Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hillsboro , Oregon
Restoring my door handle

I'm restoring my Bargman L-77 lock and handle. The inside of the mechanism is caked with greasy dirt that needs more than dish soap and a toothbrush. Is there anything I can soak it in? The exterior is shinier than my trailer, so I'm not certain if it's aluminum.

After it's all clean, should I lubricate the parts with something? What? I'm worried about using anything that might attract more dirt.
Warden Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I can help you. Contact me at r_whiten@hotmail.com

I repair and sell Bargman locks
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If any part or pivot is sticking, use a little penetrating oil to clean it, after you have scraped the bulk grease/dirt off.
Then clean the interior metal parts with brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner, following the manufacturer's instruction regarding protecting finished surfaces.
Blow dry with compressed air.
Use a dry lubricant spray. Do not use oil or grease!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-IN-ONE-3-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Re-install.

If the key does not work properly after cleaning the lock interior, you can try some penetrating oil in the keyhole, followed by cleaner, compressed air, and dry lube. However this does not treat all of the surfaces inside the cylinder and possibly it could make things worse by forcing grit further inside.
Many people use spray oil/grease lubricant into the keyhole when they have a problem. This is a short term fix that makes things worse in the long run. If the key cylinder is difficult to turn with the key after the treatment listed above, it might be best to get professional help, especially if you are not familiar the way it works. There are many parts that must be reinstalled in their exact same position.