Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #1

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Haven , Michigan
Fresh water tank fills when hook up to city water

Hi, we just picked up a 2008 Safari 25FB two weeks ago. When we hook up to city water, our fresh water tank fills to overflowing. Is there a by-pass valve that is open? Where should I look? Any help would be appreciated. Aren't Airstreams cool?
Jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
Hi, we just picked up a 2008 Safari 25FB two weeks ago. When we hook up to city water, our fresh water tank fills to overflowing. Is there a by-pass valve that is open? Where should I look? Any help would be appreciated. Aren't Airstreams cool?
Water is back flowing through your pump. It has something stuck in it keeping the valves open or the valves have failed.
You will need a new pump. and a check valve after the pump so it does not see city water pressure would help.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
Here is a good diagram I came across a while ago. Maybe this will help you dissect the problem. I agree it sounds like a check valve problem.

Water, Water, Everywhere!

Good Luck
Joe
UpNorthAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Water pump

Quote:
When we hook up to city water, our fresh water tank fills to overflowing.
The water pump is suppose to, if installed correctly, also serve as a check valve. It keeps the water from flowing that direction.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Call the dealer. Make a list of all the issues and take it in. The more you find the fewer your trips to the dealer to get everthing right.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Hi wp

After it's repaired you might check your city w/press, and install a regulator. Have heard of high pressure causing a pump failure.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #7
_

. , .
hi jonah and welcome to the forums...

yep it's under warranty so the fix shouldn't cost more than the trip to the dealer...

construction debris can become stuck inside the pump and lead to this issue OR the back flow feature can fail...

lots of back flow failures on the model pump in question...

so many that i think a/s recently switched to a different model pump as oem...

here is another thread on the same issue, and the details may help u some...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...h20-21678.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cazenovia , New York
Yes you are right...Streams are cool. I have an '08 25FB and also enjoy it . I did put a regulator on my city water and have not experienced water passing through the pump. I wish you many happy miles and great adventures. Randy Miller
arm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cazenovia , New York
Cowboy....

Just in case you wondered how long I have been taken by Airstreams.....I am the little cowboy in the middle of my avatar...some 50 years ago...my dad did all the early photography for Airstream and I still go back to some of the great locations...and relive wonderful times.....Randy
arm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums, Jonah! Yes, Airstreams are cool...you'll find no argument on that here... Once your water issues are taken care of, it will be even cooler...

Glad you could join us AS Crazies.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Jonah, congratulations on your new investment and welcome to the Forum!

On anything with as many parts as an AS TT, I would expect to have a few items needing attention. Do a walk through with your family and make a list of everything you think isn't right, however small it seems.

Then, make a copy of the list and do the same walk through with your dealer's Customer Service person.

Maybe some of your items are things you just don't understand yet, but for sure you'll have some stuff needing attention. Your list will speed up getting them all attended to, and will be handy for you to follow up.

It's the start of your Maintenance Log! Mazel Tov and enjoy!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #12

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Haven , Michigan
Thank you everyone. It is also cool to have so many people care about each other.
Jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I thought the '08's (and maybe before) had a built in pressure regulator. There seems to be a vague reference to one in some materials that come with the trailer, though I can't remember where. I use a separate regulator since I'm not sure if there is a built-in one. And a regulator can fail though a good check valve on the pump should not let water pass through. Anyway, ask the dealer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Well my daughters 72 Safari did that so I installed a new pump.. Still does it.. Any ideas???
Old 09-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by arm4 View Post
Just in case you wondered how long I have been taken by Airstreams.....I am the little cowboy in the middle of my avatar...some 50 years ago...my dad did all the early photography for Airstream and I still go back to some of the great locations...and relive wonderful times.....Randy
Randy, that is my favorite Airstream picture! It reminds me of the Mickey Mouse Mousketeers and my Annie Oakley cowgirl outfit. Which cowboy are you? I want to get an autographed card or print from you and hear much much more. You should start a thread. Seems the makings of a real good series of Airstream articles. You are a celebrity. We have all looked at your picture so many times.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
If you install a "check valve" on the output of the water pump, the problem will be solved. Use the "brass type."

Built in check valves in water pumps, are not very reliable, even when new.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Jonah
I'd give her a little spin rite to the factory U are not that far away.COME ON DOWN. Them Guys would be glad to fix er fer ya. NoCharge Id bet.Besides were friendly folks down here.We do good work too, most times.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Check the Systems Panel?

I am not familiar with newer AS models (ours is a '92) but I sometimes accidentally turn on the "Auto Fill" switch on the system panel and I end up with the tank filling then overflowing. Could this be the problem?

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote