Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #481
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
We are not against change, we are just against THIS proposed change.

Again, not everyone against this motion is a "naysayer". I see no way that this motion can cause a positive outcome. I personally know people (including Airstream Motorhome owners) that quit the club last time this was put to a vote.

If this motion passes this time, as I have already stated, far more AIRSTREAM owners will quit the club than MOTORHOME owners will be retained. This is not being a naysayer. It is my honest opinion. I positively believe the best choice for this club is to retain it's single brand identity. This club has one unique marketable trait and that is it AIRSTREAM only identity. Lose that and the club decline will accelerate.

By the way, many club members who are NOT supportive of this motion do more than sit on the sidelines and comment. They are active at the Unit and Intraclub levels,

To all of the above I firmly agree. As to the loss of membership in trailers vs. MoHo's, it will be devastating to this club. The WBCCI will become witness to the last several years of the Holiday Rambler Club.

Yes, I am still working on it.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #482
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
The Holiday rambler club today is still around and it appears they actually do a good job of involving membership. The largest attended International rally for them was in 1977 with 2,200 units. The club today is mainly MoHo's and is relaltively small compared to the WBCCI. On further research I find that they are having thier international rallies in many of the same locations as the WBCCI, and the price for thier DuQuoin rally coming up is $309.00 for 2 people in one unit for up to 9 days 30Amp.

I correct my myself in my previous post and I apologize for not doing my research. The HRRVC actually encourages non-members to show up at thier international rallies and they state that you "Do not need to be a member to attend".

Yes, I am still working on it.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #483
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Dave, what does Holiday Rambler offer their members at their rallies as compared to WBCCI?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #484
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Check it out.

Holiday Rambler RV Club - Holiday Rambler

Doh! picked up the wrong lap top again.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #485
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
TRULY BAD NEWS FOR THE WALLY BYAM CARAVAN CLUB,
"A proposed Amendment concerning the Motor Home Issue was passed by the IBT and will go before the Delegates in 2012. The Amendment was a compromise over the motor home issue that will allow CURRENT WBCCI members in good standing to be able to purchase a Class A motor home manufactured by Thor Industries, Inc. and retain full membership in the Club. (the Amendment does NOT allow any current or new Thor Industries, Inc. motor home owners into the Club except for current WBCCI members who purchase a Thor motor home).
I believe the amendment will allow only "Life Members in good standing" to purchase a Class A motor home manufactured by Thor. Not "Current WBCCI" members."

As posted on Facebook by Dale Schwamborn.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #486
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Kind of slim pickin's for $50 per year, but maybe I read their offerings incorrectly.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Check it out.

Holiday Rambler RV Club - Holiday Rambler

Doh! picked up the wrong lap top again.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #487
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
what I see happening

The motion will go to the units for vote

The units will vote and instruct their delegate, Often to use there best judgement on changes.

Since the change as written seems kind of safe being it only affects life members there is a slim possibility it could pass the units.

Then IF the IBT can slice and dice a constitutional change (maybe they can't) like they do a bylaw it will go before the delegates in a more all inclusive form.

The only safe answer to preserve the club is to vote NO on any change that would allow other brands
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #488
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post

Since the change as written seems kind of safe being it only affects life members there is a slim possibility it could pass the units.

The only safe answer to preserve the club is to vote NO on any change that would allow other brands
There is clearly a Call To Arms here. This motions has been tailored to attract the most approval from the general membership. I use the term general membership not as to describe Mr C's Mere Membership but rather those members that tend to be more apathetic towards the governance of the Club. It is expected, by the Leadership, that those members will just slough off this more innocent current move to infiltrate the Club and will allow it to pass.

The Call to Arms is those of us posting here that are still members of the Club have got to begin to campaign as a single group to defeat this motion.

There has been a long and divided discussion on the Revision Committees work, and that discussion will continue, but that should not preclude the singular effort necessary to defeating this motion.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #489
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Since the "constitutional revision" has been pushed off till the 2012 delegates meeting, it only makes sense for someone at the delegates meeting to move to incorporate the proposed motor home amendment into the appropriate section of the proposed new constitution.

Then it will only need a simple majority to be incorporated in the revised constitution, rather than the 2/3 majority required of a stand-alone amendment.

At that point the motor home faction can tout all the advantages (whatever they may be) of the "new, improved" constitution to encourage passing it with a 2/3 vote, while overlooking that minor little business about allowing other brand RVs into the club.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #490
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
As I read your post there is a conflict in the use of the term 2/3.

If I understand the intent your are saying the Revised Constitution only requires a simple majority to pass where as an amendment requires a 2/3 majority.

Not that I would suggest allowing the MH issue to pass under any condition or form as it will not end with that.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #491
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If I understand the intent your are saying the Revised Constitution only requires a simple majority to pass where as an amendment requires a 2/3 majority.
As long as the proposed new constitution is being debated by the delegates it only takes a majority to amend it. Then the proposed constitution has to have a 2/3 majority vote to be adopted.

If the motor home faction manages to incorporate their amendment into the proposed new constitution it will pose a dilemma for long-time advocates of the proposed new constitution who oppose the opening the club to other brands.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #492
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Lets hope they are not that smart and the Delegates are that dumb.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #493
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Well, they were just told how to do it.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Lets hope they are not that smart and the Delegates are that dumb.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #494
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
VOTE NO! As many times as it takes to stop this arbitrary change of the club charter!
NO AIRSTREAM! NO MEMBERSHIP! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of other organizations and venues that will allow motor home owners of other brands to gather together! You have to ask yourself this question. If you have enough money to own a Motor home, what is so damn important about a $500 dollar lifetime membership? Are you afraid you’re going to lose the value of 2 tanks full of fuel if you can no longer attend WBCCI events because you bought an SOB? Are you not willing to buy a new Airstream product because you feel they are inferior to the product of YOUR choosing? Are your WBCCI Friends going to ignore you because you are no longer a member in good standing? If they do they weren't your friends to begin with!

This whole argument stinks to high heaven. It’s all about rolling with the affluent set. You see, the real reason for wanting a motor home is so you can look down upon your subjects and feel superior because you have the means in your retirement to show off your hard work or good fortune. It’s not about camping with friends it’s about one ups-man-ship and keeping up with the Jones's. It’s about that display of fine fabrics and dinner at posh restaurants and places to be seen. Just the act of a motor home as it travels down the road says bluster, "PARDONE ME"!!! You get the picture, it’s the same one we see in Washington or Hollywood. It is all about ME.

To be fair to those who have spent a great deal of money, possibly more than they can really afford, to buy a motor home because they like the room it has to offer, and your really down to earth and want to mingle with trailerites I say, that is great, it's your right and privilege but if it’s not an Airstream, we'll see you down the road after the Airstream Rally!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #495
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Now I feel depressed because I'm a nobody! No title, no membership, no fees, no ribbons.
I just like visiting and travel, but not debating a subject as annoying as this ongoing subject.
The time limit rule should be applied to this. Once voted down, it should not be allowed to be brought up again for 20 years. (I should have no interest by then)
Because of the bitterness created/dispayed by this debate, you will never see me at any AIRSTREAM RALLY.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam52 View Post
VOTE NO! As many times as it takes to stop this arbitrary change of the club charter!
NO AIRSTREAM! NO MEMBERSHIP! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of other organizations and venues that will allow motor home owners of other brands to gather together! You have to ask yourself this question. If you have enough money to own a Motor home, what is so damn important about a $500 dollar lifetime membership? Are you afraid you’re going to lose the value of 2 tanks full of fuel if you can no longer attend WBCCI events because you bought an SOB? Are you not willing to buy a new Airstream product because you feel they are inferior to the product of YOUR choosing? Are your WBCCI Friends going to ignore you because you are no longer a member in good standing? If they do they weren't your friends to begin with!

This whole argument stinks to high heaven. It’s all about rolling with the affluent set. You see, the real reason for wanting a motor home is so you can look down upon your subjects and feel superior because you have the means in your retirement to show off your hard work or good fortune. It’s not about camping with friends it’s about one ups-man-ship and keeping up with the Jones's. It’s about that display of fine fabrics and dinner at posh restaurants and places to be seen. Just the act of a motor home as it travels down the road says bluster, "PARDONE ME"!!! You get the picture, it’s the same one we see in Washington or Hollywood. It is all about ME.

To be fair to those who have spent a great deal of money, possibly more than they can really afford, to buy a motor home because they like the room it has to offer, and your really down to earth and want to mingle with trailerites I say, that is great, it's your right and privilege but if it’s not an Airstream, we'll see you down the road after the Airstream Rally!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #496
Rivet Master

You are close, but wrong view!

WAM:

"You see, the real reason for wanting a motor home is so you can look down upon your subjects and feel superior because you have the means in your retirement to show off your hard work or good fortune"

Wayne, you are getting close to the reason, but you view is a little off. It's not about them looking down on the WBCCI "Trailer Members".

It's really about their friends "outside" of the WBCCI within the FMCA group looking down upon "them" is the real reason why they want to allow other types of motorhomes in the club. Think about it, currently they are a big fish in a small pond which makes them feel good. But when they play with their other friends "outside" the WBCCI they are looked down upon as having the "Old Motorhome" with only one slideout, insides that are out of date, etc....

So in an effort to have the best of both worlds, gotta allow other types of motorhomes in the club. Even if they leave the club, get the new motorhome, they will still be a small fish in the FMCA pond because in that pond you have the big $$$ Prevost. The best they can hope for is to get the new motorhome to where they are not looked down at "as much" as they are now, but almost an equal in the FMCA and the big dogs in the WBCCI.

At this point I say LET THEM IN NOW and everyone fighting this thing put that same effort into creating caravans, rallies, etc... "OUTSIDE" the WBCCI like we did with the Rt. 11 Caravan this year and will be doing again next year with another historic route caravan across the Lincoln Highway!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #497
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Because of the bitterness created/dispayed by this debate, you will never see me at any AIRSTREAM RALLY.
Dave
Dave, there are plenty of Airstream rallies promoted by other groups through the Forum where you don't have to talk about the WBCCI.

Gene
Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #498
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Paul, I think you and WAM are both right. Some people who are oversensitive to their standing in life want someone to look down on and are worried that someone is looking down on them. They are never happy with what they have and never will be.

They cannot be content to be in a community where everyone is equal.

Gene
Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #499
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Dave, there are plenty of Airstream rallies promoted by other groups through the Forum where you don't have to talk about the WBCCI.
Gene
And, I might add, there are gobs of WBCCI rallies where this stuff is hardly the topic of conversation around the campfire.

Lynn
Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #500
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
You guys have hit the nail on the head.

It's like the IP at the Madison rally who had "Airstream 1" logo on the side of his motorhome. Such arrogance !!!

He thought that he was important but he was just a little man. He's a legend in his own mind.

I have no respect for the position of president of the WBCCI because of what the IP's, over the last twenty years, have done to the club degrading the position.

The club would be better off splitting in two - trailers as one club and motorhomes as another. The treasury could be slit on a ratio basis as to membership.

But this will not happen because of their arrogance they would rather see the club die than do what is best for the general membership.
Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci