Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Replaced and repositioned speakers

As is shown here, I not only replaced the Clarion speakers with Polk Audio, but in the front of the trailer, moved them up to a vertical position rather than the bizarre Airstream placement where they blast you out when sitting in the loungers.

Airstream_Audio_TFL_06.03.2016 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

The original Clarion speakers are still in place on the lower surface, but not powered.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:58 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danecoyer View Post
So Keith, did your process destroy the clarion covers?. Do you have any photos of your replacement process?

No - the metal screens just pop out once you tug on them lightly with a dental pick or similar tool that can fit in the screen. I didn't take any photos since the grill removal was the only thing that didn't seem straightforward.

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
How to remove Clarion speaker grills?

One thing I realized I haven't mentioned in this thread was my discovery of why I didn't have much bass when playing movies via the BD player or my WDTV box versus music via my iPod through the head unit. The problem was when AS ( or maybe Samsung) modified the TV to have an analog output (to route back to the head unit aux input), they tapped off the TV speaker circuit which has a bass roll off to keep from blowing the tiny internal speakers.

My solution was to get a small DAC that is connected to the Toslink digital output on the TV and has RCA analog audio outputs. It is powered by a USB cable and is velcroed to the back of the TV. This way I can still use the TV speakeasy selecting internal vs external speakers in the TV audio menu.

I will post a link to the device I used shortly after I find it in my Amazon order history

UPDATE: Here's the device I used, it comes with a Toslink cable too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keith
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
subwoofer and Polks

I too replaced the Clarion speakers with Polk Audio speakers. Matched the four screw holes correctly. Use the screws provided with the Polks as Airstream used drywall screws to attach the Clarions. Broke three of them trying to get them out!

The sound is not five times better; it's ten times better! I replaced all four.

Just a note about the sub-woofer. It has a volume control on the box under the seat. Mine was turned all the way up. Buzzing, cracking and distorted. After turning it down a lot (the polks produce a very nice bass) the sub sounds much better. I will be replacing it with the Bazooka very soon, though.

I was worried that the Clarion amplifier/tuner was inferior, but it sounds very nice now.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I replaced the Clarion speakers with Infinity Reference ones, they work nicely. I also replaced that horrible sub with a bazooka 100w amplified one with remote.

https://www.southernaudioservices.co...Tube-P112.aspx

The sub works very well. Highly recommended. In my 25ft rear bed the sub fits nicely under the dinette seat near the door.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Clarification

After removing the airstream sub (Collins) i now see the sub has a freq and gain control. Making further adjustments help reduce the buzz. Its not a very suffisticated sub and my Bazooka is on its way.

Two screws remove it, under my dinnette seat. Take out the drawer to get at it.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
OMG, more chatting....LOL

Yup, lots of ways to get the sound better....but, one of the real difficult problems in an aluminum can is how we manage the second reflections which occur and if not dealt with, it makes almost no difference which speaker we install.

I suspect one of the reasons I find my current set up fairly nice sounding, even with the Crapion subwoofer turned off, is the elimination of the road side second reflections with my curtains/shades.
Serenity Curtains_Final_03.27.16 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Listening to music is highly subjective, but IMO I have a high quality system at home to compare to, so I think I am pretty critical, yet also make an attempt to be realistic in just how good the sound in the AS can be. FYI, at home I have NAD C 546BEE, Mark Levinson No.38 and 27.5, Totem Acoustic Element Metal speakers/Thunder II Sub. You can Google this to see what the sound might be like.

For a much better sound experience in a metal box, Grado headphones is what I will listen to instead of attempting to have sound quality while running uphill

Sent from the Lennox City Park Campground, Lennox, South Dakota
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 09-27-2016, 04:11 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Always like the Totems, but on tubes. For years I had a high end system (Air Tight ATM3, Aesthetix, Merlins) but it gathered dust until I sold it. Got back into headphones recently, and happy that you can get amazing sound without the footprint and $$$ of a 2 ch. system, plus not having to worry about the room.

Currently rocking a Woo WA22 tube amp, Audeze LCD3's and taking delivery of my first high end turntable (VPI Prime) in 20 years. Vinyl is cool again!

In the AS, agree on the cost/benefit analysis of upgrades. Replacing speakers with some reasonable speakers/sub is a cheap and effective way, without going nuts and having a difficult and costly wiring upgrade. It makes watching movies more enjoyable with the family too. If I wanted high end in the AS, like you I'd bring my headphones and high rez portable player with me.

(Note to Airforums readers who think the the product references in both our posts above are gibberish - they are audiophile code words to signify we are pretty serious and addicted to high end sound. The system MS moto describes for his home is greater than what many here may have spent on their vintage Bambi restoration.)
Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Still on Clarion grills?

I hope the kidnapping of this thread is not causing distress to anyone. High end audio is as much an addiction as the whole AS phenomenon.

To continue with the "music in an AS" I had the pleasure to purchase eight 33 1/3rd LP's yesterday from a thrift store...had to spend $0.85....all are with no scratches, although a couple may have been played too many times to have much left. Also, purchased about fifteen CD's, some in original factory packaging...oh, had to go with another $19.00...

Turntable...I will not go with one in my AS...LOL, but a Bluesound Vault 2 is being considered. Any thoughts? Have they solved the problem of not reading all discs?

Back to the Clarion issue.... I am of the impression the actual head unit is not so bad, except for the mystery of how to input the various control functions...But, even with a rebuilding of the subwoofer, this may have to go....about all it does is provide a dull thump....

VPI Prime turntable......very nice. Actually, very, very nice. I am using an old Yamaha P-750 with new Shure cartridge, but may have to jump into the stratosphere with something like the VPI.

And, the Totem Acoustic Element Metal...with the subs, I have clean sound down to 20 Hz, and the detail is better than the Magico's I listened to. For those listening who have no idea what we are discussing here, some of us like a sweet, more "round" sound, others more of a crispy sound. The critical issue in speakers is placement and my Totem's are set up nearly four feet into the room, the result is a detailed yet very round, sweet sound which IMO can be a live performance when I close my eyes...as is the usual listening. I now have a fore and aft sound stage in addition to right/left. And, for those who like organ music, as in live, cranking up good speakers will do it.

In an AS, none of this is possible unless one completely modifies the interior, most likely covering the aluminum with thick anti-resonant material which will allow clean reproduction of music.

My apologies for getting slightly off, but the point is, one cannot make changes in an AS which allows the same listening as a well done home set up.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 09-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Well said. In an AS, the sound quality improvements are iterative, and noticeable but not true high end. The difference is comparable to moving from a pair of Apple ear buds to a pair of Bose. Most consumers will like the sound but those with more experience in higher sound quality will be only mildly satisfied.

On the vinyl, nice score! I enjoy music so much more when shopping for vinyl. Consider a ProJect Carbon debut table with Ortofon blue cartridge and a good $400 phono stage as a great starter to good vinyl
Lara Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Vinyl...

One more grab at an auction in South Dakota... 26 LP's, six unopened, all but two with no surface defects, total cost $2.87. Content....well, lots of Polka stuff, but about five or six old western vocalists....

Sometimes the old less popular albums offer a very unique listening experience, expanding my understanding of the various musics genres.

And, if it works out, will get these into a high level digital storage device, one which I can carry with me in the AS.

Oh, yes, my current configuration has NAD C 546BEE, Yamaha P-750, Shure M97xE, NAD PP4, Mark Levinson No. 38, Mark Levinson No. 27.5, Belden 1800F Balanced, Canare 4S11 Bi-Wire Cables, BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables, Totem Acoustics Element Metal, Totem Acoustics Thunder II Sub and in the past McIntosh 4280, NAD L810's, Quad ESL 63's, Finnish Subwoofer Stands, Vandersteen Subs, Theta Data Series II Lasar Disc Transport and DAC
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 09-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
I hope the kidnapping of this thread is not causing distress to anyone ...

My apologies for getting slightly off
Slightly off topic??
Old 09-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe it is socioeconomic level, but I have always been pleased with mid-level brands of audio equipment- Pioneer, Sony, Marantz, JBL, Onkyo, Denon, Technics, Boston Acoustics-
I have gotten to a point if I had to give up all my audio gear I wouldn't miss it.
Trouble is how do you go about getting rid of it?
Who wants a bunch of old school stereo equipment and thousands of LP records and CDs?
Who would appreciate my lifelong collection of now seemingly worthless stuff that once meant so much to me?
Sometimes I think it would be best to have one of those auction companies come and sell everything like at estate sales, but I am still very much alive- just overwhelmed with stuff and clutter that can't be hauled in an Airstream trailer.
The days of internet, MP3s, Spotify, and Pandora have totally changed how we listen to music. Now I have 6,000+ songs in my iPhone with the capacity for many more.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
...can't seem to fit the Martin Logans or the Carver Sunfire with ALSs in the AS ... what do we do with an old Tascam 44 ... boat anchor??? Reeeely now !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Real sound in an Airstream

It has been mentioned, I think, about someone listening to their music with headphones when out in their AS. This is most likely the best way for one individual to get good sound when in one of our beautiful aluminum boxes.

For speakers to give excellent sound, as in medium to high end audio, they need to be placed correctly in any listening venue, and the room needs proper treatment. Headphones solve all the problems of speakers, grilles, modifications, etc., except when multiple folks are listening....but even this can be solved if one uses multiple headphones. For just background music, television sound, the Clarions or the easy replacement Polk Audio, as I used are quite adequate....IMO
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 10-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
As to speakers on the underside of the cabinets (and assuming four speakers in the lounge/kitchen), the "effect" is best when standing. And works well otherwise (going back over forty years). It's also good with windows open and when one is outside (doesn't quite blast the neighbors; but the sub needs be off).

Not so hot in the bedroom, granted, where firing upwards from bedside works well.

Secondary reflections might best be handled with one of the space or room dynamic analyzers.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The speakers in the older Classics are mounted on the side walls in the living room firing in toward the middle of the trailer, but they are behind the pleated curtain.
The speakers in the bedroom are mounted in the wardrobe closets on either side of the bed firing in to the center of the bed.
The sub is under the couch along the front wall in the center.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
How to remove Clarion speaker grills?

Should have clarified that my experience has been with Silver Streak. Four lounge area speakers firing downwards can be adjusted -- even in the old days (Lear Stereo, anyone?) -- to provide a good soundstage.

No need to shut the door or the jalousie windows, in general.

Set up camp on a Saturday with The Metropolitan Opera.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
One solution for bedroom

Here is one solution for the bedroom television.

TV moved up, Bose computer speakers installed running from TV by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Alana_Mods_Phase_I_11.21.14-4 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

These are actually computer speakers, but improve the sound from the television immensely..... If one looks carefully you will see the power supply for the speakers below the television plug in. But, one must first modify the actual 120v plug, this being to cut the holes in the cover plate so as to allow the plug to go in. The contacts are already present behind the plastic.

Oh, yes, the television has been moved higher about two feet. Makes viewing so much more pleasant.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 11-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
...can't seem to fit the Martin Logans or the Carver Sunfire with ALSs in the AS ... what do we do with an old Tascam 44 ... boat anchor??? Reeeely now !

Wonderful thread diversion everyone !

Speaking of a round sound, if we loose the oven (don't use it much) We could install our TEAC TASCAM 50 Series "half track". Serial #1 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1478448137.993274.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	274897Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1478448162.151721.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	274898
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 10 spd 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote