Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #101
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lajonchere View Post
Question to the forum - is it possible to plug in a Nespresso coffee machine without burning the power in the trailer?
I think you’ll find that most Nespresso machines run in the 1,500W range or more. If you’re connected to shore power, then this won’t be a problem. If you’re on batteries, then you’ll need to use your inverter for AC appliances. The factory inverter is 1,000W, which isn’t enough to run a 1,500W appliance.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Quote:
Question to the forum - is it possible to plug in a Nespresso coffee machine without burning the power in the trailer?
I think the Bowlus runs all of the AC 110V outlets through the inverter. So short of running an extension cord into the trailer from the rv park electical hookup, you’d have to draw power off the batteries to run the nespresso.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #103
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Ridgewood , New Jersey
Antifreeze and water noise question

Hello. The antifreeze container makes a lot of water sloshing noise. Is there any way to quiet this? Also, reading water tank manuals am I understanding that we are to put antifreeze inside the water tank for the winter? Thank you. Elisa
Attached Images

Lajonchere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #104
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ne-224561.html
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Hello. The antifreeze container makes a lot of water sloshing noise. Is there any way to quiet this?
Only when moving. And you shouldn't be in the trailer when moving anyway

But seriously, it will gurgle occasionally when the impeller in the Alde is starting up. I've never found it to be a problem. I guess you could put some foam around it to muffle the noisy.

Quote:
Also, reading water tank manuals am I understanding that we are to put antifreeze inside the water tank for the winter? Thank you. Elisa
For our Bowlus we winterize without antifreeze. We drain per the manual then blow out the rest with air. Haven't had a problem.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Ridgewood , New Jersey
Antifreeze Question

Antifreeze Question - The Alde website says “use only Alde approved products”, but does not give examples. I was looking at the Cryo-Tek 100 antifreeze, which is glycol, but it also says to not use it with aluminum based systems, which I think the Alde system is aluminum based?

Also the box in the bathroom where the antifreeze goes seems to make water swishing noises all the time which may make it hard to sleep. Wondering if there is a way to dull the water movement noise. We were thinking to fill it to the top if we could find the right antifreeze?

We have so many more questions but don’t want to ask too many at the same time. We hope to go camping this weekend with the trailer for the first time. Almost there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post
Nothing particularly complicated about them compared to other trailers. Many of the systems are very similar to other trailers. Alde, Victron, Novacool, etc. If you have a part that's not working it shouldn't be too difficult to pull it and replace it on your own if necessary.

With that being said, my experience with Bowlus has been very good. No major problems. The trailer is really well made and solid. Any issues I've (minor stuff) has been easy to repair. They have been very responsive to service inquiries.

Since your trailer is no longer under warranty, and since you did not buy it directly from them, it makes perfect sense that they would want an official relationship in order to provide service information.

My recommendation...sign a service agreement with them and get the parts and info you need from them. Probably easier in the long run then trying to cobble the information together on your own.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
You will find several different opinions on the antifreeze. Alde has some they recommend and came out with a new formula but honestly I don't know that it's any different than most of the other products that meet the specifications. I personally use the amsoil low toxicity antifreeze and engine coolant. It is perfectly acceptable on aluminum and other materials that we find in the system while being biodegradable and has low toxicity limits.

Many will say that using a low toxicity does provide some risk if you have a leak where the heat exchanger enters the water line. I personally wouldn't want to drink any antifreeze and believe that I would notice the color change and taste before I ingested any amount that would do damage. That's why I use the low toxicity.

As far as a gurgling noise mine did that when I first got my trailer however once I filled it to the appropriate level the bubbling went away.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #108
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm wondering what the advantages of the Alde system are besides maybe a more even heat, but in a small trailer, who cares? It seems to present a whole bunch of issues to deal with.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Silent heat with less cold zones. I really like the system.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #110
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
If anyone is on the fence regarding a Bowlus Road Chief, do it, you won't be disappointed.

I took delivery of a new 2020 Road Chief in early November and I've spent the time since full timing in Eastern Utah and Western Colorado with my two dogs. The build quality is beyond amazing, I have not had any issues or problems.

The few questions I had were answered very quickly by their tech department. They also included a 175 page instruction manual with checklists and settings charts for the battery and other systems and a dropbox with manuals for everything else.

Post-Covid, stop by and say hi if you see me. In the meantime I'll answer any questions on my experience with the Bowlus Road Chief.
Yankee Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #111
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
We are prospective used Bowlus purchasers and are looking at a lightly used Endless Highway Performance Edition. This thread has been interesting. To the OP, did you keep your Bowlus? Was the company supportive with questions and problem solving.

There is much to like about these trailers: lightweight, lovely aesthetics inside and out, excellent build quality. But there are $$$$. Even used.

We explored purchasing a new one. As has been noted, we were told no in person views pre-purchase. When we asked about looking at any that might be located near us, as trailer companies such as Oliver do, we were told that would be impossible. And in all honesty, in spite of “guaranteeing” a world class buying experience, we were frustrated by what seemed to be an elitist attitude.

The company seems to consider the lack of used Bowluses for sale to be a major part of their advertising plan. It is proof of the attractiveness of their product. So they may not feel much loyalty to owners who are selling or to their prospective buyers? Their website now offers an opportunity to purchase used units occasionally , so they hopefully have acceded to reality.

All of which is to ask the OP, and any others with information: what has your used Bowlus experience been like? As a person who is not handy, and who lives 2500 miles from Oxnard, the Airstreams with their dealer network which can troubleshoot and fix things are pretty attractive. And, we only live 2 hours from the “Mothership”.
Kitcat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bowlus Road Chief: Henderson, Nevada

Three years ago my wife and self stopped by the Bowlus office in Henderson, Nevada.

You need to make a reservation / appointment in Advance as the front door is locked and the receptionist will ask if you have an appointment. If not... or if your timing is good.

We looked at both models on the floor. These are NOT trailers. They are ART on wheels. (I did not check... hopefully Michelin 16 inch tires. We had limited time so I made the best of it...)

We had a nice discussion with Helena Mitchell. She knows every rivet and component used in the Bowlus Road Chief models. Even the details of WHY... and WHAT.

I crawled under the Bowlus to examine the rivets. Perfection.
I tried to find some misfitted part, rivet, component, appliance... nothing.
Everything FIT tight and snug. No cheating with plastic strips on curves.

This is not for the casual 'Go Boondocking' client to tow into the mountains of Wyoming and go Elk Hunting.

Bowlus is JEWELRY. Bowlus is ART. Those on display are breath taking achievements of detail. The cost... a Timex watch keeps time just as well as a Rolex.

You will pay well for the Rolex. It is easy to sell and may appreciate... a lot.

If you are foolish enough to sell your Bowlus... you will get top dollar, if not more than what you paid. It is ART in a living room or in your RV Garage.

I find Oliver Trailers a special trailer, for a specific owner., as well.. not for everyone.

Yes. Bowlus and Oliver mentioned together.

Why did we not buy a Bowlus? If we had room to spare in the RV Garage... I would have one, just to tow around, park and let the envious slobber over themselves.

For Off the Grid Boondocking... the Bowlus would not work for us. This is more for the RV Park and paved road traveler... which would be a very lucky owner. Or for guests when they visit your Cabin in the Grand Tetons.

Comparing an Airstream to a Bowlus is not a fair comparison. The Airstream can do a lot more than a Bowlus. Bowlus trailers are for a different customer, who find the interior components to their liking. It is modern... but Oooooh Weeeee. They are nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	404174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	404175  

Old 09-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Comparing an Airstream to a Bowlus is not a fair comparison. The Airstream can do a lot more than a Bowles...
Like allow me to stand upright? I really do think the trailer looks super cool, but in no way practical. Seems to be a major design flaw if at just over 6’3 I would not be able to walk around inside a $200k+ trailer. Banging my head constantly does not seem luxurious or well thought out and neither does a super cramped space. But, if you gotta be different, you can if you have the money.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Like allow me to stand upright? I really do think the trailer looks super cool, but in no way practical. Seems to be a major design flaw if at just over 6’3 I would not be able to walk around inside a $200k+ trailer. Banging my head constantly does not seem luxurious or well thought out and neither does a super cramped space. But, if you gotta be different, you can if you have the money.

Not all people are Tall. President Lincoln was taller than most and wore a stove top beaver hat. Entering the White House entrance must have been a struggle...

Not all people have $1,000 or $1,000,000 of cash sitting in the Bank at .05% interest at best, for a rainy or sunny day. Not all people buy an Airstream, as it is also too expensive for many short and tall individuals.

No ceiling fans in an Airstream, Bowlus or Oliver.

Of course it is not practical. It is ART on axles. Someone could buy one and put it into the living room to watch television. Not a wide screen, but like those in Airstreams.

The average buyer is not living FULL Time in a Bowlus, an Oliver or an Airstream. Many RV owners see Airstreams as overpriced aluminum cans.

Full timing in an Airstream is common. The Oliver if you like tight quarters.

The Bowlus is like driving your Shelby Cobra to Denny's and loving the attention. Shelby will build a Ford Cobra Pickup in Las Vegas for those who want a tow vehicle that Grandma wants to own and tow... a Bowlus.

I am different. I do not envy what others have. I can afford to buy two Bowlus trailers. One for the wife and one for me. We did not. We wanted different... colors.

Bang your head as you exit the Airstream. I need to 'duck' when entering or exiting our Airstream. Purchase an Airstream and a Bowlus... tell us what you think when you get one or the other.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:03 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
… Purchase an Airstream and a Bowlus... tell us what you think when you get one or the other.
Well, the first thing I would think as I walk thru the bowlus would be my head hurts and now my back hurts from being hunched over to stop blunt force trauma to my head due to not modernizing the design and then, comparing to the airstream, I would think “man the airstream is spacious and well thought out for the modern human.” However, do I really need to purchase a Bowlus to verify I can’t stand upright in it? Seems like a waste of time since we already know the bowlus functionally is not well thought out in that regard. Now, I would need to walk thru one to see if my shoulders fit through the hallways however. Sure looks like I would need to turn sideways just to get thru. Not sure it is worth buying just to be more disappointed when I find that out though
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:07 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Ridgewood , New Jersey
I tend to agree with the “art” comment made for the Bowlus. I find it beautiful inside and out. We’ve made due with manuals and plumbers and electricians helping us out as the systems are similar to boating systems and we have found boat professionals to help us. For avid campers who can afford to pay for the beauty, my guess is that you will likely enjoy this trailer very much.

For the non avid camper that wanted a COVID adventure, you would have to pay up and engage with the manufacture, something we haven’t done since you have to pay them to ask questions which I found ridiculous on such an expensive brand.

We’ve made due with boat repair professionals and rarely take the trailer out. We couldn’t use it all summer as the air conditioning was broken and after writing the air conditioner manufacturer, learned replacement units are no long available and they don’t advise this unit in small spaces in the first place!

Having said all of this, if you can afford to park it in your garden, it is indeed beautiful to look at every morning and for this, I have a smile on my face. I’ve tried to attach a photo from my bedroom window. Hope this non technical feedback is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11ECC157-526D-48FD-B993-9A1DCEB00A57.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	404217  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:26 AM   #117
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
As a Bowlus owner I'd be happy to share my experience. You can either respond to this message or private message me.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I think a Bowlus would be a good match for a EV tow vehicle.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #119
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Thx for the responses here and privately. As noted, it was a state of the art design, 90 years ago…. So while it’s a beautiful work of art, the practicality issue is more debatable. It seems long but narrow and has minimal storage. One of my fears would be banging it up. Who would fix all of that lovely hand crafted aluminum?

Idoco: plz share the good and bad of your experience, either here or in a PM. In spite of my concerns, I am open to purchasing this. I am all of 5’9” so headroom is not an issue. But the functionality of the kitchen is, and whether there is sufficient room for basic pots/pans/supplies etc.

Although Bowlus likes to say these trailers and their systems are bulletproof, and at one point advertised they had zero warranty claims, the reality is all systems eventually fail, and there are documented reports of that with Bowlus, tho nothing compared to the Airstream quality issues reported on this forum.
Kitcat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:52 AM   #120
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcat7 View Post
Idoco: plz share the good and bad of your experience, either here or in a PM.
Here is a compilation of discussions I've had both on public and private forums.
--------------

AS vs Bowlus. Both great campers...but really different layouts and philosophies.

The AS is designed as a mass market camper that is "house like". The Bowlus is a niche market camper that knows it's a camper and tries to be the best/most comfortable camper it can be. So if you need Corian counters, big screen TV's, an oven, and other "house like" amenities then go AS. If you want a really well laid out, efficient, comfortable, well made camper then go Bowlus.

Pros
• Really high quality fit and finish
• Bedroom is very comfy and cozy. Has a ton more room than you would think. The mattresses are as comfortable as my $3000 mattress at home. Even though we have a king mattress at home we have the twin in the Bowlus. Easier to get in and out of in the middle of the night.
• Hydronic in floor heating is very quick and efficient. You can schedule it to turn down at night and pre-heat in the AM.
• No need for electric tongue jack.
• The couch and dinette are very comfortable.
• The kitchen has plenty of space for storage. Good cooking setup. The only "problem" is that when someone is cooking it can be challenging to get in and out of the trailer. Generally not a problem as the one not cooking is usually sitting outside or at the dinette.
• Outside shower extension is awesome. I take showers outside when warm enough. Also great for washing the dogs.

Cons
• Front door no awning
• Wet bathroom if you go with the 24'
• Lack of outside storage in the 24'. 26' has outside storage.
• A/C can struggle in temps over 85-90 and direct sunlight. Putting the awning up on the S/W facing side helps a lot. They may have increased the BTU's of the A/C in 26'
• Bathroom has a lower ceiling because of the sloped walls. I'm 6' 2" and have to be careful when using it. Also I have to take showers sitting down. My wife is 5' 9" and can stand in the shower.

Neutral
• The outside awing is not automatic. You have to set up manually. Not that difficult. Just a few more minutes than if automatic.
• Because the door is at the end there is no awning when you get out. We put a separate, free standing airframe tent/awning at the entrance. It allows us to clean off wet dogs before letting them in. Also serves as an outside storage space and as a screened in porch.
• Not as much natural lighting compared to the larger windows on the AS. Newer models appear to have added windows on top.

Overall we're very happy with the purchase. We spent almost 4 months traveling in it the year pre-covid. It works for us with just two of us and three dogs, especially with the awing on the front end. We've also had a guest on the couch for a few days without a problem.