Old 09-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Seattle , WA
Cross country trip

Looking to head from Seattle to Virginia - and with COVID and wildfires - I'm looking for suggestions on a route West to East. Gonna take our time (couple of weeks traveling) - we are hoping to leave later this week or early next week. Any suggestions on a scenic yet somewhat efficient route (if such exists) would be helpful. Thanks. Honk and wave if you see us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	travel rig.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	378643  

14tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
We recently drove from DFW to Woodbridge. I-64 is really pretty drive from Mt Vernon, IL to Charlottesville, VA. There are lots of places to stay. We stayed in Leavenworth, IN an Beckley, WV. Both were nice parks. Our trip was destination focused so only overnights. Definitely look at New River Gorge, amazing.

Happy to give more details.

no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Seattle , Arkansas
Maybe we'll see you along the way! Heading from Seattle to Atlanta starting mid-next week.

Planning on Park City, Utah for a few days.
Pass through the middle, and then more near Nashville.

Stay safe out there!
Rondezous02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Seattle , WA
Thanks...you too...we will be meandering around ...especially given Hurricane Sally is headed for Atlanta area after the Gulf Coast.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
I've done the Portland to Virginia (Annapolis) roundtrip with a boat in tow (before my AS days). Those routes (lightly different coming from going) were rather direct, easy but not all that scenic.
We have taken the AS from Seattle to far eastern Montana, and often driven from Seattle to South Dakota/Nebraska/Wyoming...so I would say:
- Seattle east on I-90 (Coeur d'Alene, Livingston, Little Bighorn, Devils Tower, Black Hills, Badlands...) to Sioux Falls
- Sioux Falls south on I-29 to I-70 then east to I-64 at St Louis (Ohio River route is nicer than I-70...the the Allegheny Valley and Virginia)
I'm not all that fond of the Interstates but going that far in a single trip I think it is easier than alternate highways. As someone who grew up in the Great Plains and spent a fair amount of time in the Rockies, but have been a Pacific NWer for 40 years, I am not partial to camping in the Midwest etc. but there are more nice surprises than one might suspect and others can give you better info on those spots. It is a slog and this is not a bad time of the year to do it (both of my cross country trips were in mid-September!) As bad as Covid has made things it might make for less highway/freeway traffic and the mountains should be fine, though it can snow anytime in the Rockies. Good Luck...it does sound like fun.
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Seattle , WA
Thanks LBelle for the great info! We are looking forward to escaping the toxic smoke in Seattle. I know it's a long haul...but we plan on taking our time. Just praying for safety and no flats or other unforeseen havoc!
Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Portland , Oregon
I just drove back to Portland from Yellowstone (via I-84) two days ago. The smoke was bad all the way from the Twin Falls area of Idaho and got really bad after La Grande, OR. From Seattle, I'd take I-90 and try to stay north most of the way over. Between the fires and the hurricanes, north in Sept feels right. Good luck!
zeekwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Hampton , Virginia
East to West

We did this trip from Virginia to Seattle last August. We took route 2 across . Great trip nice people not much traffic. Would do it again, took our time 2 weeks.
engineshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
Since you have a couple of weeks, why not avoid the interstates? There are some wonderful roads that offer glimpses of America the interstate by pass.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We did 90 from New York to Seattle this year. Plenty to see and an easy drive in general. You can make detours to north cascade NP, Glacier Np, Yellowstone NP, Badlands NP, Devils Tower NM, Custer SP in SD, the spam museum, and the corn palace all before hitting Chicago. Indiana Dunes NP is right off 90. Airstream in Jackson Center is an hour south of 90. Then you have Cuyahoga NP in Cleveland.... took us 3 months to see it all taking our sweet time and spending a month in Yellowstone.

Just food for thought. I guess it depends on what youíre interested in seeing!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Seattle , WA
Which byways did you like best?