Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Ah, yes. I understand the design now. I’d totally trim that overhang and maybe get crazy and place nice hardware on the door if that’s the only purpose for the overhang like that.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
At Least Your Mom Still Cares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Well if I surgically placed my noggin directly on one spot those would work!

I think a router to put a good radius the best solution but may may an unattractive edge...

May beat the unattractive bald spot on my gourd though!

I called mom instead of a lawyer..she charges a little less to hear me gripe.

Trav
Too funny! Not the hitting your head over and over part though.
I'm glad your mom gave you a discount
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I’m with you about the negligent design.

The older I get the more impatient I become with poor design. Anyone who designs or build something with only the aesthetics in mind should lose their creative license. Man is the measure of all things, And the things that man measures and makes should be made for man.

Sometimes I have dreams about poetic justice, like having the engineers who designed television remotes and cell phones to present their designs To the residents of nursing homes and face the wrath of those there. Let’s take the designers of these overhead cabinets for a tour of your airstream and just accidentally drop one of the doors on their head. Oops. Hey Mr. mechanical engineer, let’s see you remove this oil filter without skinning your knuckles, or spilling oil into your face. And then if they would start to swear I would say hey just think of how much money you saved by doing the design this way
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Switched to International

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Hi, I just bashed my head AGAIN on the knife sharp Airstream over head compartment doors. They are so sharp edged!
Sharp edges is why we didn't buy a Flying Cloud (new at the dealer) but waited to find a slightly used International model (today Globetrotter), which we succeeded in getting not long after. It's a question of design (and injury) and the Airstream aesthetic; the Flying Cloud just didn't do it for us whereas we are delighted with our International. It just feels and looks like an Airstream, outside and inside.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
ERIE , Colorado
We have a flying cloud and while my wife loves our trailer I have some issues with it in regards to the fit and finish for such an expensive trailer.

For one yes the cabinet door edges should have been eased, any legitimate cabinet maker eases all edges during the building process.

What really throws me for a loop though is they don’t edge band the plywood doors, that’s a finishing issue that really makes me question Airstreams build quality and attention to detail. The cabinet quality, at least in our flying cloud is total S***.
WadeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
There are a lot of things to catch you when you RV. Maybe you need to close the cabinet doors. Maybe you need to remove your trailer hitch reciever so you don't hit your shins. Maybe you need to put pool noodles on your windows so you don't hit your head when they are open. Maybe you need to put traffic cones out at the awning braces so you don't hit your head there. Maybe you need to put a pool noodle at your door header so you don't hit your head there. Maybe you need a traffic cone at the trailer hitch. Maybe you need to slow down and be more in control of where you are.

There are a lot of things to get you injured. But you don't have to blunder into them.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
troup , Texas
My 72 safari has rolling slider doors that dont protrude into noggin space. why quit that and go to ordinary swing out cab. doors.?
72sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
We have identical doors, 2020 FC, have had absolutely no problems. We are both 5ft 9in and neither of us, on a 5 month trip, have bumped our heads. (Except for the time hubby opened the door over the kitchen sink behind my back and I turned around to BONK!.) How tall are you?
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Wow. Thanks for the photo, tall grass.

If you were bumping your head in the corners, Travis, I was going to suggest Sugru. You can mix the colors to get a custom color of the putty, apply in a pleasing, symmetrical manner, and let it cure. It takes a arty/crafty hand, but it’s amazing stuff.

But if it’s the entire edge... not practical.

When shopping on an Airstream lot, we looked at a model with the queen brm like tall grass’s photo. In examining the walk-around-ability of the left side of the bed, I —— indeed, inevitably ——cracked my skull on the cabinet. It was not equipped with tall grass’s nifty yellow upholstery. 😫 I was a cranky camper indeed. No sale.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72sahara View Post
My 72 safari has rolling slider doors that dont protrude into noggin space. why quit that and go to ordinary swing out cab. doors.?
Do you mean tambours?

Because they break over time (like, crumble, the backing tears) and the roll of tambour, when the cabinet’s open, hogs up the limited cabinet space. Tambours weren’t used for a lot of years.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
Do you mean tambours?

Because they break over time (like, crumble, the backing tears) and the roll of tambour, when the cabinet’s open, hogs up the limited cabinet space. Tambours weren’t used for a lot of years.
If you mean sliding panels, many find it inconvenient to be unable to open all the cabinet doors when loading up for a trip. With panels, you can open one side or the other. Not both.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Jefferson City , Missouri
Eased Edges

While the clear plastic edge guard softened the edge and blended in fairly well I tried easing the sharp edge with a router. Using a laminate trimming router bit from Freud ($26) - trimmed the sharp laminate edges in a fraction of the time that it takes to hand file them. Plus, the 1/16" radius gives you a perfectly rounded smooth edge with no burrs or sharp spots. Highly recommend this solution. It solves the problem and maintains the aesthetics.
Jsailmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I have noticed the same issue with my 2018 Serenity 28. The edge laminate has a sharp 90 corner that will cut you like a knife. Careful use of a nail file solved the issue.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Jsailmo: what kind of material under the routed laminate was exposed? Did you feel the need to apply a sealant?
Sounds like an attractive solution. Would love to see a photo of your work.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:35 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Router Edge

You can feel the difference but there is no visible edge. Had my wife inspect and she asked when I was going to do it! Had her feel the edges and her response was WOW! You can see a slight change in the side panels I did not route as you can't remove them - they are framing the overhead in the front and back walls of the FS25 FBT. I will try to post a photo tonight
Jsailmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
edge details

Hope these help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	66.9 KB