Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #1
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Fridge Condenser Fan Temp Sensor Location

I installed a new cooling unit last fall, and it really seems to perform well. When I bought it from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse it was recommended that I install a pair of fans aimed at the condenser fins on the cooling unit to aid in hot temperature cooling.

The fans came with a digital controller which has a temp. sensor. The sensor can be used to monitor either the ambient temp behind the fridge or it can be mounted on the cooling unit itself. The sensor is to turn on the fans only when needed so they don't needlessly consume power.

These fans are being mounted directly under the condensing fins and are intended to direct airflow across the fins to aid in removing the heat from them.

Questions I have are:

1) Is it better to use ambient temps or the cooling unit temps to determine when the fans come on? My hunch is that it's better to measure the temp of the cooling unit tubes, so that the fans only come on when the unit is actively cooling.

2) Where to mount the temp sensor? If measuring ambient temps, I assume somewhere about 3/4 of the way up the cavity behind the fridge. But I'm leaning towards mounting it on the cooling unit and can't figure out where to mount it.

The minimal instructions talk about mounting it on the absorption coil tubing just above the boiler, and seems to indicate that that area will be about 95 degrees when the unit is running. Does this sound correct?

Are there other options for where to mount the sensor that might be better?

3) What temp settings should be used to control the on/off for the fans?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Here's what I did. I put the sensor in between two of the condenser tubes and mine turns on at 95 degrees fahrenheit. In cooler weather I turn the thermostat off and if it's really hot I prop the access door open for better air flow. - Brad https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ml#post2386494
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Mine came with a noisy condenser fan that was pointed at a snap disc thermostat located on the condenser. I could see where when they installed it they stripped out the hole on the first attempt then had to move it to get another try at it which resulted in the fan being crooked and pointing at the thermostat. I replaced with 2 quiet fans and aimed them straight up but not at the thermostat and I kept the thermostat right where it was originally installed. I installed an aquarium thermometer inside the coach with the probe mounted to the top of the outside condenser coils, my fans come on around 115-120F and shut off around 110-112F as measured at the top left side of the coil when looking at the rear of the unit which, according to my research, is optimal.
I also installed 2 slow moving fans to the top vent which are also thermostatically controlled by my Fridge Defend. The sensor for these is attached to the absorber coil, not the condenser. I did a lot of research and made a lot of improvements and if you are interested I can share.
First pic is original fan, second is new but I can't find a pic of the 2 new fans mounted.
Note I also installed both sets of fans with 3 way toggle switches located in the compartment whereby I can set them either ON, OFF or AUTO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gasvent1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	413239   Click image for larger version

Name:	new Noctura fans.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	413240