Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2022, 11:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
The THOR study is what I expected it to be.

Due to inflation and gas prices, Disneyland will have just as many single visitors, just for a day fewer each trip with one less snow cone per kid, per day.
WellSaid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:27 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
East Lansing , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
We visited Middlebury, Indiana last week. This town is home to a multitude of RV manufacturing brands and suppliers. There are hundreds of finished units stored everywhere. We even saw them stored in church and bowling alley parking lots. Just wondering if it's a shipping issue or are things in the RV business coming to a halt do to over supply. What's also interesting at the same time is help wanted signs were everywhere. Just wondering if any one from the area knows what the explanation is.
Hundreds? I noticed thousands of new RV's in that area just two weeks ago!!!
SnowWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:33 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
WOAAAH. Here we go with the snobbery….

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
Airstreams are not SOB trailers. Many (but not all) of these theories do not apply as they do to the SOB markets and their respective owners.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Not snobbery at all, it is an economic reality. Different purchase generally from most SOBs.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:13 PM   #25
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I was at our local AS dealer yesterday. I joked with a salesman, I know why there’s an RV shortage, you guys have ALL the RVs on your lot! He explained that for the most part (all except AS and a few others) the industry has caught up with demand. In fact they have told several of their RV suppliers to stop shipping stock inventory. They have enough. I think the boom has slowed down. At least for many of the manufacturers. I think they were down to just a few AS trailers and an Atlas on the floor. I do not know why the AS demand is still not met. He did comment on price increases. He had a guy order and cancel a base camp 20. Then changed his mind and ordered again. The pricing went from $40K to $60 in two years. That’s crazy IMHO.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Was at the Bay Area AS dealer in Fairfield not too long ago. A few used consignment trailers, no new stock to purchase on the spot. Order after order with enormous wait times.

The pain will catch up with AS at some point, but it will likely be a minimal dip compared to almost all other TT manufacturers.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
What causes diesel to be 25% to 50% higher in California than here in central Texas?
"California".
Old 05-29-2022, 01:00 PM   #28

Brownstown , Michigan
It is not just in Indiana it is everywhere. Every RV lot is filled to the bursting point! Ask yourself who is going to buy all this excessive industry? It is simply the RV manufacturing industry “making hay while there is sunshine”! 1980’is coming again and buying used will be the mantra!
MinnCanoeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:03 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
I truly don't have any experience in the RV hauling industry, but from what I understand about it, my first guess is either the haulers cannot make money at it due to the surge in fuel costs, or the dealers are unwilling to pay a fuel surcharge to cover this increase. It seems that those folks (RV haulers) operate on a razor thin margin to begin with, so given all the other quality of life sacrifices they make, I bet its just not worth it right now. Pure speculation on my part, no basis in facts, no inside info here.
I didn’t realize that RV-Haulers made “quality of life sacrifices” that other truckers don’t experience. I guess I’ll have to add them to our church prayer-list.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:29 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Travel trailers are being hoarded by manufacturers in a bid to inflate short-term profit margins in anticipation of global economic disruption due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Just kidding.

If hundreds of campers are delayed “on the shelf” due to electronic part shortages, reinforces my personal proclivity fir electronic austerity. Condolences to those who desire self-parking trailers and self-driving vehicles.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1966 24' Tradewind
Franklin , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
We visited Middlebury, Indiana last week. This town is home to a multitude of RV manufacturing brands and suppliers. There are hundreds of finished units stored everywhere. We even saw them stored in church and bowling alley parking lots. Just wondering if it's a shipping issue or are things in the RV business coming to a halt do to over supply. What's also interesting at the same time is help wanted signs were everywhere. Just wondering if any one from the area knows what the explanation is.

I spent a couple of days at a camping world for repairs while going cross country. The lot was totally full with new units of all types. Over 500 units there. I talked with sales persons while waiting for repairs and learned that sales were slow. They had no room for more units. I looked at many units to pass the time and noticed they all looked the same, gray and white and black interiors, even gray flooring. I think the camper bubble is primed to bust.
geodazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:57 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodazed View Post
I spent a couple of days at a camping world for repairs while going cross country. The lot was totally full with new units of all types. Over 500 units there. I talked with sales persons while waiting for repairs and learned that sales were slow. They had no room for more units. I looked at many units to pass the time and noticed they all looked the same, gray and white and black interiors, even gray flooring. I think the camper bubble is primed to bust.
Yup, I sensed the same thing. Boats and RVs are the first to take a hit with economy changes. There's a pent up demand for autos, but as soon as the "have to buy" folks are done, I bet it gets soft too. That is, if we don't see the market improve and inflation abate sooner, rather than later.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:25 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Very Interesting Observation or Duh?

Nice to see that the very serious reality is apparent to a little more of the community.
Suggest digging a little deeper into the global then again the national look of the situation.
You want to get a real thrill?
Check out the number of cargo vessels waiting in China vs USA, ask why?
Reminds me of the time I watched a lady back her new 30' motor home over the edge of very steep drop off. Lemme see if I can find the pic and upload it.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:46 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
I’m in the market right now to buy a newer 23’-25’ replacement Airstream. Even though I can write a check for what I want right now, I hear the economic drumbeats, and they don’t sound good. I am going to wait, and buy when it’s right for me to do so. The used market is now being loaded every day with people trying to get way more for their units than what is reasonable. Look at the airstream forum ad pages.

The savvy buyer, particularly one with sufficient discretionary funds, is going to wait and let market forces work in his (or her) favor. Those waiting for new order to arrive next year (locked in and financing) will be upside down before they drive their unit off the lot.

Hey! I love Airstreaming and hope everyone is having fun!
We’ve been thru these economic cycles before. Have we not learned anything?
i have been watching the airforum classifieds for a few years. The number of used AS's has more than doubled since February. Between fuel prices, the covid bump decline and people going back to the office is bringing the RV industry back to earth. People who are pricing their used rv's are selling them. The ones who are upside down and asking last Summer's pricing will sit on them till for awhile as they send in a 800$ check each month.

The smaller trailers will be in demand at a reasonable price. The 25 ft. and longer stuff is 2 years plus saturated currently. Some great deals to be had right around the corner.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:52 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Fuel prices are very much a regional thing. Some areas are way less impacted than others. The gotcha is that folks look at their local pumps and make decisions based on that. This isn't stupidity, most RV trips are going to use a lot of "local" fuel. That run from Miami to Anchorage isn't likely to be a "couple times a year" sort of thing.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSaid11 View Post
Airstreams are not SOB trailers. Many (but not all) of these theories do not apply as they do to the SOB markets and their respective owners.

Supply and demand apply to AS also. I know a guy who bought a 3 year old 25ft FC in 2010 for under 40K.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:12 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
Supply and demand apply to AS also. I know a guy who bought a 3 year old 25ft FC in 2010 for under 40K.

Never said supply and demand would not apply to the AS market.

I have also seen people paying sticker for Jeeps with 10 on the lot. First class seats on almost every flight are totally full. Diesel at $5-6 plus a gallon and there is no glut.

Not sure what your anecdote or any of the others above add up to other than there will always be a certain market with a certain buyer paying that price.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Supply and demand usually does not apply to those who have more money than sense.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2022 28' Pottery Barn
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Supply and demand usually does not apply to those who have more money than sense.

That too, and most SOB buyers would say that about any AS owner - new or used.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #40

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We just spent a week on the road with Lucy until her a/c unit bit the dust and we were forced to return home. During our week on the road we noticed a couple of things that seem contradictory. Every RV dealer that we passed was slammed with stock. Every new car dealer that we passed had almost nothing to sell. Their lots were bare.

There is another thing that I find curious. For as long as I can remember, Diesel fuel was priced between regular unleaded and mid grade. This was true pretty much nationwide regardless of price trends. Now, all of a sudden, Diesel fuel is a dollar higher that premium unleaded gas. Go figure.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote