Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Which would make the better TV in the first place.

An 1,100-lb TW is easily set up for such. Been there and done that. US, Canada & Mexico. Five adults.

Why “payload” is near meaningless. Load 1100 into the vehicle. Scale it. Where does the weight fall? Equally on all axles? Ha!

You guys are just killin’ it.

Just to point out that 30 years ago cars had frames. Now they are unibody so towing with a new Honda is not the same as a 70's Dodge. Their underlying structure is not the same.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #82
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I have a 2019 3500 Long Horn Mega Cab on order and got a chance to drive one today at a local dealer. Simply, WOW. Whisper quiet inside, rode nice. Fit and finish were outstanding. I ordered the non High Output model but this one had the High Output/AISIN 1000+ Ft Lb setup. Holy cow Batman. Acceleration, hold onto your seats. Now waiting for mine to show up.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #83
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Just to point out that 30 years ago cars had frames. Now they are unibody so towing with a new Honda is not the same as a 70's Dodge. Their underlying structure is not the same.
Depends which car. Chrysler moved to unibody construction in 1960 for all but a few models, so that is almost 60 years ago. We usually had Fairlane and then Torino wagons for towing when I was growing up, and they were all unibody construction through the sixties, so around 50 years ago.

Nothing wrong with a unibody for towing, they are stronger overall than body on frame, it just needs more attention to how you attach the hitch receiver.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
All in a straight-line, you mean. No lane change. With which an AS is more than capable even if the driver and tow vehicle are not?

Got those TUSON antilock brakes and their world-class brake controller installed? Their world-class trailer-mounted electronic anti sway device?

Or upsized anti-roll bars and Panhard Rod on the truck?

Most of all, made the short drive to London to have Andy’s crew sort the hitch rig basics with a Hensley-patent hitch?

Or you just never get above 55?

Bought my trailer from Andy. He installed my Hensley. Truck and trailer brakes are factory stock.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Absolutely agree.

However, those decisions, like not driving when tired, driving at a speed appropriate for the conditions, leaving sufficient space, planning ahead, etc, don’t tend to depend on vehicle choice. I was referring to situations after that point, when it can come down to an avoidance manoeuvre or a crash.

We only control our own actions. Have you never seen a crash where the victim wasn’t the cause?
Yes, plenty. I’ve learned to recognize risk by watching driver behavior. And I’m not just talking about phone use. And yes, certain makes and models of car seem to have the worst drivers.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Give ya credit for game:

Belief in magic? Where are your records of testing braking distance with either the 1/2T or larger pickups you’ve owned. Validating that braking distance is SHORTER when hitched is a BASIC requirement.

Facts about braking distance are dependent on disc swept area and tire contact patch VERSUS the weight penalty of the vehicle above.

1). What’s the NECESSARY increase in the tire patch contact area for a 1T to stop as short as a 1/2T? As the 1T has possibly a smaller CP.

You may like your current truck, but you make a fool out of yourself with what a junior high kid can show is false. Stop it.

My latest Peterbilt has six of possibly the largest disc brakes you’ve ever seen using ten tires grip. And those are state-of-the-art highway tires, plus computerized controls galore (12-speed AMT downshift protocols, tailored engine brake application, etc). It’s more than impressive. It’ll put you thru the windshield.

Nevertheless, all up TARE is 21,500-lbs. Does this mean I can stop faster than you where all else is the same? Ha!

Fantasize all you like, but when ANY of you start to LIE, it’s a different story.

Test. Couldn’t be simpler. Starts with correct hitch rigging AS THAT MAXIMIZES BRAKE PERFORMANCE. But, you all don’t do this also basic and also REQUIRED procedure.

Any of you can’t be bothered to test combined-rig brake performance on a day off on a quiet road, what kind of man are you? (Yeah, I’m dead serious. Yeah, it’d be nothing but cuss words any of you were in front of me. I’ve watched it “go wrong” on the highway for a family more times than you’ll see. My feelings about it are to want to pull over and beat Daddy to death with a lead pipe if any of those kids are killed. There wasn’t anything accidental about what happened. That guy failed Man Test #1: Protector And now ALL of society suffers).

Grab a son or a nephew. A friend. Another dork like yourself. Get the Three-Pass Method DONE (hitch adjusted and hundreds of miles of testing for those last tweaks). THEN inspect and test brakes. Representative loads in each vehicle. (Don’t give out any more dork vibes by whining about buying some tools. Calibrated air gauge, G-meter, orange traffic cones, 1” Drive torque wrench, whatever seems to suit).

Your rig doesn’t stop SOONER hitched versus solo you’ve got real problems.

If you want MORE brake performance you ADD antilock disc brakes to the trailer. And tires other than garbage ST-rated.

Going 1/2T to 1T makes braking worse, NOT better.

(Yeah, Id still rather have a car. Less work to drive it and more capable when it counts).

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.

Hensley Arrow. 12-cpm solo, 19-cpm towing (fuel)
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411

First Slowmover, why is it when you come on this Forum, you have a chip on your shoulder like you've been drinking or something? Most of us here, are trying to share our knowledge, and learn from others...not be insulted by some old fart driving a 2004 Dodge Cummins with a 6 speed manual, who "spews" insults and "negative" advice out like he's the Holey Grail when it comes to towing an AS? Just saying, if you disagree that's one thing, but don't try to tell me about brakes or stopping in an incident I was involved in when you have never been in same situation with me...your not qualified to give that advice...

Second, I also live in Texas, so please stop your "BS" calling me or anyone else here a "DORK" because we have a different experience with newer vehicle towing an AS... if you don't own one, have not owned one to really compare the experience besides just perhaps driving by one in your "Peterbuilt" and "thinking" you know everything there is to know on the road, I would say your not qualified to "opine" here...IMHO...so YOU STOP IT!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #87
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I took at look at the IIHS data that was referenced above. This is for the vehicle and isn't specific to towing of anything.

Here's the definitions of their rating color/values for 2015-2017 model years:

About these numbers
All results are stated in relative terms, with 100 representing the average for all vehicles under a given coverage type. For example, a result of 122 is 22 percent worse than average, and 96 is 4 percent better than average. The colors also indicate how each model compares with all other vehicles.

Vehicles are displayed with others from the same size and class. Similar models can generally be expected to have similar losses. These tables help consumers identify vehicles whose results are substantially better or worse than others like them.

Results for collision, property damage liability and comprehensive represent overall losses, which reflect both the frequency of claims and the average loss payment per claim. Results for injury coverages represent claim frequency only. Included claims date from the first sales of a vehicle through the beginning of the calendar year that follows the last year in the model year spread. For example, data for 2011-13 models include losses through early 2014.

The results are adjusted to reduce possible distortions from other nonvehicle factors — operator age, calendar year, density, gender, marital status, model year, risk (standard or nonstandard) and state. Collision and comprehensive also are adjusted for deductible amount.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.58.21 AM.png
Views:	62
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	338213

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.58.06 AM.png
Views:	65
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	338214

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.57.40 AM.png
Views:	66
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	338215

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.57.12 AM.png
Views:	52
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	338216

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.56.14 AM.png
Views:	55
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	338217

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.55.53 AM.png
Views:	56
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	338218

My personal take away, I'd rather be in a large or very large truck.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #88
1 Rivet Member

Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
New Ram HD so nice. That interior is amazing. Couldn’t wait for it last summer when we needed a HD tow vehicle for our new TT so bought a ‘19 F350 platinum instead.
pgordon888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hardinsburg , Indiana
Another item left out of the discussion is road surface drag coefficient. In other words the higher the road "grip" the less overall braking distance required...all other things being equal. Part of a fatality accident crime scene (back in the day) where skid marks were present, was to do skid test braking to determine the road surface drag coefficient (used in part for speed determination along with other factors). And yes, anti lock brakes will leave "ghost" skid marks on dry surfaces. We're all adults with our own personal views of right and wrong based upon our personal life experience. Fact, anytime you add weight either directly in a vehicle, by adding a trailer, or both, you artificially change it's center of gravity, steering, braking and the overall control one has. Vehicles are designed to function safely within specific parameters and exceeding those capabilities, unintentionally or not, can lead to unsafe conditions or worse. I applaud all who weigh their tow vehicles and trailers to ensure their vehicles are being operated within manufactured tolerances. Bottom line, nothing replaces good old fashioned "horse sense" when towing.
Hyo Slvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgordon888 View Post
New Ram HD so nice. That interior is amazing. Couldn’t wait for it last summer when we needed a HD tow vehicle for our new TT so bought a ‘19 F350 platinum instead.
New HD RAM- yea, saw the writeup in the new Trailer Life issue...interesting and a lot of talk about the cockpit leather and reducing weight with aluminum in several places...and it also looks cheap ($$)compared to the Super Duty...not sure if I would want to get the "first year" with the engine changes or wait a year...wonder what the mileage will be towing a larger AS and also solo...still the 6 speed I see. Might take a closer look and test drive later this year...I expect I will be around 90K on my Super Duty by September...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 04-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
New HD RAM- yea, saw the writeup in the new Trailer Life issue...interesting and a lot of talk about the cockpit leather and reducing weight with aluminum in several places...and it also looks cheap ($$)compared to the Super Duty...not sure if I would want to get the "first year" with the engine changes or wait a year...wonder what the mileage will be towing a larger AS and also solo...still the 6 speed I see. Might take a closer look and test drive later this year...I expect I will be around 90K on my Super Duty by September...
There is no 'engine change', is the 6.4 Hemi was an optional upgrade on previous models, it is now the standard engine, 6.7 Cummins is an option with the High Output version only available on the 3500

Transmission on the 2500 is the TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic, not a 6 speed.

68RFE is standard on the diesel with the Aisin on the HO version.
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyo Slvr View Post
Another item left out of the discussion is road surface drag coefficient. In other words the higher the road "grip" the less overall braking distance required...all other things being equal. Part of a fatality accident crime scene (back in the day) where skid marks were present, was to do skid test braking to determine the road surface drag coefficient (used in part for speed determination along with other factors). And yes, anti lock brakes will leave "ghost" skid marks on dry surfaces. We're all adults with our own personal views of right and wrong based upon our personal life experience. Fact, anytime you add weight either directly in a vehicle, by adding a trailer, or both, you artificially change it's center of gravity, steering, braking and the overall control one has. Vehicles are designed to function safely within specific parameters and exceeding those capabilities, unintentionally or not, can lead to unsafe conditions or worse. I applaud all who weigh their tow vehicles and trailers to ensure their vehicles are being operated within manufactured tolerances. Bottom line, nothing replaces good old fashioned "horse sense" when towing.
Yes, also pointing out that trailer brakes will never be as effective as vehicle brakes because they are in back. There is a reason that the big brakes on a vehicle are in the front; because weight transfer makes the fronts take the majority of the force. Trailer brakes are more like the rear wheel brakes because they are generally aft of center so they become less effective as weight transfers forward during braking.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondul View Post
There is no 'engine change', is the 6.4 Hemi was an optional upgrade on previous models, it is now the standard engine, 6.7 Cummins is an option with the High Output version only available on the 3500

Transmission on the 2500 is the TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic, not a 6 speed.

68RFE is standard on the diesel with the Aisin on the HO version.
Was referring to the diesel- not Hemi....This is what I read...not sure if you saw this?

The new generation Cummins I6 keeps the same displacement of 6.7 liters but received the heavily reworked design. The new version has a new cylinder block and weighs 60 lbs less than before. The new design includes also an improved cast-iron cylinder head and stronger but lighter pistons. The upgraded variable geometry turbocharger and new exhaust system play also the role in the class-leading performance.
The standard Cummins inline-6 diesel will be available in the 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel and larger 3500 version. In this configuration, the engine provides 370 hp at 2, 800 rpm and peak torque of 850 lb-ft at 1, 700 rpm. The standard-output Cummins turbodiesel comes in the mix with the improved 68RFE six-speed automatic transmission. The Ram 3500 will be available with the more capable 6.7-liter inline -6 engine with the power and torque ratings at 400 hp and 1, 000 lb-ft respectively. In this case, the engine is paired with the heavy-duty Aisin 6-speed automatic transmission.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

Mockingbird Heights , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Was referring to the diesel- not Hemi....This is what I read...not sure if you saw this?
You didn't mention which engine you were talking about.

Yes, I've seen the described changes, you can say it is a 'new engine' but I see them as 'tweaks' and not a new engine, but YMMV.
Gondul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #95
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I’ve had my ’14 Ram 2500 4x4 w/Cummins since Fall of 2013. It has 68,000 miles, all but maybe 750 have been trailer towing. The most significant mod I made was adding a 32 gal. auxiliary diesel tank to the bed. The truck has done everything I’d hoped it’d do. Plenty of grunt, no issues going down mountains, no breakdowns. My major investment was putting on 4 new Michelin’s at 45,000 miles. Last Monday, I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 Limited 4x4. It has every option that Ram puts on a 2500 Limited. My major reason for the upgrade (and there are many!) was the addition of technology that will help me continue to be a safe driver. Bigger discs in front and rear, blind spot assist, integrated stuff for my trailer -- TPMS especially -- I can dump my Dill system -- adjustable rear suspension. AND, it has the Ramboxes as standard equipment (the best adjunct for hookup stuff, levelers, bottle jack, fire extinguisher, etc).

Some years ago a fellow RVer came up to me in a park and was complimenting me on my rig. He looked at my beautiful truck and said, “I see you got a Cummins, how do you like it.” I said something about 700 pounds of torque. He smiled and said, “you buy the Cummins, it just happens to be in that Dodge.” Cummins seems to have a real reputation with long haul truckers. I’m in the camp that really values the freedom we all have to choose what we haul and what we haul it with. Being on the open road with an Airstream heading out for fun and adventure....that’s what I value!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #96
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I’ve had my ’14 Ram 2500 4x4 w/Cummins since Fall of 2013. It has 68,000 miles, all but maybe 750 have been trailer towing. The most significant mod I made was adding a 32 gal. auxiliary diesel tank to the bed. The truck has done everything I’d hoped it’d do. Plenty of grunt, no issues going down mountains, no breakdowns. My major investment was putting on 4 new Michelin’s at 45,000 miles. Last Monday, I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 Limited 4x4. It has every option that Ram puts on a 2500 Limited. My major reason for the upgrade (and there are many!) was the addition of technology that will help me continue to be a safe driver. Bigger discs in front and rear, blind spot assist, integrated stuff for my trailer -- TPMS especially -- I can dump my Dill system -- adjustable rear suspension. AND, it has the Ramboxes as standard equipment (the best adjunct for hookup stuff, levelers, bottle jack, fire extinguisher, etc).

Some years ago a fellow RVer came up to me in a park and was complimenting me on my rig. He looked at my beautiful truck and said, “I see you got a Cummins, how do you like it.” I said something about 700 pounds of torque. He smiled and said, “you buy the Cummins, it just happens to be in that Dodge.” Cummins seems to have a real reputation with long haul truckers. I’m in the camp that really values the freedom we all have to choose what we haul and what we haul it with. Being on the open road with an Airstream heading out for fun and adventure....that’s what I value!
Congrats on your new RAM 2500! I hope it serves you as well as your '14 model.

Does your new truck have the Auto Level Rear Air Suspension? It seems to be an option that is hard to find. And if so, how is it working for you?

And just curious, what color did you get? And maybe a picture or two. I don't mean to be a PITA but am considering getting a new RAM HD as well.

Thanks!

Bob
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #97
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
The Auto Level Rear Suspension is a $1,595 option, so I doubt many dealers will pop for this. They tend to use a standard package -- and I suspect because of cost, this isn’t on that list.

I ordered my 2014, but I didn’t want to do the 12-14 week wait for a new truck so I input exactly what I wanted on my truck in the Ram website. I used a 100 mile radius as the search window. I live in Greensboro, NC. There was only ONE truck that fit my specs and it was 93 miles away. I called the sales manager (the truck won’t be delivered until the end of April) and made an appointment to see if we could do a deal. He checked out my truck, liked it (offered higher than both Edmunds and KBB on a trade), we went back and forth a couple of times on bottom line price, and we did the deal. The sticker was $82,000. For a truck.

I did check out a 2019 Megacab Longhorn 2500 that was on the lot. Auto reviewers have been raving about the interior. I drive a 2017 Mercedes S Class cabriolet -- and it has a gorgeous interior. The Ram is not all that far behind.

The truck is Diamond Black Crystal Pearl. Should look nice with 30’ of aluminum behind it!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
The Auto Level Rear Suspension is a $1,595 option, so I doubt many dealers will pop for this. They tend to use a standard package -- and I suspect because of cost, this isn’t on that list.

I ordered my 2014, but I didn’t want to do the 12-14 week wait for a new truck so I input exactly what I wanted on my truck in the Ram website. I used a 100 mile radius as the search window. I live in Greensboro, NC. There was only ONE truck that fit my specs and it was 93 miles away. I called the sales manager (the truck won’t be delivered until the end of April) and made an appointment to see if we could do a deal. He checked out my truck, liked it (offered higher than both Edmunds and KBB on a trade), we went back and forth a couple of times on bottom line price, and we did the deal. The sticker was $82,000. For a truck.

I did check out a 2019 Megacab Longhorn 2500 that was on the lot. Auto reviewers have been raving about the interior. I drive a 2017 Mercedes S Class cabriolet -- and it has a gorgeous interior. The Ram is not all that far behind.

The truck is Diamond Black Crystal Pearl. Should look nice with 30’ of aluminum behind it!
...I paid 33,000 difference.....they got my 07.....both 6,7 2500.4x4..short box..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote