Old 12-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #197
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Smile

Went to the local RV dealer (just a few minutes away vs going to Tampa - same dealer, just different location). Got photos of a few areas...

Making the bracket for the ARB air compressor should be easy... just get a 10" wide flat sheet, bend it 90 degrees and use those holes on the side to secure it. If I want to add support on the other end, I could use small bracket and secure it against the mount and that spot on the photo... rubber isolators would be best to minimize vibration transmitted to the Sprinter when the compressor is being used... yeah... should not be that hard to make myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air compressor mount.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	300651  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #198

Orlando , Florida
As far as the cooler... took a few photos and measurements.

If the only reason for that aluminum bracket to be there is to hold the side extensions that come down when making the bed... I can get rid of the that bracket and have the needed clearance to slide the cooler... The side bed extensions can rest on the cooler when we make the bed

I would need to see how much the slide tray adds to the height of the cooler...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ideas for cooler install-1.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	300652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge with slide.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	300653  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #199

Orlando , Florida
Humm.... did not notice the seat belt anchor... might have to eliminate rear seat belts...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cooler install - 2.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	300654  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #200

Orlando , Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
You should have about 1.5" to spare before the cooler hits the door. The height is around 3" to much for storing with bed down. It wil take up the majority of your storage behind the seat.
I put our grill in a heavy duty trash bag so it won't smell like dinner al the time.
I am checking the notes and photos I took... does not look like it will slide under the bed even if I remove the aluminum slide that hold the sides... I measured it wrong

I can gain approximately 1-1/2" to 2" by removing the bracket and aluminum slide that hold the sides... but then there is the actual frame of the bed that I completely forgot to take into account... argghh... that sucks...and that is not even taking into account the additional height increase from the cooler tray/slider... if I read the specs correctly, the sliding tray adds 1.85" to the overall height of the setup...

Not giving up... will revisit this when I have the AI here... cooler is on its way...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cooler install - 3.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	300657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ideas for cooler install-2.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	300658  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 08:33 PM   #201

Orlando , Florida
Also took photos that I could use for reference on the install of the counter extension...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	300663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	300664  

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	300665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	300666  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I see you mention the flip-down bed extensions. in the cooler discussion Be warned that on mine the hinges have short screws that are screwed into the end grain of thin plywood, and will soon pull out. I replaced mine with longer screws into the end grain. It was still a poor design, but thought I would try that easy solution first. It has lasted 3+ years and 30,000 miles.

I have used a charcoal Smoky Joe Weber grill. I found a plastic tub that holds the grill, charcoal, and lighter fluid and that just fits between and beneath the elongated upside down aluminum U of the pull-out bed rack. The tub is not air tight by any means, but we have not found objectionable odor just inches away from our pillows. I have considered a propane grill but have not found one that is as small as my Smoky Joe. Your #8 lists a UCO Flatpack Portable Stainless. When I google it I get a grill (charcoal I think) that is V shaped with flat sides, not the round one shown in your photo. Can you provide a link to the one that you show.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #203
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
NOW we are cooking!!!!!!

1. Grills: When I camp (Glamp) I want to cook on charcoal. Before I got my first Airstream, my wife talked me out of it. So I bought a pretty expensive stainless steel small gas grill from a local Boat supply store. I used it one, the meat was warm and the mess was limited, is all I can say. I needed a solutions. Cooking is a huge part of my experience with my coach.
  2. Little Green Egg: That is what I REALLY wanted. The tiniest one is so cute, cooks so well and is SUPER expensive to what other same sized grills cost.
  3. Green Egg Starters: I have an Green Egg at home, the little square bricks light the grill with no negative smell in the coach when you transport them. Charcoal fluid GONE, Egg starters IN.
  4. Charcoal: Regular charcoal has little to no smell. The self starting stuff smells terrible. I put the small bag of Charcoal in a nice heaver grade of garbage bag.
  5. Smoky Joe Weber: Very inexpensive and easy to use. Storage and smell is as easy as two heaver grade garbage bag. I also use a large rubber band so I don't here the metal touch while driving. NOTE: When I use the grill. I let it go out by itself; I wash it out every time before storing it.
  6. Smell in the Coach: None.

Hope that helps.

Gary T. The "RV Advocate"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I see you mention the flip-down bed extensions. in the cooler discussion Be warned that on mine the hinges have short screws that are screwed into the end grain of thin plywood, and will soon pull out. I replaced mine with longer screws into the end grain. It was still a poor design, but thought I would try that easy solution first. It has lasted 3+ years and 30,000 miles.

I have used a charcoal Smoky Joe Weber grill. I found a plastic tub that holds the grill, charcoal, and lighter fluid and that just fits between and beneath the elongated upside down aluminum U of the pull-out bed rack. The tub is not air tight by any means, but we have not found objectionable odor just inches away from our pillows. I have considered a propane grill but have not found one that is as small as my Smoky Joe. Your #8 lists a UCO Flatpack Portable Stainless. When I google it I get a grill (charcoal I think) that is V shaped with flat sides, not the round one shown in your photo. Can you provide a link to the one that you show.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:37 AM   #204

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
... Your #8 lists a UCO Flatpack Portable Stainless. When I google it I get a grill (charcoal I think) that is V shaped with flat sides, not the round one shown in your photo. Can you provide a link to the one that you show.
That Flatpack portable I got just to test... that is something InterBlog mentioned (I think...threads, searches, and thoughts are starting to get mixed up )

The grill you see in the photos is one that I have had for over 20 years. I use it in the boat... and rather than buying a new grill for our next trip, I just got legs for it so that I can use it on a table... here is the link to the newer version of that one.... Magma Kettle Gas Grill

But if I had to buy another, I would go for their rectangular version... I have it in my wish list in case this one does not work out as expected. This one: Magma A10-603 Adventurer Series Gas Grill

I did look at the Camco Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill that comes with adapters and mounts to the side of the RV if you have the corresponding mount on the RV... but I do not like that it has a cast iron piece to it that eventually rust... I am bias with the Magma products from boat life... ...and the lpg adapter that I have works in all of their grills... so I am set if I need to change it.

Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	300696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	300697  

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	300698  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #205

Orlando , Florida
Question Making the battery cables

I might be worrying too much... but I want to do this once...

I mentioned that my father-in-law used to work for the power company... as such, he has several interesting tools.. I was going to buy a cable crimping tool and he said not to bother since he had one with several adapters for different wires...

We tested it today and this is the result. Question is, is this crimp better than a hexagon crimp? all this will be cover with heatshrink tube and abrasive resistant cover...

There is one crimping tool in Amazon, not too expensive, that would do the hexagon crimp... should I go that route or just a waste of $$ ?

Attached are the photos of the crimping test we did today... it is tight in there and no way it will pull out...

Worrying for nothing??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	300706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	300707  

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	300708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	300709  

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	300710  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #206

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
Little Green Egg: That is what I REALLY wanted. The tiniest one is so cute, cooks so well and is SUPER expensive to what other same sized grills cost...
Not planning on buying anything else for now . But never heard of the Green Eggs... searching...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
If it works for power companies it would be good enough for me. If it can't be pulled out, what else is there to wonder about?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #208
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Not planning on buying anything else for now . But never heard of the Green Eggs... searching...

Green Eggs are fabulous for grilling & smoking, but tremendously heavy! I wouldn’t think they would be suited for RVing except for larger RV’s.
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #209

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
If it works for power companies it would be good enough for me. If it can't be pulled out, what else is there to wonder about?
Yup...me overthinking things... smack in the head and I am fine now.
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #210

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Green Eggs are fabulous for grilling & smoking, but tremendously heavy! I wouldn’t think they would be suited for RVing except for larger RV’s.
I was looking at them and thinking "specs can't be right... that heavy!!?"

Yeah... not for me to carry in the AI... I will continue on current path...

WBCCI #26769