Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
Kaintuck

2017 30' Flying Cloud
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Drinking Water

Drinking Water - When you are at a campground, do you purchase and drink only bottle water or do you drink the campground water? If you drink the campground water, do you have a water purification system or water filtration system? If so, which manufacture do you recommend? Is your system external of your RV or internal?
rscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I use a Seagull IV system. This unit has a small stainless steel filter container that fits under the lavatory sink in our 22FB Sport. We use it for campground water and also for water from the fresh tank when dry camping. It is not cheap, but does an excellent job and because each filter can do up to 1,000 gal, using it for only the drinking water and cooking, coffee, tea etc., you can likely get several seasons out of one replacement filter.

There is a small faucet for drinking water. I added a PEX 'T' with a valve in the cold water line and the systems just threads onto it. (I have the valve for easily removing the unit for winterizing.)

The water tastes as good or better than bottled water and saves the weight and expense of having to buy bottled water. We also use a Soda Stream for making carbonated water and soft drinks, again saving weight and space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seagull iv x-1F.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	268295

It meets the EPA guide standard protocol for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses as well as removing chemical and aesthetic contaminants including herbicides, pesticides, chlorine and foul tastes, odors and colors, for great tasting water on demand.

I also pre-filter the water entering the tank to remove any sediments and some tastes and smells from the campground water too, but use the Seagull IV mainly for it's ability to remove bacteria, viruses and cysts.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
While traveling/camping in our AS, we bring along our 3 gallon model of the Waterwise 7000 distiller system to make absolutely pure drinking/cooking/ice/etc water. Distilling removes all doubts about water purity. Distilling removes everything that isn't H2O; this includes removing the chlorine that is intentionally added to most water supplies. Chlorine kills all lifeforms very effectively, but begs the question: Why ingest a poison, even in very small doses, when you don't need to?

http://www.waterwise.com/productcart/pc/7000.asp

Many folks choose to use a filtering system, and a *good* filtering system should be considered your minimal first line of defense against possible contaminated water. We always use a filter for all the incoming water whether destined to the distiller or used for showering/flushing (blue-cylinder type, available everywhere) and connect it right at the CG's hose-bibb connection. Boil your filtered drinking water if there are still *any* doubts, but keep in mind that while boiling long enough will kill microscopic lifeforms and it also tends to neutralize much of what their life processes produce, boiling does not remove the "mortal remains", nor remove any molecular- or atom size minerals, elements, or any other dissolved or suspended solids that routinely make it past even very good filters.
rsjmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I drink the campground water. Have been doing this for more than 30 years and haven't had a problem. I do have an exterior filter and a second one in the faucet. I don't think these do much more than remove basic contaminates.

When we boondock I bring water from home in a couple of 5 gallon totes that I fill with my garden hose from an outside spigot. Yeah, living on the edge, I know. I also fill my tanks with the same hose and drink directly out of the on board tanks.

That said, we did camp at a private campground just south of the Redwoods many years ago and the water there was so full of iron the taste was really unacceptable. And another time we were exposed to some rather high sulphur content and the smell was hard to get by. At those times we did get some bottled water to see us through. In 30+ years these two situation were easy enough to work around. No need in my opinion to purchase an expensive filtering/distilling system. The water in the US is very good but my experience is mainly in the Pacific Northwest where we do have clean and abundant water. YMMV
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
This is my first trailer but I have had several boats with water systems. I just simply do not like the plastic taste. I bring a few gallons of fresh water for coffee and drinking. I use the camp or onboard water for showers and dish washing.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've been drinking campground water since I started trailer camping in the 1970's. I'm still here ;-)
I'll have to admit some of it smelled and tasted pretty bad, especially around the coastal areas of the southern and eastern US (it's the norm there).

add edit:
I started using an external filter about 20 years ago, not for purification but because of sand and debris that comes through the pipes of water systems. I did the same at my house water system.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Save the Planet... refill a water bottle with local water

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I started using an external filter about 20 years ago, not for purification but because of sand and debris that comes through the pipes of water systems. I did the same at my house water system.
'ditto'. We are drawing water from a 484 foot deep well in Colorado.

Water drawn from the Cretaceous tastes like City Water with salt added. Water drawn from the Tertiary 'can' surpass any bottled water and, at times, good IPA Beer. Know your geology and you are on your way to understand water.

Only in America would people be worried about water sources and supplies. Drinking urban water might be more dangerous than well water in the less populated portions of the country. Travel rural areas of the World and you will have a better understanding how foolish we may be.

Rocky Mountain States and the Northern Great Plains have wonderful underground aquifers providing fresh water. Except for water quality near feed lots, most water supplies exceed quality of those in major metropolitan areas. (Detroit is an example, but they created their own problems.)

You must be aware of your surroundings when using local water resources, but even bucketing river water for use at a National Forest Service employee cabin without running water... I only suffer from a wild imagination, drinking such water as a youth.

It must have been because of the water. I have no other explanation.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Although I would be pretty sure that campground water is fine to drink from a health perspective, we use an activated carbon filter on the water hose anyway.

But even so, we usually take 5 gallons of filtered water from home with us and use it for drinking /cooking.

If we are away long enough to use it all, then of possible we refill the 5 gallon container with R.O. water - very inexpensive and available at many supermarkets etc. Packs of 24 bottles are another option.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The PO left us the GE filter he bought for it and we've used that for a couple of years. We use an approved hose to connect CG spigot to one side, the other side goes to the AS water inlet. No complaints. I have some 12 gauge copper wire that I use to hang the filter from the spigot, pretty simple.

On a fishing trip to Canada, 8 of us drank water from the kitchen tap for 2 days, ice for the drinks too. The owner was there one day and said " you know that water is right from the lake, don't you?". Well no, there was no sign and he never said. None of us got sick. They must have good lake water up there

http://www.geappliances.com/ge/water...on-systems.htm
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We use a Camco inline filter on the water hose connected to campgrounds water supply. We also have a Delta water faucet that has a PUR filter. We carry water bottles sometimes but they are a pain to carry and I feel guilty throwing bottles away if the campground doesn't recycle.

Kelvin
Old 05-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I just finished installing...though expensive it’s the best for purifying your water...it’s also pretty!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6A8B8A64-8822-434A-928D-027283B268E0.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	395090  
Old 05-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I defer to W.C. Fields
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wc1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	395110   Click image for larger version

Name:	wc2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	395111  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
^ Yes, for over 10 years.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Just as Adventure.AS and s1000pre, we use a Seagull (General Ecology, Inc.) filter. Ours happens to be one of the old versions which has a plastic instead of stainless steel body. Fortunately, the company still sells the filter inserts for the plastic body. It uses the same spout as the newer stainless steel body.

We originally installed the filter not for safety, but to have good tasting water and coffee and for some cooking. Over the many years with the filter, we have never been disappointed. Coffee and water do taste great. We have no other filter for other water usage in the trailer. I will say that occasional flushing of our hot water tank has yielded lots of calcareous deposits from hard water.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote