Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Fort Collins , Colorado
Need help with fresh water tank hook up!

Hi all!

I'm trying to get my recently purchased 1973 Tradewind ready for camping this summer and have a plumbing question. The question I have is related to the fresh water holding tank/water pump. The hose hook up/plumbing is fine.

See the attached photo of the current plumbing to/from the fresh water tank located beneath the flooring underneath the sink. This is the current set up but it seems wrong to me.

Which of these holes (1-5) should be used for what? I'm assuming the fresh water inlet is correct (4), but shouldn't the pipe going to the water pump be the bottom one (3)? But that also makes sense to be the drain for it, too. It also doesn't make sense why there are currently two pipes connecting and going to the water pump (1 and 2).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream plumbing.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	395005  
yoopersafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
You are correct on the fill tube (4) and the line to your pump should be (3). Perhaps a prior owner(s) used (2) or (1) as a inlet from city water (with a shut off valve) to refill the tank.

I would guess the tank is not designed specifically for your trailer and was adapted by a PO.

Are any of those hoses rated for potable water? Just wondering.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thanks for the reply!

If 3 should be the line to the pump and 4 is correct as the fill tube, what would 1 and 2 be used for normally? Or should I just plug them and forget about it? Do I need a drain hole on the bottom or can I just pump out all the water at the end of the season?

Based on the manual and other threads I've looked at, I think the tank it actually original to the the trailer. But I could be wrong.

I don't think any of the hoses are rated for potable water. They all look pretty old. Could be wrong about this as well, though.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Looks upside down. After flipping...

1 and 2, the lowest, should go to water pump and to drain. Overflow/air inlet should be 3, at top. Fresh water fill should be one of the larger ones (4 or 5). Pick the one that is the highest.
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thanks! That actually makes a lot of sense. I bet you're right that it should've been installed the other way around. But I unfortunately don't have the option of flipping it. Any suggestions for making it work as is?
Old 05-07-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopersafari View Post
Thanks for the reply!

If 3 should be the line to the pump and 4 is correct as the fill tube, what would 1 and 2 be used for normally? Or should I just plug them and forget about it? Do I need a drain hole on the bottom or can I just pump out all the water at the end of the season?

Based on the manual and other threads I've looked at, I think the tank it actually original to the the trailer. But I could be wrong.

I don't think any of the hoses are rated for potable water. They all look pretty old. Could be wrong about this as well, though.
3 has a tee, where do both lines go? I assume towards the back of the trailer. Sometimes drain valves/lines are away from the tank. Might as well find out where all the lines go and where valves are situated for future reference.

For now I'd also see where 1 and 2 go and what they're connected to, if anything. That may determine if you should plug or leave as is for now. Once you know where all the lines lead, I'd do a pressure test (preferably with air) to make sure there aren't any leaks.

Our thread:
Old 05-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Fort Collins , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
3 has a tee, where do both lines go? I assume towards the back of the trailer. Sometimes drain valves/lines are away from the tank. Might as well find out where all the lines go and where valves are situated for future reference.

For now I'd also see where 1 and 2 go and what they're connected to, if anything. That may determine if you should plug or leave as is for now. Once you know where all the lines lead, I'd do a pressure test (preferably with air) to make sure there aren't any leaks.

Thanks for the reply. For 3, one line is a drain that runs through the floor and the other line isn't running to anything at the moment. I suppose it might make sense to leave it as a tee and run that open line to the pump.

1 and 2 are also running to nowhere right now. I'm assuming they were running to the pump before but I don't know for sure. I don't know what else they would've been used for? Might make sense to just plug them.

Good call on the pressure test! How do you test with air?
Old 05-08-2021, 11:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Usually with an adaptor to attach to your city water inlet and an air compressor. You don't need a lot of pressure (30 to 50 psi). The idea is to leave it for a few hours and see if the pressure remains steady. Here is an example of the adaptor.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36153-B...35320602&psc=1

Here's a recent post where he made his own.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...ve-219831.html

Our thread: