This is a re-post from my Ambassador rebuild. It's a solution that I haven't seen before and works so well I thought I would share it in this forum as well.
Most old Airstream's will have some damage to the belly pan from the ends of the out riggers. Either poke thru's from impact or corrosion. As designed there just isn't enough bearing area where the steel outrigger contacts the Aluminum belly pan as it bends up toward the floor. This area is also tough to seal against rodent intrusion by the wheel wells.
On the Ambassador, the outriggers on both ends of the wheel wells were knife edge.
My solution utilized some 3/4" x 4" polyethylene trim board that I had laying around after a house project. I rough cut a 4" section on my chop saw. Made a clearance bore to clear the floor attachment bolt and used a single 1/4" SS bolt and lock nut to secure into place.
I then used a belt sander to clean up the profile to my liking. All of the white you can see would have been a gap.
It checks all the boxes:
- Smooth transition for the belly pan
- Good bearing surface for the belly pan
- No galvanic problems
- Easy to seal, with no gaps
I did it to the wheel wells and liked it so much and it was so easy, I did it to the complete frame. - Mark