Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #181
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Heh heh heh. We'll see how long you persist in that aspiration.

It is, of course, a personal choice, but I can't imagine not capitalizing on what the hitch offers in terms of expansion potential with zero loss of rig maneuverability or versatility. Especially if you are talking about a more expensive cooler, which it seems you might be -- the ARB is a cooled cooler, at least, many models appear to be.

You may have seen this photo below before on other threads - this is our hitch carrier, outfitted with a Yeti cooler and our gas can, with and without protective covers.

We recently cut another simple metal insert for the cooler space so that we can carry a pressure washer OR a bicycle OR a portable generator OR whatever else in that same location, instead of the Yeti cooler.

This is waaay too much flexibility to give up on general principle, IMO.
Quote:
“how we pack the seasoning or any perishable that we take, how do we make it easy to remove those and place them back in the house so that when we go out we always have fresh stuff in the RV...”

-- I opted for an entirely separate set of seasonings in air-tight Nalgene bottles. They live in the van permanently now.

“and it has to be easy to move in and out... just trowing stuff in a bag will not work. ...”

-- Actually the best method I found is the big blue IKEA totes. Everything has an assigned place in our stick-and-brick house, but the movements from house to van and back again take place using the totes, into which everything is thrown.

“...Dollar store damp thingys to keep the moisture inside the RV in check and avoid mold... “

-- Drop in a bucket, literally and figuratively. There will be mornings when you will wipe many ounces of condensation off your window interiors. Keeping moisture in check is often more of a triage effort than anything that could be passively finessed. And when the rig is parked in storage, you’ll probably want continuous air movement through it (we do in the subtropics) to prevent mold.

“...The comment on the smells was an eye opener... anything we bring to the inside will have an impact on the how the whole RV smells...”

-- You could get a good-sized dog. That way, the essence of dog will overpower every other odor in the small space. Works for us.

“...wait, were is the trash can again in these??”

-- As counterintuitive as it sounds, someone on here recently suggested placing a soft-sided can in the wet bath. We found that there actually is room for it, and so this is what we do now. We hang two small metallic mesh baskets, one above the other, from the shower attachment near the faucet. I can no longer find that product online (it was a Container Store offering). This also helps with the aforesaid dog, who will tear into any trash can placed in the main part of the vehicle. Having it in the wet bath isolates it from her.

“...What do we do when we run out of movies to watch!!?, ...”

-- You could acquire a great deal of extra cellular hardware plus Netflix plus Apple TV. Each episode of Star Trek Voyager costs me about 350 MB on my 10 GB monthly Verizon air card ration. Very do-able. Even if you can get wifi in a remote location, the picture will be so degraded that amplified cellular is often preferable, if you can spare the megabytes.
On the cooler... I want one of those only because of the reviews from the Jeep Wrangler forum... reliable and less dependency on ice. Eventually I want to get a Jeep when it is time to replace my current car. Waiting for the Jeep Wrangler to come out with a diesel engine in 2019... anyway, the ARB is the cooler of choice for many Jeep owners... so thinking that I can use it in the AI and later with the Jeep as well... I am going to the dealer tomorrow to drop off the Duallys valves and will measure the back area with the bed down to see how much space I have to work with. If I can accommodate the ARB with a slide out tray that is the route I will take.

I am quickly realizing that everything, size wise, needs to be reconsider. It is cool that the Tommy Bahama edition comes with cooler and chairs... but those chairs are huge. The chairs we ordered for the kids should be here today. I will give them a try for me and Mara and if they work for us, we will be keeping the TB chairs and that cooler at home...

We have one of these that we use with our other car from time to time... I will try my best not to have to use it. But we have it just in case there is a need.

On the mobile hotspots... from what I am reading in different reviews, Verizon seems to be the preferred vendor for this service... I see that you have one from them as well. Our phones are with AT&T and the kids with Sprint... when we start traveling more we will get a Verizon MiFi for the trips. We love our Netflix and Hulu

Did not think about the bucket... will add to list. Along with two of those supper absorbent chamois cloths. One to keep in the bathroom for drying everything after taking a shower.

Also looking at a 12v vacuum cleaner - researching which brand to get...

Not planning on traveling with a dog... As much as we love Jojo (my kid's Cairn Terrier), she stays at home with my in-laws whenever we go out. We will always have space for air fresheners in the AI

Thank you for the additional ideas!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch tray.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	300561  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #182
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
You should have about 1.5" to spare before the cooler hits the door. The height is around 3" to much for storing with bed down. It wil take up the majority of your storage behind the seat.
I put our grill in a heavy duty trash bag so it won't smell like dinner al the time.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #183

Orlando , Florida
Will also take photos of the engine bay... looking to see if I can install an ARB on-board air compressor somewhere in the engine bay... I would like to have an air supply for any road emergency.

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #184

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
You should have about 1.5" to spare before the cooler hits the door. The height is around 3" to much for storing with bed down. It wil take up the majority of your storage behind the seat.
I put our grill in a heavy duty trash bag so it won't smell like dinner al the time.
Not good... that means that it can't go in with a tray either... from your description it will have to go sideways and pulled out to lower the bed.

I have a great case for storing the grill that avoids any odors to come out... but that sucker is bulky as well. Placing the grill it in a strong/heavy duty trash bag is a great idea as it will occupy less space. Thank you!
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #185
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Regarding small grills, to avoid odors in the interior, some Class B owners store them inside their spare tire, if theirs is under-mounted. A bit of calisthenics is all it takes to get them in and out.

When we went to Nova Scotia this past summer, we stored extra bottles of chain saw oil on top of the spare tire. Wrapped them in an IKEA bag and bungee-corded them in place.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #186

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Regarding small grills, to avoid odors in the interior, some Class B owners store them inside their spare tire, if theirs is under-mounted. A bit of calisthenics is all it takes to get them in and out.

When we went to Nova Scotia this past summer, we stored extra bottles of chain saw oil on top of the spare tire. Wrapped them in an IKEA bag and bungee-corded them in place.
I like this idea... custom build an enclosure.... this grill height profile is not too bad. In the case we have now we store it with the lid in its normal place (like in the photo)... but if we take it down, lid under, all parts inside the grill... height is reduced by 1/2 to around 5" and 15" wide...

That is a great idea... and no chance of grease dripping inside the AI... yup, I like it!

Once the AI is home, I will build the enclosure (or find something already made that would work) and will play around with how we secure it so that I don't end up reporting that we lost it in a trip
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #187

Orlando , Florida
Got the news that the parts from Airstream shipped! Should be here Monday!!

Everything else I have ordered has arrived or comes in today.

Updating list:
  1. Shipped! - Glacier Ice Corian flip shelf Part number 602233-07 - Tommy Bahama edition does not come with the extended counter piece due to the under counter lights mounted. Had to be custom ordered in matching counter top color.
  2. Shipped! - Two additional battery trays (these come with strap downs). AGM CL24, End mount Part numbers: 454982 - This is to double the house battery capacity.
  3. Shipped! - Will be using two additional stock batteries for now (Part number for batteries: 511828 Battery, 12 Volt, Deep cycle, AGM Lifeline - GPL-24T NSN No. 6140-001-520-8850)

--- Pending ---
  4. ARB CKMA12 Air Compressor High Output On-Board 12V Air Compressor - decided to do the under-hood mount. Now just trying to decide if I go with the single compressor or dual... it is not like I will be airing down and airing up the tires...so I might have answered my own question... single here and get the double when I get the Jeep...
  5. 3M Clear (or Xpel) protection film for the front to protect headlights and windshield
  6. 3M Crystalline film on windshield (clear) and side windows (legal tint) - to reduce heat inside while driving.
  7. Leveling blocks/pads and the wheel chocks for these...
  8. Windshield cover for when parked to reduce interior heat. Also looking at this thread for maybe doing something similar for the side glass/windows. Anything that will help lower the inside temperature of our Interstate in this hot Florida climate (I know, not as harsh as in Arizona and Texas, but still...)
  9. Memory foam top for the bed or RV Superbag https://www.rvsuperbag.com/
  10. Build two boards (that can fold away for storage) for additional sleeping space for my two kids
  11. Gloves, hoses (separate hoses for water fills and for tank cleaning)
  12. Sound deadening material to wrap generator and bring down the noise it makes - Thread on this
  13. Longer term might turn into immediate purchase... ARB Fridge / Freezer (ARB Elements Weatherproof 63 Quart Fridge) for extending cooling storage capacity.
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #188
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Regarding your new air compressor:

I had to use the MB-supplied air compressor that is stored in the step well on the passenger side. I found the compressor itself worked reasonably well for the one time in 4 years and 45,000 miles that I needed it. The two complaints I had were:
1) The air chuck was not well suited to airing the rear duals. It would have been better to have a straight and 45 degree backwards air chuck.
2) It was nearly impossible to get the hose and cord back into the storage section of the compressor.

On my to-do list is to cut off the existing hose and install a fitting so that I can then connect a section of air hose that has the better air chuck. This new hose will be stored elsewhere - such as under a rear side seat. Without the hose it should be easier to get the cord back into the storage compartment.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #189

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Regarding your new air compressor:

I had to use the MB-supplied air compressor that is stored in the step well on the passenger side. I found the compressor itself worked reasonably well for the one time in 4 years and 45,000 miles that I needed it. The two complaints I had were:
1) The air chuck was not well suited to airing the rear duals. It would have been better to have a straight and 45 degree backwards air chuck.
2) It was nearly impossible to get the hose and cord back into the storage section of the compressor.

On my to-do list is to cut off the existing hose and install a fitting so that I can then connect a section of air hose that has the better air chuck. This new hose will be stored elsewhere - such as under a rear side seat. Without the hose it should be easier to get the cord back into the storage compartment.
Ha! I was not aware that the AI comes with an air compressor! I already ordered the ARB unit. So still plan to install under the hood. I just do not want to be without required tools in case of an emergency that I can fix myself...

But I did not know it came with an air compressor - I will see what you mean with the fitting and make similar modifications to the one included. I can always move the ARB to another vehicle...
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #190
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
[QUOTE=wachuko;2043823]Ha! I was not aware that the AI comes with an air compressor! I already ordered the ARB unit. So still plan to install under the hood. I just do not want to be without required tools in case of an emergency that I can fix myself...

The newer AI's don't include the compressor.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #191

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
The newer AI's don't include the compressor.
Thank you for confirming this.

On other news:

Dealer will not be able to install the Duallys valves. I will have to take it to a shop to get that done. Dealer has started building a new facility with everything to service the Airstream line but at the moment they do not have a chassis lift and tire change equipment... soon...

Not a big deal, I will get that done after I take delivery. Will check with the Mercedes dealer near me to see if they have Sprinter support as I also want to have the alignment checked (based on recommendations from forum members)

On the ARB mount. Found in the Sprinter forum that Van Compass built a few prototype brackets to mount an ARB single or twin compressor under the hood. I sent them an email to see if they ever made those to sell and if they have them. Does not look like a difficult bracket to make. Worse case, I will just make one myself and have it powder coated before install.
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #192

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Just a couple of observations as stuff arrives...

The EMS/Surge protector is huge!! I will need get something to secure it with... lock cable of some sort...

The folding chairs!! omG! Those are compact! Attached is a photo comparing the current beach chairs we have, some old folding chairs we also have, and the new ones... and a photo of my son using it. Easy to assemble and disassemble... I do hope these last, they seem well made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	300634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	300635  

Name:	IMG_0281.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	300636  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #193

Orlando , Florida
Grill almost ready...

I just need to replace the adapter in the control valve for a Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Female

The folding table is very nice. But small... 18x19.9 table surface. Enough just to hold the grill and nothing else. Feel like ordering the larger one and using this one for placing between chairs for drinks and snacks. On the plus side, it folds flat so stuff can be placed on top when storing it in the AI.

I had mentioned the case where we currently keep the grill (and propane bottles and tray, and...)... photo of it as well. Will make a smaller case for the test of installing under the AI...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	300637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	300638  

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	300639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	300641  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #194

Orlando , Florida
Smile

TST TPMS also arrived from TechnoRV... Also received the aerator that was recommended here...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	300642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	300643  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #195

Orlando , Florida
Smile

And this also arrived today... signature updated! - WBCCI #26769
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0294.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	300645  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #196
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Tables In Picture

I have both the larger and smaller table. I use the smaller one for in between chairs and the larger one was going to be for my baby Weber grill. I rarely use the larger one because most sites have picnic tables.

The same company that make the table also make really good camping chairs that fold to the size of a laptop. We carry two of them for friends that visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Grill almost ready...

I just need to replace the adapter in the control valve for a Propane Quick-Connect Fitting - 1/4" NPT x Full Flow Female

The folding table is very nice. But small... 18x19.9 table surface. Enough just to hold the grill and nothing else. Feel like ordering the larger one and using this one for placing between chairs for drinks and snacks. On the plus side, it folds flat so stuff can be placed on top when storing it in the AI.

I had mentioned the case where we currently keep the grill (and propane bottles and tray, and...)... photo of it as well. Will make a smaller case for the test of installing under the AI...

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #197

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Went to the local RV dealer (just a few minutes away vs going to Tampa - same dealer, just different location). Got photos of a few areas...

Making the bracket for the ARB air compressor should be easy... just get a 10" wide flat sheet, bend it 90 degrees and use those holes on the side to secure it. If I want to add support on the other end, I could use small bracket and secure it against the mount and that spot on the photo... rubber isolators would be best to minimize vibration transmitted to the Sprinter when the compressor is being used... yeah... should not be that hard to make myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air compressor mount.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	300651  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #198

Orlando , Florida
As far as the cooler... took a few photos and measurements.

If the only reason for that aluminum bracket to be there is to hold the side extensions that come down when making the bed... I can get rid of the that bracket and have the needed clearance to slide the cooler... The side bed extensions can rest on the cooler when we make the bed

I would need to see how much the slide tray adds to the height of the cooler...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ideas for cooler install-1.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	300652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge with slide.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	300653  

WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #199

Orlando , Florida
Humm.... did not notice the seat belt anchor... might have to eliminate rear seat belts...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cooler install - 2.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	300654  
WBCCI #26769
Old 12-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #200

Orlando , Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
I am checking the notes and photos I took... does not look like it will slide under the bed even if I remove the aluminum slide that hold the sides... I measured it wrong

I can gain approximately 1-1/2" to 2" by removing the bracket and aluminum slide that hold the sides... but then there is the actual frame of the bed that I completely forgot to take into account... argghh... that sucks...and that is not even taking into account the additional height increase from the cooler tray/slider... if I read the specs correctly, the sliding tray adds 1.85" to the overall height of the setup...

Not giving up... will revisit this when I have the AI here... cooler is on its way...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cooler install - 3.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	300657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ideas for cooler install-2.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	300658  

WBCCI #26769