Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #241
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
I'm familiar with the flux capacitor but not the flux generator. Does this replace the need for lugging around a heavy power generator and this one runs on banana peels? How cool is that??

Brad
FF

off topic but did you see where banana skins fiber is going to be used in a Kevlar like car body? Strong and recyclable. ( and u might be able to eat the car if need be )
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #242
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian

I will try to make sense of it all.

Thanks again

Brian
Brian you should have come up to the fair grounds. This is great!! You are missing out.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #243
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I just got back from Southern Illinois. We spent a week camping in our other Overlander (1973). I did not even think about my son's airstream. I spent the whole time fixing all the faucets and valves in my 1973. I thought I drained all the water out only to find out that everything was split and broken from freezing. I also had to clean up critter droppings (It's stored in a barn up north). I could hear them in the walls. I think they got in between the walls by way of the air conditioner. There is no other way for them to get in.

I am not complaining I still had a great time. It just was not long enough. I have mouse poison that will kill them but will not allow them to stink after they die. I saw about 5 Airstreams on the road there and back. If I hadn't taken my landscape trailer I would have pulled the other Airstream back home. GAs prices were insane. I was spending $75.00 to fill the truck in the states where gas is the cheapest.

Brian
Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 AM   #244
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey Brian while doing my 73 I found that the hole for the a/c drain tube and the hole for the temp probe for the thermometer in the front central control panel were much larger than the actual tubes. Although a/s put putty around the hole in the belly pan if a mouse got into the belly it would be very easy for them to get inside the walls. Both holes are drilled through the c channel which is inside the walls. That's probably how your critters got in.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #245
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Wasagachris:

I put the mouse poison in the trunk so that should do them in. I was shocked I had mice. For three years I have kept it outside in my back yard and never had a problem. I put it in a barn and I have critters. Go figure.

Brian
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #246
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Brian there are hundreds of places a mouse can get it. If you can put a pencil in they can squeeze through. The ability for them to come in far exceeds your ability to keep them out. I actually build feeding stations in my trailer. There is one in the pantry in the bottom corner. There is one behind the bathroom vanity, and one in the belly pan. I have to top them off every few months. We make a point to keep the scene very clean. We take all the food out after every trip and make sure while camping we take the trash out often. Even with all this they like to come by for a visit. I just feed em and send them on their way to the great rock candy mountain.

They have been getting in all along, you are just noticing them due to the spring population boom. This is the time of the year mice are pumping out the babies at a fever pitch.

Every trailer that comes here gets a fresh box of Decon as soon as the client leaves. I am always amazed how often it looks mouse free to find it is not.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #247
x

XXXX , XXXX
Brian yeah go figure mice in a barn. The holes are 1 inch and the tubes are half inch so it will be very easy for them to get in. I forgot to mention that when I pulled my interior skins I found paths through the insulation right to these holes. I had nests in the front end cap and in the side wall over the wheel well on the roadside right above the hole for the A/C drain tube. It was very obvious how they got in. Even if the belly is tight they can get into it from the A frame right below the tongue jack. It is open ended box frame. I plan to close the opening with expanding foam to try and keep them out. It may work or they will just chew up the foam to get in.
Sorry to hear about your plumbing problems. I have never trusted blowing out the water system and have always used plumbing antifreeze. I used to work for an RV rental outlet and winterized 650 moho's every fall. None ever had a leak in the spring.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 AM   #248
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am going to try to figure out the wiring again today. My wife has worked on the trailer more then I have recently. She has been replacing every brass screw and refinishing every piece of wood. We decided to go with a new vanity in the bathroom and we picked up a brand new faucet we came upon at at flea market. My son is going to fiber glass a crack in the AC shroud and boundo a crack on the inside end paneling.

We took the the new stove apart and are getting it powder coated to look like stainless steel. We discovered that the PO's had restained the wood dark. We found the stain can and when we removed the mirror we saw the orginal color. Were cool with the darker stain.

Brian
Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #249
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Rosendale , New York
But how do you get ride of that horrible mouse poop pee smell????
Jklep65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #250
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
JKlep bite your lip. All we had were mouse droppings. I did not smell any pee. I hope I don't get pee smell.

I hooked up the the 12 volt battery to the fuse panel and converter that came out of a 1973 Overlander. I have come to the conclusion (correct me if you think I am wrong) that all the wires coming out from under the Goucho are 12 volt. I plugged in my AC electicity and did readings on all the wall outlets before I hooked up the fuse panel. I did not get any electrical readings from the wires I posted earlier. After I hooked up the fuse panel to the 12 volt I go readings from touching the connection from where I put the + wire and the - wire. When I tried to see if I was getting reading from the end where you hook up the individual 12 volt wires I did not get a reading.

Question about the white Load wire. What am I supposed to hook that up to? Is that for ground?

Brian
Old 04-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #251
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I also started to install the refigerator today. Wow!! It is a big ice box. The electic would not work but I read that I have to be hooked up to 12 volt to get the circuit board to work. I have a positive and a negative 12 volt areas to hook up to. Do I connect the negative to the trailer wall and the refrigerator?

Brian
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #252
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Brian, the easiest way to test this rascal is.....

On the bottom in the back of my fridge are couple of lugs for the dc input. Mine are marked for positive (+) and negative (-) right on the frame of the fridge. Take the 12V battery out of its mount and move it over by the fridge. If you have the fridge in the garage, even better. Just take the battery and hook it up to the DC inputs on the back of the unit (assumption is that the battery is fully charged at the start of this test). The 12v DC is needed to run the circuit boards that control everything.

Next, plug the 110v AC into a regular wall socket in the garage. Within just a few minutes, you'll notice the coils on the back of the unit getting hot (very hot, so be careful with a bare hand). In a few hours, the fridge should start to cool down inside. Check both the freezer and the refrigerator portion.

If you feel it's safe, leave it on overnight. The freezer should get below zero Fahrenheit. The fridge portion should settle in around 40 degrees, depending on what you have it set at.

I can come over a week from Saturday to take a look at the rest of the trailer DC. Susan and I have plans for this weekend, sorry dude. This part may take some trouble-shooting. I've got some really cool tools to help us out there.

If you need something, give me a ring.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 AM   #253
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

Thanks and I will take you up on the coming over a week from saturday. I will pay you back with a batch of my wifes Jumbalaya. Last time you were over you said your really liked it.

Dude hold on to your roof tonight. A big storm is rolling in. They said it is going to be nasty.

My 1973 is in a barn. Thank goodness because they got 11.3" of rain this month where it is parked.

Brian
Old 05-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #254
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Last two days have been busy days. I rented scaffolding and my son and I removed the old air conditioner and fan in the back. Matt did all the on top work with Rubin assisting. I feel he was the better person physically for that job. His friend Rubin came over and kept us all organized. Rubin is a great organizer

The refigerator I bought was bad. I found a you tube video which shows you how to replace the cooling unit on a dometic. It looks pretty simple so Rubin and I removed the cooling unit and I am getting ready to order another one. For $500 I feel I can't go wrong. It is a nice refrigerator and I cannot afford $1500 dollars for a new one.

Matt and Rubin got the replacement air conditioner in place and the new fantastic fan installed. I still have not solved my electric as of today. Adrienne my wife has out worked all of us. She is doing a fantastic job with the wood and paint. Still much to do

I have some pics.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air on top.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	128816   Click image for larger version

Name:	air replacement.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	128817  

Name:	fantastic fan installation.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	128818   Click image for larger version

Name:	matt rubin braves.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	128819  

Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Now I just got to figure out the electrical????????

One more pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	matt rubin.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	128820  
Old 05-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #256
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Brian, give me a call later in the week to make sure that we are still good to go for Saturday. Else, I'll forget and sleep in.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #257
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

I will give you a call Thursday. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. If I get the wiring figured out I will be really happy. I found a company that will rebuild the cooling unit. I will send them the unit and they will build a new one. I also will be picking up the new stove I had powder coated this week. Once that is done then it is just putting it back together. I just need to get it back together and lay the new hardwood flooring.

Brian
Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #258
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Now I just got to figure out the electrical????????

One more pic
Hi Brian..Thank you for inviting me to your thread..
Which one of the strapping handsome, fellows is your son ?
What a valuable experience..Hx2 built a beach buggy when he
was 16 ..with the help of his father..one day we'll get round to polishing ours..Love TC & The Gang..
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #259
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
He is the boy who is on top of the trailer and the one to the left of the Atlanta Braves shirt. He is pointing at the shirt. Three weeks of school left. Yeahhhhhhahhahh!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #260
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
He is the boy who is on top of the trailer and the one to the left of the Atlanta Braves shirt. He is pointing at the shirt. Three weeks of school left. Yeahhhhhhahhahh!
Ah ha ..I see him..nice looking chappie..
3 weeks left ..?? is he driving you nuts or dont you want him to go back ??
Im a bit confused..the Yeahhhhhahhahh could swing one way or tother
ive just read it again..do you mean in 3 weeks he will finish school..?
I need an AngloAmerica interpreter ..
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander, restoration