Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
sorry about the confusion. My son does not live at home anymore. He comes over to work on the trailer. I am a teacher and I only have 3 weeks left. I can't wait to get the trailer hooked up and go travel the country this summer. I am need of spending time airstreaming.

I want to make it to the property, Chicago and then up to Lake Superior.

Brian
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #262
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
sorry about the confusion. My son does not live at home anymore. He comes over to work on the trailer. I am a teacher and I only have 3 weeks left. I can't wait to get the trailer hooked up and go travel the country this summer. I am need of spending time airstreaming.

I want to make it to the property, Chicago and then up to Lake Superior.

Brian

Ah ha ..I see the light..its all clear now ..
TinCrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
The bathroom wood wall has been stripped, stained and polyurithanened. We are going to put a plexiglass, or something like polycarbonate over it so the shower water does not ruin the wood work.

We do not want to put anything really thick on the wood wall, but we will need a sheet that is going to be big enough and clear like glass to cover the wall. We looked at plexiglass at home depot but it was really thick. Any suggestions from you airstreamers?

We got the stove back from being powder coated and it looks great. The tub has been painted and looks great.

Pics coming this weekend.

Brian
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Stove is powder coated and Adrienne, Matt, and Rubin are responsible for what you see in the pics. They did all but I did help with removing the cooling unit. tub painted. wall stripped and stained, stove powder coated, bathroom floor in. and top is polished.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bathroom floor.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	129199   Click image for larger version

Name:	cooling unit out.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	129200  

Name:	polishing 2.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	129201   Click image for larger version

Name:	polishing 3.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	129202  

Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polsihing top.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	129203   Click image for larger version

Name:	tub painted.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	129204  

Old 05-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Today the DC and the AC electical was figured out. Jim (Jim and Susan) who is a member and frequents this forum came over today and used his knowledge and expertise to figure out the wiring. He found out that the wiring was worked on in the past by previous owners. Jim brought his technical equipment and systmatically figured out the wiring. He frequently would pull out a bunch of wires and comment "this is a mess".

He was awesome and really demonstrated a deep knowledge and ability to figure out what was D.C. and what was A.C. Some things that were D.C. were converted to A.C. and there was always a bunch of wires. Jim is the man.

I sent home Jumbalya with him and a big thanks. I owe big time.

Brian
Old 05-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #267
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Apply epoxy resin to your finished wood. Sand out with 120 and finish up with 240 and you will be 100% waterproof. The problem with covering the woodwork with a waterproof plastic sheeting is that it wont actually be bonded to the wood and thusly a gap will exist for moisture to penetrate and get trapped. Polyester resin may also be a cheaper option, but it does have some absorbtion properties ( very low risk if not submurged in water)
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #268
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Today the DC and the AC electical was figured out. Jim (Jim and Susan) who is a member and frequents this forum came over today and used his knowledge and expertise to figure out the wiring...... I sent home Jumbalya with him and a big thanks. I owe big time.

Brian

Aw, shucks, it weren't nuthin......

This is the first time I've worked on an early '60's camper, and I must say, what a great machine! This is one of those that has AC and DC lights wired to all of the light fixtures. It took us a while to figure out the AC in the camper. Some PO had wired lots of extra stuff around the camper. For example, where there was originally one outlet, there are now two...in several places. The breaker panel looks like it was replaced at some point and a seperate outlet was added in the bedroom on it's own breaker. Humm..... Arc welding in the bedroom, perhaps?

The DC system was a mystery as well. Whatever drove that system is long gone, so we had to trace things electronically. Toners are really cool if you don't have one. After we started removing "added" wires, the DC was pretty easy to trace. Most things inside the camper run off a 10 guage brown wire, ground is to the white 10 guage wire. The one part of the DC system that we didn't figure out was several blue wires. All of the DC wires disappear into 3 holes in the wall under the gaucho. Brown in one, the blue wires in the other two. I suspect the blue wires are for the brakes and running lights, but Brian is going to have a local Pro check these seperately. (Any input here would probably be helpful, if you have any).

Now having said all of that, Brian, Adrienne and family have put a bunch of work into this camper and I have to say, this thing is going to be BEAUTIFUL when it's finished. Adrienne has refinished all of the woodwork and it looks wonderful. They started with the typical "paint slopped everywhere" problem and cleaned all of that up, restaind and sealed. She has also developed a system of covers for the outsdie windows that snap on directly to the window frames (outside, not curtains). Adrienne, if you invented that, I see marketing in your future......

Oh yeah, the Jambalaya is to die for. Susan has already added it to her recipe book! Good luck guys. Let me know if I can help out again, it was a real pleasure.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #269
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Air conditioner blowing like it should. Nice and cool and looks good (done!). I also got all the DC lights working. I just have to buy some track lighting for the ceiling in the bedroom and galley. Moving along nicely. Screens will be done next week.

The Jalousie window has loose panes. How do you tighten those down? I don't want to break or lose any.

Brian
Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #270
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
My son's 1960 Overlander Restoration

Greetings Brian!

Quote:
The Jalousie window has loose panes. How do you tighten those down? I don't want to break or lose any.

Brian
What you likely need is something called a glass retainer clip or spring. Sometimes, a pair of needle nose pliers can be used to adjust the bend of the retainer clip so that the glass is held more securely, but often, the better alternative is a new clip assembly. These assemblies are becoming more difficult to find. At one time, Vintage Trailer Supply offered the exact replacement, but these have become obsolete according to a note on their site. When I last needed clips for my '64 Overlander, I was able to find the parts at an old mobile home repair center in a nearby college community -- similar windows were utilized in some of the less expensive mobile homes through the 1970s.

Good luck with your search for glass retainers!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #271
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Tub

Quote:
The tub has been painted and looks great.
Your tub looks super. Did you use one of the do it yourself kits? If so, did you really wash it down FIVE times with TSP...

We're re-doing ours soon. Do you have any tips?
~L

my restoration & travel blog:
https://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #272
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Someday:

We got our Homax Tub and Tile repair paint at Lowes. It was washed with the cleaner they gave us.( three times ).

Thanks kevin about the windows. I will have to investigation and see what I can come up with.

I will be in So. IL about the same time they have the national rally. I will try to make it to Duquoin to check out the trailers. We will be in Anna staying.

Brian
Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #273
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Tub does look really good. I did my sink with Krylon for plastic and it looks good but not that good...of course it is a spray with little prep required....Lazy man's way.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Tub

Quote:
Someday:

We got our Homax Tub and Tile repair paint at Lowes.
Oh good. That's encouraging. We had already purchased the Homax kit but after reading the directions I was feeling hesitant. I sure like your results though. Hopefully mine will turn out good too.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #275
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I got rid of the old toilet and tried to get the brass dump valve to work and I pulled it turned it and did everything I could think of. Water just goes through the black tank and on the ground. I was reading vintage airstream thread for replacement.

Restoration resources-Thetford Dump Valve

Has anybody replace their old brass dump valve and how hard was it. Any ideas with pics would be helpful.

Brian
Old 05-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #276
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I got rid of the old toilet and tried to get the brass dump valve to work and I pulled it turned it and did everything I could think of. Water just goes through the black tank and on the ground. I was reading vintage airstream thread for replacement.

Restoration resources-Thetford Dump Valve

Has anybody replace their old brass dump valve and how hard was it. Any ideas with pics would be helpful.

Brian
I did exactly what is outlined in the Colin Hyde article you linked on RJ's vintageairstream.com site. I wouldn't say it was "hard" compared to much of the work you've already done. Several others have done it as well, including Frank Yensan 62overlander. For me, the tricks were:

1) Removing the old valve without damaging the tank. Mine broke off the shafts and I had to get a machine shop to extract them from the cast brass flange embedded in the fiberglass.
2) Machining the adapter plate. Luckily for me, my good buddy byamcaravanner (aka Steve) did this for me. The measurements need to be exact, as you can imagine.

Other than that it's very straightforward, and I like having the modern and universally useful Valterra instead of the ancient and rotting Thetford.

I don't really have any pictures, but it all looks very similar to the ones you linked.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #277
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Just dropping a progress note. I am getting the stove to sit perfectly. Just have to do little more adjusting and it should be in a good spot.
Lucked up on a refigerator that fits the airstream perfectly. The cooling unit does not have a speck of rust on it and it works great. I got a great deal.

The problem is we are having very hot weather and when I start to work I sweat so heavily I become very soaked and get tired quickly. I have been working on it early in the morning until it gets really hot. It is coming along nicely.

Brian
Old 06-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #278
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Brian, you aren't kidding about this weather! We're having second thoughts about waiting to install our A/C unit. It's too hot to work!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #279
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Rosendale , New York
The window pains in my old AS were held in with little rubber discs wedges between the window an a corne of the frame that bent to hold the disc in place.
Jklep65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #280
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
We ordered the rubber from Inland and have replaced the loose ones. It is going on 7 AM and it is already heating up out there. Today I will be returning a stove and refrigerator. I also need to return some scaffolding I borrowed.

I went out and checked the replacement refrigerator and it is working really well. I just have to run a twelve volt wire to it. I am going to run it through the belly pan.

Brian

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander, restoration