Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #101
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
That doesn't even look like an Interstate.
More like an Airstream Avenue (anybody remember those?) on steroids.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
But, if it is a laminated material, not metal, they have little more than some of the others, and the others are in the $130,000 - 150,000 range.
Agreed. And some of them have been at it for a long while and produce coaches of excellent quality, on par IMO with Airstream (I'm thinking of Leisure Travel Van's Unity and Serenity models....when I looked at them I was very impressed with the fit/finish/materials). If I were in the market for a coach of that size I'd probably buy the LTV, which is in the price range you stated, vs. risking 30% more money on a first year effort from AS....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #103
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
That doesn't even look like an Interstate.

Agreed. It looks quite ugly IMHO.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Looks more like a blood mobile.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
It has the model name "Atlas" on it, not Interstate. Have a couple other views, including both in same photo for comparison, but they won't post for some reason.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #106

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender View Post
It has the model name "Atlas" on it, not Interstate. Have a couple other views, including both in same photo for comparison, but they won't post for some reason.
Just as well that they abandoned the B-van naming theme (Avenue, Parkway, Interstate) for the new model, since it's a Class C-minus, not a B (they only call them B-plus because it sounds better, but it's really a C with the over-cab bed deleted, so C-minus).
Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender View Post
Actually, those are pics of two different coaches. One says "ATLAS", the other says "INTERSTATE" along the bottom of the driver's door. Also, the ATLAS coach has what appears to be a single small round vent on the side (Truma??), while the INTERSTATE coach has nothing.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Atlas vs Interstate.....
Yes, you are correct badged differently.
I was told, by a friend who took the pictures at the factory, that there were 3 of them, all silver, sitting there labeled Pro 1, 2 and 3. So, I figured that means the final decisions as to what exactly it will look like or what it will be called have not been made.
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Looks more like a blood mobile.
Actually, I was thinking pee mobile. Every time we'd see one of those pulling into my previous employer's parking lot, we'd be like, "Uh-oh, time to pee in the bottle again." My previous employer was very small, and rather than risk a discrimination claim, every single member of the company would be "randomly" chosen for drug testing on the same day (the stoners had argued previously that they were being singled out).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
One thought I have is, that when they bring this to the market, it may initially have a tendency to reduce the prices on previously owned Interstates.... And, this could make the attractiveness of the Interstate even higher, at least to me.

One of the nice things is, I can be very grateful for what I currently have, should be able to make a transition to an interstate or Atlas, or whatever easy over the next few years. No rush. And, the help from all on the forum is really nice.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #111

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
One thought I have is, that when they bring this to the market, it may initially have a tendency to reduce the prices on previously owned Interstates.... And, this could make the attractiveness of the Interstate even higher, at least to me.
It's usually difficult to even find used Interstates for sale, let alone at a rate below the depreciated value. The introduction of a new model— particularly a Class C-minus (don't dare call that ugly thing a B-plus!) probably will have no effect whatsoever on the demand for Class B Interstate van conversions.

One part of the appeal of an Interstate is the "accepted anywhere" factor. With the exception of the awning, an Interstate can easily be mistaken for an executive limousine— and in fact I'm told that Hard Rock Café even bought some black Interstates to use as limos! The fact that it's looks allow it to find acceptance even in gated communities is one reason I own an Interstate, so I can store it at home rather than using up my camping budget to rent storage for it.

The new Airstream Class C-minus can't be mistaken for anything but what it is, and is unlikely to find anywhere near the broad appeal of an Interstate among the non-RVers and non-Airstreamers that we all have to deal with.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #112
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One part of the appeal of an Interstate is the "accepted anywhere" factor. With the exception of the awning, an Interstate can easily be mistaken for an executive limousine

Funny you should say that. Over Labor Day weekend we took a road trip to Dallas to see U2 and stayed at a nice resort hotel. On the evening of the concert I went and pulled the Interstate around to the front entrance to pick up my family. They hadn't quite gotten there yet, but as soon as I stopped a woman I did not know opened the slider, got in and sat down in my second row captains chair! After seeing my face she said "this is the private shuttle to the stadium, correct?" Hilarious!
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Funny you should say that. Over Labor Day weekend we took a road trip to Dallas to see U2 and stayed at a nice resort hotel. On the evening of the concert I went and pulled the Interstate around to the front entrance to pick up my family. They hadn't quite gotten there yet, but as soon as I stopped a woman I did not know opened the slider, got in and sat down in my second row captains chair! After seeing my face she said "this is the private shuttle to the stadium, correct?" Hilarious!
So Funny! I had similar incident once but was just asked by someone at a Metro train stop if I was the hotel shuttle.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #114

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Keep in mind that we don't have any verification where these pictures were taken, nor if they truly are an Airstream product. I remember that there was an Airstream custom build shop that was across the street from the plant/service center. From there custom order vehicles were built. If those pictures were taken in JC this may be build to order vehicles coming from that custom facility?
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
The photos were taken by a friend at JC. They had labels of "Proto 1", etc.

I tend to agree with the opinion that once one widens out the body, it becomes just another RV. If the wider AS has an aluminum or other metal body, then it becomes a standout in this class.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Check the photos and STORY of the CAPE COD by Grand Coach a new builder that has purchased a number of brand names in the new issue 09/17 of Motor Home a Good Sam/ publication. Sounds like they are copying Interstates and expecting to have better quality control, with different models (names) to choose from in the future. Probably all based on Sprinter chassis of current year. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #117
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
Check the photos and STORY of the CAPE COD by Grand Coach a new builder that has purchased a number of brand names in the new issue 09/17 of Motor Home a Good Sam/ publication. Sounds like they are copying Interstates and expecting to have better quality control, with different models (names) to choose from in the future. Probably all based on Sprinter chassis of current year. AEW
Will be interesting to see what their pricing is. And I really hope they are full custom builds so you're not stuck with the interior and exterior colors and textures they show on their galleries.....yikes!

Lots of smaller volume builders out there (Advanced RV, Coach House, Great West, etc) if you're willing to pay their price......
Old 08-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Having looked at several variations on the Sprinter chassis, I think, having had a motorhome in the past, what I am looking for is something with one slide, maybe two if absolutely needed, but a nice shower and adequate fresh water for about five to seven days, all this in a body width of less than 7 feet.

I am quite doubtful this will emerge from Airstream, although I have been told by a factory contact to please wait before going out of the family.

And, it may be that I have become so spoiled by the huge amount of space in my 30 footer, no Sprinter based RV will fit my needs. Or, maybe what I need is the Interstate in addition to my Serenity.... Mmmmm....
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #119

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Or, maybe what I need is the Interstate in addition to my Serenity.... Mmmmm....
I know of someone who tows a 23' Airstream trailer with an Airstream Interstate. And another who tows a 19' Airstream trailer with a Roadtrek. The trailers tow very well tucked in behind a van that's almost as tall as the trailer.

You can get around the one-RV-hookup-per-campsite rule by plugging the trailer's shore power into the Interstate's exterior 15-amp outlet, and plugging the Interstate's shore power cable into the service pedestal.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Then you would have a two bedroom, two bath home!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote