Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What computer do you use?
PC 182 50.42%
Mac 195 54.02%
Other 7 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #281
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
First ever virus for Mac OS X discovered

New MacOS and Linux virus found in the wild

One is pretty much enough. As Gene suggests, as time progresses, it will continue to evolve.

I can recall several pre OSX viruses that our virus software caught that was written to exploit of all things Microsoft Office files in Office 98 for Mac.

However these two posted are for OSX, though a bit dated (and one can be debated if it's a worm, virus, etc) it clearly shows there is the ability. Macs are NOT totally immune. Those who believe they are totally immune or bullet proof are taking a trip down to a fools paradise leading to no place good.

I manage a nearly $2 million Mac OS 10.5.x Enterprise. I sleep far better than my PC counterparts do, but I take no comfort or lax security measures thinking my Macs can't be attacked , be it for denial of service or worse. I am constantly keeping up with patches, issues, and have several pathways leading to Cupertino should I need them. I have anti-virus software and intrusion detection and prevention gear all over. I also try to hack my network a least 2-3 times a month using known software and outside consultants from time to time to audit our work, fully understanding that the only 100% security is not to have end users and disconnect from the Internet.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #282
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
BTW, this site is not as good as it use to be, but it does still from time to time show the exploits that can be done in OSX:

Macintosh Security Site - Security for Mac Platform MacOS X Security Firewalls Desktop Network Security secure mac os x Virus Encrpytion PGP macosx
Old 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #283
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I agree with myoung, everything at this point has truly been a trojan, not a virus AND it requires you to install the software by authentication and interaction by the user. Never give 'em root access, and never run your everyday account with administrator privileges.

I feel the larger concern is from crackers actively seeking exploits from the outside. Apple security has been rather lax in this respect and they are not quick enough to patch the vulnerabilities.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #284
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though not a virus, worm or otherwise, this one is pretty sobering.....

Researcher cracks Mac in 10 seconds | Platforms - InfoWorld

...and keep in mind as I post these, I am a rabid Mac fan.....
Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #285
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
10 seconds. Pretty impressive!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #286
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
A worm is not a virus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
First ever virus for Mac OS X discovered

New MacOS and Linux virus found in the wild

One is pretty much enough. As Gene suggests, as time progresses, it will continue to evolve.
Viruses propagate; worms and trojans do not. It is simply not true that a virus in the wild has hit Mac OS X in the 7+ years that it has been in existence.

Among the most recent attendees at an Apple SIG that I run in our retirement community, every single person has come to Mac because they were simply fed up with the viruses that plague Microsoft operating systems. People that I meet would rather not be forced to become or to hire repair/maintenance technicians. The damage to productivity and enjoyment inflicted upon Microsoft operating system owners/users borders on the criminal, but alas the victims all too often hug their assailants. The Stockholm Syndrome is prevalent.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #287
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There has long been controversy over whether anything, by whatever name it's called, that has attacked the various Mac OS's. I think what that means is there have been a very few attacks, they have been quickly defeated and have not been seen by most Mac users or techs. Whether you agree or disagree, it's good news.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:43 AM   #288
The Silverdome

2003 28' Classic
PEORIA , Illinois
Mac vs. PC

No doubt there will continue to be Mac attacks. I'll review the topic at our next MUG session. Thanks to all the links mentioned.
wiegabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #289
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
....and as expected......

Experts: Malicious program targets Macs - CNN.com
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #290
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
You Know. For as long as I have been a Mac user since 1988, I have NEVER bothered with any kind of anti-virus anything.

Well, yes I did when I got my first Mac Special Edition. I bought Norton Utilities. I had nothing but problems with that and un-installed it. That was the very last time.

It may be just dumb luck. I've experienced every other torture: drive failures, bad memory, SCSI control boards getting poodle-ish, motherboards and power supplies zapped. You name it, been there, done that.

But sometimes it seems that these utilities cause more problems than they solve.

Again, it may be my luck, or just that the Mac OS is far more superior than the PC.

I sort of hope that most people continue using the PC if only for the reason that bad guys will continue writing crap for the highest common denominator.

Jonathan

Jonathan
Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #291
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Pirates deserve their fate...

Pirated iWork contains botnet trojan, breaks hearts
by Aron Trimble on Apr 23rd, 2009

The tubes are ablaze today with news from CNN of the first ever latest malicious program to be found on the Mac. The trojan was first discovered in January but it did not receive wildfire-like popularity until recently when two experts at Symantec published a bulletin on the subject of the malware.

The trojan, named "iBotnet" (get it?), has only affected a few thousand Macs in the wild and it is currently not known to do any real harm. Should you be concerned? Well, the answer to that depends on whether you're a software pirate or not. The distribution method for this particular piece of malware is through the downloading of certain bootlegged copies of Apple's iWork.

Brian Krebs over at the Washington Post details some information about the actual first botnet specifically for the Mac. He points out that the current media storm is for a trojan that was actually discovered in January. He goes on to mention that the first botnet for the Mac was actually released in 2006 and targeted both Macs and PCs alike.

In other news, sales of Symantec's Norton AntiVirus shot up following the release of the security bulletin and subsequent frenzy of coverage. Actually, this is not true (at least to this humble blogger's knowledge); but it does pose an interesting question. Who profits most from the release of malware on any platform? One thing we know for sure, though, is that the end-user is definitely losing out in this game.

The moral of this story: stop all the downloading! Thanks G.I. Joe! In all seriousness, though, the majority of malware on the Mac (and on the PC) is distributed through nefarious chains of content acquisition. Be careful out there when clicking links and downloading files or programs from sites that you may not trust.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 04-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #292
Old Fulica

1994 25' Excella
Abbotsford , British Columbia
We have 2 Mac Minis at home and we take one with us in the trailer. We have a tuner that cost about $175 that converts the mac into a TV and works great. We also have Magicjack telephone that plugs into a USB outlet. For $30 a year we have unlimited telephone access at home and in the trailer (as long as we have a good internet connection), anywhere in North America. Would love to have an Ibook so it would be a little easier to transport.
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #293
WBCCI#-9025 AIR#-6091

2009 27' FB International
Stevenson Ranch , California
no comparison. Mac all the way. I use both and only enjoy using the mac.
airstreamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #294
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Well - it's time this thread was resurrected for some further discussion.

I got my first Mac in the late 80s when it was time to retire my Apple IIe. I stayed with a Mac for quite a few years until I had to switch to a PC for job reasons.

Now I can use whatever I want. So - a few weeks ago I went back to a Mac. I bought the 27" iMac and there is only one word I can use to describe it - AMAZING!

My final PC was a Dell and I had nothing but trouble with it. Dell made 4 service calls to my house to take care of problems with the primary cooling fan. It would continually kick up to high speed and not go back down until I re-booted the computer. On the last service call they completely rebuilt the machine. (sometimes an extended warranty can pay off)

I finally got so fed up with it that I decided it was time to go back to a Mac. I have no regrets! I'm now a total iPerson. I have an iPod, an iPhone, an iMac and now an iPad. Apple rules!

BTW - the iPad is totally cool

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #295
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Use the iPad once and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post

I finally got so fed up with it that I decided it was time to go back to a Mac. I have no regrets! I'm now a total iPerson. I have an iPod, an iPhone, an iMac and now an iPad. Apple rules!

... you'll reflexively reach for your credit card.

With access to books, music, video, TV, and 200,000+ apps, the iPad is a beautiful fit for the traveling Airstreamer. I find that iPad performance on wireless networks exceeds that of my nearly brand new MacBook Pro. The speed of the the iPad is astonishing. Mine is a 32 gigabyte version but my next one will be the larger 64 gigabyte version.

Oh, I'll also preorder the new Apple iPhone with iOS4 today and get a $99 iPhone 3GS for my wife rather than pass along my old iPhone 2.5G. Much has changed in just 3 years and the new phone is another tour de force.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #296
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod View Post
Well - it's time this thread was resurrected for some further discussion.

So maybe you can help me out!

I have a couple of Mac laptops and several ipods including a Touch.

Much as I like new gadgets, I can't really figure out why I would need an iPad!

I'd be happy to be convinced, but it just seems to me that most things can be done better and more conveniently with a Macbook or a Touch.

What am I missing here? They do seem to be selling very well, but is it to folks who don't own laptops and ipods?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #297
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
So maybe you can help me out!

I have a couple of Mac laptops and several ipods including a Touch.

Much as I like new gadgets, I can't really figure out why I would need an iPad!

I'd be happy to be convinced, but it just seems to me that most things can be done better and more conveniently with a Macbook or a Touch.

What am I missing here? They do seem to be selling very well, but is it to folks who don't own laptops and ipods?

Brian
Start by thinking of the iPad as a Touch with 4 times as much screen size. Then, add the iPad-specific apps and you will see what a difference this makes in usability and convenience. Books, movies, pictures and everything else benefits hugely from the larger screen and the improved microprocessor.

Have a look at the Apple web site and the iPad videos. Next, go to an Apple store or find someone who has one so you can see for yourself what the buzz is all about. "Game-changer" is ordinarily and overused phrase, but in this case it is true. You'd think the iPhone and iPod Touch are about as good as it gets, but your perceptions will change in an instant with the iPad.

Disclaimer: I'm a happy Apple shareholder.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 06-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #298
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Jim,

Now that you've come into the light, you'll have to give Vectorworks a spin!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I just read somewhere last week that apple's OS is now used on more machines that Microsoft but for the life of me, can't remember where. Or was it that their stock was worth more now. Was a huge story remembering when apple was such a small market. I guess they were counting the ipod and iphone product OS if it was that.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #300
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Apple passed Microsoft two weeks ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
I just read somewhere last week that apple's OS is now used on more machines that Microsoft but for the life of me, can't remember where. Or was it that their stock was worth more now. Was a huge story remembering when apple was such a small market. I guess they were counting the ipod and iphone product OS if it was that.
... as the American company with the second highest stock capitalization. Presently, Apple stands at about $232 billion in market cap; Microsoft has about $224 billion; ExxonMobil has about $286 billion in the number one position.

About two months ago Apple was behind ExxonMobil, Microsoft, Walmart, and Berkshire Hathaway. It passed Google, IBM, and HP many moons ago. It is also about 7 times more valuable than Dull.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D