Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
New Airstream is coming

Anyone seen this yet? "Airstream Unveils an All-Electric, Self-Propelled eStream Trailer Concept" from Hiconsumption.com? Interesting...

https://www.thorindustries.com/innovation-estream

https://hiconsumption.com/airstream-...ailer-concept/
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #2
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Yes, over 1900 views.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f14...ml#post2571345
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Been reading the articles as they have come out. Interesting concept but not for us.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluda372 View Post
Been reading the articles as they have come out. Interesting concept but not for us.
Here is a parking demo with the new Electric Airstream mentioned earlier...pretty cool! Wonder how much this "option" will be and when you can get it?

Check this Facebook video out of the AS parking itself with your tablet controlling!
https://www.facebook.com/charlotte.r...93833238449951
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
It looks like a 23’ for $170kish. Now you will need to charge two vehicles when you stop. I love the concept, I just don’t know if it will be doable yet. They need to work on lithium sulphur batteries which have 3-5 times the storage capacity. That would be the game changer.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
It looks like a 23’ for $170kish. Now you will need to charge two vehicles when you stop. I love the concept, I just don’t know if it will be doable yet. They need to work on lithium sulphur batteries which have 3-5 times the storage capacity. That would be the game changer.
Not a 23'; single axle in the video, and I don't recognize the layout thru the rear window? Could be a new model?
Old 01-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Not a 23'; single axle in the video, and I don't recognize the layout thru the rear window? Could be a new model?
It is a concept, so it is an all new model.

It is a chance for Airstream to debut a smarter design, with weights concentrated low down and over the axle(s) for improved stability, allowing lower tongue weights and no WD required, even before we get to active trailer stability using torque vectoring.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #8
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Every charge point we use (except the one in our garage, which can be modified) has more than one bay. Tesla has announced opening their Supercharger network to other brands, so that is key. It would be a hassle to go to two different charging locations on a stop.

The road test of a similar weight trailer with this technology allowed an Audi e-tron to travel its full rated distance even when towing, so effectively doubling the usual range where people are seeing a 50% impact towing. They say that the battery is similar in capacity to a Tesla, so around 75 kWh. Our 75 kWh vehicle battery gives us 500 km/300 mile range not towing. If we get 500 km/300 m when towing, that would be just fine, we don't need to wait for future batteries. I would want to be able to use two charge points, for double the charging speed.

The issue to us will be tongue weight, not battery capacity or charging.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:47 PM   #9
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Every charge point we use (except the one in our garage, which can be modified) has more than one bay. Tesla has announced opening their Supercharger network to other brands, so that is key. It would be a hassle to go to two different charging locations on a stop.

The road test of a similar weight trailer with this technology allowed an Audi e-tron to travel its full rated distance even when towing, so effectively doubling the usual range where people are seeing a 50% impact towing. They say that the battery is similar in capacity to a Tesla, so around 75 kWh. Our 75 kWh vehicle battery gives us 500 km/300 mile range not towing. If we get 500 km/300 m when towing, that would be just fine, we don't need to wait for future batteries. I would want to be able to use two charge points, for double the charging speed.

The issue to us will be tongue weight, not battery capacity or charging.
Still going to need double the juice to charge the combination. In earlier threads we were debating whether campgrounds would be able to accommodate a fleet of electric tow vehicles given the grid situation in remote areas, now we're going to compound the problem by having trailers that also need to be charged. And that's all on top of the usual loads imposed by all the new RVs out there with 2 or even 3 a/c units and all electric kitchens.

What would be interesting would be to see Airstream partner with a campground company to open some new campgrounds with dedicated EV/eTrailer sites, specifically designed to provide the necessary infrastructure.

One of the things that set Tesla apart from the competition early on was them building out a charger network. Airstream could do the same with camp sites and eTrailer charging.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #10
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933;
One of the things that set Tesla apart from the competition early on was them building out a charger network. Airstream could do the same with camp sites and eTrailer charging.

Infrastructure is already there in campgrounds with shore power. We have the same 50A 240v service at home for our Tesla as is installed in most campgrounds. We’ve charged our Tesla at campgrounds as well….
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #11
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Infrastructure is already there in campgrounds with shore power. We have the same 50A 240v service at home for our Tesla as is installed in most campgrounds. We’ve charged our Tesla at campgrounds as well….
Yes and no.

True, that 50-amp power you have at home and use to charge is already at the camp sites, but for the most part it's being used to power the RVs while they're camping. All those a/c units, electric cooktops, water heaters, etc. will still need to be powered, and now we're talking about adding the additional load of charging EVs and eTrailers.

The infrastructure is pretty much tapped out already running in the warmer months with all the a/c units and such. I've experienced low voltage myself in a number of places and read about problems every summer others have.

Can't imagine a campground which is already struggling to supply adequate power to their 50-amp sites will suddenly be able to add chargers and keep everyone happy.

For areas with a lower nighttime temps and reduced load, some type of system could be added to push the EV and eTrailer charging to the off-peak hours, and that itself will involve upgrades and education.

It's all doable, but it's not going to be easy.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:38 PM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
I think it is worth considering how much load will be put on the campground plugins for various future combinations.

The Tesla example is a good one. With ours, a 75 kWh battery gives us 500 km (300 miles) of range. An electric assist trailer is likely to be similar, a 75 kWh battery. Using our home charge point (30A) we charge up in a matter of hours. With a trailer, that would be double, but doable overnight. We wouldn't expect to put much house load on the campground circuit. In this scenario we may want a single 50A connection, for the tow vehicle, electric assist trailer, and trailer house load. In practice, we would be more likely to use Superchargers and just use the campground connection to top off.

Now consider a less efficient tow vehicle. A Rivian or Silverado could have a 200 kWh battery. The load on the campground circuit could be 2.5 times what we would require, just for the tow vehicle, before we get to the electric assist trailer. And if the Rivian owner is accustomed to using a 50 A service just for their house load, eg dual AC and all the other devices, it will add up quickly.

The solution is better efficiency, for the EV tow vehicle, and the house loads. If people think that the future is like today, except they will have 2 or 3 50 A circuits waiting for them, I don't think that is realistic.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:46 PM   #13
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I think it is worth considering how much load will be put on the campground plugins for various future combinations.

The Tesla example is a good one. With ours, a 75 kWh battery gives us 500 km (300 miles) of range. An electric assist trailer is likely to be similar, a 75 kWh battery. Using our home charge point (30A) we charge up in a matter of hours. With a trailer, that would be double, but doable overnight. We wouldn't expect to put much house load on the campground circuit. In this scenario we may want a single 50A connection, for the tow vehicle, electric assist trailer, and trailer house load. In practice, we would be more likely to use Superchargers and just use the campground connection to top off.

Now consider a less efficient tow vehicle. A Rivian or Silverado could have a 200 kWh battery. The load on the campground circuit could be 2.5 times what we would require, just for the tow vehicle, before we get to the electric assist trailer. And if the Rivian owner is accustomed to using a 50 A service just for their house load, eg dual AC and all the other devices, it will add up quickly.

The solution is better efficiency, for the EV tow vehicle, and the house loads. If people think that the future is like today, except they will have 2 or 3 50 A circuits waiting for them, I don't think that is realistic.
And the $64,000 question is how are you going to wean people from their luxury condos on wheels with multiple a/c units running 24/7 and all the other bells and whistles. People spending this much money expect luxury and that will likely require either some extreme efficiency or a whole change in the camping paradigm. You and I might not tap out a 50-amp connection with our style of camping, but many do. We're usually able to stay comfortable on 20-amp sites, 30-amps if it's very warm. We have friends that blow the breakers on a 50-amp site.

Air conditioners will hopefully become more efficient, but it seems that every day more and more electrical appliances are added. With the move away from propane, that's going to likely only get worse.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Currently I doubt campgrounds in our area have sufficient electricity to accommodate this style rig and an electric vehicle. Money does not seem to be dedicated to these types of upgrades.
Have never camped in a site with a hard floor. I doubt the self-park feature works on soft ground.
Old 01-23-2022, 08:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
And there are "discussions" about the "extra load burden" potential with EV's charging at campgrounds, taking away from their grid for campers. I expect there will be some "additional charges" or restrictions coming on this to insure power for the campers.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:49 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Nice idea but I'd hate to have to trouble shoot a problem in that thing...unless I was an IT expert & an electrician...lol
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Yes, it’s all about the batteries. Today with current battery tech, auto manufacturers can’t meet 25% of EV car demand much less something this size…

But cool idea to strive for in the future
cedonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:51 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Seen it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Anyone seen this yet? "Airstream Unveils an All-Electric, Self-Propelled eStream Trailer Concept" from Hiconsumption.com? Interesting...

https://www.thorindustries.com/innovation-estream

https://hiconsumption.com/airstream-...ailer-concept/
Yes, we went to the RV Supershow in Tampa January 21 and were allowed to look through the door and windows. There was also the Thor “motor home” on display next to it and it looked strangely like an Airstream, also. The only markings were “Thor”.
I think it was a 22 or 23 foot trailer. It got a lot of attention and they were taking notes on what people were saying about it. There was a front dinette and a rear bed and I think it was a wet bath somewhere in the middle over the axle. We used a lot of funky wallpaper with yellow and black and gray modern design but then again it is a concept and that is all subject to change.
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote