Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I have tried to talk my wife into an Interstate, but every time we have looked at them - and their competitors - at RV shows, she just insists that they are too small for us (even though we too are pretty small!).
Proof that you should never believe any woman who says size doesn't matter— bigger is always better! That's true of RVs, diamonds, bank accounts, and other things.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Proof that you should never believe any woman who says size doesn't matter— bigger is always better! That's true of RVs, diamonds, bank accounts, and other things.

Haha!

Probably right!

I just have always had a fascination with compact things that are well made, do what they are supposed to do, and have everything you really need in small space!

I guess it is for the same reason that I have a bit of a fascination with side arms, although I have an aversion to killing things - and the Mrs would never have one in the house anyway - even if we were allowed up here where we live!

But to me, they are another perfect example of a small purpose made precision item!

Motorcycles are good in that respect too! I am allowed one of those!

I was very happy with our little VW Westphalia camper that seemed big enough for my wife and I and two daughters oh so many years ago!

What happened that we now must have a 31 ft of trailer for just the two of us!!??

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Size?

Quote:
Mmmm, maybe this is why at one time I "needed" a 44' Moho, all for myself. Thanks, Protagonist

SBU Muscle Shoals 08.28.2013-7 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

I saw a reference to the Polaris Slingshot, which is IMO nothing even resembling a motorcycle, but with a car engine/transmission, side by side seating, and not spectacular performance, I believe the Can Am Spyder where the rider is in the wind, this is what every older rider can find fun.

As I am only giving the Interstate consideration, but want to stick with thew AS line to maintain presence in WBCCI, I have lots of time to think about all this.

Great input by everyone.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #24
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Well, since time is on your side, you'll also be able to chose from the new models that are supposedly headed our way later this year. If you need a little more room than a straight Sprinter, maybe that new Sprinter-based C-class that's been all the rumor would be just the ticket.

Bottom line, it's your life and your money, go have fun with both of them! We look forward to reading about your further adventures, in any case.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
New Sprinter Based RV?

So, where does one get info on this new one from Airstream?
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #26
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Well, this is where I first saw that rumor: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...me-151976.html

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
An Interstate would be cool as a family car/daily driver.
Drive it to work or shopping or visiting people who generally don't have groceries-
Have a kitchen and bathroom with you everywhere you go-
Take your lunch break at work in it-
It gets 19 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
New moho

If AS brings out a new moho based upon a small truck chassis, it would need a couple years of debugging before purchase. Also, if the Interstate is priced at about $160,000 with options, the new moho most likely would be higher.

I think it will be interesting to see what AS does with the Nest Caravan, maybe this will be the $35,000 AS many folks are waiting for.

Anyway, for the next year I will continue in my current AS, happy with the latest modifications. (I have moved the base attachment point out into the room about 6" so I can use the recliner without detaching from the base locking plate on the floor.)
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #29

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
If AS brings out a new moho based upon a small truck chassis, it would need a couple years of debugging before purchase.
RVs are kind of like Microsoft products— they're no good at all until at least Version 3.0… And just like Microsoft products, the RV consumers are used as unpaid beta-testers! At least the RV industry hasn't quite reached the point where they call bugs and glitches "features."
Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
Mmmm, maybe this is why at one time I "needed" a 44' Moho, all for myself. Thanks, Protagonist

SBU Muscle Shoals 08.28.2013-7 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

I saw a reference to the Polaris Slingshot, which is IMO nothing even resembling a motorcycle, but with a car engine/transmission, side by side seating, and not spectacular performance, I believe the Can Am Spyder where the rider is in the wind, this is what every older rider can find fun.

As I am only giving the Interstate consideration, but want to stick with thew AS line to maintain presence in WBCCI, I have lots of time to think about all this.

Great input by everyone.
In a way the Polaris Slingshot looks kinda cool. In another way it looks cheap and plastic. It is just a GM drive train- 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed transmission- driven the same way you drive a car- steering wheel, foot clutch, foot brake, foot throttle, stick shift- not a bike- Since it is really a car there is probably no requirement for a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license to operate a Slingshot.
Although the Can-Am Spyder is ridden like a motorcycle, I still think there is too much plastic going on. It just isn't for me, but still cook in a way. I would like to ride one sometime just to see how it is. You probably do have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license to operate a Spyder since it is ridden like a bike I assume- handlebar, hand clutch, foot shift, hand and right foot brake...
If I ever feel the need for a three wheeler or trike I will get a matching side car for my Road King- same fender, light, wheel, tire, chrome trim, pin strip... Part of me thinks side cars are cool and old school, retro, art deco... Like the bike itself- basic design/style began in the 30's, like Airstream trailers.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
An Interstate would be cool as a family car/daily driver.
Drive it to work or shopping or visiting people who generally don't have groceries-
Have a kitchen and bathroom with you everywhere you go-
Take your lunch break at work in it-
It gets 19 mpg.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
That's exactly how I used ours. Took one long trip out to Arizona, was like camping in a 16 footer.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
In a way the Polaris Slingshot looks kinda cool. In another way it looks cheap and plastic. It is just a GM drive train- 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed transmission- driven the same way you drive a car- steering wheel, foot clutch, foot brake, foot throttle, stick shift- not a bike- Since it is really a car there is probably no requirement for a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license to operate a Slingshot.
Although the Can-Am Spyder is ridden like a motorcycle, I still think there is too much plastic going on. It just isn't for me, but still cook in a way. I would like to ride one sometime just to see how it is. You probably do have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license to operate a Spyder since it is ridden like a bike I assume- handlebar, hand clutch, foot shift, hand and right foot brake...
If I ever feel the need for a three wheeler or trike I will get a matching side car for my Road King- same fender, light, wheel, tire, chrome trim, pin strip... Part of me thinks side cars are cool and old school, retro, art deco... Like the bike itself- basic design/style began in the 30's, like Airstream trailers.
If it has three wheels it is considered a motorcycle in almost all states. That's why you don't see more three wheeled cars.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Two Words

Tommie,

Two Words: Wet Bath

After many years in cruising sailboats, I will never own an RV with a wet bath.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Two Words: Wet Bath

After many years in cruising sailboats, I will never own an RV with a wet bath.
That's a matter of preference. I genuinely don't mind a wet bath. Using the toilet (lid down) as a de facto shower seat is handy.

Especially if you conserve water by taking Navy showers, you probably spend less time in the bathroom than you do in any other part of the RV (unless you have digestive issues we don't need to know about), so it only makes sense to use the least amount of space for the bathroom, so you have more room left over for the areas you'll use more often and for longer periods of time.

My only complaint about the wet bath in an Interstate is that I need to open the door in order to have enough elbow room to towel off.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Airstream got it right with the design on my 25FB! The shower is separate and across the passageway from the toilet/sink. Both are adequate size for us and no wasted space. The shower has a built-in seat if one wishes. Moreover, cleanup of the shower is insignificant, unlike wiping down all of the teak in my boat's wet bath.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #36

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Moreover, cleanup of the shower is insignificant, unlike wiping down all of the teak in my boat's wet bath.
A couple of times a year, I wax my fiberglass wet bath with Turtle Wax Ice spray wax. Makes cleanup really simple, no need to even wipe it down after a shower.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Out riding my new Can AM.... LOL

Well, I am back, and enjoy the comments about the wet bath. Yes, some inconvenience, but as noted, when you get small, you get small. I still have at least one more year with my Serenity to get this figured out, so no real rush.

Meanwhile, I will attest to the fact the new Can Am Spyder, mine is an F3 Limited SS, in all black, is wonderful to ride on, very very quick, and the full plastic body work seems to be the correct design decision to keep weight down and make the panels easy to replace if needed.

Who knows, maybe in a a year or so, in a tailer behind an Interstate.

Thanks for all the comments
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 08-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
That's a matter of preference. I genuinely don't mind a wet bath. Using the toilet (lid down) as a de facto shower seat is handy.
+1

Spent a lot of time on sailboats of all shapes and sizes, and a warm shower in a wet bath beats a cold saltwater shower every time. It's all a matter of perspective.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our camping friend still has an Allegro Bus AND a Hi-Lo trailer AND a raised roof Chevy Express conversion van with a couch/bed in the back AND an Interstate.
She prefers the Interstate for her and her Peekapoo.
I took the Allegro bus out a couple of times while my trailer is in the repair shop.
The living space and storage space is awesome in the bus.
She still occasionally uses the Allegro bus for local campgrounds.
She never uses the Hi-Lo or the Express van for camping any more.
She uses the Interstate all the time.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
RVs are kind of like Microsoft products— they're no good at all until at least Version 3.0… And just like Microsoft products, the RV consumers are used as unpaid beta-testers! At least the RV industry hasn't quite reached the point where they call bugs and glitches "features."
Hey, hey, hey! I worked for Microsoft for more than a decade!

I tell you, Microsoft does things a hell of a lot better than any RV manufacturer. For example we had usability labs where we would bring in people to try to use the new features before a product was designed and watched them through a one-way glass. We would catch a lot of issues this way. Had we put the AI through it, they would be a heck of a lot easier to use.

I guess there is no worse shame than being far worse than Microsoft.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote