Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 182 50.42%
Mac 195 54.02%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #261
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had a Mac PowerBook G4 for over 7 years, love it, love it. Our computer-genius son only has Macs, would have nothing else, says they are the best place to put your money. I have to say that if it were not for the son to provide tech support, we may still not have a computer. Learning curves are so hard as you get older, but don't know now how we would live with out the laptop on the road.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #262
1 Rivet Member

Go Mac and never look back!

After years of frustration with every PC I've ever owned, I finally purchased a Macbook Pro in March of 2007. I had lusted for one since I was a kid. I can say as far as personal use-I will NEVER own another PC again! Although it took a few weeks to figure out tiny differences between the two operating systems-the Mac simply ROCKS! Gone are those long delays when you turn it on waiting for everything to load. Put it to sleep-then wake it up. The Mac is ready in about 7 seconds. Try that on a PC. I have used PC's for both music (I'm a keyboard player in two bands) and for my other normal tasks-including lots of high power games. I learned all the IRQ'S, Ports, other crap. Still had a ton of problems. But the Mac has changed my life! I think you will find Mac users to be PASSIONATE about their computers. Try finding a PC users who loves constantly scanning for viruses, crazy updates all the time and the rest. The Mac is so easy to use. No manual is needed. In fact when I took it on our vacation last year to Phoenix, having owned it for 3 weeks, I dumped the photos of our trip on the Mac. Within about 20 minutes at the hotel that night, I created a cool slideshow with great transitions and music. I never read anything. Didn't have to purchase a manual. Never called tech support to figure out how to do anything. It was so easy. The computer simply works-period. A year later my computer still fires up ready to work in less than 60 seconds and there is no difference in it's perfomance. I have added several high power music production software products and still no difference. Added other Apple products, still no difference. No virus protection, how cool is that! And I use the computer at least 1-4 hours a day. No worrying about spyware and viruses. Try that on a PC! My little website for my Airstream birdhouses I build (www.chromedomestudio.com) was created in two evenings and I never read a manual. I had tried two or three times to build a slick website before on my PC's. No luck. I could go on and on-but I can honestly say there is nothing I don't like about the Mac. I have probably saved 50 hours of use last year just because the unit powers up so quickly and wakes up so quickly. That alone is worth the price of the computer! I encourage you to purchase a Mac. You will NOT be dissapointed!
my63gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #263
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We are full-timers and would not be without our MacBook, the above poster is right on!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #264

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I guess someone has to speak up for PC

We got into computers at work early on. We were early AOLers, back when AOL was about the only ISP out there.

About three or four years ago, one of our sons convinced us to give a Mac a try. Try we did, but found the Mac difficult to navigate, and we had a hard time with the foreign (to us) commands and maneuvers. After a couple of months we gave the Mac to our son, and returned to the familiar world of PC.

We recently ventured out into the world of Linux with a micro notebook (7" screen) that we use for quick email checks for orders.

In the end, we still prefer PC, and we're still with AOL.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #265
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
My Mac's

Have been in the IT field for over 25 years and worked on or operated OS2, Novel, Windows, DOS, Unix, COBOL, RPG, C, assembler, and lord knows how many I have forgotten. Late last year I went and purchased a iMac 24". After I migrated my music, photo's, data, and other info, I had a solemn moment, and then shut down the three Microsoft OS PC's on my network. No more daily adaware/spybot updates, no more daily updates to the virus protection software, and no more weekly/month emergency patching of the OS, just to be safe on the internet.

In fact I like my new Mac so much, I went a purchased a 15.4 MacBook Pro. I can run Microsoft Office for Mac, Adobe photoshop, and tons of other packages with NO problems. Only occasionally do I get an update to the AV software and updates to the OS. I also enjoy the Airport Extreme wireless (802.11n protocol). I have been thinking about installing a Mac mini in the AS and use my LCD TV as the monitor. The wireless mouse and keyboard would be great. It would be compact and provide exception performance.
At work we use Windows XP and are getting ready to migrate to Vista shortly (a corporate decision, not a personnel one), and this a tumultuous undertaking.
I have converted friends and family, with no complaints or problems.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #266
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Thumbs up Why choose

A Mac that runs both operating systems..for that rare occasion that I need a windows based system!!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #267
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This thread is a little more than three years old and it seems it's been pretty even for a long time. Since Mac market penetration is less than 10%, it seems that Airstreams and Macs go together pretty well, at least much more than the general population.

No Conflicter on Macs—when will Conflicter take over the PC world?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #268
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Can I change my vote? When my PC died a few weeks ago, I bought a Macbook Pro!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #269
The Silverdome

2003 28' Classic
PEORIA , Illinois
Mac a natural for Airstream owners

I have used both but have had only Macs at home for 20 years. The new precision aluminum enclosure design for MacBooks follows the Airstream principles of durability, rigidity, light weight and recycling.

