Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2022, 06:44 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I would think twice before not cooperating with a requested search, if there’s nothing to hide. That’s a good reason to always abide by the law. I have heard from several acquaintances and family member’s subjected to border searches, and yes they don’t put things back in place.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Stops and Searches

uncle_bob..NY will miss your wild spending spree☹️

Speaking of this sort of thing, we're headed back home. I've modified our route to avoid spending time in New York State. The "why" I'll leave as an open point. I simply want to avoid possible problems. Net result, NY will not get to tax any of my wild spending .....
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:19 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
A few years ago, when I was 65 I arrived at my Palo Duro Canyon State Park campsite to find a vehicle parked in it. Palo Duro is a large place and campsite are miles from the gate & park headquarters. We patiently waited in the vacant campsite next to us, eating trail mix. A young large male, with a girlfriend came off of a trail approaching their car. My wife approached the man and asked if he would move this car. He went off on her verbally, very angry, I then approached and he hit me in the mouth knocking me out.

I awoke leaning against the bed of my pickup, blood running down my face, with my pistol pointed at the mans chest. I calmly ordered the man to get the fk out of my campsite which he did, being persuaded by his girlfriend.

Having no cell service, no camp host, I sat on the park table while my wife doctored & iced my face. A Texas Park Police truck appeared with 2 officers. They took possession of my weapon, wrote me a ticket for disorderly conduct, putting my weapon back in my trucks console.

Luckily I have a concealed carry permit. My wife said after I went down he turned his attention back to her, I managed to get to my truck, my pistol being in the console of my truck. She said the first sound she heard was me chambering a bullet.

We were on our way to our youngest daughters wedding in CO, giving my daughter away, faced badly bruised. sad.

I called the clerk at the courthouse in Canyon Texas, from CO. asking if I could mail her the money for my ticket. She said I could, $800, but I should come in and talk with the justice of the peace. So on the way back to Dallas I did, he had reviewed the police file, reducing the fine to just over $60, court cost, also suggesting that I not pay it, go to court, possibly clear my record & pay no fine. I wrote the $60 check. He told me that the young man had stopped at the gate on his way out and reported that I had a gun in the canyon. They knew who he was.

Lessons: Different Texas SP have different rules as to weapons depending if the land was donated, purchased, kind of leased thru the gov. I have decided to take my chances, and at all times have a weapon close by. Yes, I’m breaking state laws sometimes, etc. The exceptions to this is when I’m drinking alcohol or crossing into Mexico, Canada, using public transportation or attending school events. Alway be honest with the officer, public servant, when they ask you questions, treat them with respect. Lastly go to my shooting club at least monthly, practice, practice, practice, keep my concealed license current.

After all that my vehicle or trailer was not entered, except to return my weapon. In all my years of travel this is the only serious problem we have had.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:29 AM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have been Airstreaming for sixteen years and have 2,180 nights of Airstream camping. We have traveled all of the lower 48 states, Alaska, and most of Canada. No official has ever so much as looked in our trailer. Also, our tow vehicle has never been searched.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Greenjeans and how many years ago was this situation? And you rather paid 60. dollars versus filing an assault report and now you have a disorderly weapons conduct on your permanent record?

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Being retired military, I have only been searched at Border Crossing Stations and at a few military bases where a FamCamp was located. Those were expected....most recently at NAS Jacksonville where it appeared the security officer was more interested in number of people in the Airstream vs opening compartments.

However, I did have an encounter with the Secret Service while camping at Yellowstone NP many years ago in my first RV. Back then, camping at Yellowstone was first come first serve, no reservations. Drove to the northern most campground and was the only RV there at 10am. While unpacking gear inside under the bed, someone outside called my name, asking me to step out. It was 3 SS agents who said I was in a security sweep zone and wanted to know if I had any weapons?? Thought it was a joke at first.....turned out the only building in view was a stone house at the tree line maybe a half mile away. Its the Superintendents house and Marine 1 was schedule to fly in to pick him up for a tour of the Park with the President!!

Needless to say I had to give them my .38 revolver and .22 rifle with scope. They left me claim tickets and returned both just before dark. Meantime....Slick Willy did fly by waving at me....twice.....haha!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Finger Nail Clippers... confiscated getting Concealed Carry Permit

Mike1997... what a fantastic story!

When we went to pick up our Renewal of our Concealed Carry Permit ID cards, we enter the Castle Rock, Colorado Sheriff's Department through a metal detector and X Ray of purses, etc.

Men also dump out their pockets, wallet, watch... etc.

I was stopped and the loose change from my pocket had a finger nail clipper.

They confiscated my... finger nail clipper. The officer said they were having criminal trials and it could be given to a felon to escape. Or... I could take the finger nail clippers out and return.

My finger nails grow overnight... women are jealous, as I have been told.

I took the finger nail clipper and put it behind a bush, rather than walk nearly a block to the vehicle and return.

When I entered, no finger nail clipper. Picked up my Concealed Carry ID card and when exiting, looked behind the bush... the clippers were missing. Obviously a Video Camera caught me concealing my... finger nail clipper Felon Escape Tool. Oh well. (:

Did I need a Concealed Finger Nail Clipper Permit... also?

My wife... had the exact same clippers in her purse, went through the X Ray Scanner... without notice. Maybe I need a Man Purse?
Old 09-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
Forgot about an orange...

Have only been stopped and searched once. At the Canadian/U.S. border by a U.S. customs agent. After exiting the ferry we pulled into a long line of cars waiting to go through Border/Customs station. Our turn arrived and we pulled forward, were ask if we were U.S. citizens and where we had traveled to while in Canada.

They ask if we had any prohibited items and I said "no". We were asked to pull over into the "enhanced search" area where the agents proceeded to toss the back of the car. After a short while an agent came around to my side of the car and said "...what's this" in a somewhat hostile and belligerent manner.

I looked at what he was holding in his hand and replied..."it's an orange...". We had been on the road for about 1 month and the orange was part of our original stock of food prior to crossing into Canada which I had simply forgotten about.

Must have been the manner in which I said "...it's and orange..." because he read me the riot act right then and there. Threatened me with a big fine and possible jail time. I was seriously concerned.

But in the end he "graciously" let us go with a stern warning about the dangers of illicit fruit and vegetables.

Oh, and he kept the offending orange.
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:31 AM   #29
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Greenjeans, unfortunately you fell into the situation when the cops take the side of the first person to contact them. I'm sure he had a different story to tell. I'm headed to Palo Duro on the 28th and I hope I don't run into him.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
NO Fruit(s) Entering Southern California?

Great Thread.

Three decades or more ago we were driving to San Diego from Kansas City. No trailer in tow as we did not own one, wanted one or could afford a vehicle to tow a trailer.

As we were approaching, within a few miles, of the California Border, a roadside seller had a pickup load of Arizona Oranges in cartons for sale. Business appeared to be brisk.

Going TO or From California customers.

At the California State Line... NO Fruit Allowed... message traveling West. Maybe Fruits. Take all you want to Arizona, departing California? I did not look.

So, you have a guy selling cartons of Oranges along the road, knowing if you are heading West they would be confiscated at the California Border.

Wonder if the evidence was consumed?

I am content we are healthy and old... eating Fruit, as well. I also understand and aware about insects among out of or in state fruit. This was an interesting business knowing the Oranges would be confiscated at the State Line.

Orange... Texas? You are lucky you were not confiscated. (After seeing John Ware's post.)
Old 09-05-2022, 12:29 PM   #31
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
That reminds me of the time California at the Arizona state line took my Washington apples that I bought in Texas.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Riverdale , New York
Thank you all for responding so candidly. I invent stuff for the trailer, that's my hobby. I was wondering how far to go to have a concealed storage area.

I would keep money there to forestall a civil forfeiture action and also to prevent theft. Yes civil forfeiture is well documented and very real in some towns where vehicles are stopped on various pretexts.

In terms of weapons I am debating whether to carry them. Yes I am aware about crossing boarders as I am sure Brittney Griner is by now. In terms of medicals I have a seriously messed up back, herniated disks, arthritis, etc. Sometimes my only option if I want to sleep is my neurologist prescribed synthetic heroin, another drug that causes seizures as a side affect, or a puff from the local dispensary.

I am not smart enough to know every law in every county. And I don't want to stop at every state border, checks the laws, and detour around it if I don't like them.

I am smart enough, however, to build advanced electronic devices.

I'm thinking now about a hidden compartment, well concealed, that only opens when connected to my phone via Bluetooth from an app that takes a password. 007 stuff...
FalkTheHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 12:59 PM   #33
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
You could disguise a hidden compartment but you'll never get one over on Fido. They won't be looking for prescription medicine anyway.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
Remember or know the first rule when being pulled over (in the United States). NEVER answer questions! Presenting the required information is all you need to give them.

When they ask, You know how fast you were going? Where are you going? Where are you coming from? Anything illegal in the vehicle? Etc... The only thing you say is "Sorry, I don't answer questions". When they ask to search you say "I do not consent to any search".

They will try their best to get you to incriminate yourself or find a reason to search your vehicle. Understand and empower your rights as a citizen. Don't let them. They are not your friend. It has been shown time and time again that law enforcement will not follow the constitution they swore an oath to.
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 01:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalkTheHawk View Post
I'm thinking now about a hidden compartment, well concealed, that only opens when connected to my phone via Bluetooth from an app that takes a password. 007 stuff...
Why take the chance?

What a royally messed up day you could create for yourself, if you were searched for whatever reason.

Do the right thing.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2022, 02:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Greenjeans and how many years ago was this situation? And you rather paid 60. dollars versus filing an assault report and now you have a disorderly weapons conduct on your permanent record?
I’d also add this question. If you were not carrying a gun would you still have confronted these folks or would you have returned to the entrance and avoided the whole situation?
I use to carry a concealed weapon. My training taught me that the best defense was to avoid conflicts.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 03:54 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
Come on man, Shiny 16? Read my post. The question is what would have happened if I had not been armed? Its been 4 years since it happened and having conversations with family, friends, and my lawyer you’re the first person that blamed it on the gun.

Looking back it still hard to believe that a young man would come off a trail knowing he was parked where he was not allowed to park and verbally attack an older woman then sucker punch me. Who knew? The Texas Park Police did a pretty good job and I’m still surprised he put my pistol back in my truck console. The tickets not a deal, probably had to be issued.

If I had injured, or killed the young man I would in that case not have talked with the police. I am insured to carry a weapon and would have called my lawyer before talking with the police. In all my years of carrying I’ve never pulled my weapon or showing it to another individual with that exception. We camped in Palo Duro 3 weeks ago in a site next to the site where it happened. Had a great time, saw 4 turkeys.

We are way off this post. The original question was a traveler from NY asking if he should be afraid of having his AS searched in Texas. I was giving an actual example of not having my trailer or truck searched after a pretty extreme incident.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjeans View Post
Come on man, Shiny 16? Read my post. The question is what would have happened if I had not been armed? Its been 4 years since it happened and having conversations with family, friends, and my lawyer you’re the first person that blamed it on the gun.

Looking back it still hard to believe that a young man would come off a trail knowing he was parked where he was not allowed to park and verbally attack an older woman then sucker punch me. Who knew? The Texas Park Police did a pretty good job and I’m still surprised he put my pistol back in my truck console. The tickets not a deal, probably had to be issued.

If I had injured, or killed the young man I would in that case not have talked with the police. I am insured to carry a weapon and would have called my lawyer before talking with the police. In all my years of carrying I’ve never pulled my weapon or showing it to another individual with that exception.

We are way off this post. The original question was a traveler from NY asking if he should be afraid of having his AS searched in Texas. I was giving an actual example of not having my trailer or truck searched after a pretty extreme incident.
Fair enough. It’s hard to gather details from one post. What was the reason for you being ticketed? That really makes no sense.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjeans View Post

If I had injured, or killed the young man I would in that case not have talked with the police. I am insured to carry a weapon and would have called my lawyer before talking with the police. In all my years of carrying I’ve never pulled my weapon or showing it to another individual with that exception. We camped in Palo Duro 3 weeks ago in a site next to the site where it happened. Had a great time, saw 4 turkeys.

I’m with you. I’ve never pulled my weapon when carrying, and hopefully never will. Palo Duro is a cool place!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B001D3F5-4EBC-457B-B4B7-7258738D83ED.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	701.6 KB
ID:	422083   Click image for larger version

Name:	20E72F77-8AB9-4335-9B05-0CE295028CC4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	773.7 KB
ID:	422084  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:25 AM   #40
OldGreyMare

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1962 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Honolulu , Hawaii
Traveling through southern Arizona along the border, and through West Texas down by Big Bend I have been stopped by ICE at their patrol stations. Often they have dogs. I was only searched once, and that was because someone had stolen my back license plate. Mostly, it seemed to me that they are searching for illegals. I was sort of searched once going into Canada, I had a bunch of small kitchen herb plants in the bed of my truck and was not allowed to bring them into Canada.
eastendmary is offline   Reply With Quote