Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #381
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks Aviator!

I did a bit of polishing today, and I had to replace the used water pump I had got out of a junked RV. The salvaged one was not working after I wired it up. I got a new Shurflo today and it is up and running.

Tomorrow I will wire the hot water to a new switch.

Brian
Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #382
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I spent most the weekend cleaning up my yard, but took the last half of today to work on the airstream. I wired the hot water heater ( I hope it came out correctly). I also polished some more areas. I spent the rest of the day trying once more to figure out the galley stove fan. I tried everything possible and it still tripped the breaker. I finally have come to a conclusion to bring in an expert and pay them to figure it out. I also want them to move my refrigertaor wall outlet because the existing one sits up against the cooling coils.

Brian
Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #383
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am taking off some bits of metal that are not aluminum and having them powder coated. My tubes underneath that hold the dump hoses are really rusty or oxidized. I don't know if they are aluminum or sheet metal. I am taking them off this weekend. If they are aluminum I will clean them up. If they are sheet metal I am going to have them powder coated. Does anybody know what they are made of?

Brian
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #384
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Does it matter what type of metal it is? I think power coat will stick to any type of metal that will carry a charge--I THINK. Not 100% sure. If it will adhere, it will certainly extend the life of the metal. Your powder coat guy will know for sure.

For those of that don't know, Brian "knows a guy" that does superb work at very reasonable prices. I'd say run it by him.

Your camper looks great, guys. I need to come back up there and look at it in person again.

jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #385
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jim:

Thanks for the compliments. Trailer is looking good and come on up anytime. OOOps got to go the troops are coming in.

Brian
Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #386
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Ok I am back. I think I am going to get the tubes powder coated. This link shows headers that are powder coated from where I will take them. I will take a polished piece of aluminum that is from my trailer and try to match. What I think is great is the guy that does the work was a student at the old vocational school I taught at. It makes you feel good when you know a student learned a trade and is making money doing it and doing a quality job. check out the link.

Brian

Project Photos
Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #387
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I removed the tubes that hold the dump hose. I will take them and some other small pieces to be powder coated next week. I know these guys are busy so I might have to wait about three weeks to get them back.

I am heading to Peco's RV today to purchase a new gas regulator. I have been looking at the battery box in the front and trying to decide where to get a new one made. The old one had some old battery acid eat through a section.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	605.6 KB
ID:	154213  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #388
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
The second folding door is completed and installed. Both look like they came from the factory. All original pieces except the vinyl. MY wife did a fantastic job. She is now going to start making the curtains. She is going with a 1960's paisley pattern to fit with the 60's. I guess I better start going my hair long and get some tie died shirts.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1339.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	154278  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #389
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Brian you might find replacing the tubes cheaper than the powder coat. Everything is looking very sweet!
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #390
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Frank my wife is all into powder coating. She just loves to see the work. I don't want to ruin her good time. Ha Ha. Where do you get tubes from?

Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully I can get this thing done and start doing some camping.

Brian
Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #391
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
This evening we went out to the trailer to look at some things. My wife noticed the piece of wood that holds the channel rod the curtain is in was pulling away from the ceiling. She told me she remebers pulling a screw out that she thinks holds the whole center section up. It is the divider that seperates the kitchen from the bedroom. I will have to wait until next week to look at it. I don't think it will come down because the left side of the folding door is anchored to the wall. just a glitch that will have to be fixed.

I also took a brass wire brush that goes on a drill and started to take the oxidation off the belly pan. 52 years of oxidation coming right off.

Brian
Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #392
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
We got the tubes that hold the dump hoses back from being powder coated. Millers powder coating in Lilburn Ga. did a great job. I could not have asked for a better job. I have not worked on the trailer for a couple of weeks. I have been trying to get caught up on other projects plus I needed to rest. I will get busy again.

Adrienne met the person who powder coated the tubes. The young man told us his dad will be at the Stone Mountain Ralley which will begin next week. He says his dad helped organize the rally. He says his dad has an airstream. Check out he pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1378.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	535.7 KB
ID:	156294  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #393
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
The outside battery box has been removed. I will have a new one fabricated. What is the black stuff on the front panel. I think it was used to protect the skin from battery acid. I need to remove it.