Have had zero downtime with Macs and have no add-on software for viruses.

iMac 24, LaCie external backup, .Mac backup
Just bought my first AS--a 2003 Classic 28 rear twin. Plan to tow with a 2003 Silverado 2500HD 6 liter gas.
wiegabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #270
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, as I posted before, I'm a rabid Mac fan. Here are a few shots of upgrading Macs at work. The eMacs were installed in 2004 and just replaced this past summer with flat screen iMacs. You have a before and after shot of one computer lab at one building. The server racks are xServe and Promise RAIDs. My Suburban loaded with Mac Books...odd that what is in the back is worth far more in terms of $$$ than the Suburban itself.

Over the summer we will have about 850 Macintosh workstations. We will have about 30 servers, mostly Mac, a few Linux, and of course one token PC server running Win2003 Server.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	78012   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	78013  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	78014   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	78015  

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #271
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
..and pic of the Burb loaded up....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	78016  
Old 04-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #272
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
I will vote Mac too.

I've got a Dell laptop that the company lets me use, and I hate it. We will be switching over to Vista in the next few months also, and things are only going to get worse. I just wish I could convince the IT department to make the switch to Mac.........our lives would be so much better. (Would you believe they laugh at me when I make such suggestions?)

Rush Limbaugh is now promoting the Mac......woohoo!!!

Woody
Woody.303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #273
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I thought Microsoft gave up on Vista, and they were stripping a lot of bad stuff out of it and sort of going back to whatever their last OS was with the Vista interface. They always try to copy the Mac OS and then they screw it up.

It all proves to me that a bad product can be sold to a lot of people and think it's fine because they know no better.

Gene
Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #274
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody.303 View Post
Rush Limbaugh is now promoting the Mac......woohoo!!!

Woody
It might be worth the pain and suffering to start using a PC if Limbaugh is hawking Macintosh computer

Jonathan
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #275
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev View Post
It might be worth the pain and suffering to start using a PC if Limbaugh is hawking Macintosh computer

Jonathan
This is a concern to me too, but maybe it means we've won. Microsoft is defeated. Even Limbaugh has surrendered. But will that mean they'll start writing viruses and worms for Macs?

Gene
Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #276
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Started with Mac's but had to get a Dell to run MS Access for work. Now that Macs have Intel processors, I'm back with a big iMac and couldn't be happier.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #277
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
progress: when it no longer matters

Gizmodo - I Switched to Mac After a Lifetime of Windows, and It Doesn't Matter - Windows
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #278
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
But will that mean they'll start writing viruses and worms for Macs?

Gene
This is one area where I clearly part with the Mac faithful.

Macs do have very few select viruses out there, it's not zero. Macs are also not totally immune to viruses.

With the increasing popularity (for obvious reasons) of Mac and their ancillary products, Macs will without question become more of a target. If you look outside the Apple window, larger companies like Cisco are writing networking applications for to run on the Mac OS. Both companies engineering teams are right down the street from each other and don't think that they don't go out to lunch on more than a few occasions. Ten years ago, I doubt this was the case and I can say without question any Cisco person out there knows that there were no apps that could manage Cisco stuff in OS 9 or even early versions of OS X.

My point is that if companies like Cisco are in tune with the Mac OS and writing for them native, as are others, it is inevitable that there will be at some point some Mac hardships to overcome. However, let me say that my prediction is that whatever the Mac simply doesn't pass on and takes as a hit, will be small compared to the nearly hourly updates for Windows.

Mac is based in part off Free BSD, which is based off UNIX...you can read more about it here:

FreeBSD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

UNIX has been around for decades (about 40 years). Nearly all OS versions based off it, like Linux, FreeBSD, etc are very proven.

What I find mind numbing is that Microsoft has FreeBSD on their Xbox product, yet insists on keeping their Windows OS in its current form. I have heard great things about the next version of Windows that is due, but again, UNIX, Linux and all the likes are IMHO far better products on which to build an OS.

Apple thankfully left their proprietary OS behind around 2000 and ceased support for it recently. Those in the know in Mac circles know that the very first OSX, pre 10.0 was in fact a NeXT product hammered together to work on Macs and laid the groundwork for the new OS versions under our noses today.

If only Microsoft followed what their Xbox folks are doing, perhaps Windows would not be so bad. I did read a bit ago that Microsoft was interested in duplicating the Mac's strategy (sound familiar?) in that Microsoft is realizing that owning the end to end experience really does positively effect the product. Case in point, you buy a Dell it has these drivers, you buy an HP, and it has these drivers. You can't just buy a Windows CD off the shelf and install it without having to do some hunting.

There are some benefits to having Windows the way it is, but again, IMHO, those perks are used for maybe 5 to 10% of the user base. The other say 90% uses the machines like most of us do (email, web, word processing, chat, video and audio streaming, etc).

Of course to each their own.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #279
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Just asking the question. The Mac operating system is not bullet proof, but far more so than Windows. Few bad things have been written for Macs and they've had very limited success. People who like to screw up things go for the OS that can cause the most trouble and is, in addition, easy to hack, so they ignore the more difficult Mac OS. But someday, someone, just for the pleasure of it, will write something nasty for the Mac.

Gene
Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #280
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Name, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
This is one area where I clearly part with the Mac faithful.

Macs do have very few select viruses out there, it's not zero.
Could you please name the virus that you believe might infect the Mac OS X? A reference would be appreciated.

A trojan is not a virus, BTW, so some theoretical infectious item is not what I am looking for.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote