Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Leaving Airstream unattended...

This might be a dumb question, but it just occurred to me as I've been looking for tow vehicles with good mpg. How often can I expect to be driving my tow vehicle around without the Airstream if I don't want to pay for campgrounds every day? Is it safe to leave an airstream unhitched somewhere? Like BLM land or a WalMart parking lot? Are there places that anyone recommends for leaving their airstream and going to run errands just in the tow vehicle to conserve on gas?

Thanks!
slswllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by slswllr View Post
This might be a dumb question, but it just occurred to me as I've been looking for tow vehicles with good mpg. How often can I expect to be driving my tow vehicle around without the Airstream if I don't want to pay for campgrounds every day? Is it safe to leave an airstream unhitched somewhere? Like BLM land or a WalMart parking lot? Are there places that anyone recommends for leaving their airstream and going to run errands just in the tow vehicle to conserve on gas?

Thanks!

NEVER leave your airstream in Walmart parking lot!!!!!!! Pretty sure it wouldnít be there when you got back.
Carl n Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Leave your trailer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Lynn View Post
NEVER leave your airstream in Walmart parking lot!!!!!!! Pretty sure it wouldnít be there when you got back.
If you added some deterrents like making friends with responsible BLM folks/family staying at camp to watch your rig. Adding a hitch and / or wheel locks, reporting alarm system, or even install a GPS tracker (skylight area exposed to sky and local 12vpower) in case it went missing.....may offer some options and safety to the prospects.
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 10 spd 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Are you planning to be in a constant state of motion with the Airstream? Likely you'll be spending time camping somewhere and hopefully that somewhere is safe enough to leave the campsite for a bit of time (after taking proper precautions to secure the trailer).

I'd never leave my Airstream at a Walmart unattended. Not sure they even allow you to leave one unhitched.

Not sure what kind of errands you're talking about, but typically we are not unhitched between stopping points and plan out any stops for supplies in places where we can parked while hitched up.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Lynn View Post
It would also just be kinda rude.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
In all the years we camped with our International 27FB, we only left it unhitched in storage, in campgrounds, in driveways, on a dealers lot for repairs, etc. Never on public lands like BLM, never ever in a retail parking lot.

That said, the rig is yours, so itís your risk to take should you close to do so. Best wishes, I hope it works out!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Been full timing for almost 4 years. Truck tracks trailer miles so we have almost 40k miles on the airstream with 92k miles on the truck. Youíll leave the airstream somewhere and use the truck. Always at your own risk.

There are hitch locks and other deterrents available out there. You should use them all and know that if someone really wants it and are good, they will get through them all. GL

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:28 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
I've been rving in blm and national forests for over 35 yrs. Never ha a problem leaving my trailer unattended. Often out most of the day and my trailer is fine. Make your own decisionand have a good time. Kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Run your errands before you go to BLM land to camp, and if you are going to park in a Walmart lot stay hitched and do your shopping there.

An unhitched trailer at WalMart, minus some permission from the manager, might warrant a tow, and would at least be rude.

It seems that more and more WalMarts are denying overnight parking, for whatever reason, but likely because there are so many RV’s and vehicle dwellers using them.

Overnighting and shopping mitigates that, using their lot for storage not so much.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:22 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
I almost exclusively camp on BLM and Forest Service land. The trailer is alone much of the day while I am off hiking and exploring; sometimes hours away.
You may be surprised to find that the people you will meet out there are a lot like you.
Besides, the odds of your trailer getting totalled on the road are vastly greater than any other bad thing you may worry about. Statistically, driving is one of the most dangerous things we do.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I'd never leave my Airstream at a Walmart unattended. Not sure they even allow you to leave one unhitched.
I believe the rule is to stay hitched when staying overnight at Walmart. And even if it wasnít, I wouldnít do it. Way too risky.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Unfortunately, there is no "perfect" way to protect your trailer while you are out and about. Quite a few posts about stolen trailers. Almost always the situation is surprising as to how audacious the thief was (broad daylight, public campsite, "safe" neighborhood, robust hitch lock, etc.). Your best bet is to make taking the trailer as *inconvenient* as possible for the thief. A hitch lock is a good start, but for every hitch lock on the market there is a YouTube video of how easy they are to remove (usually with a cordless cut-off tool). Next is a thick cable and lock through the wheels. Both sides is even better. Using a GPS tracker is a good move, but *advertising* the fact is even better (let the would-be thief know you can track their movement). I feel like in the "olden days" there was more camaraderie among campers and less chance of having your trailer stolen, but these days you hear a lot more stories about missing rigs. Maybe that's just because these days we hear more stories (via the internet), but...

The sad fact is that every time I return to my trailer when boondocking, I keep my fingers crossed.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Midlothian , Virginia
Proven Lock is awesome

https://besttrailerlocks.com/product...tream-trailers
hunnerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Your question HIGHLIGHTS one of the BIG problems of owning a RV trailer and pulling your camping trailer on a trip with a tow vehicle. It can make wanting to take a local quick to take advantage of the area's attractions a worrisome trip leaving your Airstream unattended.

Some problem with a motorhome. That's why you see so many "Toads" pulled by a motorhome to solve the local transportation issue.

As noted above it ALL depends upon where you leave your Airstram/Argosy unattended. I have never had a problem leaving our trailer unattended when Boondocking. I also have NEVER left the trailer unattended in a busy commercial or urban setting. That's asking for a theft or a tow away by a business owner or private property owner who does not want that trash on their private property.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
If you're asking about taking a few days off of camping mid-trip to go to a spa (or whatever) for the week, I wouldn't.

If you're asking about being camped but taking a day trip to visit the local distillery, winery, museum, etc., then sure. Lock up the tongue/hitch if it makes you feel better.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
slswllr,
Your inquiry hints that you haven't spent much time in public campgrounds.
Long ago, I heard this definition of a "Gringo": Someone in a $200,000 motorhome who wants to camp on your land for free. If you are going to spend the $$ on a camper, be prepared to pay the piper for a safe, scenic temporary home with amenities provided that would take mucho $$ and all your time to duplicate yourself.
The boondocking purists on this forum are seldom about saving money, or conveniently parking their trailer when they want to entertain themselves unencumbered. Try to appreciate the possibilities before locking yourself into an absolute minimalist approach, with all kinds of security and safety downsides attached.
And, as most previously posters have mentioned, there is the aspect of being considerate. If you wouldn't want to see a trailer (even one as appealing as an Airstream) sitting in your city park, business lot, or residential street for unknown or possibly nefarious purposes, don't inflict the same on others.
I hope you find what works for you. Fuel economy really suffers when you tow with an undersized vehicle, so do your homework there before you make decisions based on that consideration.
In terms of travel style, what you seem to be suggesting would be better accomplished with a truck bed camper.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by slswllr View Post

Thanks!
my $0.02>
On public land; unless prohibited, do so at your own risk.
On private land; unless you have permission from the owner, rented the space, or own the place you want to park, you don't have the right to park there. The owner of the parking place has the right to enter, retain, and or tow your vehicle, possibly deny you access, because you have abandonded it on their property, even it is for a short time while you run an errand.

ps: I have left mine without a tow vehicle attached a few times in shopping center parking lots (privately owned land) while running errands.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Several different friends of mine, in addition to us, all independently went to Acadia this spring/summer/fall; we were all at a meeting this previous weekend, and were discussing our trips up and back. We had camped outside of Freeport for a couple of days, so we got to leave our camper at the campground to head into town. One of my friends was just stopping by town as the passed through, and w/ a camper in-tow, decided to not stop and keep rolling on. Discussing it, one of the hypothetical solutions we came up w/ for him in the future, would be to find a secure place to park trailer/TV together, then use an Uber to get into town, hit the highlights, then back out to the camper/TV, and then proceed. I suppose that would be dependent on finding a place you feel comfortable leaving your camper and TV together at....
Old 11-28-2021, 03:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorIdaho View Post
I almost exclusively camp on BLM and Forest Service land. The trailer is alone much of the day while I am off hiking and exploring; sometimes hours away.
You may be surprised to find that the people you will meet out there are a lot like you.
Besides, the odds of your trailer getting totalled on the road are vastly greater than any other bad thing you may worry about. Statistically, driving is one of the most dangerous things we do.
I wish this forum had a "like" button.
I'd have just clicked on it.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:52 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Garland , Texas
I worry about leaving my AS next to my house, parked in my gated yard, with a pad lock. Itís secured with a coupler lock, a trimax wheel lock, I also remove the power jack fuse, lower the stabilizers and then monitor with a security camera.

The wheel lock stays at home except when Iím camping on public lands. Iíve been trailer camping for over 20 yrs with no issues, theft, etc.

My neighbor, a couple of houses down, unhitched a brand new utility trailer one evening in his front driveway and it was stolen by morning. He came down to ask me if I had seen anything? I asked him if he had taken any precautions. None.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote