Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #61

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaroadagin View Post
For 5 years full timing, we never put paper into our black tank, using a small stainless food recycling container with 4 gallon bag instead. Just before the "plague" this year, we installed an "Omego" washlet bidet, and have pretty much gone paperless. (We smiled seeing folks hoarding T.P. at the beginning of Covid.) For a number of years I worked in Asia, becoming accustomed to bidets, but upon returning stateside fell back into our customary system. We here don't know how good we can have it! Think about how much our environment will be sustained by the elimination of T.P?
Regardless, droping T.P. in a lined can and easily disposing it in the trash is quite easy and sanitary. Your black tank will be happy, and dumping issues eliminated.

Yuck! Crap in the hole, wipe and flush. It all comes out the bottom when you dump. Use nice multi ply paper for the best experience. TP is not coming from a rare endangered forest...
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. Charmin Ultra Soft dissolves quickly flushes fine and IS approved by SWMBO.

My SewerSolution system macerates it easily and pumps it right out just using water pressure.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Once you get used to using a bidet, it’s hard to go back. We’ve got a Toto Washlet G400 at home, and it’s great. I just ordered the Brondell unit pictured above for our Airstream. I’m looking forward to installing it and upgrading the Airstream toilet experience.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:58 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
ondaroadagin - well said! I use 100% compostable bags to line the TP can so now everything breaks down and returns to the earth. Covid-19 has had terrible consequences for all of us but there have been silver linings, one of them bagging protocols in stores. I spent 3 months on the road in the trailer this summer (New England states), and everywhere I shopped, I was consistently asked "Need a bag?" Say no. It drives me crazy when I see someone order one item and say "Yes" to the bag question. Come on, already!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:19 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Yup. European style. Wipe and bag it, none down the black tank for us. We had a bit of TP not devolve early on and was getting into the valve which made it hard to open and close. Fixed that issue and identified our Tp as the issue. After traveling through Greece for almost a month, it is customary to bag it as well and we just adopted it... apparently it’s similar on boats, so we are ready to sail around the world!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Toilet paper biodegrades and returns to the ecosystem as carbon dioxide and water. The process to get it there effectively involves a small amount of work, but certainly less work than replacing your toilet, keeping a drying towel around or bag for soiled paper. Some brands of paper fibers separate better than others so you can test your favorite in a glass of water with little swirling it should break up within 5 minutes. Use Happy Campers, a natural product that digests paper and eliminates odors to boot. Far less effort, mess and water use.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #67
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Oh, BTW cousin Ruth, when you wipe your BUM please fold it up nicely and put it the bin🤢 ...NOT.

In 34 yrs of Streaming we have not had a TP problem, we must wipe rite and dump good.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Oh, BTW cousin Ruth, when you wipe your BUM please fold it up nicely and put it the bin🤢 ...NOT.

In 34 yrs of Streaming we have not had a TP problem, we must wipe rite and dump good.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸

People sure seem to have different experiences with toilet paper. We've had homes with septic systems and use the same TP in both home and trailer. Mama has always liked stuff that is comfy soft. We've been trailering since August 1971 or about 49 years and haven't had any problem. We use an enzyme for both trailer and septic system, along with a deodorant for the trailer black water tank. We don't dump the black water tank until it is about 2/3 full. When we dump I run about three 7 gallons buckets of water down the hole and let it drain out, then close the black water valve and dump the grey water to clean the dump hose (well clean is a relative term) and then rinse the dump hose one last time before unhooking. We have never had a problem with TP hanging up on the dump valve. Your experience may be different, but our method has worked well for us for nearly 50 years.

If someone wants one of those French washing gizmos, well its your Airstream, but it may negatively affect your resale, either by price or by length of time. Some like a composting toilet; it's a free country go for it. That also may affect how well your trailer sells and for how much.

In Asia where the norm has been a hole in the floor there is often a small bowl of water or a spigot within reach, and you are supposed to use your left hand for personal hygiene. Thereafter when eating its best to sit on that hand so you aren't tempted to use your left hand to reach for food. So, for now, it's a free country and your Airstream, do what you want as long as it's not a Wally drop hole into the ground.
+d

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:17 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

From over two years ago . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The magic ingredient, if you can "stomach" [the] thought . . .

is agitation of the travlin' sought!

Airstreams are designed to be on the road . . . moving and agitating the contents of the black water holding tank . . . into a uniform slurry of indescribable goodness and fluidity . . .

Shall we wax on about the further qualities of this slurry . . . ?

Almost any toilet paper will decompose and disintegrate under proper agitation, especially after a few days of simmering in the warm black stew under the terlit IMO.

Oops, just noticed it is almost lunch time, so I have to run . . . !

Happy trails!

Peter

PS -- For further picky analysis, see the "Fork Fell Into Black Tank" thread:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...nk-146797.html

Bon Appetit!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:36 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Wow. So many people proudly announcing they save their own used toilet paper, to the point where those who flush it seem "abnormal"? Freud would have a field day. Only on Airforums.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Wow. So many people proudly announcing they save their own used toilet paper, to the point where those who flush it seem "abnormal"? Freud would have a field day. Only on Airforums.

I think it’s interesting that you say/believe people save their used toilet paper... a Freudian slip at its best. Ironic.

Pretty sure everyone who chooses to trash their TP ends up disposing of it out of their AS fairly quickly.

This entire conversation is strictly american too. We have the unique title of using more TP than any other country in the world. 4% of the world population consumes 20% of the TP produced in the world! That’s 28 pounds of paper on average per person. First world problems...

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Thanks, but I will gladly accept that American label. I still remember my visit to Russia in 1995. They had NO toilet paper; their plumbing systems could not handle it. There was a basket next to each toilet and a stack of rough newsprint-like paper. I was thinking " any country that does not have toilet paper is not going to rule the world..."
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote