Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I think it is very unlikely this will pass unless the sponsors can come up with a strong "sympathy" vote.
I am concerned a large number of unit members won't have a vote as they won't be represented at the delegates meeting due to low international attendance.
Assuming it fails again we will undoubtedly get to do this again next year

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #156
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
You know, the IBT could put a stop to this, even if as said above its put forth by one region or unit, but they don't.
Unfortunately, the WBCCI constitution and bylaws do not include a "three strikes" rule, that a motion raised three times and defeated three times would be dead forever. As it stands, the same people can put forward the same motion, year after year after year, ad infinitum and ad nauseum until it either passes or until they leave the club due to death, sale of their Airstream, or non-payment of dues.

Perhaps we should put forth a motion to adopt a "three strikes" rule…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Since Thor owns Airstream and they also produce SOB motor homes, what is preventing Thor from taking one of their "SOB" motor homes and re-branding or private labeling it to "Airstream". As it comes off of the assembly line just put an Airstream name pale on it in a few spots and hang a big rear mud flap with Airstream on it. They could call it the Airstream - Crossover model. Would it not then be an Airstream Motor Home.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #158
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Since Thor owns Airstream and they also produce SOB motor homes, what is preventing Thor from taking one of their "SOB" motor homes and re-branding or private labeling it to "Airstream". As it comes off of the assembly line just put an Airstream name pale on it in a few spots and hang a big rear mud flap with Airstream on it. They could call it the Airstream - Crossover model. Would it not then be an Airstream Motor Home?
Actually, by the definition in Article VI, Section 1 of the WBCCI Constitution, it would not. Having an Airstream badge is not the same as "manufactured by Airstream, Inc."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #159
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The Thor Motor Coach company is just as independent of Thor Industries as Airstream is, I believe. The Thor Motor Coach factory is located in "RV city," Elkhart Indiana (while Airstream is located in Jackson Center, Ohio). Thor Industries is the parent company of Thor Motor Coach, Airstream, Breckenridge, CrossRoads, Dutchmen, Keystone, Heartwood, and Redwood. For more info on Thor Industries, see their site:
Thor Industries, Inc. :: Recreation Vehicles, Commercial Buses and Corporate Information

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Since Thor owns Airstream and they also produce SOB motor homes, what is preventing Thor from taking one of their "SOB" motor homes and re-branding or private labeling it to "Airstream". As it comes off of the assembly line just put an Airstream name pale on it in a few spots and hang a big rear mud flap with Airstream on it. They could call it the Airstream - Crossover model. Would it not then be an Airstream Motor Home.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #160
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Thor also has rv trailer's, not just motorhomes.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you present the same thing every few years, eventually the mix of voters can change to where, tired of the same old thing, and with a smaller group because bunches have left the club because of this issue, it could pass. Not this year maybe, but maybe in 2 or 3 years, or more. The same leaders, or their carefully chosen successors, can keep bringing it up, over and over.

I suppose if Thor wanted to produce an "Airstream" MH, they would, but they have decided for years it isn't worth it. But if they changed their minds (lots of orders at a very high price), Airstream could contract with Thor to provide them with Airstream MH's—build most of it at Thor in Elkhart, bring it to JC, and finish it off with Airstream badging, some shiny aluminum panels, and some Airstream stuff inside. Thus an Airstream MH, manufactured by Airstream, Inc. Then it is just a matter of the club leaders saying it is constitutional. After all, when Airstream sends a shell to Timeless Travel Trailers, isn't TTT's final product still an Airstream and ok according to the club constitution? Vehicles of all sorts are often built in collaboration with different companies.

But they tried to convince Thor to do something like this and Thor said no. Otherwise, they wouldn't be trying to change the rules. Thor is a cost cutting company typical of many corporations. They aren't going to do anything that invests capital in it and doesn't have a high return right away. Twenty such MH's selling at $250,000 means something like a $2,500,000 investment (figure their cost at half the retail) unless they get most of the money up front. They would rather invest in corporate officer bonuses. They produce big profit with their practices. This is not a good long term strategy, but so far it has worked for them.

There is also the psychology that Airstream had MH's, they didn't sell all that well, and "we'll never try that again". Having been burned on poor quality thermopane windows decades ago, Airstream has never tried that again either even though other companies use them without a problem.

So their only option is to attempt to change the rules, over and over and over.

Gene
Old 04-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #162
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
[QUOTE="Protagonist"]

"Unfortunately, the WBCCI constitution and bylaws do not include a "three strikes" rule, that a motion raised three times and defeated three times would be dead forever. As it stands, the same people can put forward the same motion, year after year after year, ad infinitum and ad nauseum until it either passes or until they leave the club due to death, sale of their Airstream, or non-payment of dues.

Perhaps we should put forth a motion to adopt a "three strikes" rule…["

Okay , I propose that a motion be presented that 'the question of allowing non-Airstream products into the wbcci shall never be allowed again'

Can I get a 'second'?

FCU WBCCI #1601
I Don’t Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
I second!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #164
3 Rivet Member

Question...all in favor say "I" Motion carried. There it is done .
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
http://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Wish it was that simple.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #166
3 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Questions....Are you a WB member? Has your unit taken the time to read and understand the motion? Have you, as members, cast your votes or been given the opportunity to vote? Are you heading to Huron to defeat this motion? Has a delegate from your unit been determined to carry your vote forward?

If your unit is/has voted and not able to attend the International, find an affiliate who is willing to be your delegate so that your unit's voice is heard. Requirements are the affiliate must be in your region. A 1/3 count is needed to defeat this motion, 2/3 count to pass the motion.

Don't wait for your unit officers to move on this issue, take action. Apathy is not acceptable. You have a voice, please use it.

- An Official Airstream Fanatic
Follow us on Facebook and our website:
www.GreaterLosAngelesAirstreamUnit.wbcci.net
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #167
3 Rivet Member

The May Issue of Blue Beret has a Great Letter to the Editor in it. I hope all Airstream members of WBCCI read it this month & make sure your Unit votes !!!
Ford Diesel Van "The Obie Van"
WBCCI #2590
TAC PA-2
http://airstreamhobo.blogspot.com/
airstreamhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #168
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal View Post
Questions....Are you a WB member? Has your unit taken the time to read and understand the motion? Have you, as members, cast your votes or been given the opportunity to vote? Are you heading to Huron to defeat this motion? Has a delegate from your unit been determined to carry your vote forward?
Wisconsin Unit voted 14% in favor, 86% against the MoHo amendment at its spring business meeting. Unit president will be serving as Delegate at Huron.