Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Cowlin in CA

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
KENTFIELD , California
Tow vehicle feedback

Iím a newbie, my wife and I recently purchased a 2018 Tommy Bahama 19 (5000 lbs). I am considering a new tow vehicle and prefer an SUV over a pickup. I am looking at a Toyota Sequoia, a Chevy Tahoe and the Audi Q7 - all have similar towing limits (7000-8000 lbs). We want something that will tow with ease (almost like we donít know the trailer is there), will be extremely reliable and comfortable.

Thanks in advance, we appreciate your help as we learn!
mcowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowlin View Post
Iím a newbie, my wife and I recently purchased a 2018 Tommy Bahama 19 (5000 lbs). I am considering a new tow vehicle and prefer an SUV over a pickup. I am looking at a Toyota Sequoia, a Chevy Tahoe and the Audi Q7 - all have similar towing limits (7000-8000 lbs). We want something that will tow with ease (almost like we donít know the trailer is there), will be extremely reliable and comfortable.

Audi Q7 hands down. See if they still offer the diesel.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

(almost like we donít know the trailer is there)

That is pretty much what you don't want...the trailer SHOULD feel like it's there, stable and true.
With time you will be able to understand exactly what the TV & AS are communicating to you.
Being able to understand that the easiest and best way the stay safe.

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
What Robert said. It is very important.

All of your choices will do the job. Consider that you are looking for low center of gravity, 120in wheelbase, independent suspension on all four corners and a vehicle that works for all of your use applications, including daily trips.

I would be leaning toward the Sequoia. Reliable and reliable.

The Audi is well recommended and as a member of the VW, Audi, Porsche team it would provide lots of user support and experience.

The Tahoe should be a slam dunk. American made, you see. However, it has been involved in some of the excursion events discussed here. That would suggest there might be a towing instability issue. However, that "the 2020 Tahoe and Suburban are to feature an independent rear suspension instead of the usual live axle is significant, with likely implications for both comfort and performance. IRS setups tend to offer greater handling and stability than solid-axle designs, along with a smoother ride over rough driving surfaces." Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/...#ixzz5kLgQ96vV

I would not buy a solid axle Tahoe, but I would look at the 2020s. Ford got there first, so you might give them a look while you are waiting. Again, I'd be leaning toward the Sequoia.

Investigate first. Note - you do want to know it's back there and what it's doing. You just don't want it to do bad things. A good hitch, good TV, and good attentive driving and navigation all work to that end. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Any of those would be a good choice.
We just sold our 19FC and the buyer was a mom and daughter who towed it away with a new Toyota Highlander and for my taste was a tad borderline, but checking in with them an hour down the road they reported that it towed beautifully.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Of the three you mentioned, I'd pick the Toyota.
Reliable 5.7L. with a Tow/Haul mode, same as the Tundra.
The downside is the fuel economy is a bit puny.
Heck, the Toyota web site shows two pictures of the Sequoia towing Airstreams!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Among those 3 vehicles, while they all are capable of towing the 19' AS, represents a pretty large spectrum of styles and competencies. Enough that it'll come down to personal taste as to what's best. Each encapsulates what's typical of domestic vs. european vs. japanese sensibilities.

The Audi is going to be the smallest, lightest, and most agile solution. Tahoe, next largest, more straightline power, perhaps more reliable, and softly sprung ride. Sequoia as the name implies, largest for all your goodies, lots of power, probably least efficient, ironclad reliability, with an between ride/handling qualities of the other two.

Personally for me, a tow vehicle for long distance vacations has to be first and foremost reliable. While I love (and have) high performance German motors, I would preferrably avoid highly stressed performance motors that Audi's are known for.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Go with the Tahoe or the Toyota, as long as they have V8s. I’d skip the Audi.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
The new Ford Expedition is an SUV that is getting a lot of attention. Might be a good match for a 19-footer.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:19 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I don’t respond to posts that immediately rule out pickup trucks.
Oh wait, I just did.
Consider stinky, messy, muddy cargo. Generator, gas cans, BBQ grill, leveling blocks, etc. all go good in the bed of a pickup, not so good in the back of a Tahoe.
Crew Cab pickups are hard to beat!
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I am a Toyota fan mainly because of the reliability issue. I used to tow a smaller trailer with my 4Runner that had the V8 in it. Really liked the ride and handling. I now have a Tundra and would suggest you give a lot of thought into how you camp now and how you might be camping in the future.

If you always use campgrounds with full hookups and don't like to mess with campfires then the SUV will be perfect. If you get a generator then you need to think about how you are going to carry this around especially if you bring an extra gallon of gas along. Firewood? Another issue.

A good pickup with a nice bed topper will give you plenty of options. Of course, if this is going to be a daily driver then the SUV might be better for you. Think of what you want now, and what you might want down the line.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
Cowlin in CA

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
KENTFIELD , California
Thanks for all the great advice everyone, it's really appreciated.
mcowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks for all the great advice everyone, it's really appreciated.
I think most of us have been in the same situation and thinking about the same trade offs. I think aftermath said it well; consider really how you will use it both in terms of camping/pulling and how you will use it on a daily basis when not towing. I love Audis in general and currently have an A6 diesel that is fantastic, but of your three I would be inclined to go with the Toyota due to overall reliability and general strengths. An advantage of the smaller Airstreams 23 and under is that you have a lot of good choices for a tow vehicle! Good luck and have fun!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Too bad Toyota doesn't make a cargo van with the 5.7L. engine and tow package!
Happy campers!
Wait. They do. The 2020 Toyota Hiace.
(No grunt and not for the US.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-32.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	338060  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And with our luck, only comes in right-hand drive...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Too bad Toyota doesn't make a cargo van with the 5.7L. engine and tow package!
Happy campers!
Wait. They do. The 2020 Toyota Hiace.
(No grunt and not for the US.)
The Hiace is a great van. Got to ride in a couple of them in Mexico recently. Would love to have one with a V8.
To the OP: If it's a daily driver, get the Audi. Better yet, get a Cayenne😀
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Might consider a Touareg Diesel as well...

Quote:

Toss one more on the 4 wheel independent suspension German engineered SUV... We found a 2016 Touareg TDI new on the lot last year for 22% off. It towed our 2018 FC23FB like a dream. Got 16 MPG while towing, 26 MPG without. Itís got 406 lbs. ft of torque and 6 piston caliper brakes. Plus all the luxury youíd want. Too bad they stopped importing it. The 2019 in Europe is a V8 TDI with 664 lbs. ft.!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	794FB0A9-9FDE-4C46-AD47-5D206CCA7324.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	338072  
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
German engineered SUV...
Having had my share of German vehicles... I don't know which side of the coin to look at for towing. I'll just say I have my hesitations.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote