Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Forum for newbies and towing

I’m sure some of you follow Airstream Addicts on FB. Since Covid and all the new first time RV/AS people common posts there are about TT and TVs, what they should do. Of course the direct answer is “you don’t know what you don’t know so you need to work at this”.

Often it is “I have or just bought a 1/2 ton that can tow xx lbs. should work, yes? “. Or bought a 25 can my car/truck tow it? Opinions on FB are more inaccurate than on Airforums. I usually can’t help but try to add some guidance and usually say go to Airforums. However, I should say set aside many hours and days for that and warn that you may end up more confused.

Would be great if there were a Newbie Towing forum that has the best of the best posts that really help them understand what they are asking and where to find more facts and less bias for what decision we came up with. Each decision is unique as we all know. Have always wanted a list of questions newbies need to answer that will at least show the TV options for them and the pros and cons of each
Traded in 2016 Sport 16, 2019 Sport 22
As they say, third AS is what to buy first
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Greenhorn & Boondocking Adventures

Some years ago I did a Greenhorn Boondocking Adventure and explained that the basics that would be done for new trailer owners.

I also did several Boondocking Adventures in New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming for those looking for a bit of... change. It may have been a bit too much at one time, kind of change.

Five attended. Four were excellent and already experienced owners. One with an Interstate RV that wanted to Dry Camp for the first time.

Newbies do not seem to be interested in learning through example among a group. They want to find an Airstream Dealership that will sell them a trailer, attach a hitch to a reasonable match to their choice in trailer length and drive away content. The Customer is looking for confirmation that they made with their choices. Well to many.

As you discovered, the more skill and experience one accumulates from towing a trailer, they find the tow vehicle is inappropriate and the trailer too small.

This includes Solar, Tow Vehicle choices for the kind of towing a new owner has in mind, Tires, Hitches and a long list of very specific needs for those with very specific choices in their uses of an Airstream or any trailer.

The Trailer Dealer does not want this job for liability and other reasons I am not aware.

The potential owner is looking at a magazine of smiling faces and wine tasting when on their first outing do not understand how to operate the refrigerator or hot water tank.

Will this change? Only among those Dealers who do offer such training and advice.

Do you want to introduce Newbies, or even Experienced owners, how to Boondock Off the Grid for reasons that they do not understand or have an interest?

Try it. Let us know how it worked out. Then you may have a better understanding why a Forum may seem confusing to a Newbie... real towing and setting up a trailer at a remote or RV Park is even a bigger challenge.

Call me... experienced without the personality of a Camp Host. I tried. I failed. My personality was that of a Wagon Train master and not a Salesman wanting to make a sale.

(Photo one is at Bone Cabin near the dinosaur quarry just east of Medicine Bow, Wyoming. 2016 Wyoming Adventure with all Ten 'wagons' in tow. )

(Second photo is on Beaver Rim, Wyoming which is about 25 miles southwest of Lander, Wyoming. The Third is the Beaver Rim Cliff we set camp on the Lander / Rock Springs Stage Coach route, overnight.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4674.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	376432   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4686.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	376433  

Name:	DSCN4681.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	376434  
Old 08-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
Would be great if there were a Newbie Towing forum that has the best of the best posts that really help them understand what they are asking and where to find more facts and less bias for what decision we came up with. Each decision is unique as we all know. Have always wanted a list of questions newbies need to answer that will at least show the TV options for them and the pros and cons of each

Thanks for the suggestion. We have a towing forum and some subforums... I've updated the description a little bit for the general towing forum however and that may help

Name:	Towing.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	376435

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. We have a towing forum and some subforums... I've updated the description a little bit for the general towing forum however and that may help

Attachment 376435
I will save the link and post it to FB questions
Old 08-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Here's a direct link: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Some years ago I did a Greenhorn Boondocking Adventure and explained that the basics that would be done for new trailer owners.

I also did several Boondocking Adventures in New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming for those looking for a bit of... change. It may have been a bit too much at one time, kind of change.

Five attended. Four were excellent and already experienced owners. One with an Interstate RV that wanted to Dry Camp for the first time.

Newbies do not seem to be interested in learning through example among a group. They want to find an Airstream Dealership that will sell them a trailer, attach a hitch to a reasonable match to their choice in trailer length and drive away content. The Customer is looking for confirmation that they made with their choices. Well to many.

As you discovered, the more skill and experience one accumulates from towing a trailer, they find the tow vehicle is inappropriate and the trailer too small.

This includes Solar, Tow Vehicle choices for the kind of towing a new owner has in mind, Tires, Hitches and a long list of very specific needs for those with very specific choices in their uses of an Airstream or any trailer.

The Trailer Dealer does not want this job for liability and other reasons I am not aware.

The potential owner is looking at a magazine of smiling faces and wine tasting when on their first outing do not understand how to operate the refrigerator or hot water tank.

Will this change? Only among those Dealers who do offer such training and advice.

Do you want to introduce Newbies, or even Experienced owners, how to Boondock Off the Grid for reasons that they do not understand or have an interest?

Try it. Let us know how it worked out. Then you may have a better understanding why a Forum may seem confusing to a Newbie... real towing and setting up a trailer at a remote or RV Park is even a bigger challenge.

Call me... experienced without the personality of a Camp Host. I tried. I failed. My personality was that of a Wagon Train master and not a Salesman wanting to make a sale.

(Photo one is at Bone Cabin near the dinosaur quarry just east of Medicine Bow, Wyoming. 2016 Wyoming Adventure with all Ten 'wagons' in tow. )

(Second photo is on Beaver Rim, Wyoming which is about 25 miles southwest of Lander, Wyoming. The Third is the Beaver Rim Cliff we set camp on the Lander / Rock Springs Stage Coach route, overnight.)
Ray,

Gotta be a brave guy to work with that many newbies. My hat is off to you. I wouldn't have the patience.

But it did make me think about how I learned, and continue to learn about camping outdoors. Rule of thumb: Must learn how to walk before running. Backpacking came first, then 22' Prowler; 25' AS now 30' AS. Learned by doing, some help from friends; reading up and making mistakes. A lot of them. None fatal, almost a couple of times. Then there is watching other campers from a distance and noting "I wouldn't do that".

My point is how do you cram a lifetime of experience into a classroom or even a forum? Where do you start? Some, new to this, will not even know what questions to ask. Maybe the forum should start some "How to" courses? Course 1 for Beginners ( Topic 1 Selecting a TV and TT; Topic 2 On the Road; Topic 3 Setting Up Camp etc.) Most of the information is already on the forum, just needs to be organized and put at the top of the forum page so its easy to find. Any volunteers?
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
There is a daily newsletter that might fill the bill, called “The Beginners Guide to RVing Newsletter”. Something you subscribe to and get a daily email. Not Airstream centric but many facets do pertain.

https://www.rvtravel.com/new1/

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Los Gatos , California
I think a list of questions to be answered and why to narrow down choices. The first is why do you think a trailer, specifically AS. From there it branches to finding the best combo.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:32 PM   #9

Currently Looking...
Cottonwood , Arizona
Looking for info and experience w/B 190 vans
Jim Ivins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ivins View Post
Looking for info and experience w/B 190 vans
In this thread FYI: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ns-213198.html

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Bingo!

Creating an additional "Newbie Towing Forum" would be counter-productive IMO. All the info is above . . . one just has to take the time, patiently, to wade through it . . . necessary learning-curve homework for our shared journey IMO. Shortcuts NG -- IMO.

Happy trails,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Rule of thumb: Must learn how to walk before running. Backpacking came first, then 22' Prowler; 25' AS now 30'
I think this is an important distinction. My wife and I have talked about this. I think the folks that are most successful at RV life started out as tent campers and worked their way up. My first tent experience was in the backyard when I was seven. You have to be able to experience and not mind a bit of discomfort and bother. Camped in tents until I was almost 40. Started out with Army surplus shelter halves, moved up to a cheap pup tent, then a nice Eureka! A frame, then a Eureka! umbrella tent. Finally took the plunge and got a pop up trailer when the kids were small. Our family enjoyed camping all over in that and we learned how to tow. Now retired, we've realized our life long dream and gotten our Airstream. When we got it, our previous pop up experience helped us understand the terminology and fundamentals and gave us a good start.

Now, we have a rash of folks who have never really camped, who have watched too many YouTube videos, and have run out and bought an RV. In many cases they've bought too big an RV because they want to "take their house with them". I run into them in the campground, bewildered by the systems and not knowing what to do. Some are not afraid to ask for advice. Some are. Unfortunately, many dealers don't care beyond selling the thing and getting it off their lot. So a lot of these newbies leave the dealership without training other than a quick run through that only hits the high points and may even be wrong.

For everyone's safety and enjoyment, I think providing as much newbie info as possible in this forum is a good thing. Hitching and towing and tow vehicles are so important because doing it wrong can have such devastating and potentially tragic consequences. Perhaps there should be a "stickie" topic at the top of each forum and subforum for Newbie 101 type info.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #13

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Lighting stove top

I have a 2020 flying cloud And on my first trek. I cannot get the stove top lit. I have gas, tanks are on, but no go. Any suggestions.
Mikeyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyjo View Post
I have a 2020 flying cloud And on my first trek. I cannot get the stove top lit. I have gas, tanks are on, but no go. Any suggestions.
The simplest thing is that you have air in the lines and/or the tank floats are blocking the gas. I seriously doubt the regulators are bad.

1. Turn both of your tanks off, wait awhile, then turn them back on again.

2. Open some windows and turn on stove top. You should hear something. Try to light after about 15 seconds.

3. Try putting your refrigerator on LP (if that is an option). You should hear it click a few times, and then a kind of whooshing sound when it lights. If it doesn't light the LP light will continue blinking. If that happens, turn it off, then turn on and cycle through the process a few times. This should help clear the lines of air. By the way most people have to cycle through this process on their refrigerators after it has sat awhile. Very very common. Don't panic.

4. You can also try lighting your hot water tank on LP. Obviously first turn off the electric part. If it is on LP you should be able to tell by opening up the hot water tank area and observing the flame. You should also be able to hear the flame going.

The more things you have calling for LP the more likely you get the air out of the lines.

P.S. Before you go on a trip make sure and fire up all your LP appliances. This helps bleed the lines after it has sat awhile. Better to have a problem at home than at the campsite.

Good luck
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
I salute anyone who has taken the initiative to attempt to teach newbie campers, of which I am one. Personally, I would jump at the chance to join a class on boondocking. I’m sure it’s frustrating for the experienced RV’er to attempt such an undertaking, but it’s needed more now than ever before.
Someone might want to consider that as a business model.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
I salute anyone who has taken the initiative to attempt to teach newbie campers, of which I am one. Personally, I would jump at the chance to join a class on boondocking. I’m sure it’s frustrating for the experienced RV’er to attempt such an undertaking, but it’s needed more now than ever before.
Someone might want to consider that as a business model.
Although AirForums is a very valuable tool, I find it's at it's best (IMO) when responding to very specific questions. Even then you get answers all over the map. You then still have to sort out by trial and error the fix that works best for the site specific condition. This requires judgement based upon experience. I can imagine someone new or with little experience this can be overwhelming.

Although I'm not a member, I would think that joining a local chapter of WBCCI might be the best venue to offer Newbie AS classes. From what I have read some chapters do have some capabilities to put on adhoc training classes. If you are new to camping and trailering you need to have someone to show and tell and then have the opportunity to ask questions about what you have learned.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote