Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2015, 04:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
2015 International / Clarion / Samsung Questions

I am exploring the audio / visual components of my new 2015 AS 28' International and have a few questions.

1) Is there a sub-woofer factory installed in this model and if so, where is it?

2) Is the bedroom Samsung TV HDMI cable connected to the Samsung Blue Ray player via a duplex HDMI connector (or directly) and if so, should I receive the same video/audio signal from the player that I see and hear on my main Samsung TV?

3) Why did AS choose the Clarion radio given it's complexity?

4) Has anyone mastered the Clarion radio and might be willing to offer user advice?

Thanks as any help will be appreciated!
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
1. I am sure there is a subwoofer, but I am not sure where it would be in the 28ft. in the 25FCRB it is under the dinette next to the front door.

2.Yes. there is a splitter from the BR player so both TVs can show the same BR output.

3. I have no idea, sound quality is ok though.

4. I just used the remote but eventually replaced the unit as t is a PIA to use.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
In my 2012 28' the Subwoofer is under the L sofa just forward of the water heater.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
1) Yes, but on the 28 I have no idea where it is. But, once you find it, install a switch on the power to it, or when boondocking it kills your battery....in my experience of my 2015 manufactured in May 2014.

2) My Blue Ray player will play through my bedroom TV if i make certain the TV has the correct source chosen.

3) No one knows...but most likely it was the least expensive one they could find. I think Clarion has discontinued this unit and replaced one with real buttons.

4) Yes, but the information is proprietary.....LOL

Actually, I can use mine without going to the manual, but only after about two months attempting to learn at an hour per day...sort of........ To program the presets...use remote. To change the source, also remote seems easiest. To change channel...mine has Sirius/XM, the mystery knob on the unit is best. To change the memory bands, again with Sirius/XM, either the remote or knob works.

I think if one sits down with the manual, goes through each section slowly, playing with the various ways of pressing the knob, and various remote buttons, it is possible to use. And, I have pretty much given up the murderous thoughts about the person/s in JC who decided on this absolutely ridiculous POC.

In general, however, in RV's there seems to be a total lack of understanding of audio engineering when placing speakers, choosing components, etc. Placing the speakers shooting downward.....what idiot came up with this......In the recliners one can only hear one channel. In the room all the high notes are gone as they are directional.

FYI, my home audio equipment includes the words Mark Levinson on the components....pre amp, amps, etc. I used to have Quad ESL-61's, ( I think that was the model)

So, one item to change in the AS, I changed out all the speakers with Polk Audio, also glued in high density foam in behind these to stabilize the mount, improves the sound immensely.

Good luck,
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
Dave: Thanks. I had a look and there it is, exactly as you said. I am unable to determine if it is working in conjunction with the FM Clarion Radio as I feel no vibration or sense any sound. I do see what look like two volume controls which do nothing when turned from end to end. I have no way to know if it's connected because I have not yet mastered the Clarion radio controls.

MSMOTO: My bedroom TV is apparently not connected to the Samsung Blu Ray Player and since I have no idea as to where the various HDMI connectors (anybody know where I can find them) I expect this will be a dealer fix.

As for learning the Clarion controls, I might just be a little too old to greet the day when I know what I am doing.

Thanks all. I am still open to advice ......
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
If there is an HDMI cable going into your bedroom TV, it would be from the Blu Ray player. Nothing else would be feeding an HDMI signal to the rear TV.

If so, make sure the HDMI cable is fully seated into the HDMI connector in the TV, mine has a tendency to dislodge when traveling or when I reposition the screen.

Note the label for the connector on the TV and make sure you are selecting that input from the remote.

Can't speak about the Clarion radio, but the Sony radio used on my 2013 was not easy to control either.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
I swapped out the 22" Samsung for a Vizio 24" LED. Much better TV, but now the sound doesn't go through AUX in the M502. Any advice? I see the Samsung had RCA jacks so assume they rigged it somehow. Thank you!
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If the Samsung had RCA audio (red/white) jacks then its just a matter of plugging in the same cables to the audio out RCA jacks on the back of the Visio. Make sure they aren't plugged into audio in jacks on the Vizio, if it has them.

Kelvin
Old 02-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Above you got everything that we have learned so far. We appreciate the Samsung unit as it is same as home TV. One system better than several. We really use the TV for videos to dodge the commercials. The stereo is an utter mystery, even after time spent with the manual. But then there is the draw of adventure that takes a higher priority. Keep thinking it is a great learning opportunity for a cold wet rainy day, week, or lifetime. This training might well be a business opportunity. Certainly is excellent "how to" video material. Ought to go viral the first day. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Rapid City , South Dakota
The Samsung has RCA cables actually hanging from the middle of it out of a small hole in the back of TV. It is weird, as I have never seen anything like this before and have had my share of TVs. I am thinking I have to take back of TV panel off the Samsung to see what they are actually part of.
Chick Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Airstream modifies the TV by connecting a cable to the speaker wires for the output to their head unit. This is not like any audio out jacks from the TV OEM. I have learned to live with it.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Sounds like Airstream had to splice into the speaker wires in the case to create a set of audio out. Do the wires coming out of the TV have RCA jacks (red/white) that are plugged into another set of RCA jacks? With the Vizio you would need a short RCA extension to connect into the Airstream audio cable.

That is crazy for Airstream to purchase TVs that didn't have audio out jacks.

Kelvin
Old 02-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
As Larry noted, the red and white RCA plugs hanging out of the back of the Samsungs are after market adds by AS, and they connect to red and white RCA plugs that enter the wall. Another option to get TV speaker sound to the head is to use the headphone audio out plug on the back of the Samsung using a mini plug to RCA adapter, available for cheap online. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We have a 25 FC Fb 2015. This thread is helping but we have further TV questions. We read the directions for auto programming and the booster button. We were traveling with another AS couple. At one of our stops cable was available. They got 64 channels to ptogram. We got 5 all were spanish. We have subsequently tried and 50some. We got 4. Any thoughts for us. Yes we did all the correct things with the booster button. How does one check any connections at the tv in lounge area. So bolted directly the wall. How the heck do you get the TV off of there to check. Can't get evev a finger back there. Help

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
We have a 25 FC Fb 2015. This thread is helping but we have further TV questions. We read the directions for auto programming and the booster button. We were traveling with another AS couple. At one of our stops cable was available. They got 64 channels to ptogram. We got 5 all were spanish. We have subsequently tried and 50some. We got 4. Any thoughts for us. Yes we did all the correct things with the booster button. How does one check any connections at the tv in lounge area. So bolted directly the wall. How the heck do you get the TV off of there to check. Can't get evev a finger back there. Help

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Be sure to turn off the power to the TV antenna when switching over to a cable feed.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Oh, yes, the TV

As I have gone through many hours of trying to get this all figured out, I will offer some thoughts......

First, booster off when on cable as you have done. Make certain the cable feed actually is working....like if possible hook your input to another cable feed from someone else's site.

Check the source button on the TV and make certain it is correct....try them all if unsure.

Make certain your cable connection is to the cable female connection on the trailer exterior and not on the satellite input. If this does not work, try the other connection as it may have been wired improperly at JC.

To get the Television off the mount, look behind and you should see an "L" shaped silver colored piece about an inch long, attached near the top of the bracket by a small bolt/screw. Loosen this and rotate the "L" bracket to one side and the television should fall forward....have another person hold the television to avoid it falling over and breaking. Once this falls forward a couple inches it should lift out of the bracket.

Check all the connections before replacing and reinstalling the "L" piece. Incidentally, the "L" piece cannot be installed after placing the set into the bracket, one has to have it up, loose and rotated to one side, then replace the set.

Also, sometimes the cables are not well connected so, I usually spray a bit of electrical contact cleaner/lubricant on the connections and reconnect them.

Good luck,
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote