Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2021, 08:14 PM   #1

2020 27' Globetrotter
Scottsdale , AZ
2020 Globetrotter weatherstripping

Hello, this is my first time to reach out thru the forum. I purchased my 2020 Globetrotter 27FBT in December of 2020. I stayed in it for the first time just a week ago. I awoke during the night to a draft coming up the inside wall next to the bed. The next day I pulled the mattress out to have a look and found a gap the entire length of the bed. I then went outside and open the lockers on each side of the unit. From the inside I see the sun shining up the interior walls. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m shocked the manufacturer would allow their product to leave the factory without a quality seal installed. Not only is this a large gap for cold air to get in but I’m concerned about critters as well. I’m sure I can figure out a way to install a good seal but I want to know if this workmanship is typical with Airstream and if so what else do I need to be aware of? As a new Owner this is an eye opener. I’m disappointed that I need to get involved with repairs to my new Airstream. It’s also difficult to drive 300 miles to have a dealer install weatherstripping, even if it’s under warranty. So in the 4-months I’ve owned my Airstream, it’s been in the dealers shop for 8-weeks for minor warranty work. Got it out of the shop and went directly to a state park for one night. The next morning I discovered the stove and fridge would not work on propane and found the gap along both beds. My Scottsdale Airstream Service Department experience has been awful and that’s why I would need to drive 300 miles to Tucson Lazy Days. Sorry for the rant but it’s been a rough way to start out..
Phil Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Phil, welcome to the Airstream Community and Forums.

I’m sorry to hear about your issues. It’s unfortunate but most of us have found one or more thing that needed attention; some worse than others.

I fixed anything I could myself and accumulated a punch list of major items and took a trip to Jackson Center to have them fix those (frame separation, ripples in flooring, sink dropped from Corian countertop).

I understand you’re a lot farther away from the factory than my 5 hour drive which is unfortunate. Hopefully your local dealer can take care of things for you.

Regarding your issue around the bed, there should be a piece of foam weatherstripping around the edge of the plywood between the inside skin. It’s something you could pick up from a home center and install yourself. Yes, you shouldn’t have to but you’ll solve the problem and learn about your trailer while at it.

At some point your trailer will be out of warranty and you’ll want to know how to fix things yourself - most of us do. What better time to get ahead of the curve?

Good luck and enjoy your Globetrotter!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #3

2020 27' Globetrotter
Scottsdale , AZ
I’m reassessing my approach to RVing..my health requires it. ��

Thanks For your feedback Jeff.

2021 Ram 2500 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Old 04-22-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rossi View Post
Hello, this is my first time to reach out thru the forum. I purchased my 2020 Globetrotter 27FBT in December of 2020. I stayed in it for the first time just a week ago. I awoke during the night to a draft coming up the inside wall next to the bed. The next day I pulled the mattress out to have a look and found a gap the entire length of the bed. I then went outside and open the lockers on each side of the unit. From the inside I see the sun shining up the interior walls. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m shocked the manufacturer would allow their product to leave the factory without a quality seal installed. Not only is this a large gap for cold air to get in but I’m concerned about critters as well. I’m sure I can figure out a way to install a good seal but I want to know if this workmanship is typical with Airstream and if so what else do I need to be aware of? As a new Owner this is an eye opener. I’m disappointed that I need to get involved with repairs to my new Airstream. It’s also difficult to drive 300 miles to have a dealer install weatherstripping, even if it’s under warranty. So in the 4-months I’ve owned my Airstream, it’s been in the dealers shop for 8-weeks for minor warranty work. Got it out of the shop and went directly to a state park for one night. The next morning I discovered the stove and fridge would not work on propane and found the gap along both beds. My Scottsdale Airstream Service Department experience has been awful and that’s why I would need to drive 300 miles to Tucson Lazy Days. Sorry for the rant but it’s been a rough way to start out..
Hi Phil Rossi,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 04-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #5

2020 27' Globetrotter
Scottsdale , AZ
Weatherstripping

Phil Rossi
Pilot1az@gmail.com
Vin #552669

FYI.. Privet messaging to your account will not work..