Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #253
Rivet Master

WAM,

Sounds like it's time to send in the $$$ for those big red numbers again!

Since Lin had me fork over the money at your house last July, it's only fair you send in the $$$ for yours. Tell ya what I'll do, you pay the WBCCI dues and I'll pay your WDCU dues!

Oh, And I'm thinking April time frame for the 56 front kitchen pickup.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #254
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I like jwgreens summary. I like going on caravans. I like having enough interested members to keep a full complement of caravans running. I have a lot in TR. I like it fine. Good dynamic group. Good that they still let old airstreams in. Park does not look as nice as, say, the Minnosota Airstream Park, but it is very well run and having it full keeps costs under control. Probably a good decision for TR to drop the airstream only.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #255
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Keeping the Club Alive

WBCCI needs to continue doings the things that attract most of its current members. For some that means unit and regional rallies, for some it means caravans. WBCCI also must do something to attract new members or the club will die.

IMHO a significant number of new members will not be attracted to the club by allowing SOBs to join. SOB owners that I know have plenty of other avenues to enjoy their RVs - I have not heard any of them say - gee, I really wish WBCCI would open its doors to me.

People that own Airstreams have most of the same opportunities to enjoy their RVs - Good Sams Club, Escapees, FMCA, etc. AND we have WBCCI which connects us to the very roots of the brand. If WBCCI drops the Airstream only requirement it certainly diminishes my desire to be a member.

There are plenty of Airstreams on the road. New product is rolling off the assembly line every day. IMO there are sufficient numbers of owners to support an Airstream only club. Now we just have to find a way to get those owners engaged. Allowing SOBs in the club does not accomplish that!

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #256
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
+1

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #257
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
The thing about open doors is.....

they promote two way travel.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Old 02-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #258
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Probably a good decision for TR to drop the airstream only.
I was informed they were challenged in Court on a loophole in their share or lease contracts by a MOHO owner, and lost the exclusivity.

So it was not by choice, but it is great place with tons of activities.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #259
Rivet Master

"I was informed they were challenged in Court on a loophole in their share or lease contracts by a MOHO owner, and lost the exclusivity.

So it was not by choice"

So, once again a MOHO guy forcing his views and wants upon a large group that did not want them.

Where I have seen this before?

Sad how history repeats itself.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #260
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
[I]

Sad how history repeats itself.
Sadder is how often we repeat it....
Old 05-28-2011, 05:31 AM   #261
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
As per the Constitutional Rewrite Committee request, and the antics of the Motorhome Select Committee, we should move the conversation of the rising from the dead (another SOB motorhome Constitutional amendment) to a thread with a more appropriate title.

At last count there are 450 motorhome owners in the club. That is 7.5% of the membership. Of these, 48 (0.08% of the club) have membership numbers lower than 1000. These three digit numbers indicate they are among the ruling elite in the club. Once again, they are trying to remake the club to satisfy their own particular needs and desires. The presidential select Motorhome committee is dominated by these 3 digit motorhome owners. The do not think the Airstream Club should be exclusive to Airstreamers. Most of these people are also members of FMCA. Do they think FMCA should start admitting trailers to their ranks? The logic does not ring true. If you are an FMCA member and want to party with other SOB motorhomes, go to the FMCA rallies. If you want to party with Airstreamers, keep your Airstream motorhome and party with WBCCI or the other Airstream clubs around the country.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #262
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
I Read The Agenda

Why I ask was this report not provided to the Units for review at our Spring Meeting? Oh wait I know, they want to sneak this in without us common members getting to vote on it at the Unit level. I know one thing, the next email I send is to my Unit President to tell him to vote NO on anything that has to do with non-Airstream motor homes in the club. ( on the other hand HE is a progressive member and will read this here!)

You should read the BS that committee has put together, they are worried about loosing members that own MOHO? Just pass this and see how many members will depart and I can guarantee I will be the first to go.

Don't do it folks, just don't do it..................
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #263
Rivet Master

I'm all for it

Though I will admit, I was fully “against” the last MOHO go round back at Perry, GA. Things have changed for me over the past week or so. Due to the some of the membership on the Revision Committee and its supporters saying I’m a naysayer, don’t support the WBCCI, troublemaker, etc… I decided, I would support whatever the next “Special Committee” report was regardless of what it was and it just so happens to be the MOHO issue.

Though in my heart I’m “against” it, I feel a need to prove to the Revision Committee that I too, like them, want what’s best for the club and support the Special Committee’s created by the WBCCI IBT/EC7 regardless of what it maybe. What makes this Revision Special Committee any different or better than the MOHO Committee and the wants and desires of they feel are best for the club.

Signing on to this new way of thinking, I also decided it would be best not to limit the WBCCI potential membership pool to only “THOR” but should be opened up to “ALL” MOHO manufactures. Think about it, this opens up the WBCCI to hundreds of thousands of potential members that I’m sure is just chomping at the bit to join the club.

If we had listened to all the Special Committee’s suggestions, I’m sure the WBCCI would now be a club called “Airstream Owners Association International” with many Mandalay MOHO’s as members and the membership numbers of the club up to around 10,000 or more based on what the Special Committee felt would happen.

We must not think of our own wishes and that for some the WBCCI is about “Airstreams”. Remember, Wally’s first caravans included trailers from different manufactures. At heart, “we are” a caravan club and it’s now time to return to our roots, embrace other manufactures and get this club back to the great club it once was.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #264
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
best for the club.

Signing on to this new way of thinking, I also decided it would be best not to limit the WBCCI potential membership pool to only “THOR” but should be opened up to “ALL” MOHO manufactures. Think about it, this opens up the WBCCI to hundreds of thousands of potential members that I’m sure is just chomping at the bit to join the club.

:
Perhaps while implimenting this forward thinking change we should also tackle the name change thing again.

I suggest we call it theGOOD WALLY club
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #265
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Personally, I think we're treating this thing in a far too principled way: Either change the fundamental nature of the club, or not. And I'm completely against a principled, fundamental change to the nature of the club.

But, you know, there's nothing wrong with a non-principled, ad-hoc solution to a problem that appears to need one. Suppose this one: Because of the change at the plant, people who are currently Airstream motorhome owners, who are current WBCCI members, and who wish to continue their membership can petition the IBT to allow their memberships to continue even while owning not an Airstream motorhome, but a Thor motorhome. (You can add additional restrictions, as desired: No leadership positions; have to have been in the club for X years; have to have owned their Airstream for X years; whatever.)

Well, duh. This kind of ad-hoc solution pretty much eliminates the possibility of giving membership to any old body with a white-sided motorhome while allowing those dwindling few who meet the criteria to continue.

So while I'm fundamentally against the idea of a principled change to the club, opening it up to non-Airstream owners, I can also see the problem that the recent change in factory policy has created for a few of our members. The least we can do is to help just those folks out with a temporary, ad-hoc measure.

Lynn
Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #266
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Lets see if this plays out.

Ford Mustang owners joining an exclusive Corvette club.

Honda motorcycle club member joining an exclusive Harley Davidson club.

I don't think so.......

Airstream is an American icon I don't see how mixing it up with SOB's will benefit that image.

Tags
wbcci