The skin on the trailer where the battery box was is very oxidized. I am sure it will be pitted. I will get the black stuff off and replace it with truck bed liner.

Brian
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #394
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Brian,

My '59 has no black stuff in the battery box.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #395
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The curved drop-down door (split between the shell and wraps sort-of) of the battery compartment on mine had cable stays and a molded heavy plastic tray to hold the battery during remove/replace procedures... need pictures? These are from my bent donor trailer...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery_com.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	156686   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_com2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	156687  

Old 04-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #396
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
my battery box is behing the gas tanks and attached to the skin. It looks like a bread box. PO may have sprayed the inside of it

Brian
Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #397
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
For a few hours yesterday and a few hours today I polished and removed heavy oxidation from years of age and PO's battery acid that leaked on the aluminum. WOW! what a monumental task. It was a hands on learning experience of trial and error. Frank you posted a thread on how you used the different grits of sand paper to clean oxidation and scratches from one of your trailers. I also went and researched threads about using Nuvite and Diamond Brite products. Man I did it all. It was a mess. I got much of it off, but I just couldn't get it to what I wanted it to look like. Finally I went way out on a dangerous limb. I took wheel aluminum cleaner from autozone (sulfric acid mixture) and sprayed the nasty area and watched it bubble. 45-60 sec later I washed it off. All the nastyness fell off but the aluminum was horribly etched (OH NO!). I dryed everything and used Diamond brite with a cotton wheel on a drill. Bingo everything came together and it looks fantastic. Some of the areas have such heavy pitting there is nothing I can do about it. The new battery box I am having fabricated will cover it and hide it .

Brian
Old 05-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #398
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
My son's 1960 Overlander Restoration

Greetings Brian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
For a few hours yesterday and a few hours today I polished and removed heavy oxidation from years of age and PO's battery acid that leaked on the aluminum. WOW! what a monumental task. It was a hands on learning experience of trial and error. Frank you posted a thread on how you used the different grits of sand paper to clean oxidation and scratches from one of your trailers. I also went and researched threads about using Nuvite and Diamond Brite products. Man I did it all. It was a mess. I got much of it off, but I just couldn't get it to what I wanted it to look like. Finally I went way out on a dangerous limb. I took wheel aluminum cleaner from autozone (sulfric acid mixture) and sprayed the nasty area and watched it bubble. 45-60 sec later I washed it off. All the nastyness fell off but the aluminum was horribly etched (OH NO!). I dryed everything and used Diamond brite with a cotton wheel on a drill. Bingo everything came together and it looks fantastic. Some of the areas have such heavy pitting there is nothing I can do about it. The new battery box I am having fabricated will cover it and hide it .

Brian
It sounds like you have had quite a challenging weekend, but it sounds like the results were worth the effort. We have had such a hot and humid weekend that I didn't even venture close to either the Argosy or Airstream . . . they are both sitting there waiting for their spring awakening. We are getting one of our spring awakening's in the form of a very noisy Thunderstorm right now . . . hopefully none of the hail that has accompanied the storms that have passed us by during the last four days.

Enjoy your Airstreams!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #399
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Kevin:

Cool Beans about the weather. That means my pond is full. I will be in Anna in about 3.5 weeks with the 73 Overlander. How I miss So. Il.
I would really like to see your trailers someday.

Brian
Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #400
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
That acid could have caused some real damage, glad it did not. I used a product called aluma brite that is a mild etch to clean the aluminum. I brushed it on then hosed it off right after. Seemed to help though it did not get the corrosion as yous saw last weekend.
I am working on that with the black emery bar on a sewn buff, and G6 Nuvite. Then after it looks smooth I am trying Gord's polish. I saw what that did for another member with a 60s trailer and it was very effective. I hope mine will be as good when I am through. Once school is out I will hit the polishing again.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander, restoration