Old 08-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Dash AC condenser fan switch

I'm getting the Dash A/C working on my 1992 AS P30 based 36' Land Yacht. All new O-rings are installed and the system was drawn down to -30psi vacuum. It held vacuum for several days while waiting for additional parts to arrive. I'm keeping it R-12 since I'm sitting on a case of 14oz cans. I've charged the system and inserted UV dye and some Red Angel stop leak as a preventive measure. Everything seems to be working good except for the condenser fan. Seems to never turn on. I checked it out and found the fan to be functional but it seems that the dual contact pressure switch located near the receiver/drier never closes on the fan side. The switch closes on the compressor clutch side but not the fan. If I short out the connector going to the fan relay, the fan will turn on and run normally so I know the fan relay is working.

My question is two fold:
Does anyone know what pressure the fan contacts should close at or does anyone know of a source for a replacement switch?

Is there any problem with just bypassing the switch and have the condenser fan come whenever the engine is running/ignition is on?

Was thinking of putting in a bypass toggle switch to turn on the fan manually. Leaving it on except for the rare instance of turning on the ignition and not starting the engine.

Here is a picture of the actual switch. Note the new receiver/drier:

and here are the connectors that come from the switch:

The connector going in the up direction, that's currently connected, goes to the AC compressor clutch. The one going horizontal that's not connected goes to the fan relay. Shorting the connector across from it will engage the fan.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote