Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I don’t think people who live outside of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or California really understand the extent of the issue and the tremendous strain that illegal immigration places on border states.

I read a comment by Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot this week boasting how proud she was that Chicago welcomes illegal immigrants as a sanctuary city and that they had done so for nearly 600 immigrants in the last year. Texas is seeing 18,000 illegal immigrants enter the state per day.

The scale of the problem is unimaginable if you haven’t seen it first hand.
Lightfoot is now complaining she has too many and is now putting them on busses and shipping them out to other cities. They need to all be put on busses and sent back south of the border.
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
This July we were in a small caravan crossing from Canada into the US and the US border agent asked for the keys to take a look into about half the trailers, looked and asked questions about the contents in the fridge, and about guns.

When traveling in the Rio Grande Valley last Winter we had to stop for border patrol checks but there were no trailer visits (questions were about our nationality and whether anyone was in the trailer).

My take away is follow the rules, have all your papers, travel clean, be polite and you won't have any problems.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #43
MSL
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sharon , Massachusetts
Searched Twice

We've been trailering 3+ years now; about 20k miles: Florida, Ohio, Vermont, New York, Maine, Canadian Maritime Provinces. Searched both times entering US from Canada; looking for citrus and people hidden in the trailer. Searched truck bed and trailer. First time they let me unlock both, second time wanted me to stay in truck and hand over the keys; they bent a trailer key. I will now unlock prior to approaching customs.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Searches.

> I am wondering how common it is that Airstreams are stopped and searched by police when rolling or boondocking. Is this common?

Straightforward question, lots of answers that go way off in the weeds. I now understand your disclaimer, Falk, and why threads have been closed.

We have about 25000 miles in Airstream tow miles over 8 years. We’ve been all over, near international borders, but haven’t crossed into Mexico or Canada while towing yet—only sans AS. We drive older vehicles and tow older trailers. Boondocking on BLM to “RV resorts.” Our rig is often dusty and camp-dirty; I expect we might look a bit sketchy. We are older white people, another relevant data point. Never a search, of either vehicle.

Enjoy your travels! It’s a fun hobby and life and I’m glad we’re able to do it.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
Well, I don't have any stories to tell. In almost 70 years, crossing international borders many times, and stopped in the southwest Border Patrol checkpoints, I've never been searched. Not saying that I'm any better than other people, but I choose not to violate the laws.

But, here's a little trick I learned decades ago from a government friend during the Cold War, when answering questions, look at the nose of the questioner, they can't tell you are doing so, and they think your are looking into their eyes. For me I'm not as nervous and can more easily answer truthfully.

Another option is to use the Jedi mind trick.

As to you kids and the wacky weed, wait till you discover martinis.
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:39 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Cuernavaca , TX
I'm 62. Last time I was searched was when I was in my 20's coming back from Mexico with a very unruly bunch of friends and coworkers in my Dad's class A Comander. One of the gals was obviously stoned, we looked like we were partying and hung over because we had been.

They walked through and the only issue was when one of my passengers started to takle a picture of the border patrol officer. DONT DO THAT!

I cross the Canadian boarder 3-4 times a year driving, more flying. I've never been searched driving, only had my baggs checked twice when flying in the last 10 years.

If you have a bad attitude or look like trouble to the officer they may get a vibe and investigate. Typically I drive conservitively, not over 65-70 with the Airstream.
Wross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perri View Post
> I am wondering how common it is that Airstreams are stopped and searched by police when rolling or boondocking. Is this common?
Three times searched when coming back into the US from Canada, once including X-rays, never any other time under any other circumstance, anywhere in the US.

I have about 300,000 miles of RV travel under my belt, and the last 100,000 or so of those by myself.

Maggie
Old 09-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've only been stopped once. I had traveled to Az. from TN. to pick up a '77 Airstream Excella 500 I purchased from an elderly man in Silverdale Az. On the return trip I passed through Shelby County (Memphis, TN.) and I was stopped by a Shelby County officer. He asked me if I knew why he had stopped me. I had seen him pull a long side me to check my tow vehicle license plate so I figured he was wondering why I had South Dakota trailer tag and TN. vehicle tag. I replied that I knew I wasn't speeding but he was probably wondering about the trailer tag. He replied that he was wondering. I told him I worked for a law enforcement agency, showed him my license, state ID and also let him know that I had a bill of sale in the truck (our conversation was held mostly outside the truck itself). I was carrying a firearm on the front seat in a holster so I made sure he saw my credentials for that also. He didn't ask to look inside the trailer but I offered to open the door for him to look inside to ease his mind if he thought I might have illegals inside. He said he didn't need to so I figured all the information I had given him was enough to let me be on my way. It was a good stop and I really had nothing to worry about. Matter of fact, I wanted to give a tour of my 31' trailer in case he might be interested in an Airstream later on. This happened about 20 years ago and I have been retired for 7 months. I really felt let down he didn't want to look inside but then I had nothing to hide.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
I can only speak for California.… Never been stopped here, well was given a ticket in Paso Robles by a cop .. Stopped me because he couldn't read my vintage license plate. He was such a jerk about it. Then speeds off leaving me to accelerate back onto a freeway.
Cannabis is legal in California so don't imagine a problem in this state. But I've seen plenty of YouTube videos of small-minded cops and sheriffs in other states only too eager to get the sniffer dogs out. Look up civil asset forfeiture. They can steal your assets without any kind of court order. I would imagine if your trailer is new and shiny there would be no issues, but it's always a gamble.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:27 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Been towing an AS for 5 years, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, never stopped by law enforcement, never questioned with open carry in woods by rangers.

I have extensive training in conceal carry both situational, laws, and live fire. Most training is around laws and how to handle the responsibility of carrying a weapon. One of the most important things is around matching force on force. For example, you see two people beating each other up, can/should you pull your fire arm to stop the fight? Or if a big guy assaults you or a freind, do you pull your gun? What if someone grabs your wife’s purse and takes off, would you pull your gun and yell “stop or I’ll shoot”? Only if you think someone one is in danger of severe bodily harm, or death. Lots to consider, age, size, situation, etc. we are taught by law enforcement to NEVER pull your gun unless you are prepared to pull the trigger at the target, never pull to prevent someone from doing something (I.e. break up a fight where no one is in danger of severe bodily harm or death) and you better be sure you have the right reason. That’s a high bar, keep your gun concealed or in holster unless you are prepared to destroy your target….. Law enforcement also teaches us that there is a very high percentage of people that carry and will not shoot, they pull gun in wrong situation and have their firearm taken from them (some actually get shot by their own gun being taken).

Lot’s of responsibility to carry. You own that bullet.. no matter where it goes.. so be trained, understand the laws, and situational awareness and preparedness. Too many people carry a gun without the proper training or understanding when and how to use it…

Green jeans, I’ve often played the scenario you faced over in my head. It’s a difficult choice to have to make. Sounds like you take it serious and with the size of that guy and age difference, and sucker punch, you made that call. It’s a tough one, and every situation is different, not sure with what I know I would have went for the gun on that one. Glad it ended up okay for you.

I do have a situation, in the woods, that really tested me, closest I ever came to pulling my gun out on someone. maybe I’ll share it later, this post has gotten long already.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Utah has a random interdiction check.
Be aware.

We were warned by locals in Idaho not to combine weed and California plates.

Our Airstream was searched for weapons once when we drove over Hoover damn.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:22 AM   #52
Rivet Master

If you drive/camp according to the law, would not worry too much.

I would be more concern about "Civil Asset Forfeiture" at this point in life. It's good to know your rights and act with respect.

Just remember one thing, when you are stopped/detained by law enforcement there's only one person in control, and it isn't you. A good Youtube site below that reviews the interaction between you and law enforcement below.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AuditTheAudit/videos

Be careful out there!
Old 09-12-2022, 07:28 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Francisco , Indiana
Ten years ago going into Canada was pulled over and vehicle searched while my wife and i were in the building in separate rooms. Coming back to USA we were searched and ran through an xray machine. Also had to open trailer so they could go inside. Had me come in to open a compartment for them to look at. nothing was found either time, guess i just look shifty.
Hickory
Hickory1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:41 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Concealed Fly Rod... without Fly attached? Legal?

Game Wardens are no nonsense enforcers of Game and Fish Rules and Regulations.

Colorado had $1 annual fishing license for old people, like myself for a couple years. I forgot when, as it was some time ago.

What if you have a concealed Fly Rod, Reel and Line without a Fly... or a Concealed Spinning Rod without a Spinner? Hmmmm.

Can you have Open Fly Rod without a Fly... without being afraid of being written a ticket? Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Colorado are very strict.

What if your Fly is down, leaving the last Restroom Stop. Legal or Not?

Human Beans just drive me Neanderthal crazy. I do not wear pants, either.

Short pants, legal in the Rocky Mountains any time of the year?

Leave your unlicensed Fly and Spinning Rods at home. You are a BAD Human Bean.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:58 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory1945 View Post
Ten years ago going into Canada was pulled over and vehicle searched while my wife and i were in the building in separate rooms.
Hickory
This may become more common as the total ban on the import of handguns has come into effect in August. There was a lot of pressure on politicians on this issue, especially in the larger cities (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal). Plastic parts and 3D printing are now a big concern.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 08:41 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I used to bring a weapon and have it next to the bed.
I found that I spent more time worrying about it being stolen, or being stopped when I cut across Illinois on I-24, that I stopped bringing it.
I'm pleased to say I've never been in an incident where I'd need it anyway. (knock on wood)
BTW: Border crossings are a whole different animal than a simple traffic stop.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I used to bring a weapon and have it next to the bed.
I found that I spent more time worrying about it being stolen, or being stopped when I cut across Illinois on I-24, that I stopped bringing it.
I'm pleased to say I've never been in an incident where I'd need it anyway. (knock on wood)
BTW: Border crossings are a whole different animal than a simple traffic stop.
Agree fully. Get a dog.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote