Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Fort Myers , Florida
Yes, it is ok. But, I use whatever I want and put "all" of it in the trash can. Traveled in Mexico and other foreign countries and just got use to it. It helps keep you tanks better. Just take the trash out every morning and put a bag in. Then, if anyone, children or adults also use wipes it is all in one bag. Sounds gross, but if you get use to it you will enjoy your toilet paper more "much more".
vdigby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Steve - yes, the same.
I got the identical tin can you did and liked the 3 SimpleHuman bag liners that came with it, but thought they were too expensive so I use a cheap brand that works fine.
Thanks for your response, nice to know someone else thinks the same way on this.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I recall this being tested before.
RV brand TP vs. Home style.
Both placed in a Mason jar of water, shaken, and observed.
The common home paper won.

I use Charmin now.
Pretty much what I’ve been told, don’t waste money on special TP, but I hate Charmin, leaves bits linty.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Or, install A Biffy brand bidet.

https://goo.gl/images/EZsLKs

Regards,
JD
That’s funny, San Diego Girl Scouts call an outhouse a “Biffy”,
Bathroom In Forest For You.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wd67rg View Post
That’s funny, San Diego Girl Scouts call an outhouse a “Biffy”,
Bathroom In Forest For You.
Sounds like a NASA acronym.

We would not go back to a paper only scenario.

I mean, if you had that material anywhere else on your body would you be comfortable with simply smearing it off with only paper?

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:47 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliset123 View Post
We only use Scott one ply at home so that works for us.
It seems rolls of Scott 1000 lasts forever..
Old 09-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Especially if one uses just one square at a time...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
TMI. Can’t unsee that one ....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
TMI. Can’t unsee that one ....
^^^x2

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:32 AM   #30
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
It Ain't Done Until The Paper Work Is Done

Cooincidentally, I was in my friend's Stihl shop when this guy came in to get his saw. I asked him what he did for a living. He said he installs septic systems. Great time to ask him the questions.

Q: Can I use regular toilet paper in a septic system?
A: Yes.

Q: I have a RV. Can I use regular toilet paper in it?
A: Not advisable.

Q: Why not?
A: It tends to get hard because there is little saturation per square inch to break it down.

Q: What kind of toiletpaper should I use in my RV?
A: I have a RV and I use single layer sheet special RV toilet paper. The double layer sheets are not good for the system because they bunch up and then clog the system.

Q: Have you had any issues with your RV using that toilet paper?
A: No. The key is to run lots of water through the system regularly and you'll have no problems.

Q: When you winterize, do you add RV antifreeze to the black tank?
A: Yes. Dump a cup or two into the holding tank.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:12 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliset123 View Post
We only use Scott one ply at home so that works for us.
We have been using Scott one ply at home for over 30 years with no septic tank problems. (We do use more than one square at a time)

Last fall, I started using Scott in the RV after testing it in a mason jar: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ml#post2024779
It has worked fine all this year.

PS: On a side note, I started using Scott at home after realizing that "The Ladies" seem to use a fixed length of TP regardless of how many plys or "fluffiness" the tissue has. I estimate they use about 6 to 12 feet per "sitting", at 4" per square, that is about 18 to 36 squares.

And in my house there seems to be only one person with the ability to change out the empty roll, me!

When you buy multi-ply or extra soft tissue, it seems I am changing out the roll 2 to 3 times more often than with the Scott stuff.

I am afraid to add up how much of the TP is in our septic tank, but so far, using a little ridx, now and then, our system is surviving the millions of Scott squares it has received
Old 09-03-2018, 04:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Post # 7 from weeks ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The TP search, linked above, has One thousand nine hundred and twenty results on AirForums.com alone.

"Scott TP" search results here: https://www.google.com/search?q=scot...com&gws_rd=ssl
"Fork fell into black tank" thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...nk-146797.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
we have been using scott one ply at home for over 30 years with no septic tank problems. (we do use more than one square at a time)

last fall, i started using scott in the rv after testing it in a mason jar: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ml#post2024779
it has worked fine all this year.

Ps: On a side note, i started using scott at home after realizing that "the ladies" seem to use a fixed length of tp regardless of how many plys or "fluffiness" the tissue has. I estimate they use about 6 to 12 feet per "sitting", at 4" per square, that is about 18 to 36 squares.

And in my house there seems to be only one person with the ability to change out the empty roll, me!

When you buy multi-ply or extra soft tissue, it seems i am changing out the roll 2 to 3 times more often than with the scott stuff.

I am afraid to add up how much of the tp is in our septic tank, but so far, using a little ridx, now and then, our system is surviving the millions of scott squares it has received
x2
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
At our Airstream only RV Park, the septic tank system is very old (42+ years) with marginal percolation. So we all do not put anything but TP down the line as we have screens to keep solids from going into the leech fields. The "wipes" do not break down (from helping clean the screens). And some TP breaks down better than others.

We have mostly 4 trailers per septic tank. Fortunately we have a short season of 1 May to 15 October (or earlier depending on the fall freezing weather) as the potable water lines are not deep enough everywhere to keep from freezing.

When I am alone up here, the roll of TP is good for much more than a week. When the wife is here, it barely lasts three days.

We have a six inch clear connection pipe between the hose and the trailer. Lots of white TP flashes as the tank usually empties once per week.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
We have been using Angel Soft in our trailer and have no troubles that I can remember. The key is to keep plenty of water in the black tank and dumping is no problem.

One thing I can testify to is to never put Kleenex tissues down the toilet. They do not break down at all!! My folks had a septic line back up specifically due to Kleenex tissues.
I hear more and more people talk about the Toto handy dandy bidets. Never tried one and I imagine the first time use is a real "eye opening experience". Seem like this would cure a lot of black tank/septic tank issues for people.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Sounds like a NASA acronym.

We would not go back to a paper only scenario.

I mean, if you had that material anywhere else on your body would you be comfortable with simply smearing it off with only paper?

Regards,

JD
Who said I did?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
An alternative is to virtually eliminate TP and use a portable TOTO washlet, available on Amazon, imported from Japan. This travels everywhere.

Even better is to plumb in a washlet toilet seat, also made by TOTO and another brand available from COSTCO online.

once you use a washlet, you will never go back!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
We have been using Scott one ply at home for over 30 years with no septic tank problems. (We do use more than one square at a time)

Last fall, I started using Scott in the RV after testing it in a mason jar: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ml#post2024779
It has worked fine all this year.

PS: On a side note, I started using Scott at home after realizing that "The Ladies" seem to use a fixed length of TP regardless of how many plys or "fluffiness" the tissue has. I estimate they use about 6 to 12 feet per "sitting", at 4" per square, that is about 18 to 36 squares.

When you buy multi-ply or extra soft tissue, it seems I am changing out the roll 2 to 3 times more often than with the Scott stuff.

I am afraid to add up how much of the TP is in our septic tank, but so far, using a little ridx, now and then, our system is surviving the millions of Scott squares it has received
What did you do? Interviews? Measurements? Break out a calculator? Well at least women do think about how much they use. I use much less than that, less than a quarter of that. And yes, the type of toilet paper DOES make a difference in how much is needed and used, wherever do you get these silly ideas?

As a former ASM, Boy Scout Camp Commissioner, and OutPost Director, I can attest to the general usage of toilet paper by the male gender. First let’s keep in mind that they only use it for one function, so, once a day. Tell me then, how is it that they use TP at approximately 4 to 6 times the rate of women? I learned something interesting, men don’t count the number of squares they use. They yank the end and pull out several lengths, then they wad it up to wipe. Every single day their toilets had to be plunged. No matter how many times I tried to explain the fact that they were using a septic tank, they would never change their habits. No matter how many times I told them four squares were enough. The men were the same as the boys. I told the Camp Director that every troop should be given their entire supply on the first night, and sold toilet paper at $5 a roll thereafter.

We live rural at home. There is one very old septic tank between our 1930’s built 1bedroom house, the Big 1940’s Farmhouse, and an old SOB Trailer way out back that is rented. We are all real careful about what goes in it and how much.

Oh, and in the Airstream as well as at the house, toilet paper is stored within reach of the toilet. Problem solved.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
IMHO...TP belongs in the T.
Putting TP with skid marks in an unsealed indoor container is...🤮
17 Seasons with "Cloudsplitter" and 16 with the "Frantic Banana" putting TP in the T without any problems.
It's not that hard to outsmart a toilet. 😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
IMHO...TP belongs in the T.
Putting TP with skid marks in an unsealed indoor container is...[emoji2961]
17 Seasons with "Cloudsplitter" and 16 with the "Frantic Banana" putting TP in the T without any problems.
It's not that hard to outsmart a toilet. [emoji23]

Bob
[emoji631]
What he said. Ratio of water to tp is the key, not tp brand or quality. Of course, we have a 57 gallon black tank and only 2 people, so capacity is not an issue for us.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote