Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2021, 01:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I've heard talk that they might ditch the MGU-H when the new engine regulations are put into place in 2025. Between now and 2025, not much will change.

The MGU-H is the main reason for the muted engine sound in the current generation of cars. If that expensive and fragile component is removed, then we might hear proper sounding F1 cars again. They'll probably never sound as good as the naturally aspirated V8 and V10 cars did, but they've got to sound better than what we have today.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Bluffton , South Carolina
Do enjoy the race

I will have to watch it on TV.

Lets us all know how the site and Lot N are.
WillZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I've heard talk that they might ditch the MGU-H when the new engine regulations are put into place in 2025. Between now and 2025, not much will change.
While I don't agree that the "power unit" is the problem, there is hope that F1 will stop being a parade decided by pit stop mistakes. There are huge changes in the aero and chassis regs for next year. They won't admit it, but they are following Indycar in trying to get more downforce from the underside of the car and lessening the problems of dirty air on the following car.

The criticism of the racing is absolutely fair in my opinion. I am hoping it will finally get better.

Wait . . . am I on the Airstream forum?
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Austin , TX
I will be there!!! I live in Austin and have made it to all of the F1 races held here. For the last race, I got really lucky and was able to snag one of the electric sites in lot N. I’ve got it again this year.

We’ve got seats in the Turn 1 grandstand though I may try and trade them for Turn 5. It’s a lot closer and no hill to climb.

Looking forward to the race!!!
JohnnyAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
While I don't agree that the "power unit" is the problem, there is hope that F1 will stop being a parade decided by pit stop mistakes. There are huge changes in the aero and chassis regs for next year. They won't admit it, but they are following Indycar in trying to get more downforce from the underside of the car and lessening the problems of dirty air on the following car.

The criticism of the racing is absolutely fair in my opinion. I am hoping it will finally get better.

I agree with you on the power unit not being the problem, but I’d sure like more sound from the cars!

This year has been the most entertaining that we have had in some time. Change is always brewing…

I’m looking forward to the 2022 regulation changes. I’d like to see it mixed up a bit. We have had some great midfield battles this year and I’d love to see more of that at the front.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post

At least F1 does not have the "trains" like some other forms of auto racing, including SCCA spec racers. Something about seeing all the cars go by nose to tail as one long aero exercise that is crushingly boring to me, I would much rather see some hard fought battles between 2 or 3 cars midfield. As far as competition it is hard to beat MotoGP. Either way I will take a weekend at a race track over almost any other form of entertainment. I even have fun riding a bicycle around COTA!
Old 10-06-2021, 06:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
At least F1 does not have the "trains" like some other forms of auto racing, including SCCA spec racers. Something about seeing all the cars go by nose to tail as one long aero exercise that is crushingly boring to me. As far as competition it is hard to beat MotoGP. Either way I will take a weekend at a race track over almost any other form of entertainment. I even have fun riding a bicycle around COTA!
Hey! Don't be dissing SRF. I did it for 20 years. It is not boring inside the cars on the track!!!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:40 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Hey! Don't be dissing SRF. I did it for 20 years. It is not boring inside the cars on the track!!!
Oh I agree with that, I am sure it is loads of fun to be driving. Just rather see some good 2-3 car battles as a spectator.

Back in ancient times when I raced SCCA (B/SR and A/S) we used to get large crowds at Laguna Seca and Riverside for National and even Regional events. Nowadays that has changed and amateur racing I think is more about catering to the drivers, and potential spectators have lots of other options. Nothing wrong with that but it is "different".
Old 10-12-2021, 01:07 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Camas , Washington
Quote:
I agree with you on the power unit not being the problem, but I’d sure like more sound from the cars!

This year has been the most entertaining that we have had in some time. Change is always brewing…

I’m looking forward to the 2022 regulation changes. I’d like to see it mixed up a bit. We have had some great midfield battles this year and I’d love to see more of that at the front.

the power unit and regen makes braking into corners and putting down the power out of corners inconsistent, which is where races are won or lost. I would love to see teams allowed to use any engine configuration they want with HP limits and tires and down force designed for chassis and allow team and tire manufacturers to work together. Get F1 back to it's mission of the best of the best that money can buy.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m predicting another Bottas victory in Austin this year. The Mercs are significantly faster than all the other cars on the long straights. Bottas has scored more points than either Hamilton or Verstappen since he signed with Alfa Romeo. He was on pole and won the race the last time it was at COTA in 2019.

I’m really looking forward to being in the middle of the controlled chaos of an F1 weekend.

It looks like the weather forecast is calling for temperatures on the 50s at night, so air conditioning won’t be necessary.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 10-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
I just noticed that even though it is dry camping there is a space number assigned on my reservation. So that is nice, apparently we won't have to arrive early to try to get a better spot.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Interesting. I don’t see that on mine.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 10-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Interesting. I don’t see that on mine.
Look on your online ticket with the bar code. Might be "Seat" number. The sites are numbered so makes sense they would do that.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I see it now. I’m row GA-1, seat 10 for camping.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 10-19-2021, 07:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
The calm before the storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7CD7AFEA-A72A-4BFE-AACF-EB2E9DB76527.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	406640   Click image for larger version

Name:	ED75D52C-DC59-47E4-8041-E23322730289.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	406641  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2209A81B-ECAB-4973-95EC-F7BA4713B809.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	406642  

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 10-19-2021, 10:53 PM   #36

Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAustin View Post
I will be there!!! I live in Austin and have made it to all of the F1 races held here. For the last race, I got really lucky and was able to snag one of the electric sites in lot N. I’ve got it again this year.

We’ve got seats in the Turn 1 grandstand though I may try and trade them for Turn 5. It’s a lot closer and no hill to climb.

Looking forward to the race!!!
Let us know the trick for next year!
lzydogrnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
For those of you attending in person, I hope you like humidity. The forecast has changed. It’s overcast and looking like rain is likely. It’s projected to be almost 90 degrees over the race weekend. It’s so humid that it feels like I’m underwater. Glad I brought the generator to run the air conditioner!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 10-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
For those of you attending in person, I hope you like humidity. The forecast has changed. It’s overcast and looking like rain is likely. It’s projected to be almost 90 degrees over the race weekend. It’s so humid that it feels like I’m underwater. Glad I brought the generator to run the air conditioner!
Yep, I just unloaded my solar panels and loaded up my Honda generators. See you in a few hours. I have watched the predicted temperatures and humidity creep up for the last week on KXAN Weather.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I drove over to Lot N this afternoon to get the information. They are expecting a line, and they will possibly let people in early. Despite having a row number and seat number on your pass, it is first come, first serve.

From the COTA Camping parking lot, you’ll exit and turn right on Circuit of the Americas Blvd. Take that to the stop sign at Elroy Rd. And take a right. Follow Elroy Rd. until you see the entrance to Lot N. Turn right there and people will begin to queue up on that road. You’ll check in, then they’ll guide you into a marked spot.

I drove through the lot and checked it out. All the sites are essentially the same, although some have a gravel base and some have grass. The ~20 sites with electric service are in the first row and are all reserved.

I plan to get over there between 8:00 and 9:00 AM tomorrow. I just filled up my fresh water tank at COTA Camping and I’m enjoying one last night of cold air conditioning.

See you there!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 10-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Looking at practice. I have two thoughts. First, I am jealous of you folks who are there. Second, its way too hot!
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote