper still worked even after such extreme severe abuse. It was too costly to fix, but I had a logic board die on another one of our 300 similar iMacs (out of warranty). Happy to say that this little troopers soul is being put into a new body and put back into production, awaiting it's 10.5 upgrade over this coming summer and back into the hands of kids and adults to use.

I have to say, been in computers a long time and seen many abuse cases, this one was simply the worst I'd seen and the most remarkable that all the internals (minus the LCD screen) still worked (logic, combo drive, hard drive, camera, etc).

So, to reaffirm the answer, Mac, all the way.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I find emailing photos a breeze- just select the photos and click the e-mail icon. Then it lets you choose a size of the photo. It's just as easy for web photos. My sister-in-law was amazed at how easy it was and ran out to buy an iMac.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I was at a campground in Bozeman that didn't have a good wifi signal. So was carrying my iMac, wireless keyboard and mouse to the launry room where they had a table and a good signal. A guy saw me waalking along and said "An iMac, you must be the guy in the Airstream".

It's all about design.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #202
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
I've used both a Mac and a PC over the years. Before Windows came along, Mac was my favorite. Plus, at one time, Mac had the best art/design software. Now that the PC has Windows and the massive volume of software choices, the PC is a contender and has won my heart (and bucks).

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #203
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Macs run more software than Windows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I've used both a Mac and a PC over the years. Before Windows came along, Mac was my favorite. Plus, at one time, Mac had the best art/design software. Now that the PC has Windows and the massive volume of software choices, the PC is a contender and has won my heart (and bucks).
With virtualization--Boot Camp or Parallels, for example--Macs run all Windows-specific software. Add to that the best-in-breed Apple software and other exceptional third-party software and you have a computer that runs more software than any non-Apple PC.

Perhaps you are unaware of this fact. Check it out.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #204
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
For a living, I wrote software for 35 years. I wrote in many different languages, and on many different operating systems. Windows is by far, nothing close, the most mind boggling, complex, bug infested, illogical , time consuming platform I have ever programmed on. How our company succeeded to create a reliable process control system on that POS still amazes me.

When I retired, I had to buy my own laptop, bummer. I really wanted a MAC, but they seemed to be twice as expensive, and for what I use a laptop for, it just was not worth it to me. Besides, after writing Windows applications for the past 12 years, I have become pretty good working around its problems and rebooting.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #205
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Tech Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetat

But I discovered something recently. My Mac is not as challenging. When I do something with my Mac, it works. When I test new equipment on my Windows system I find myself playing the "technical challenge game". Since I've spent more time on a Mac these past few years I'd forgotten the excitement I felt when I actually got something to work on Windows. Recent experience has reminded me of that. I almost felt like my skill set had dulled because of my Mac use. No technical challenges, stuff just always worked!
That's interesting. And I can identify with that to some extent - that's why pc's seem to be the playground for the techies. But those technical challenges seem to pop up at the wrong times leading to frustation. I have used both Mac and pc through the years and am committing to Mac for the future. Just ordered Creative Suite 3 for Mac, a Wacom tablet is next. I will also, in time, purchase a Macbook to replace the Dell laptop. No more fence straddling, time to choose. Part of the decision making was the looming threat of Vista.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #206
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
What kind of technical challenges?

Many folks have alluded to PC "technical challenges"...can you elaborate more on what those challenges were? I'm just curious because I have been using a PC for over 15 years now and have never encountered a "technical challenge".

I don't consider myself a casual end user either. My current PC-environment is somewhat more complex than a simple homeowner setup of a single computer with a printer. My system includes a LAN connecting multiple printers, scanner, hubs, back up drives, laptops, servers, and desktop systems.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #207
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Have used (either in school or to make a living with):
IBM OS-360 (remember EBCDIC?)
VAX/VMS
Too many flavors & variants of *nix to bother counting
A number of embedded controller "OS's"
plus the usual slather of small computer OS's

It's tempting to assume that the user interface is the OS, but it isn't - it's just the interface. (book by the cover, yada yada).

That said, *nix is a decent, if unspectacular OS, and a personal system interface built on it is likely to have a number of strengths not immediately apparent.
Microsoft, OTOH, well, it's all proprietary and from one release to the next we don't quite know what they did with the OS until the patches start coming out.

Yes, I use both. Guess which we buy with our own money.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #208
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Smile Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
Have used (either in school or to make a living with):
IBM OS-360 (remember EBCDIC?)
VAX/VMS
Too many flavors & variants of *nix to bother counting
A number of embedded controller "OS's"
plus the usual slather of small computer OS's
VM or MVS?
Wow a VAX I have not heard that in a long time. What is VAX an acronym for?
Unix I count four/five/six (ok I lost count too) that I have used. BSD was my favorite. On the Mac you do not see the Unix in the background. It is definately there.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #209
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
VM or MVS?
Wow a VAX I have not heard that in a long time. What is VAX an acronym for?
Unix I count four/five/six (ok I lost count too) that I have used. BSD was my favorite. On the Mac you do not see the Unix in the background. It is definately there.
OK...I'm dating myself now...I used VM and MVS a long time ago. I also programmed in assembler and Fortran and used JCL to submit jobs to IBM mainframes.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #210
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
I was glad to see so many mac users out there. I am a linux guy myself. I have ubuntu on my laptop and I am trying to get my wife to switch to a mac, but it will never happen. I literally hate it when I have to straighten her windows computer out. I've been having a ball letely with a Nokia n800 internet tablet. It's great with wifi, skype and browsing in general. It has a camera and I think I could get away with using it on the road as a replacement for my laptop.

Amazon.com: Nokia N800 Internet Tablet PC: Computers & PC Hardware