Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #281
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You can buy silkaflex online, and it is probably less expensive than from their store.

I would also take pictures of anything needing re-done up there.

Maggie
Yes. Ordered two from Amazon
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #282

Orlando , Florida
Cool

A few random photos...

Noticed that I forgot to load a photo of the additional batteries in place

Photo of the soft rag I placed under the door to get the bumper to push down...hoping heat will create memory and the bumper stays in place. Still need to see if I can put some sort of adhesive to help it stay in place.

Potential location for Blue Sea switch (also plan to install the air compressor switch next to it, but first I want to see if I can find a factory switch that I can install in the switch bank location in the photo... that would be perfect and avoids making another cut out on the plastic trim).

And the last one, just cool to see batteries fully charged.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra Batteries Installed.jpg
Views:	1310
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	301085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	301086  

Name:	Potential location for Blue Sea switch.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	301087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	301088  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #283
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Enjoying all the photos of your modifications. Any detail on how the additional trays are fastened and how much time it took to fasten them. I would like to add them also. Look forward to seeing the wiring of the new batteries together with the originals on the other side. Looks like the spare tire may be in the way. Thanks again for posting all the good modification information.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #284

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
Enjoying all the photos of your modifications. Any detail on how the additional trays are fastened and how much time it took to fasten them. I would like to add them also. Look forward to seeing the wiring of the new batteries together with the originals on the other side. Looks like the spare tire may be in the way. Thanks again for posting all the good modification information.
Each battery tray is held in place by 6, 1/4" pop-rivets. You line up the tray, mark the holes, drill, and using a larger than normal pop-rivet tool (the one I had only went up to 3/16" rivets, reason for having to get a new one)

Those are the six holes you see in this photo... I forgot to take a photo of the empty tray in place... but MCRider pdf doc has one... be sure to download that doc.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1949787

Getting the tool in there to pull the rivets was a lot of fun ( not! ), with so many things in the way...

This is the one I used (take off an additional 25% with the coupon):

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...tle-66422.html

It might have been easier with a different model/style, but for 12 rivets, I went with the lowest priced one I could find...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #285

Orlando , Florida
I think that I might have found a switch that would work in the stock location... for the air compressor... will report back when it gets here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141859343063
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	301099  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #286
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I think that I might have found a switch that would work in the stock location... for the air compressor... will report back when it gets here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/141859343063
Nice work wachuko!! That switch will work just fine. I used one with a voltmeter to make my original BIM work more like the Blue Sea ML-ACR.

Here is how I modified my BIM installation.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1991870

You are on the right track as the ML-ACR is a much better device.

Ive also bought several other items from impactproducts which is owned by Sprinter-Source forum member "hein".
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/member.php?u=15586
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #287

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Nice work wachuko!! That switch will work just fine. I used one with a voltmeter to make my original BIM work more like the Blue Sea ML-ACR.

Here is how I modified my BIM installation.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1991870

You are on the right track as the ML-ACR is a much better device.

Ive also bought several other items from impactproducts which is owned by Sprinter-Source forum member "hein".
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/member.php?u=15586
Thank you. I am waiting for a day off from work to do the install (trying to see if I can get Friday off). I do not want to start it in the afternoon and not be done the same day...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-19-2017, 05:39 AM   #288

Orlando , Florida
Something that I do not understand... yesterday, out in the sun, both batteries got fully charged... showing 13.3/13.4 volts

In the afternoon I plug it at home (15 amp outlet)... 12.8 V in the morning ???

Why the difference? or what I am seeing during the day is the voltage provided by the solar panels and not the actual battery charge... either way, I don't get it.

Also learned that the Fusion radio needs to be turned off manually. Does not turn off with the key switch (no, I did not leave it on all night ). Noticed it right away when I got out of the car and kept hearing the radio...unless it stays on while the lights stay on and then turns off after a few seconds... arghhh.. need to check.
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #289
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Why the difference? or what I am seeing during the day is the voltage provided by the solar panels and not the actual battery charge... either way, I don't get it.
Whenever there is a charging source in use, the control panel display will show the charging voltage, not the battery voltage.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #290

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Whenever there is a charging source in use, the control panel display will show the charging voltage, not the battery voltage.
Ahhhh!
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #291
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
...Any detail on how the additional trays are fastened and how much time it took to fasten them. I would like to add them also. ...
Another idea in lieu of rivets is to use screws with neoprene washers (pic of them in this blog post, about 3/4ths of the way down). It's important to paint the new holes in the chassis, but we also felt that preventing rust should include isolating the holes if possible. That area is subject to constant water and mud spraying during rain.

We weren't adding battery frames but rather a general storage shelf, but it's a similar idea.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #292

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Another idea in lieu of rivets is to use screws with neoprene washers (pic of them in this blog post, about 3/4ths of the way down). It's important to paint the new holes in the chassis, but we also felt that preventing rust should include isolating the holes if possible. That area is subject to constant water and mud spraying during rain.

We weren't adding battery frames but rather a general storage shelf, but it's a similar idea.
FYI, for battery trays, bolts protrude too much... must be as flat as possible on the battery bottom side...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-20-2017, 05:47 AM   #293

Orlando , Florida
Appointment made for Thursday to replace valve stems with extended metal ones...

Got on the ladder last night and cleaned the solar panels. Window scrubber with extension pole put to good use.

Battery cable terminas arrived. 5/16". And I can drill them to 3/8" for the ones that require that. Good to go for this weekend wiring task.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	301182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	301183  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #294
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
On Fusion Stereo Issue

YEP, the music stays on unless you hold down the power Switch until both the sound and the screen go off. I found that out also. Yes, it will drain the battery. The reason is the Fusion is off the House batteries vs. the chassis battery. I don't like this but I can simply put it on my shut down routine.

Also, on the say type of subject. I also accidently left the light(s) on outside that drained the battery. So my new routine is to 1) Double check the main touch screen for lights, water pump (only used on demand), water heater (only used on demand), and of as you indicated audio.

Since we have the same basic year and model coach, I also learned to ALL ways turn the Air Conditioner off before turning of the "Shore Power" or the "Generator" If you don't the breakers will flip.

When sleeping, the touch screen is back lit. My wife HATES that. So I turn off the back light but then you can's see the icons (especially for the bathroom light at night). My fix is 1) leave the Bathroom light on at night if on Shore Power. 2) Give my wife a flash light if boon docking.

When I leave my coach for a long time and really want to conserve electricity. I turn off the red House power switch. The only problem for me here is this also turns of the Refrigerator / freezer. So when boon docking, I really double check all drains on electrical power to allow my solar panels to keep up.

When using the generator, do not start up your Air Conditioner to early. What for the Microwave LCD to beep on. Remember, generator is 20 AMP, Shore Power is 30 AMPS and plugging to your house is only a trickle charge ONLY.

You guys are amazing, I legitimately want to take some lessons from you with an adult beverage at the CanOpener.

Hoped my comments helped.
Quote:
Something that I do not understand... yesterday, out in the sun, both batteries got fully charged... showing 13.3/13.4 volts

In the afternoon I plug it at home (15 amp outlet)... 12.8 V in the morning ???

Also learned that the Fusion radio needs to be turned off manually. Does not turn off with the key switch (no, I did not leave it on all night ). Noticed it right away when I got out of the car and kept hearing the radio...unless it stays on while the lights stay on and then turns off after a few seconds... arghhh.. need to check.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #295

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
YEP, the music stays on unless you hold down the power Switch until both the sound and the screen go off. I found that out also. Yes, it will drain the battery. The reason is the Fusion is off the House batteries vs. the chassis battery. I don't like this but I can simply put it on my shut down routine.

Also, on the say type of subject. I also accidently left the light(s) on outside that drained the battery. So my new routine is to 1) Double check the main touch screen for lights, water pump (only used on demand), water heater (only used on demand), and of as you indicated audio.

Since we have the same basic year and model coach, I also learned to ALL ways turn the Air Conditioner off before turning of the "Shore Power" or the "Generator" If you don't the breakers will flip.
Good to know.

Quote:
When sleeping, the touch screen is back lit. My wife HATES that. So I turn off the back light but then you can's see the icons (especially for the bathroom light at night). My fix is 1) leave the Bathroom light on at night if on Shore Power. 2) Give my wife a flash light if boon docking.

Ha! This was another issue I was seeing... when connecting at home to the 15 amp outlet, I could see the panel lit up when looking from the outside rear door... and I was going in my mind like "no way in heck can I sleep with that on!" So glad to know that the back light can be turned off! Will take a look tonight. In our house, I am the one that need to cover the LEDs in the TV and other electronics in our room to be able to sleep better...

Quote:
When I leave my coach for a long time and really want to conserve electricity. I turn off the red House power switch. The only problem for me here is this also turns of the Refrigerator / freezer. So when boon docking, I really double check all drains on electrical power to allow my solar panels to keep up.
Ohh... you just reminded me that I need to check the fridge... it was on when we did the walk through and I do not remember turning it off after that...

Quote:
When using the generator, do not start up your Air Conditioner to early. What for the Microwave LCD to beep on. Remember, generator is 20 AMP, Shore Power is 30 AMPS and plugging to your house is only a trickle charge ONLY.
Yes. Checked! That I had seen and aware. Good reminder anyway.

Quote:
You guys are amazing, I legitimately want to take some lessons from you with an adult beverage at the CanOpener.

Hoped my comments helped.
I don't know about lessons to learn from us, lol... but we will be ready with some adult beverages.

And yes, comments appreciated! Thank you.
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #296

Orlando , Florida
Doing the install of the valve stems and the vehicle before me is having issues and they can't move it from the only lift that works for a Sprinter... I will have to come back tomorrow. I took the TPMS kit with me as well. Will install tomorrow when the valve stems are done.

A few comments after using it during the last few days:
  • I continue to like driving this beast
  • Cup holders... I know that lacking a center console, long trips without a place to have a drink within easy reach is going to be an inconvenience... the door pocket holder is not ideal due to reach. But a center console would be in the way of easy access to the walking to the back... What are you all doing for water/coffee holders?
  • Need to see how/where to wire the TPMS

More tomorrow... thought I was going to be here longer
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #297
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Cup holders... I know that lacking a center console, long trips without a place to have a drink within easy reach is going to be an inconvenience... the door pocket holder is not ideal due to reach. But a center console would be in the way of easy access to the walking to the back... What are you all doing for water/coffee holders?
Depending on the drink size, I either use the one on top of the dash by the driver's door or else use the pull-out holder in the center of the dash. The one in the dash adjusts to the cup size and holds the larger cups from fast-food outlets.

There is also one in each front door pocket that will take larger cups.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #298

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Depending on the drink size, I either use the one on top of the dash by the driver's door or else use the pull-out holder in the center of the dash. The one in the dash adjusts to the cup size and holds the larger cups from fast-food outlets.

There is also one in each front door pocket that will take larger cups.
wow, do I feel stupid .... had not seen the one on the dash...

Nothing to see here... back to normal programming...
Attached Images

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #299
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
wow, do I feel stupid .... had not seen the one on the dash...
If only the one on the dashboard was a little bit deeper… I've had so many drinks fall out of that center-dash holder on a turn or when I hit one of the ubiquitous Louisiana potholes that I never use that holder anymore. For me, a tall travel cup (or a resealable plastic bottle of soda) in the door cup holder works best. Nothing ever falls out of there!

Yes, you can adjust the center-dash cup holder to clamp tighter. But adjust it too tight and you can't put the cup back in it after you take it out to actually drink your coffee/tea/soda/etc. Which means I have to loosen it, put the drink back, and tighten it again. Too much fiddling around with it is needed while I'm driving.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #300
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I like a console with cup holders between the seats more than I like having the aisle clear. Walmart has a cheap one made for a minivan ($30) that works well for us. It gives us a place to store chargers and other stuff that is needed while driving. I am able to step over it to access the back of the bus but it takes a bit of maneuvering. To secure the console from moving, I stuck a 3x6" Velcro to the console and parking brake. I'm a flatlander and rarely use the brake (I know I'm supposed to) but I can detach the console and pull the brake lever if needed.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote