Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
A personal (toilet paper) question....

In our AS we use toilet paper marked “for boats and RVs” that is also labeled “septic system safe.” The paper we use in our house is from Costco and is also billed as “septic system safe” — but not specifically “for boats and RVs.” Is the Costco paper okay to use in the AS, or should we only use the more specifically marked type?
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We just went back to the RV & Boat, from the 'Septic Safe' brand that I noticed wasn't breaking down enough and was mucking up the sensors. Let it sit overnight in water, stir it should end up in suspension. 😂👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I recall this being tested before.
RV brand TP vs. Home style.
Both placed in a Mason jar of water, shaken, and observed.
The common home paper won.

I use Charmin now.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I recall this being tested before.
RV brand TP vs. Home style.
Both placed in a Mason jar of water, shaken, and observed.
The common home paper won.

I use Charmin now.
+1;

Save your money (you can toilet paper on sale) and just use a 2 ply household toilet paper. With the 2 ply you'll end up using less sheets anyway. If you can, drive around for a bit to help break down the toilet paper before you dump.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Cute video from the Fit RV. Guess that is his grandson.

It shows you can do your own tests. If your TP dissolves in a cup of water with a few shakes or stirs within an hour (I'd say 5 mins. should be enough), then you're good to go.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Ouch! I think that was his son.

RV TP is a rip off. Watch the video and it will tell the story.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

Pretty sure James (Fit RV) is just a young looking grandpa, like me!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

_________

Unless you use A LOT of RV/Marine paper you are apt to have brown fingers, vs using much smaller amount of high quality paper from home that seems to work fine. We've tried both and trailered with a black water tank for 47 years, and only once did I have to clean the valve and I don't remember that far back whether it was RV or home paper. We've been using Cottenelle for our home septic system and the Airstream and its works fine. We don't dump at every stop, but let the BW tank get at least 1/2 or more full so the agitation of travel helps. The last 20 yrs it's just two adults and a cat and the cat uses other facilities.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The magic ingredient, if you can "stomach" thought . . .

is agitation of the travlin' sought!

Airstreams are designed to be on the road . . . moving and agitating the contents of the black water holding tank . . . into a uniform slurry of indescribable goodness and fluidity . . .

Shall we wax on about the further qualities of this slurry . . . ?

Almost any toilet paper will decompose and disintegrate under proper agitation, especially after a few days of simmering in the warm black stew under the terlit IMO.

Oops, just noticed it is almost lunch time, so I have to run . . . !

Happy trails!

Peter

PS -- For further picky analysis, see the "Fork Fell Into Black Tank" thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...nk-146797.html

Bon Appetit!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
We've been using Costco brand for a long time at home and in trailer with absolutely no problems. But we don't do much boondocking, have access to sewer most of the time and can be generous with the water. On the occasions when we are in a low water use situation, we keep some of the thinner stuff around too. I really don't know if it's any better, but that's what we do. We've never had a toilet issue that I could attribute to wrong paper.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
If you have a toilet with a macerator, put regular household paper down for a test. That will be your last paper test. The higher fiber household paper usually will not cause a problem with a straight dump valve system, but you are asking for troubles. The paper breaking up is one thing, dissolving is another.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
During my walk-through with new AS, my dealer advocated NOT putting the TP in the toilet at all and his reasoning was solid. Having traveled and lived in cultures where TP never goes in the toilet, I decided to do it. I got a small metal can from BB&B with a foot-operated lid and put it on a square of shelf liner in corner of BR so it wouldn't slide around while traveling. I had to put a reminder decal on top of the lid ("Place TP Here") because throwing it in the toilet is such an engrained habit. I think TP mucks things up more than you think, often settling as an immoveable solid at bottom of the tank. BTW - I use Scott's TP, at home and on the road. It is single-ply, exactly what the over-priced RV TP is, only much cheaper.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I believe the winner is Charmin "Ultrasoft" which is different than the regular Charmin. We tried this and it is just fine for dissolving in the tank.

Now if I could just install a Toto washlet toilet in the AS like we have at home!

Another toilet paper thread or any other thread is fine. Some of those old threads recommend using a phone book!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGeo View Post
In our AS we use toilet paper marked “for boats and RVs” that is also labeled “septic system safe.” The paper we use in our house is from Costco and is also billed as “septic system safe” — but not specifically “for boats and RVs.” Is the Costco paper okay to use in the AS, or should we only use the more specifically marked type?
I've always used cheap, ol' Scott. Breaks down well. I have a mascerator toilet now and the waste water flows out nearly all liquid.

My logic in using Scott for decades is I have no intention of spending high dollar 💰💸on something I'm just going to flush down the toilet... lol 🤗 🤑 😏
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
We never put anything but solid and liquid waste down any marine, RV, or compost toilet. In the long run it eliminates any problems with the waste systems. Paper an feminine products go in the trash.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Or, install A Biffy brand bidet.

https://goo.gl/images/EZsLKs

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
AngelSoft at Walmart works well and is far less expensive than the RV dealer sales toilet paper

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
During my walk-through with new AS, my dealer advocated NOT putting the TP in the toilet at all...
Hi Pat,

Just curious, by any chance was that Eric Davis at Hadocy Airstream in Columbus Ohio? We got the same instructions and took them to heart. We have also traveled to countries where you don't put TP in the sewer system so we're not offended to put the TP in the trash.

I don't put toilet paper in the toilet. I put it in a Simple Human can with a lid and foot pedal to raise the lid and a charcoal Odor Absorb filter stuck under the lid. It honestly does not smell at all.

My wife uses a Toto Mobile Toilet Shower (small travel bidet) and only uses a paper towel to dry her bum. No odor, no mess. She is trying to get me to adopt the same system. The product is on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O1G4LQ..._N03BBbPPJJTGR

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
More than likely you will use whatever is on the TP holder. That being said, what's next? A potential back up. Have one of those long plastic things that remove clogs in your p-trap in your house sink. It's perfect for reaching up the drain to unclog your favorite brand of TP. It hooks on to anything and grabs TP very well. Another trick for using 2 ply TP when it takes out your ability to flush is, one, you realize it's not exiting and is clogged, boil a large amount of water and dump it all at once with the black tank valve open. Repeat as necessary and use whatever is on the TP holder.
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
We only use Scott one ply at home so that works for us.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote