Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think it is very nice that you still offer the discount. I think the directory dropped off 16 or 25 pages or some such crazy amount when they decided to do that to save printing cost and generate revenue. They lost benefits for the members in their quest for revenue and greed. Members are who suffer through that decision, and campground owners. And now there are less campgrounds willing or able to extend the discount and to pay the cost of listing in addition to that. I think it is outrageous to charge someone who is basically doing you a favor. That just shouldn't work that way. As a member I think supporting businesses should be rewarded and not taxed to make their generosity available to WBCCI. And let's face it what company thinks the endorsement of WBCCI can be a feather in their cap? It is a kindness you extend to us and we thank you Lynn.

Everything is in jeopardy to be cut short of spending less. Most of us know too well that in today's economy, changes must be made from the habits and spending of afore, but the judicious exercise of discernment seems to have escaped the ones making these decisions upon our behalf and seems to be centered upon their own benefit with little consideration given to the average club member and their value received from their membership dues.

photography
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #442
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Back when they had a huge number of parks listed that offered discounts, it was goofy, IMHO. We went on a trip back then and selected parks that were listed in the directory. Not a single one of them even knew what we were talking about when we asked for the WBCCI discount. (Kind of embarrassing moments, I can assure you.)

My suspicion is that nobody had bothered for quite some time to go through the directory and find out which parks still offered a discount. In the meantime, parks changed ownership/management, and the whole business was forgotten. But the listing in the directory continued.

A friend of ours and I tried to get something new going with WBCCI discounts several years ago, but we got nowhere with it. So we gave up.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I think it is very nice that you still offer the discount I think the directory dropped off 16 pages or some such crazy amount when they decided to do that. members are who suffer through that decision with less campgrounds willing to pay the cost to offer a discount to Airstream owners. That just shouldn't work that way. As a member I think supporting businesses should be rewarded and not taxed to make their generosity available to WBCCI.

Everything is in jeopardy to be cut short of spending less. Most of us know too well that in today's economy, changes must be made from the habits and spending of afore.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #443
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
OK, the campground ads in the WBCCI directory aren't "free" and the campground does pay for their ad in each year's directory. If a campground wasn't aware that they offered a discount to WBCCI or Airstream, it's their fault. An ad for a campground won't show up in the directory unless it's paid for. Check several years back directories and you'll see plenty of changes. The Trailer Life directory works pretty much the same way. A privately owned campground must pay for their listing in the directory as well as to participate in the Good Sam discount program.

As a former RV accessories vendor, I've attended Holiday Rambler RV Club rallies, Newmar Kountry Klub rallies, FMCA rallies, as well as WBCCI rallies. I travel to their rallies and stay at their rallies in my Airstream trailer. All of the people that I've met at these rallies are genuinely fine folks, irrespective of their choice of brand of RV to use. Holiday Rambler and Newmar both manufacture towables and motorized RV's. I have sought out several of their members and asked about conflicts between towable owners and motorized RV owners. They quickly reply that they don't have any and their objective is to enjoy the social interactions among their members regardless of what type of RV they use.

What's to be gained by continuous squabbling about trailer vs. motorhome? Nothing positive. Get over it. It's about the people and not about their RV brand. I've been parked at FMCA rallies next to a big Prevost coach one one side and a Newmar Mountain Aire 5th wheel trailer on the other side. I have enjoyed talking to both of their owners and answering their questions about my Airstream trailer.

As long as I own an Airstream trailer, I will belong to WBCCI even if changes allow some Thor brands to belong. As I said above, it's about the people and not about their brand of RV. Heck, I might just happen to learn something I could use from someone driving a Thor brand motorcoach.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #444
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
jwgreen,

I disagree, the WBCCI is a single brand RV club not a multi brand RV club. People join to enjoy and share experiences with Airstreams. I agree with your statements on the type of people involved with RVs but not your opinion on the WBCCI.

See Post 22 in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...i-75729-2.html

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgreen View Post
OK, the campground ads in the WBCCI directory aren't "free" and the campground does pay for their ad in each year's directory. If a campground wasn't aware that they offered a discount to WBCCI or Airstream, it's their fault. An ad for a campground won't show up in the directory unless it's paid for. Check several years back directories and you'll see plenty of changes. The Trailer Life directory works pretty much the same way. A privately owned campground must pay for their listing in the directory as well as to participate in the Good Sam discount program.

As a former RV accessories vendor, I've attended Holiday Rambler RV Club rallies, Newmar Kountry Klub rallies, FMCA rallies, as well as WBCCI rallies. I travel to their rallies and stay at their rallies in my Airstream trailer. All of the people that I've met at these rallies are genuinely fine folks, irrespective of their choice of brand of RV to use. Holiday Rambler and Newmar both manufacture towables and motorized RV's. I have sought out several of their members and asked about conflicts between towable owners and motorized RV owners. They quickly reply that they don't have any and their objective is to enjoy the social interactions among their members regardless of what type of RV they use.

What's to be gained by continuous squabbling about trailer vs. motorhome? Nothing positive. Get over it. It's about the people and not about their RV brand. I've been parked at FMCA rallies next to a big Prevost coach one one side and a Newmar Mountain Aire 5th wheel trailer on the other side. I have enjoyed talking to both of their owners and answering their questions about my Airstream trailer.

As long as I own an Airstream trailer, I will belong to WBCCI even if changes allow some Thor brands to belong. As I said above, it's about the people and not about their brand of RV. Heck, I might just happen to learn something I could use from someone driving a Thor brand motorcoach.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #445
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Actually, the campground pays nothing for the simple listing in Woodall's or Trailer Life. It's only if one decides to buy a separate advertisement that payment is involved. Advertisements appear on or near the page that contains the simple listing.

Some years ago, those campgrounds that offered discounts to members of the WBCCI were also listed for free in the WBCCI book. Again, these were just simple listings by state, basically just name of business, location, tele number, and amount of discount. That has all disappeared, and now it's all about selling advertisements, really whether or not a discount is involved.

Lynn

Quote:
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #446
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
With respect to Kerfoot et al, this concerns CHANGE. If you don't want change (as in membership eligibility), then you regard tradition and maintenance of the status quo as you highest priority and act accordingly. While doing so, you denigrate anyone who's opinion or desire for change is different from yours and support your position with endless tirades about future gloom and doom should a change be implemented that's contrary to your views (or opinions). If you were a buggy whip manufacturer back in the early 1900's, you'd act in the same way when you hear that horseless carriages might be coming soon.

On the other hand, it is possible to embrace change that can produce a positive outcome. That would require some creativity or even innovative thinking, a behavior that would not be consistent with being a naysayer. It requires more work than just sitting on the side and making frequent and repetitive unkind remarks about officers wardrobes and other traditions. Where's the benefit to improve the club when the remarks are meant to ridicule while containing nothing of a suggestion on how to improved. It's easy to be a critic but it takes work to be innovative and creative.

My WBCCI membership should not be construed to mean approval in all the actions taking place at international. I do, however, understand that my views can be heard and if not used or implemented, I'll accept it.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #447
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
I was a commercial member of FMCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
As a Commercial Vendor I an sure you had no problem parking next to a Prevost at a FMCA rally. However do you honestly think you could have applied for membership in the FMCA with your Airstream.

In order to be a vendor at an FMCA rally, I had to join FMCA as a commercial member. My number was C11128. They gladly accepted my $50 annual fee even though I owned a towable RV, not a motorcoach. FMCA members were some of my best customers.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #448
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
In order to be a vendor at an FMCA rally, I had to join FMCA as a commercial member. My number was C11128. They gladly accepted my $50 annual fee even though I owned a towable RV, not a motorcoach. FMCA members were some of my best customers.
An interesting comment that FMCA has a membership available for none coach owners. I would be interested in what restrictions if any that membership carries, hold office for instance.

Some have commented that reaction to change is counter production. Historically the leadership of the WBCCI has been the group that has most vehemently opposed change if it in any way threatened the strangle hold they have on the purse strings. The membership has attempted changes that would improve the quality of membership only to be confronted by the suppression that your are out of order or publicly humiliated before the general membership.

There is a difference between change and the fundamental redirection of the Club by allow a dozen or so special privileges. I doubt you would hear comments from the membership if the leadership commenced an effort to enlist the membership and EXPAND the Club with the thousands of Airstream owners represented in this Forum.

Our Club could well sustain itself well into the future if the membership were to double or triple in size via those who already own Airstreams rather than try to convince us that the loss of the few that want to parade around in the biggest box they can find as our salvation

Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #449
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
With respect to Kerfoot et al, this concerns CHANGE. If you don't want change (as in membership eligibility), then you regard tradition and maintenance of the status quo as you highest priority and act accordingly. While doing so, you denigrate anyone who's opinion or desire for change is different from yours and support your position with endless tirades about future gloom and doom should a change be implemented that's contrary to your views (or opinions). If you were a buggy whip manufacturer back in the early 1900's, you'd act in the same way when you hear that horseless carriages might be coming soon.

On the other hand, it is possible to embrace change that can produce a positive outcome. That would require some creativity or even innovative thinking, a behavior that would not be consistent with being a naysayer. It requires more work than just sitting on the side and making frequent and repetitive unkind remarks about officers wardrobes and other traditions. Where's the benefit to improve the club when the remarks are meant to ridicule while containing nothing of a suggestion on how to improved. It's easy to be a critic but it takes work to be innovative and creative.

My WBCCI membership should not be construed to mean approval in all the actions taking place at international. I do, however, understand that my views can be heard and if not used or implemented, I'll accept it.
jw,

Your argument, while you have every right to express it, sorely missed the point. WBCCI is a single brand RV club! It is NOT FMCA, Good Sam, Escapees or any other multi-brand organization. The club's focus is on AIRSTREAM manufactured RVs and should remain there. There are many other venues available for those who want to join multi-brand organizations.

I have been a member of WBCCI and left when it became apparent that those at the top were running the club as their own private fiefdom. The comments about 'mere members' by a PIP said it all for me! I am also a member of FMCA (both personal and commercial), Foretravel Motorcade Club, Beaver Motorhome Club and commercial affiliate for several others.

Let me say emphatically that neither the Foretravel club nor the Beaver club would ever consider allowing ANY OTHER BRAND OF RV INTO THEIR SINGLE BRANDED CLUBS. This is NOT what they are about and their members know that there will be no 'special circumstances' put into play if they decide to buy another brand of RV. The WBCCI should take the hint and remain the oldest single brand RV club in the US!

This is NOT about nay-saying. It is a desire to maintain the integrity of THE OLDEST SINGLE BRAND RV CLUB in the US. Buy an Airstream or join another club. There are many other choices!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #450
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk View Post
We have belonged to the FMCA for many years with our Airstream and been to their Rallys. Nice bunch of people.
I think the context of HowieE's post is in regard to Airstream travel trailers, not Airstream Motorhomes. Your post and another make it sound as though FMCA welcomes trailers when they don't. To quote from their website: "Family Motor Coach Association is the world's largest motorhome owner's club. Our RV club is dedicated to helping motor coach owners to enjoy the motorhoming lifestyle to its fullest. If you’re passionate about motor homes and motorhoming, you should join FMCA."

I'm sure that FMCA is a great organization, full of wonderful people, but it is a motorhome group. The WBCCI started entirely as an Airstream trailer club, dedicated to trailers, run by trailer owners concerned with trailer issues. It reached its zenith as a trailer club. It's richly ironic that has changed and that motorhome owners are changing the club to suit their needs and not the needs of trailerists.

There is a difference between a motorhome lifestyle and a trailering lifestyle. If that difference were not significant then FMCA membership would be open to trailerists (and not just commercial vendors who own a trailer).
Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #451
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
jwgreen,

The change which needs to occur is to make the WBCCI more welcoming to Airstream owners, not add types of RVs to the eligibility. Airstream continues to sell units every year, yet the WBCCI is declining in membership every year, why?

Bill

Quote:

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #452
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
I don't see being a commercial FMCA member as being the same as a regular FMCA member.

I too have attended several FMCA rallies as a commercial Vendor and stayed on the grounds with my Airstream trailer through the courtesy of the FMCA folks.. The last one being at DuQuion in the mid 70's where they issued member number 10,000

Nice folks and they treated me well.
I suspect if I try to join as a regular member with a towable they will not take my money.

I do not see the Moho issue as a people issue at all, Over the years there has been debate about letting motorhomes, Argosy, B van etc. into the club and I have supported all of those.
The common thread is they are all AIRSTREAM products. Owning an Airstream is the price of admission and it should stay that way.

Overall the folks on this forum are far more supportive of change in the club than the overall membership.

I suspect though that few favor the MOHO change.

Enough on that subject.
I will now go install the little wings on the sides of my Globetrotter and see if I can join the Shasta club
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #453
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
"What's to be gained by continuous squabbling about trailer vs. motorhome? Nothing positive. Get over it. It's about the people and not about their RV brand. I've been parked at FMCA rallies next to a big Prevost coach one one side and a Newmar Mountain Aire 5th wheel trailer on the other side. I have enjoyed talking to both of their owners and answering their questions about my Airstream trailer."

it appears to me, and maybe others, that the reason some people are pushing to allow non-AS's in, is less a feeling of all inclusiveness and more an issue of personal comfort and power.

nobody is saying that non-AS folk are any better or worse than others.
what we ARE saying is that if a club loses that which makes it identifiable [ in this case an Airstream heritage ] than it is no longer that club.

Does the Corvette Club think any less of Ford owners?
Does the Mustang Club hate the Chevy owners?
Should your bridge club allow in people who only play poker?

see how silly this all gets?

------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want change ... then you regard tradition and maintenance of the status quo as you highest priority and act accordingly"

there is change and there is CHANGE. going from AS to AS, ETC. is just that. if you don't maintain tradition, is it still a 'club' per the original intent and definition? pprobably not and that's when it time to change the name.

-------------------------------------------------

"If you were a buggy whip manufacturer back in the early 1900's, you'd act in the same way when you hear that horseless carriages might be coming soon."

- Okay, lets say you sold buggy whips and owned a carriage pulled by a full team of 6 horses. you belonged to your local carriage club, part of the national carriage club association [ the n.c.c.a.].

there were older vintage carriages from the early 1800's and some of the new, fangled models from the early 1900's [ darn gas headlamps]. every so often you and others with carriages would pick a spot, gather in a circle and swap stories and lies; advise on the best carriage hitch and how to keep the wheel bearings greased.

as an older member you have prestige, position and influence - a bit of power and you like it.

but along comes those noisy horseless carriages. one day you decide that you are getting a bit older and it's hard to control all those horses. that it much easier driving this 'auto-mobile' thing.

so you sell your rig, buy a car and - what? join other in the new ford car club? no, you still want to hang around the horse crowd and talk about flat tires and fuel injection. and, you want to keep your position of power rather then join the ford club where you are a 'newbie'.

see the issue here?

some say that we have to include non-AS's to replace the departing members. Why? Is there a special minimum number of members for it to be a club. [It only took Alfalfa, Buckwheat, Spanky and Porky to start the He Man Women-Haters Club]

are members departing becuase they can no longer handle an AS or becuase they are fed up with the non-AS silliness?

maybe if this non-AS issue was dealt with [think: reject it] unhappy members would stay and others would join.

the core remaining members would have a tighter, more-AS based outlook and would be better able to effect and affect the real changes that are needed.

Whew, that's enough ranting for a Monday. i need to find my pirate flag; isn't it five o'clock somewhere?
[CENTER][I]
Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #454
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
What would Wally think?

This is how I felt in 2006 and it's how I feel about it today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New dog, old dog (with caption).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	134502  
Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #455
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Enough on that subject.
I will now go install the little wings on the sides of my Globetrotter and see if I can join the Shasta club

Why they oughta give back all their red stars if they don't want an Airstream and of course stripped of their rank. I think all leadership and membership awards should be returned after they are no longer an Airstreamer, and this particular group may even need a dishonorable discharge!

Forrest that is terrific!

photography
Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #456
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Enough on that subject.
Rich

You mention WINGS in the plural. I can't remember when I last say a Shasta with both wings. Then again I can't remember when I last saw a Shasta.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #457
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Rich

You mention WINGS in the plural. I can't remember when I last say a Shasta with both wings. Then again I can't remember when i last saw a Shasta.
It seems I have seen them sitting outside an RV plant on Rt 20 in northern Indiana.

According to this article they are owned by coachman
New, improved Shasta trailer from '50s back in production
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 07-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #458
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The vote is almost a year away. By that time there should be another couple of thousand posts on this thread. I doubt there will be anything new to say.

It seems to me the effort should be to elect people to offices to change the organization and organize those with voting power to vote against the proposal.

Maybe a thread on how to organize to change the WBCCI would be in order.

Gene
Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #459
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
This is how I felt in 2006 and it's how I feel about it today!
Forrest an interesting picture, but somewhat misleading.

As all RVs that frequent Wal Mart as an overnight spot are acutely aware there is a growing problem of the larger MH pulling the dump valve and or setting their trash on the parking lot just before they leave.

While your picture is a joke I don't consider the increasing actions of the MH crowd a joke or an image that RVs should support.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #460
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It seems to me the effort should be to elect people to offices to change the organization and organize those with voting power to vote against the proposal.

Maybe a thread on how to organize to change the WBCCI would be in order.

Gene
Gene

It seams you may have missed the effects of past efforts to elect Individuals that might support the will of the membership.

Also I find it confusing that you, a frequent poster to the action, have so soon forgotten the past years effort to gain Constitutional changes within the Club.

You may not have supported either action but please at least give them historical credit.

Closed Thread

Tags
wbcci