Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Wilmot , New Hampshire
Any news on 2019 interstate on new 2019 Sprinter.

Hi,
We recently had to sell our 10 yr old, much loved, 2009 International 25FB due to my husband’s recent stroke that left him with vision problems. He is no longer able to drive and I won’t pull a trailer. We are about to order a new B Van, either the Interstate Grand Tour or a Pleasure Way Plateau. Can’t quite make a decision.

I really like the lithium batteries and larger alternator in the Pleasure Way and the changes they are planning for their new 2019 Sprinter van. But, we are old Airstream people - would really miss the aluminum! I can’t find any definitive info on what Airstream is going to incorporate into the 2019 Sprinter chassis or any other changes to the van itself. For instance, I noticed that the new 19’ Interstate has the Lagun table system, as do the new Pleasure Ways. I really dislike the present Interstate tables - any info on whether these will be standard across the Interstate line. Also am hoping for screen changes. But can’t find any info. Anyone heard what is planned?
Thanks for reading.
jagzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The new 2019 Sprinter is slow coming to market. Mercedes Vans is way behind schedule so it is understandable that the manufacturers, like Airstream don't yet have much definative to say about the new Sprinter.

Here is a link to the Sprinter-Source forum threads on the new Sprinter.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=213

... and here is a video from the owner of Advanced RV about the new Sprinter.

https://youtu.be/26ikUEU1B-8
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI another 19’ thread but based on the older chassis I guess? I think there is some discussion of the 2019 coming out.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ut-184567.html

Sorry to hear about your husband’s stroke.

Good luck in your search.

Peter

FYI
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
You are wise to consider waiting for the new Sprinter Chassis. There are big improvements in the cabin and driveability, LED headlamps, better seats, better infotainment systems, and the addition of their most advanced driver assistance packages; Active lane keeping, Active Distronic cruise control, etc. Whether Airstream chooses to incorporate all these goodies is TBD, but generally, they have been a leader in providing the top level safety options.

I wouldn't speculate on the specific appointments of the living area, as those are released piecemeal and vary by specific line, with the top end usually getting the best features but at a price (Grand Tour for example.) Perhaps we will see something new at the RV Supershow in Tampa in January. I don't expect to see a 2019 Sprinter though.

I am waiting to see which of venders offers the assistance packages but would lean toward Pleasure Way based on their build quality (individual build techs on each van, things like multiplex wiring, and yes, Lithium batteries).

Since Thor also now owns Hymer and Roadtrek brands, it will be interesting to see if they let them compete. They say they will leave them as separate entities. Roadtrek also seems to be catering to the top dollar customers so they too will likely offer the enhanced Sprinter technology. I think we are probably about 6-8 months out from seeing a real 2019/2020 van though.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzoo View Post
Hi,
....I noticed that the new 19’ Interstate has the Lagun table system, as do the new Pleasure Ways. I really dislike the present Interstate tables - any info on whether these will be standard across the Interstate line. ....
At least on that part of it, there is no need to wait for Airstream to act. You could either DIY or hire someone to install a Lagun for you - it's not that much work.

I DIY'd two Lagun receivers in our Interstate - one at the front of the van (passenger seat swivels around to face it - instructions here) and one in the rear (for use with the couches - instructions here). With two receivers, I can move the table top between the "office" and the "dining room". The table top hangs on the back of the wet bath door when not in use.

Front view, before I rounded the corners of my table top:

Rear of the van, pics taken after I had rounded the corners (much better for a swiveling table). Black velcro computer strap is attached to the perforated aluminum top with tiny nuts and bolts, and can be removed if necessary:

I had to pull Airstream's OEM table leg receiving cups out of the floor in the rear of the van, and cap those holes given that I no longer needed them (and they were interfering with carpet tiles I wanted to lay there). That was easily accomplished using thin pieces of sheet metal (these are covered by the carpet, so not visible during normal use):

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote