Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Sharp Edged Cabinet Doors

Hi,

I just bashed my head AGAIN on the knife sharp Airstream over head compartment doors. They are so sharp edged!

I have ripped my scalp open 4-5 times. I mean drawing blood! I did it once again yesterday and again today and am in a lot of pain right now! Same spot exactly and bleeding pretty good!

I had sort of trained myself to avoid it but two days in a row now...I shouldn't have to be wearing a helmet inside my AS....

I can not believe they don't take 30 seconds to round these corners over! I worked in a cabinet shop and don't recall EVER shipping a cabinet with hard corders like this!

It's actually creating a bald spot on my scalp and I swear I'm gonna call a lawyer if it happens again! And it's bound to!

I've been searching for some sort of bumper material but have found none.

Anyone else getting beat up by these doors?

Thanks,

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
You’re gonna call a lawyer because YOU keep hitting your head?

Not knowing if you are serious here but Let us know if you want some suggestions on correcting this. Maybe you can post pictures of the cabinets that are scalping you?

Anyways, I’ve seen people in the RV world usually use pool noodles and cut them down to place on corners they run into. This is usually on slide outs on class As or I’ve seen it on awning arms on airstreams too.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
You’ll build up callouses in no time. Keep at it!
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
wowwwwwww.....

I want to watch this show.......LOL
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
You’re gonna call a lawyer because YOU keep hitting your head?

Not knowing if you are serious here but Let us know if you want some suggestions on correcting this. Maybe you can post pictures of the cabinets that are scalping you?

Anyways, I’ve seen people in the RV world usually use pool noodles and cut them down to place on corners they run into. This is usually on slide outs on class As or I’ve seen it on awning arms on airstreams too.
I'd call a lawyer as the design is begging for such an injury!

It's possible to design and build things that cause injuries. In the building trades there's a myriad of small codes on similar things. Steps are certain spacing etc.. Doors are certain heights. There's minimums and you rarely if ever see a hard sharp edge like this is a building.

There's no way these doors should be designed like this. Despite perhaps me being the only one to squawk about it I'm sure others have experienced similar. I almost hit it almost daily!

I know what happened! It's been hot so I have them closed for better AC flow when usually opened to avoid this. I had been trained to miss by that 1".

See how it's a sharp 90° angled down? This is above the dinette...same above bed.

The edges should be rounded or at least eased... I've looked for some sort of soft corner bumpers, not gonna use pool noodles (thanks for the suggestion ) but have not found any....

Thanks!

Trav
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	375783  
Old 08-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkYard View Post
You’ll build up callouses in no time. Keep at it!
I thought I did!

It had been weeks since I'd done it but when closed....

See above but when closed it messed up my self training to just miss them!

I may get a router and half round bit and take the edge off ...not sure how that MDF plywood sandwich will react though...

Trav
Old 08-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Sorry, I believed you that it was a sharp edge. I was hoping to see the entire cabinet. I’m not familiar with the door that you are speaking about as all of ours are not hanging over like yours.

Best of luck with litigation. I worked in restaurants before and someone sued us because the door knob handle on the bathroom was too hard/blunt and cut open her head. Don’t even know how her head hit the door knob.... I suppose I’m no longer surprised with our society...

Have you tried reaching out to Airstream to see if they could modify your cabinets since you feel it’s a design flaw? They would be the ones with the information if others have brought it to their attention too.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Instead of a pool noodle you could slit some appropriately sized clear plastic tubing and press it on, I use it a lot on metal edges in the shop. I am not clear if you are hitting it when it has been left open, or is it closed when you are hitting it?
Old 08-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
We considered some bumpers that were made to be put on baby furniture, but eventually decided we did not need them.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Sharp edges on plastic laminate can be eased with a flat metal file. It makes quick work to take the edge off.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
When we bought our 2002 new, every cabinet edge was sharp. I spent a week with a file smoothing the sharp edge banding on every piece of cabinet I could get to. Ever since, I have luxuriated in the silky feeling I achieved. No, I never worked in a cabinet shop, but have made many things involving laminate and edge banding.

My experience has been that careful hand work is the key to corners that are pleasing to the hand (and head). As I was working with the file, I was overjoyed that I didn't have to pay for hand work in the Airstream factory. My own work was fortunately free.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #12
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you worked in a cabinet shop then you should know there are a host of devices to solve your issue. Here is a link to one:

https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cate...089/sku-918009

A few more:
https://www.ebay.com/b/Baby-Safety-C...184/bn_2311076

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:02 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
If you worked in a cabinet shop then you should know there are a host of devices to solve your issue. Here is a link to one:

https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cate...089/sku-918009

A few more:
https://www.ebay.com/b/Baby-Safety-C...184/bn_2311076
Well if I surgically placed my noggin directly on one spot those would work!

I think a router to put a good radius the best solution but may may an unattractive edge...

May beat the unattractive bald spot on my gourd though!

I called mom instead of a lawyer..she charges a little less to hear me gripe.

Trav
Old 08-14-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Look...sorry about the noggin!!! I hear and feel your frustration. The reality, high end cars, boats, UTV’s, Airstreams... Some human assembled it and some human inspected it...maybe. Once again, last month I purchased a brand new “thing” (AS Int. Serenity). During the last month I have fixed two leaky roof vents, a screw that keeps popping out from the top right corner of the conv. oven. A door that would not open or close well, a screen door with an upper right gap, and now a sharp lower edge that scraped the “h$ll” out of my ankle this past weekend. The difference...I expected it!!! My bad...I noticed that some of the finished edges were sharp and didn’t get round to breaking the corners with some 120grit. Once again...sorry about your head!!!!!!!! These purchases are very expensive and you would expect more...even perfection. The realty...expect that it won’t be perfect. In my arsenal of camping supplies, I have a tool set, lock-tite, duck tape, power drill. After this past trip, I just added 120 grit sandpaper. I’m under full warranty, and I still fix these items myself. While camping, or when I return home, I take an hour or two to perfect my airstream. I feel I can do a better job anyway!!! Not to mention...it’s just another great reason our wives find us attractive!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Jefferson City , Missouri
Empathy

I feel your pain as I had the same experience with a new 25 FBT. I bought some clear silicone tubing that was sold as a table edge protector for toddlers. It is a quarter of a tube with adhesive strips on the inside surfaces. Works great and not very noticeable. Sorry I can't recall the brand but I found it on-line with a search. Good Luck!
Jsailmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Jefferson City , Missouri
Empathy

Dug through my file and found it! Wemk Transparent Table Edge Protectors, Corner Protectors Bumper Strip 1 Roll 20ft(6.1m) with Double-Sided Mounting Tape for Cabinets
Jsailmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I had the same problem in our Classic. DW had a habit of leaving overhead cabinet doors open and, being tall, I had a habit of running into them with my forehead. It was a team effort.

It's hardly a problem now in our Globetrotter as the doors open higher, are curved and the edges are rounded.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
San diego , California
That hanging down would bug the crap outta me. Also slice my bald head open all the time. Maybe find a cabinet shop and have them cut down.
JunkYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #19
Artist•Creator•Maker

2013 19' International
San Francisco , CA
For me, it's not just the corners, but every dang cabinet edge in the trailer. The 90º angle scrapes my skin about 25% of the time. I don't move around in my trailer gingerly when we're camping, nor should I be expected to. We even had screws that were too long (with sharp points) used in the assembly of our cubby's above the fridge and some drawers. After the third major gash I decided to replace them. I don't know how Airstream gets away with this sub-par build quality. Maybe someone suing would get Airstream change their standard of quality

Many thanks to the common-sense responders here who suggested filing the edges down. Gonna give that a try & hopefully it won't look too crummy.
Dsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #20
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
I slit a pool noodle lengthwise and cut to fit the doors and then placed the noodle on the underside of the doors. It grips tight enough that we haven't had to use a sticky.
We still bump our heads, but now it's a soft bump "oof" instead of a "Call 911 I'm Bleeding".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200610_184959.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	375935  
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote