Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2020, 10:35 PM   #61
Mercury

Currently Looking...
Ipswich , Massachusetts
Bowlus

I agree. The awning is lacking for sure. There is also less space than your unit. We had an Aliner previously so on the plus side I love a cassette toilet. Very easy to use and few if any issues.
B A I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by B A I View Post
We are considering the Bowlus. What we have seen so far we love. My questions are 1. How do you fill the propane tank if it is in the unit? Is there interior access to the tank somewhere? 2. There are no rock guards on the unit like AS has. For those of you that have a Bowlus have you had issues with debris putting Knicks in the shell? Also any regrets? To me the toilet is a plus. We had a cassette toilet and it was great. Less is more there. Thanks for your help.
Greetings 'B A I' and 'ohmman':

Like you, we have been looking at the Bowlus Road Chief for awhile now as well. Have been RVing for 10 years, with the last 2 1/2 years in a 2018 Airstream Classic. In an effort to find a better quality built unit, we started considering the Bowlus, after our second season in the Airstream.

Eventually, after hours and hours of online research, we decided to make the trip out west to their showroom in Henderson, NV. After another couple months of discussing our 'pro/cons lists' and thinking, we decided to look beyond some of the major trade offs for us (the higher price, capacity of the fresh/grey tanks and the single axle) and take 'the leap.....'

Thanks JDS, Tintini and myoung, for sharing your experiences and insight as Road Chief owners, as it helped us 'get off the fence' & make a difficult decision.

We sold our AS Classic this fall and our GMC 2500HD as well and placed a deposit on a Bowlus Road Chief Endless Highways model about 3 1/2 weeks ago.

Good luck to you both with your decisions.

Cheers.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv2017 View Post
Greetings 'B A I' and 'ohmman':

Like you, we have been looking at the Bowlus Road Chief for awhile now as well. Have been RVing for 10 years, with the last 2 1/2 years in a 2018 Airstream Classic. In an effort to find a better quality built unit, we started considering the Bowlus, after our second season in the Airstream.

Eventually, after hours and hours of online research, we decided to make the trip out west to their showroom in Henderson, NV. After another couple months of discussing our 'pro/cons lists' and thinking, we decided to look beyond some of the major trade offs for us (the higher price, capacity of the fresh/grey tanks and the single axle) and take 'the leap.....'

Thanks JDS, Tintini and myoung, for sharing your experiences and insight as Road Chief owners, as it helped us 'get off the fence' & make a difficult decision.

We sold our AS Classic this fall and our GMC 2500HD as well and placed a deposit on a Bowlus Road Chief Endless Highways model about 3 1/2 weeks ago.

Good luck to you both with your decisions.

Cheers.

Congratulations on your purchase. May it serve you wonderfully for many years!
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:51 PM   #64
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This us not something we'd want, but it is cool to see someone recreate an historic trailer.

This is one of several recreations around. There are about a thousand recreations of those small trailers with little wings on the side. Can't remember the name, but I've seen two of them. One was at the Ouray KOA every year when we went their in the spring, but we haven't been back for a few years. Last summer there was one at Jumbo CG on Grand Mesa. Haven't seen a new Bowless yet, but I think they had an original at the Airstream factory parked in front of the administration building years ago.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:27 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I find that I am becoming more interested in the Bowlus as time goes by. We love our Bambi but I am wondering if a Road Chief might not be a very interesting way to travel. I’ve contacted the factory and begun asking questions. This and an attempt to find as much online as I can is a good beginning.
I see that some of the owners are tall and I wonder if anyone is feeling like the spaces are big enough to be really comfortable? I am just under 6’ 3” tall and I hate ducking my head all of the time...
Anyone?
Old 01-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #66
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Bowlus is far more than a re-creation. I'd suggest it's re-imagined while being true to the original idea. The new one is far better than the original product, though they have created their new trailer inside the envelope of Hawley's original design. If money were no object...

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #67
Mercury

Currently Looking...
Ipswich , Massachusetts
Bowlus

Congrats on your purchase! They are eye catchers and hopefully functional as well. We are certainly not rich and the Bowlus price is steep. You can clearly purchase a cabin in a remote location somewhere for comparable money. We love Airstreams as well but are taken by this 'distant cousin' trailer.
The quality appears to be there. I do not know if we had an Airstream if we would take the leap so kudos to anyone who can do that. I spoke to someone at Bowlus and they said they recommend shining every 5-7 years. Does that seem accurate? They claim to be 4 season campers but to me that means getting away from the snowbelt in the winter. Lastly I wonder if they depreciate faster than the average.
B A I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #68
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I find that I am becoming more interested in the Bowlus as time goes by. We love our Bambi but I am wondering if a Road Chief might not be a very interesting way to travel. I’ve contacted the factory and begun asking questions. This and an attempt to find as much online as I can is a good beginning.
I see that some of the owners are tall and I wonder if anyone is feeling like the spaces are big enough to be really comfortable? I am just under 6’ 3” tall and I hate ducking my head all of the time...
Anyone?
Hi Bruce,
I'm a bit taller than you and have had no issues with my height. I would recommend trying to see one in person to reassure yourself.
All the best,
John S.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Hi Bruce,
I'm a bit taller than you and have had no issues with my height. I would recommend trying to see one in person to reassure yourself.
All the best,
John S.
Thanks John
We intend to head out to see them. I am just trying to get as much information as I can beforehand.
Thanks again,
Bruce
Old 01-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #70
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Bowlus Road Chief

No idea on Bowlus depreciation. However, they will happily tell you that every trailer they’ve ever sold is still in the hands of the original owner.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #71
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
This us not something we'd want, but it is cool to see someone recreate an historic trailer.

There are about a thousand recreations of those small trailers with little wings on the side. Can't remember the name, but I've seen two of them.

Older canned ham style with side wings,
Shasta.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
Older canned ham style with side wings,
Shasta.
1941 of them were made to celebrate the year Shasta was formed, if I remember correctly. Similar to a 1961 Shasta, but with a wet bath added. Most of the originals had no bath.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:42 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
We are considering the Bowlus. What we have seen so far we love. My questions are 1. How do you fill the propane tank if it is in the unit? Is there interior access to the tank somewhere? 2. There are no rock guards on the unit like AS has. For those of you that have a Bowlus have you had issues with debris putting Knicks in the shell? Also any regrets? To me the toilet is a plus. We had a cassette toilet and it was great. Less is more there. Thanks for your help.
As JDS mentioned the tank has a fill port behind an external hatch. Pretty straight forward. Just pull up to the propane fill station and the attendant fills it.

We traveled through Newfoundland last summer. Tons of travel on gravel roads. Only some minor nicks that I'm sure will polish out easily. Personally the minor wear and tear look doesn't bother me.

No regrets at all. You can see our travels on tinpoodle.blogspot.com
idoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
I agree. The awning is lacking for sure. There is also less space than your unit. We had an Aliner previously so on the plus side I love a cassette toilet. Very easy to use and few if any issues.
Because the door is at the end of the unit we put a "mudroom" at the entrance. It works out well for us since we use it to clean off the dogs before getting back in the trailer. Also works as a screened in porch.

We do put up the canopy, but mainly as a way of shading one side of the trailer from the sun.

Old mudroom

New mudroom
Old 02-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv2017 View Post
You won't be disappointed. Which model? 24' or 26'?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Anyone?
6'2'' here. So not as tall as you or JDS.

99% of the time it's not an issue. Not even aware of the interior height when inside. And I've yet to hit my head.

The only time interior height is an issue is showering. I have to sit to shower since the bathroom is under the curved sidewall. Not a big deal. And if it's warm outside I'll just pass the shower head through the emergency exit and shower outside.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

New Hope , PA
Quote:
Thanks John
We intend to head out to see them. I am just trying to get as much information as I can beforehand.
We're on the East Coast (PA) if you want to see one in person. We'll also be headed to Maine in May before heading out west this summer.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoco View Post

You won't be disappointed. Which model? 24' or 26'?

Thanks idoco.

The 26'.....

.....just sent you a PM, as well.

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My wife and I looked over the original and modern Bowlus Road Chiefs in Henderson, Nevada.

Some posters being critical have no clue what they are talking about. There are wrist watches that cost as much as many Airstreams. There are diamond rings that will buy a small fleet of Airstreams and a Bowlus Road Chief for 'special occasions'. There are purses that cost more than older Airstreams...

Bowlus Road Chiefs are perfectly capable of providing comfort and years of use to anyone. They are Art on Wheels and when the Airstream depreciates... some day these will be worth every hundred dollar bill spent and more.

Bowlus is an INVESTMENT. Of course many on this Forum would not want to put up the money for one. That does not mean that others will not.

Had I a second RV Garage... I might just buy a Bowlus Road Chief to take out on special Holidays, like my Blue Heeler's birthday, and yours.

We came to the showroom. We spoke with the Founder. We toured the trailers. I found them 100% as advertised. Somewhere I made a Bowlus Thread on the Forum about our visit. I am not bashful to speak up on this Forum, nor to the Founder, who knew every part and rivet used. This is a portable piece of fine Art. Any owner of a new Bowlus is wearing it like my wife's purse slung over her shoulder and my $20 gold Corum wrist watch that I have no use for any longer.

Those who said they were or considering buying a Bowlus... you are one of the few. Congratulations.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
They look very well built with strong attention to detail. My only gripes are the gray and fresh water capacities—although the lithium batteries can run the trailer for a week (per their ads), 19 gal of gray certainly won’t, especially with my wife ��. I would also strongly recommend they ditch the microwave for a real oven. You cannot cook a proper meal without a proper oven—at least I can’t. ����*♂️ Finally, I’d recommend they move all the monitoring panels out of that amazing head and put it behind a cabinet door or something.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote